Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:58:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kath and Kim

Started by Pink Gregory, March 19, 2024, 10:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

how fucking brilliant is this?

got turned onto it half by Ms. Gregory, half by the most recent thread on Aussie comedy

Really is true whoever said there's a joke in every line, not a wasted breath.  Silly without being wacky (though I've only seen the first series so far).  The weird little malapropisms (I need to sow my rolled oats!) and strange personal habits that aren't commented on, like Kath's speed reading.  Sharon's sports injuries and horrible rashes.  Kel being just quite a cheesy, hangdog but ultimately nice guy in the midst of the chaos.

Although the suburban early 2000s vibe is immaculate, it also somehow feels timeless.  Avoids a lot of the pitfalls of comedy from the time.  Doesn't even hang on the documentary/voiceover format too much to feel like it's indebted to the Office.

I'm sure it's going to have diminishing returns as all things do, but it's one of the funniest things I've seen in ages.

checkoutgirl

Coincidentally watched a few episodes of this the other week. Not sure why I stopped watching but might have something to do with the little Bo peep wedding dress that they both really liked. Took me out of it a bit as the dress was unequivocally hideous.

The Mollusk

Kel is a role model to me. One of the most unashamedly top blokes ever.

Barry Admin

I really need to watch it all again, I absolutely love it. My sister introduced me to it when it was on BBC2, and I couldn't believe how good it was. It was great to have something we could both enjoy together too, thats fairly rare outside of "Seimfeld."

gilbertharding

It was amazing, and felt all the more so because it seemed like something no-one else knew about (which considering it was on BBC2 is quite odd).

Perhaps that feeling explains why it was dropped by the BBC (it was dropped, wasn't it?).

I liked the two shop assistants who were sometimes in it.

Tiggles

The guide of a bush camping tour I did back in December 2003 insisted both that I drank tons more water and that I should watch Kath and Kim at the earliest opportunity (note: December is not a comfortable time of year to be spending a lot of time on the Oodnadatta Track).

I've always been grateful; I remember hunting it down then immediately forcing my friends and family to watch it too. Not an ounce of fat on it.

Shaxberd

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 19, 2024, 10:59:43 PMI'm sure it's going to have diminishing returns as all things do, but it's one of the funniest things I've seen in ages.

Series 4 isn't very good, too reliant on celebrity cameos, but everything before that is great. I don't know why it hasn't become picked up as a camp cult classic the way Ab Fab has.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Tiggles on March 20, 2024, 02:34:17 PMNot an ounce of fat on it.

Hmm, I can't agree with that - I'm just going from memory here but I do recall the quality dipping in season 3, and if not then certainly the two films and final season went from iffy to shite.

First two seasons are solid gold though.

Tiggles

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 20, 2024, 02:55:02 PMHmm, I can't agree with that - I'm just going from memory here but I do recall the quality dipping in season 3, and if not then certainly the two films and final season went from iffy to shite.

First two seasons are solid gold though.

That's fair. Yes, I was definitely thinking of my first impressions when initially getting into it, which would have been the first two seasons by that time.

SteveDave

"I'll have him eating putty out of the palm of my hand" is a saying that's stuck with me.

Barry Admin

It's this one for me, as mentioned in the other thread:

QuoteNow you've heard of those Nancy Gantz pants? Well I call these the Kath Day enhance your fancy dance pants."

https://m.facebook.com/kathandkim/videos/kath-kim-tuesday-910pm-channel-9/1432322413470848/

The whole scene is great, but the rhyming in that quote just destroyed me at the time. I don't even really know why.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Barry Admin on March 20, 2024, 12:22:53 PMI really need to watch it all again, I absolutely love it. My sister introduced me to it when it was on BBC2, and I couldn't believe how good it was. It was great to have something we could both enjoy together too, thats fairly rare outside of "Seimfeld."

I'm getting this as well.  Blown away this is from the early 2000s because it just hasn't aged a day and is just hilarious from moment one.

It's on Netflix btw

Oosp

Fucking love Kath and Kim so much. Everyone who hasn't watched it should watch it.

Go on then, get a move on

Des Wigwam

Any love for the opening credits and theme? I'm a great one for hitting the Skip button about 2 seconds in but watched it pretty much every time. Found them hypnotically awful/beautiful.

famethrowa

Quote from: Des Wigwam on March 20, 2024, 11:12:43 PMAny love for the opening credits and theme? I'm a great one for hitting the Skip button about 2 seconds in but watched it pretty much every time. Found them hypnotically awful/beautiful.

Absolutely! Gina Riley is certainly an accomplished cabaret singer, it's so well overblown. Also always a little thrill to see Tony Newley's name pop up in this far-off land.

mippy

There's an Irish series, Bridget and Eamonn, on Amazon Prime that has a similar feel for me.

Tiggles

Quote from: Des Wigwam on March 20, 2024, 11:12:43 PMAny love for the opening credits and theme? I'm a great one for hitting the Skip button about 2 seconds in but watched it pretty much every time. Found them hypnotically awful/beautiful.

Took me a while to find this but dug it out eventually

canadagoose

Funny you should be posting about it now - my partner and I were watching it last month and really enjoyed it. It was great to find a comedy that was actually funny and that we hadn't seen before. I have no idea why it's not more popular over here.

Russ L

Love it. "It's nice, it's different, unusual" is something I regularly say.

Barry Admin

Quote from: famethrowa on March 20, 2024, 11:35:36 PMAbsolutely! Gina Riley is certainly an accomplished cabaret singer, it's so well overblown.

Fucking hell, I'd totally forgotten how great the theme tune was til I watched that clip Tiggles posted. Absolutely love Gina Riley!

Barry Admin

Quote from: Russ L on March 21, 2024, 10:45:18 AMLove it. "It's nice, it's different, unusual" is something I regularly say.

"I've got one word to say to you..." drops out of me from time to time.

Right I gotta watch it all again.

Angst in my Pants

This had been on my Netflix watchlist for ages, and until recently I'd only ever seen the first episode.
Early last December it started showing as "Leaving Netflix on 31 December", which got me in a panic.
I binge watched the entire lot, including the movies, in the space of a month.

I think it was only 2 or 3 days later when it all got added back to Netflix!
Nevertheless I don't begrudge the panic-induced binge watch, as I'm now in love with the show and already on my second re-watch.

I agree things aren't as tight in series 3 and 4, and the films are far from masterpieces, but by the end of s2 I was so in love with the characters and their world that I was simply pleased to be spending more time with them doing anything.

The only thing that really jarred for me was (season 4 cameo spoilers):
Spoiler alert
Matt Lucas appearing as Sharon's half-sister. It's not that I don't like Matt Lucas, it's just that the character felt so fake and muggy. It's the only cameo that didn't work for me - contrasted with Kylie Minogue's cameo, which was inspired casting that worked perfectly.
[close]

The word-play is fantastic, especially when it's subtle. Remember the visual cue as Kath proclaims "I can't elope!"?

The fashion choices are superb, they fit the characters perfectly.

Even stupid things like the squeak of the patio door set me off.

Des Wigwam

Kel and Kath's hideous way of open mouthed kissing.

The Mollusk

First thing that always comes to mind for me is how brilliantly they take the piss out of the unpleasant one-upmanship of beauty standards that exist between women. Kim saying Kath has got a "chooky neck" and Kath aggressively denying it while jolting her head forwards like a chicken, and Kath describing Kim's upper arms as "fedubedas" which I realised is onomatopoeic for the way the fat bit swings underneath when the arms are raised.

It's been a while since I saw French & Saunders but they used to be great at that stuff as well IIRC?

famethrowa

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 21, 2024, 12:47:40 PMFirst thing that always comes to mind for me is how brilliantly they take the piss out of the unpleasant one-upmanship of beauty standards that exist between women.

It's a sad little moment when Kath sees little Epponnee-Rae for the first time, and within moments makes some snippy comment about her getting fat. From the minute you're born, it begins

iamcoop

Fucking adore Kath and Kim.

First two seasons are about as good as a sitcom gets for me.

Look at me, look at me, look at mooooiiiiiiii

Des Wigwam

Can someone remind me what the joke is with Eponnee-Rae's name?

I did know once but have been saying it over and over with different stresses to try and work it out. Driving me mad.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Des Wigwam on March 22, 2024, 10:35:53 AMCan someone remind me what the joke is with Eponnee-Rae's name?

I did know once but have been saying it over and over with different stresses to try and work it out. Driving me mad.

I always thought it was supposed to be Epernay, and therefore a play on the girl's name Chardonnay. Is that it, or is that just me?

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 22, 2024, 12:51:21 PM[...] and therefore a play on the girl's name Chardonnay. Is that it, or is that just me?
It's pronounced "Kardonnay". It's French, so the 'H' is silent.

Spoiler alert
Alright, "Shardonnay".
"Shardonnay, Shardonnay, Shardonnay"!
You bunch of shunts!
[close]

Des Wigwam

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 22, 2024, 12:51:21 PMI always thought it was supposed to be Epernay, and therefore a play on the girl's name Chardonnay. Is that it, or is that just me?

Starting to doubt myself now but I have this feeling it was something like a misreading of a sign for something or branding. The more I type this out the less likely it seems. A bit like the Baby Cheeses thing.

Speaking of which - that's quite a corny joke but they subtly build up to it for half the ep and then drop it right after the punchline - which I have always thought makes it funnier.