Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 12, 2024, 06:31:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson - Waiting for Godot [split topic]

Started by Alternative Carpark, October 18, 2019, 08:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
This would probably be better suited to a thread about Bottom, only I couldn't find one.  But if anyone's interested, here's a 1991 TV report on the Waiting For Godot stage production that year with Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson, including clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3bioHoZNi0

the

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on October 18, 2019, 08:01:11 AMThis would probably be better suited to a thread about Bottom, only I couldn't find one.  But if anyone's interested, here's a 1991 TV report on the Waiting For Godot stage production that year with Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson, including clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3bioHoZNi0

Thanks for that. That was a segment from The Channel Four Daily, C4's first foray into breakfast programming.

Handsome devils. And helps to illustrate where the background pathos and destitution of Bottom emerged from.

McChesney Duntz

Twed

Thanks Carpark. This production is high on the list of things I wish I could have seen.

Twed

jamiefairlie

I saw it live and it was great, much as you'd imagine it to be like to be honest, nothing too surprising but really enjoyable.

EBGB

I saw it too.  Wasn't overwhelmed with excitement (despite adoring both leads), but admittedly it's rare for me to be blown away in the theatre.  I'll cheerfully acknowledge that this is a problem with my ability to suspend disbelief enough to get swept up in the moment.

Twed

Wow, this came BEFORE Bottom and is what inspired it.

I always knew Bottom was supposed to be a modern, crude Godot, but I thought them performing the play was because of Bottom, not the other way around.

idunnosomename

gawd Christopher Ryan played Lucky an' all. I assume in Dave Hedgehog voice.

I only know the Pozzo, Phillip Jackson as Jaz Milvane in Ed Reardon.

edit sorry, mentioned, missed that post somehow

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 26, 2019, 08:32:42 PMI only know the Pozzo, Phillip Jackson as Jaz Milvane in Ed Reardon.

He was in a couple of Last of the Summer Wine episodes in 1976.

Has also starred in more recent years in Boomers, which Nigel Planer also occasionally appeared in, so he's worked with all of the Young Ones, the quartet at least.

idunnosomename

He seems more of an all-round actor than a comedy actor per say. but i do enjoy him in Ed Reardon. Memorable performance.

Blumf

I can't find any evidence that the Rik and Ade version was filmed apart from those excerpts for the C4 package. Hope I'm wrong.

The earlier-mentioned idea that this production led to Bottom is incorrect. The first series had already been recorded in summer of '91 – Waiting for Godot opened in the autumn.

Nice fan piece and photos about WfG here: https://rikmayallscrapbook.com/about-me/seeing-rik/waiting-for-godot/

This Sunday marks the 10th anniversary of Rik's death. Where does the time go?

McChesney Duntz

Don't know what it is about celebrity Godots and near-total unavailability, but there's also the 1988 Broadway production with Steve Martin and Robin Williams (directed by Mike Nichols) that appears not to exist either except for a few publicity photos.

markburgle

Quote from: Maureen Brontë on June 07, 2024, 01:58:29 AMThe earlier-mentioned idea that this production led to Bottom is incorrect. The first series had already been recorded in summer of '91 – Waiting for Godot opened in the autumn.

Interesting! Although it is true they were both longstanding fans of it, both considering it to be one of the funniest things ever

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on June 07, 2024, 06:42:55 PMDon't know what it is about celebrity Godots and near-total unavailability, but there's also the 1988 Broadway production with Steve Martin and Robin Williams (directed by Mike Nichols) that appears not to exist either except for a few publicity photos.

This short clip of it just popped up on YouTube for me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1T88LszpurI

nannybot

I saw this live cNov 1991. It featured a young Dean Gaffney as well

Tags: