Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 24, 2024, 12:18:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee: Basic Lee

Started by lauraxsynthesis, September 26, 2022, 10:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

Quote from: Twilkes on October 01, 2022, 09:27:24 PMThe First Noël , The Second Coming, The Third Reich, The Fourth Wall, The Fifth Element, The Sixth Sense, The Seventh Seal, The Eighth what?

Henry

has let himself go

Dr Rock

Quote from: Twilkes on October 01, 2022, 09:27:24 PMThe First Noël , The Second Coming, The Third Reich, The Fourth Wall, The Fifth Element, The Sixth Sense, The Seventh Seal, The Eighth what?

Day

(Hazel O'Connor)

Sebastian Cobb

He's clearly still building momentum, quite surprised to see he's doing two dates at the Tivoli in Aberdeen. I saw him do Content Provider there.

He's hinted some previous shows (either Carpet Remnant or Milder) didn't work at all in Aberdeen, which surprised me because I was there and enjoyed them, I wasn't the 'one person laughing' that suggested he was going out on a limb.

Alberon

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 16, 2022, 07:07:27 PMOn my phone but this is the endorsement you need.

https://twitter.com/Robin_Askwith/status/1581704737829056512?t=FP246e1PxZE7oEOZjaWWAQ&s=19

Here's the photo,

They look the same age. Also, why does Stew carry a giant thumb around with him?

Papercut

I saw this last week, and really enjoyed it.

The Fleabag routine is a little bit uncomfortable, but I think the discussion has missed the point a little bit - he is attacking the reaction to Fleabag, and in particular the praise for addressing the camera directly, which does seem fair to me. What doesn't seem fair is then attacking that in increasingly bitter and angry ways for more than ten minutes, but I think that is meant to be the joke.

What's uncomfortable is that it feels a little too close to attacking the creator for more than ten minutes, but I suspect that, as well as the origin of the show in the one person theatre production, is something Lee is all too aware of. I think he was using this to deliberately make the audience uncomfortable.

Anyway... !

Something I think he is alluding to but doesn't explicitly say in the conclusion to the second act, I haven't seen discussed, so I wondered if anyone else thought this -

Spoiler alert
The part where he talks about going to his doctor last year because he feels depressed, and gets asked five questions - it sounds to me like his doctor is diagnosing him with autism, but then the diagnosis, or even what his doctor concludes, is never mentioned!

The questions were things like 'do you struggle to get on with people? - no as long as they realise I'm right about everything!', 'do you struggle with unexpected changes to your routine? - yes!' which leads the the actual ending of the show.

Have I imagined this, or was this obvious? Maybe it's a new bit of the show, or it was trimmed? It definitely seems to be what Lee is saying, but I don't think it was picked up on by much of the audience.

I think if this is what he is saying, it does seem like he then chooses to avoid spelling it out for the audience, which is a shame. It ended leaving me frustrated that we didn't know what his doctor thought! It seemed like a bit was missing.
[close]

Also...

Spoiler alert
The start and end routines - Jehovah's witness 'Jesus is the answer, what is the question', and grandad seeing his friends die now that he is old - seemed like emergency replacements for some missing Liz Truss material, but I'd heard them before ages ago - can anyone remember what they were from? It might even be Fist of Fun or stand-up from that era. He does say the routine is 30 years old.
[close]

He's been doing them for about as long as he's been a stand up. If you've seen him do a spot on a charity gig, he's done that material, and he's woven it into his shows here and there for as long as I've been seeing him live. It was in the show well before Truss was PM too

Papercut

Ah yes, I think it was a charity gig I must have seen. Interesting that it was already part of the show. Thanks.

Cold Meat Platter

It's in Fist of Fun, either Stand Up or 90s Comedian (not sure) and an episode of Comedy Vehicle.

Alberon

He did it on a Channel 5 stand-up show shortly after Fist of Fun. He was a regular on that show, I think I have three or four on a tape or DVD somewhere.

Probably on youtube already.

Ferris

Pranet

To Papercut's first spoilered bit

Spoiler alert
I heard an interview with him in the recentish past where he said he spent lockdown filling in online Do You Have Autism questionnaires. So whatever the truth of what actually happened it has been on his mind.
[close]

Glebe

Quote from: Alberon on October 17, 2022, 09:09:06 AM

Blimey, we need a 'surprising pictures of comedy folks together' thread!

mojo filters

Quote from: Alberon on October 17, 2022, 09:09:06 AMHere's the photo,

Until I hear an authoritative answer from Asquith around the issue of showering, this photo inevitably only asks more questions than it answers...

Gurke and Hare

Sticking this here since this is the most recent Stewart Lee thread and I'm not sure it merits a new thread: Stewart Lee's first broadcast joke

chip

Quote from: Papercut on November 06, 2022, 01:54:09 PMWhat's uncomfortable is that it feels a little too close to attacking the creator for more than ten minutes

Isn't this essentially what he's done many times before with other comedic creators like Joe Pasquale, Franklin Ajaye, etc? Or is it only 'uncomfortable' this time around because (sigh) it's towards a woman?

Papercut

I think it's more that the Fleabag bit is a lot longer, varied and critical than something like the Ajaye bit. That has a lot more repetition to highlight how ridiculous he finds the sleeve notes of Ajaye's LP - which Lee hasn't actually listened to.

You can't really compare it to the Joe Pasquale bit either, there he is directly criticising Joe for plagiarism, Lee isn't the butt of the joke in that instance.

It feels closer to the previous bits criticising comedians like Russell Howard, but more vitriolic and sustained, so it's a little less obviously ridiculous and a little more uncomfortable.

It might be suggesting that Lee's on stage character thinks Fleabag is particularly good, and therefore is more of a threat, or that his jealousy of younger comedians is becoming more unreasonable over time.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 14, 2022, 03:11:13 PMStewart Lee's first broadcast joke
Came here to post that, because I saw Herring on Twitter say "Wouldn't open with it".  I mean, there's a reason why one half of that comedy partnership is more highly regarded than the other, isn't there?

Twilkes

He's right though, it's not exactly 'Daniel Kitson on Blockbusters' is it.

MigraineBoy

Seeing how the set-up was "Who is Mr X?" and little Stew put a number of punchlines on his postcard, it's like an early version of his "If Jesus is the answer, what is the question?" bit.

atavist

I'm going December the something or other. Looking forward to it immensely, although I'll probably be a bit drunk.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 14, 2022, 03:11:13 PMSticking this here since this is the most recent Stewart Lee thread and I'm not sure it merits a new thread: Stewart Lee's first broadcast joke

I love the fidgety kids at the back. The very definition of 'mucking about'.

Vodkafone

of Beigth

non capisco

Saw it tonight and enjoyed it a lot, although the start of the second half was marred slightly by a bloke sat near me who turned up drunk (hadn't been there for the first half) and started high pitched hyena laughing demonstrably and shouting things like "I'M IN BITS!!" and "I LOVE TO LAUGH!" to the point where he was drowning Stew out. I imagine someone sat nearer to him must have had a firm word because it abruptly stopped like a turned off tap. I honestly thought it might have been someone trying to sabotage the show at first, it was that weird and constant a laugh, although weary old Lee with his knackered ears never referred to it.

That aside, really funny. The JK Rowling routine had me in tears of laughter, a perfect formal example of what he does best whilst clearly allowing him some catharsis from all the shit it's apparent he's been getting off GC/terf fuckheads.

A lot of the first half was him laying into how the previous night's audience had been a load of drunk cokeheads which I assumed was a standard bit at first but appeared to be true as he kept bringing up examples of how they'd ruined each routine throughout the show. He seemed genuinely relieved that tonight's was going as well at it was in comparison, to the point where he closed by saying "All of you come again another night in exactly this configuration." I'd like to be sat a few rows further away from "AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'M IN BITS! I LOVE TO LAUGH!" guy next time, cheers Stew.

hexa

Quote from: chip on November 14, 2022, 03:23:34 PMIsn't this essentially what he's done many times before with other comedic creators like Joe Pasquale, Franklin Ajaye, etc? Or is it only 'uncomfortable' this time around because (sigh) it's towards a woman?

Thing is i thought that was a neat callback to the joke he made earlier in the show
Spoiler alert
"...actually I was being sexist"
[close]
- or at least, it dovetailed that way in my mind.

Quote from: Papercut on November 06, 2022, 01:54:09 PM
Spoiler alert
The part where he talks about going to his doctor last year because he feels depressed, and gets asked five questions - it sounds to me like his doctor is diagnosing him with autism, but then the diagnosis, or even what his doctor concludes, is never mentioned!

The questions were things like 'do you struggle to get on with people? - no as long as they realise I'm right about everything!', 'do you struggle with unexpected changes to your routine? - yes!' which leads the the actual ending of the show.

Have I imagined this, or was this obvious? Maybe it's a new bit of the show, or it was trimmed? It definitely seems to be what Lee is saying, but I don't think it was picked up on by much of the audience.

I think if this is what he is saying, it does seem like he then chooses to avoid spelling it out for the audience, which is a shame. It ended leaving me frustrated that we didn't know what his doctor thought! It seemed like a bit was missing.
[close]

Maybe it's just because it was relevant to me, that bit seemed obvious. Lockdown spurred a whole bunch of people
Spoiler alert
to seek out ADHD/autism diagnoses, to the extent that the waiting list has ballooned since March 2020. I had to act as a character witness for my then-housemate going through that. At the same time, people seeking trans diagnoses went up as well, which vaguely touched on the bits referencing Fay Presto but not JK Rowling
[close]

I saw it two weeks ago and really enjoyed the show - it was the most playful I've seen him in person in years. He referenced
Spoiler alert
"they say I don't go on panel shows because I'm not quick enough"
[close]
and his entire bit about
Spoiler alert
"he's my favourite comedian but he doesn't really do jokes, you have to watch it all" pseud-commentary AFTER mentioning Kitson
[close]
made me think of this place, but in a good way.

I'm really curious to see what actually makes it into the final touring show, as although there's a structure in there, he commented that it's difficult to write commentary that will still land in however-many-months time due to the sheer instability of current affairs and trying to make them relevant to the overall theme.

atavist

I went on Friday and there were plenty of typical complaints about drunk, coked-up office parties coming by accident because the IT guy bought tickets.

There also seemed to be loads of people in the front row who lived near him, which was funny even if it was 'a bit'.

Second half was better, and I enjoyed the Fleabag kicking, even if the 'pick on a more successful/ famous standup/ writer/ personality' routine is now becoming, well, routine.

Who has he done over the years? Gervais, all the Russells, McIntyre, Bridges, Hicks, Mack, Norton, Brand, ....

EggsLikeABird

Does anyone know what version of John Coltrane Stereo Blues he uses at the end of his latest show? It's not the original studio track.

cacciaguida

Went to this at the Southbank Centre last night. Really good fun, with lots of interesting bits and pieces to unpack.

Some initial thoughts:

- Fun to gauge at what point both Stewart Lee the Character and Stewart Lee the actual man became angered by the many many comings and goings in the audience

- Royal Festival Hall is not a great hall for comedy

- The autism bit was him doing the thing he said he would do then pretended to do then actually did but in a way that you might not have noticed him doing it (moving comedy show about life-changing personal stuff)

- Lovely tributes to Cryer and Lock in a way that kept the Stewart Lee the Comedian persona intact

- JK Rowling and pseud-fanboys the two funniest sections

- I must have seen that if "Jesus is the answer" routine 100 times across all formats of the game

- As others say, it could be clearer if his target is Fleabag or critical reaction Fleabag received or PWB herself

- His ankle looked fine when he was doing his "Live At The Apollo" running around...

- He's deaf now?

- So the Shark thing I half read about was a gag, not the stage falling to bits

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Ferris on November 06, 2022, 03:09:47 PMMid '90s at the comedy store

He was very pretty, no wonder US producers thought he could make it over there

Sebastian Cobb

I saw this a few months ago and really enjoyed it, only really discovered Hal Hartley over lockdown so the Henry Fool reference and the music from it being faded up during a monologue in that section felt almost like a coincidental personal reference.

Tags: