Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:24:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Discogs

Started by Malcy, February 21, 2020, 10:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Had a similar situation last year. I got in a bit of a panic and after a few days they let me know it was being dispatched. I did send a message after a day to confirm they had received payment which was replied to a few days later.

Some sellers state when they are able to ship etc, sometimes being only once a week but I reckon others don't. I always check the feedback on sellers to see when they last had any left for them.

I've always had  great and prompt communication from sellers but didn't on that occasion so was worried as you are but I reckon just give it a few days more before sending another message. Agree that it is a concern when you think you've paid and won't receive the item. It's less about the money as you are fairly guaranteed to get that back and more about the record which may not be all that easy to come by from other sellers.

Malcy

Quick question while I'm here. How is it possible for your max collection price to go down without removing anything? Mine fluctuates a fair bit at times. I thought possibly due to merging of releases but I'm not too sure.

monkfromhavana

Another question, is anyone's search function a bit glitchy? You start entering a name and the options come up, but you can't click on any of them, so you fill out the name in full and hit enter but nothing happens, then you do it again and it works?

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Malcy on April 12, 2022, 05:20:55 PMQuick question while I'm here. How is it possible for your max collection price to go down without removing anything? Mine fluctuates a fair bit at times. I thought possibly due to merging of releases but I'm not too sure.

When they removed Bootlegs being able to be sold my total dropped a bit, but that was a while ago and only happened once.

Maybe they've added a significant amount of your collection to the unsellable Nazi-Punk or NSDM categories?

:TrollFace:

Malcy

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on April 12, 2022, 06:56:11 PMWhen they removed Bootlegs being able to be sold my total dropped a bit, but that was a while ago and only happened once.

Maybe they've added a significant amount of your collection to the unsellable Nazi-Punk or NSDM categories?

:TrollFace:

Shit! How did you know?!?!

Seems to be a lot of what i would consider bootlegs on the site but when labelled as unofficial they are allowed to be sold.

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: Malcy on April 12, 2022, 05:20:55 PMQuick question while I'm here. How is it possible for your max collection price to go down without removing anything? Mine fluctuates a fair bit at times. I thought possibly due to merging of releases but I'm not too sure.

Probably due to new sales or currency fluctuations?

Malcy

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on April 12, 2022, 07:10:03 PMProbably due to new sales or currency fluctuations?

New sales should only make it higher though surely? Currency fluctuations could be the answer though. Good shout!

cosmic-hearse

I think sales are only based in the last 10, so outlier highs & lows will get removed eventually.

Looking at the value of my music collection is very exciting, like a Poundland version of the stock market.

Malcy

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on April 12, 2022, 07:20:14 PMI think sales are only based in the last 10, so outlier highs & lows will get removed eventually.

Looking at the value of my music collection is very exciting, like a Poundland version of the stock market.

Haha isn't it just! I still have to log a lot of my CD's, have bought a few vinyl that i need to submit to the database as they aren't on there too. Have a lot of CD's not on there as well. Didn't realise it was only based on the last 10 but makes sense as to why it only shows recent sales and not all when you check sales history.

kalowski

I love the range of the prices. My copy of Hunky Dory sold for £11 at the lowest and £209 at the highest price.

Malcy

Quote from: kalowski on April 12, 2022, 08:06:43 PMI love the range of the prices. My copy of Hunky Dory sold for £11 at the lowest and £209 at the highest price.

I have more than a few like that. I own absolute shit copies of them though for the most part but a few I have high hops of punting off at a good profit.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Malcy on April 12, 2022, 07:04:53 PMShit! How did you know?!?!

Seems to be a lot of what i would consider bootlegs on the site but when labelled as unofficial they are allowed to be sold.

I can't work that one out either, I assume it's a bug or something. And as someone else has said I think it's exchange rate fluxations, they use US$ as base price. I think.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: iamcoop on April 12, 2022, 04:11:52 PMSorry to bump this thread but I have a question...

I've used discogs fairly regularly to buy stuff in the last year and I've never had any problems.

I bought quite an expensive record from a seller three days ago. Once I'd purchased the record they immediately sent me an invoice (pre-payment), I promptly paid and haven't heard anything since, despite sending them a (polite) message this morning asking them if they could give me a rough dispatch date or time.

Am I being overbearing/needlessly worrying about this?

When I've bought records before even if they've been super cheap the seller has always been quick to acknowledge my payment and at least messaged to tell me when it's going to be dispatched, it seems a bit odd to me that I'm now getting radio silence from a seller after buying the most expensive record I've ever bought.

Should probably add here that the seller has exemplary feedback.

I'm not super worried as I know PayPal's terms tend to be tilted towards the buyer but I'm a bit pissed off I've heard nothing from the seller at all for almost four days now.

I'm being impatient and needy aren't I?

Not particularly but I'd give it a couple more days if I were you. I used to try and post everything the day I sold them but thanks to the novelty wearing off and sales slowing down loads since the double whammy of automated shipping prices and astronomical overseas postal increases, I only go to the PO twice a week now, if that. He should respond though. Is the sellers feedback rating like?

As an aside, I just sold a record to the keyboard player in Belle and Sebastian. He joins a list of luminaires like the owner of Captured Tracks records (bought a Sixths box set so he could use the booklet for their own reissue), Martin Duffy (bought a Felt tape with his face on the cover), Peter Paphides (Orange Juice picture disc and El Vez 7") and the singer from Prinzhorn Dance School (a PDS LP).

holyzombiejesus

Prices/ values fluctuate. That Wet Leg 7" (for example) isn't going for as much as it was a month ago.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 12, 2022, 06:06:56 PMAnother question, is anyone's search function a bit glitchy? You start entering a name and the options come up, but you can't click on any of them, so you fill out the name in full and hit enter but nothing happens, then you do it again and it works?

The Discogs search function is a pile of shit. That's why. It's a pile of shit.

blue jammer

Quote from: iamcoop on April 12, 2022, 04:11:52 PMSorry to bump this thread but I have a question...

I've used discogs fairly regularly to buy stuff in the last year and I've never had any problems.

I bought quite an expensive record from a seller three days ago. Once I'd purchased the record they immediately sent me an invoice (pre-payment), I promptly paid and haven't heard anything since, despite sending them a (polite) message this morning asking them if they could give me a rough dispatch date or time.

Am I being overbearing/needlessly worrying about this?

When I've bought records before even if they've been super cheap the seller has always been quick to acknowledge my payment and at least messaged to tell me when it's going to be dispatched, it seems a bit odd to me that I'm now getting radio silence from a seller after buying the most expensive record I've ever bought.

Should probably add here that the seller has exemplary feedback.

I'm not super worried as I know PayPal's terms tend to be tilted towards the buyer but I'm a bit pissed off I've heard nothing from the seller at all for almost four days now.

I'm being impatient and needy aren't I?

I'd give it another day or so and if no response there's a "seller not responding" link you can click on and Discogs staff will then get involved, the seller WILL reply quickly then as if they don't they risk their account being suspended.