Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:25:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 23-24: Part 3: End of an Era - Auf Wiedersehen, Jürgen

Started by Kankurette, March 17, 2024, 11:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The double-barrelled names thing is interesting because it used ot be a sigifier of an upper-class background. The growth in the number of footballers with these names reflects them becoming more popular in middle-class and maybe working-class families, but it's also probably partly because more footballers are coming from middle-class backgrounds. I wonder how much of each it is.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on March 28, 2024, 02:49:25 AMSpanish prosecutors want the ex-head of the country's football federation to be jailed for two-and-a-half years, after he kissed a female footballer against her will at Spain's World Cup victory.

I have mixed emotions on this. What he did was sexist and scummy and shite behaviour for sure but you see worse in every town on a Saturday night and there's no talk about those even being a crime that the police would take seriously.

At the same time there's more serious convicted sexual assault cases getting off without any kind of prison sentence.

It's a weird one and feels like there's political/opportunistic manoeuvring behind it rather than a desire for proportional punishment.
While I don't support prison so I'm not clamouring for Rubiales to be sent to prison, I think it's worth pointing out that only one year of the suggested sentence is for the sexual assault itself. The other 18 months is for 'coercion', which I think refers to pressuring Hermoso after the event to say it was consensual. Not sure how Spanish law handles it but that sounds like a perverting the course of justice-type thing which tends to be treated fairly seriously by the courts (here in England and Wales at least).

Kankurette

Mobius

Well on top of the Arsenal ones already mentioned there's

Myles Lewis-Skelly
Tyreece John-Jules
Nathan Butler-Oyedeji
Jack Henry-Francis
Kido Taylor-Hart
Elian Queseda-Thorn
Amario Cozier-Duberry

Quote from: Mobius on March 28, 2024, 07:00:08 PMTyreece John-Jules
Looked him up and yes, he is related to Danny John-Jules (he's his nephew).

Also at Arsenal some time ago there was Quincy Owusu-Abeyie, although he's Dutch and I'm not sure if we're trying to build an English double-barrelled team here.

Kankurette

Is Cozier-Duberry related to Michael Duberry?
Quote from: Theoretical Dentist on March 28, 2024, 07:05:10 PMLooked him up and yes, he is related to Danny John-Jules (he's his nephew).

Also at Arsenal some time ago there was Quincy Owusu-Abeyie, although he's Dutch and I'm not sure if we're trying to build an English double-barrelled team here.
He was on loan at Wednesday. Sadly he didn't get much game time so cannot confirm if his dancing is as good as his uncle's.

The Culture Bunker

One cap wonder Ian Storey-Moore (60s Forest legend turned expensive 70s Man United flop) was, of course, one of four England internationals with the letter 'o' appearing three times in their surname...

Alas, Forbes Phillipson-Masters was somewhat short of being the level enough to become the poshest named international of all time. 

Kankurette

Hobo

Bart-man was my favourite player growing up. Mostly because I was sat in front of an old flat cap who only seemed to shout "Gerr-up an give it Bart-man" over and over.

49 is no age to go.

mippy

Quote from: Thursday on March 26, 2024, 10:42:06 PMOh good, we'll be spared all the "funny" Wales patter at the next euro's

Did you know Welsh doesn't have vowels lol lol 😂😂😂😂😂

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: imitationleather on March 28, 2024, 06:03:35 PMConvinced these double barrel players are a conspiracy by Big Shirt to charge you more.

Big Shirt's best day ever:

mippy

I wonder if he'd just have 'Jan V-O-H' on there now, like how Jota has 'Diogo J'.

Apparently when Wolves were in the Championship they made him have his actual legal surname of Silva on his shirt as anything else wasn't allowed, despite him not actually using it professionally.

Kankurette

Doesn't van Dijk have Virgil on his back because he hates his dad?
Quote from: mippy on March 28, 2024, 11:27:39 PMDid you know Welsh doesn't have vowels lol lol 😂😂😂😂😂
This is one of the things that brings out my inner grammar fascist.

stranger

Spurs had Troy Archibald-Henville in their ranks a while back, which I thought was a fantastic name.

I don't think he ever made an appearance but was definitely on the bench a few times. Just checked and he's now a youth coach at Spurs.

Quote from: stranger on March 29, 2024, 09:58:08 AMSpurs had Troy Archibald-Henville in their ranks a while back, which I thought was a fantastic name.

I don't think he ever made an appearance but was definitely on the bench a few times. Just checked and he's now a youth coach at Spurs.

Oakley-Boothe and Walker-Peters were also knocking around the academy.

monkfromhavana

From the 1980s, Peter Rhoades-Brown who played for Wang Computers-era Oxford United.

Brian Freeze

Joe Rankin-Costello,

just had a goal disallowed to leave IPSWICH???? top of the league.

Kankurette

Who's this Amorim guy Liverpool are linked with now Xabi's said no? All I know about him is that he's 1) Portuguese and 2) sexy.

jobotic

Kankurette

Saints had a whole load of double-barrelled names in their squad. Bella-Kotchap, Ward-Prowse, etc. On another note, Marianne Spacey-Cale née Spacey, who used to play for Arsenal back in the '90s, is the women's team manager. Hat fucked.

shoulders

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68618210

Entertained by Chelsea Supporters Club's description of their own club as nearly irreversibly toxic!

Catching up with the rest of the world's point of view at last.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: shoulders on March 30, 2024, 07:14:48 AMhttps://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68618210

Entertained by Chelsea Supporters Club's description of their own club as nearly irreversibly toxic!

Catching up with the rest of the world's point of view at last.

Tears

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Inspector Norse

Davis Keillor-Dunn
Cameron Carter-Vickers
Keane Lewis-Potter
Kieran Dewsbury-Hall

At this rate I reckon it's probably harder to list players who don't have double-barrelled surnames