Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:28:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!'

Started by Rocket Surgery, February 21, 2018, 08:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: popcorn on February 19, 2024, 06:10:53 PMargh... busted by the king of glitches.
Glitch King is undefeated, it could happen to anyone

Head Gardener

The actual moment when Peter Gabriel left Genesis

Cloud

I just saw "Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison" come up on the now playing on my phone.  Always thought it was Bright Eyed Girl.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Despite being a staple of classic oldies radio, Brown Eyed Girl was never a hit in the UK. It was a top ten hit in the US, but didn't even crack the top 40 over here.

Actually, that might be because it was never released as a single in the UK. Or was it? I dunno. Anyway.

Brundle-Fly

The video for 'Up The Junction' by Squeeze showed the band playing inside a flat—actually the kitchen of John Lennon's old house, where Lennon had made the promotional film for "Imagine". One of the two girls in the background was Michelle Collins. Also, similar to the "Cool for Cats" music video, even though Harri Kakoulli played bass in the recording, he had left the band, and John Bentley takes his place in the music video. Difford and Tilbrook explained their calmer performance in the video saying that they recorded the "Up the Junction" music video the same day as "Cool for Cats", and they were drunk and exhausted

Steven Van Zandt (E Street Band/The Sopranos) was a major player behind the Sun City boycott in the 80s.

https://www.openculture.com/2021/08/how-steven-van-zandt-organized-the-sun-city-boycott-and-helped-catalyze-the-anti-apartheid-movement-1985.html

Quote(He) had become more aware about racial segregation in South Africa in this period when he heard Peter Gabriel's protest song "Biko."

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 07, 2024, 02:31:55 PMSteven Van Zandt (E Street Band/The Sopranos) was a major player behind the Sun City boycott in the 80s.

https://www.openculture.com/2021/08/how-steven-van-zandt-organized-the-sun-city-boycott-and-helped-catalyze-the-anti-apartheid-movement-1985.html

There's an amusing interview where he recalls convincing members of the ANC not to assassinate Paul Simon for breaking the apartheid cultural boycott.

(shame Little Steven doesn't have the same convictions about Israel, but that's American liberals for you)

buzby

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 25, 2024, 12:13:32 PMDespite being a staple of classic oldies radio, Brown Eyed Girl was never a hit in the UK. It was a top ten hit in the US, but didn't even crack the top 40 over here.

Actually, that might be because it was never released as a single in the UK. Or was it? I dunno. Anyway.
It was released as a single 3 times in the UK between 1967 and 1974 (July 1967 on London, March 1971 on President and April 1974 on London again),  and never charted on any of them. On it's initial release, a clumsy radio edit was made to change the line 'makin' love in the green  grass', and this radio edit version has turned up on some compilations over the years (including the original 1990 release of The Best Of Van Morrison compilation).

DrGreggles

I did a pop quiz round on famous singles that didn't reach the top 40.
Unfortunately, due to the charts being broken, most were no longer true, so it had to be changed to famous singles that originally didn't reach the top 40.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Glitch King on February 19, 2024, 06:09:51 PMSystem status: Normal

Days since last glitch: 824

Diagnosis: Poster popcorn full of shite

@Bently Sheds @popcorn Did this race to post the Bagpuss nugget occur a few Sundays ago when Radcliffe and Maconie played the Bony King of Nowhere, by any chance?

popcorn

Bently Sheds

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 08, 2024, 09:05:20 AM@Bently Sheds @popcorn Did this race to post the Bagpuss nugget occur a few Sundays ago when Radcliffe and Maconie played the Bony King of Nowhere, by any chance?
It occurred when BBC4 recently aired the episode of Bagpuss where Madeleine The Rag Doll & that frog fuck sang a song about The Bony King of Nowhere, causing my Radiohead antennae to twitch into Hat Fucked mode.

popcorn

I posted before I think but the Knives Out lyrics being taken from an old episode of Silent Witness is the best Radiohead hatfuck I think.

dontpaintyourteeth

Also aren't the words to Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors or whatever the fuck it's called lifted from a children's book?

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on March 08, 2024, 01:35:43 PMAlso aren't the words to Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors or whatever the fuck it's called lifted from a children's book?

Indeedy

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on June 17, 2022, 09:48:16 PMCan't remember if I saw this on CaB or elsewhere, but speaking of songs from Amnesiac...

studpuppet

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 25, 2024, 12:22:20 PMThe video for 'Up The Junction' by Squeeze showed the band playing inside a flat—actually the kitchen of John Lennon's old house, where Lennon had made the promotional film for "Imagine". One of the two girls in the background was Michelle Collins.

And apparently the other was Imogen Stubbs! Hat fucked...

markburgle

T*IL - actual Take That once strapped on actual rock instruments and done an actual live rendition of actual Smells Like Teen Spirit in concert during their almost** pomp.

It did not rock:

* actually several years ago
** no Robbie

TheAssassin

Quote from: Icehaven on February 21, 2018, 03:02:48 PMJohnny Marr turning up in Modest Mouse for a while was unexpected too.

Kevin Kennedy, Curly Watts in Coronation street, was in a band with Johnny Marr before The Smiths.  I saw Curly in 2013/4 at a Sisters Of Mercy gig in Manchester, he even got the train home from Manchester Oxford Road (Blackpool bound).

Kankurette

The Foundations (as in Build Me Up Buttercup) weren't American, they were British.

Egyptian Feast

famethrowa

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on April 07, 2024, 12:22:44 PMI only knew about the 1980 shooting.

Are they saying Alan Price is a possible suspect??

Egyptian Feast

I wouldn't put it past the shifty bastard.

Speaking of Alan Price, I was clearing out a load of unwanted shit the other day when I found a terrible, terrible book called Rock Roadie by James 'Tappy' Wright someone got me as a Poundland stocking filler one year. All I remembered from reading it, other than 'Jimi Hendrix was definitely murdered, I swear, the guy who did it confessed to me and then died', was the following anecdote. I really am so very truly sorry for sharing this with you.

If it's any consolation, when looking for this story again I happened upon one I'd forgotten involving photography of Eric Clapton's cock and arsehole and now I need to gouge my eyes out.

George White

True story, this.
My dad, one of his favourite films is Alfie Darling, the 1975 sequel to Alfie, where instead of Caine, it's Alan Price, so Alfie's now a Geordie trucker (my dad was a trucker in 70s Britain - YES, he was Peter Sutcliffe). But somehow he'd never realised it was a sequel to the Caine film (which he's never seen, though he loves the Italian Job and thanks to Mam, probably sat through Zulu numerous times).

Egyptian Feast

I've not seen it, but the kitchen table scene I've just imagined in my head is a hell of a lot funnier than the original.

When Sweden won the Eurovision with Waterloo, performed in Brighton, the Great British Public awarded them nul points.

DrGreggles

Quote from: curiousoranges on April 07, 2024, 10:33:42 PMWhen Sweden won the Eurovision with Waterloo, performed in Brighton, the Great British Public awarded them nul points.

I don't think there were public votes back then, so those (lack of) votes would have come from a panel of experts.

That's a panel of experts.

I must be thick af because I only just twigged the Black Flag logo is meant to look like a rippling flag, rather than just being a nice design of four black bars

Icehaven

After all that hoohaa of Kasabian singer Tom Meighan leaving the band after being prosecuted for attacking his girlfriend, they still got married a year later.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Fuck my Foghat, more like. I only recently discovered that these archetypal '70 American hard rock boogiemeisters were, in fact, English.