Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:01:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci

Started by The Mollusk, February 14, 2024, 03:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on February 15, 2024, 03:55:52 PMI've fond memories of saying fuck off to multiple 1/10 reviews by Johnny Cigarettes.

I would often seek out low scoring album reviews by particular music critics. So many aspects they hated in artists, I lapped up. ie: like the Gorkys, the aforementioned Ween, Stump, C**d**cs, even X**.

lazyhour

A late-90s Stereolab album got a 1-star review in (I think) the NME, probably a Johnny Cigarettes review. The reason for the 1-star was that the album sounded like jazz and jazz is rubbish.

Mate.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: lazyhour on February 16, 2024, 03:48:02 PMA late-90s Stereolab album got a 1-star review in (I think) the NME, probably a Johnny Cigarettes review. The reason for the 1-star was that the album sounded like jazz and jazz is rubbish.

Mate.

Distinctly remember telling this particular review to fuck off. It was Cobra and Phases... and of course he didn't like it.

tolecnal

And Pitchfork somehow came to the same conclusion and also awarded it a 0.0. Ridiculous. Not the best Stereolab album, but still good.

jobotic

The last two songs on that album alone make it a high scorer for me, Clive Cigarettes

El Unicornio, mang

I used to listen to Bwyd Time constantly, just a wonderful otherworldly atmosphere conjured up on that album.

Also had this single which is a perfect little pop song, although I hadn't considered until now how the title and cover combo would appear a bit dodgy

The Mollusk

Fans of Bwyd Time should absolutely listen to The Olivia Tremor Control if they want something that strikes the same vein (albeit a lot more lively and kitchen sinky than the soft and easygoing feel that so well defines Gorky's). They were the first thing I thought of when hearing it.

lazyhour

Cobra and Phases is one of my favourite Stereolab albums.

badaids

Listening to Tatay again, so many lovely songs on it.  Anna Apera is amazing FFS, it's like a mini opera burning through so many passages and different ideas in 4 minutes.

FUCKS SAKE NO TEA BAGS SHUT UP JOHN

And the Olivia Tremor Control recommend is bang on, Cubist Castle blew my mind when I heard it the first time.

benjitz

I saw Euros Childs live once and was disappointed how boring it was. Think I left before the end of his set. (Was a festie wristband scenario I think where you could wander between venues)

Richard James curated the musical side of the Laugharne Weekend for a fair few years, although I can find no evidence to suggest whether he still does.

That's all I have to say about post-GZM member careers at this point, will update when I have more fascinating nuggets to impart.

Hat FM

obvs was a massive Gorky's fan back in their heyday but weirdly never really investigated the early stuff that much. i think barafundle - spanish dance troupe - Gorky 5 would be in the running for best run of albums. if i were tp make a lazy comparison i might say that king gizzard are a similar vibe.

Head Gardener

I did a mix of my faves a while ago which might be a good primer for their earlier stuff, with a few Euros tunes thrown in too.

GZM mix

sevendaughters

Blue Milk off Cobra and Phases is all-timer

Egyptian Feast

I was so pleased when I got the vinyl reissue a few years back and 'Blue Milk' was a few minutes longer than my old CD. I almost wished Johnny Sharp née Cigarettes was there to enjoy it with me.

SteveDave

Quote from: badaids on February 14, 2024, 05:00:52 PMI also love Barbed Wire on that record.  I'd love to know what Tooty Lao means.  And Auntie Mary, Auntie Joseph is hilarious.

I first heard of them and that song when Stewart Lee played it on his and Herring's Radio 1 show in 1994 (?) they included the end "That noise is unacceptable for the neighbours!" bit from their mum too.

In Cardiff Central Library they had this tape

https://www.discogs.com/release/7336671-Gorkys-Zygotic-Mynci-Peiriant-Pleser

I should've stolen it.

PaulTMA

Are Gorky's the only band to include parents telling them off on releases? I remember buying Patio and looking forward to owning Barbed Wire for the John's mum row, then being overcome with delight to discover an even longer telling-off from someone's dad ("bass sounds travel... much more than other sounds") after Sally Webster.

Gorky's also had the best Vinyl Justice appearance, and they didn't even need to particularly do much:

SteveDave

I found that Adrian Baker album mentioned in the above clip in a charity shop a few years ago and bought it for the MEGALOLZ. Turns out it's got an amazing version of "I Feel Fine" on it

daf

Quote from: Head Gardener on February 22, 2024, 09:29:17 AMI did a mix of my faves a while ago which might be a good primer for their earlier stuff, with a few Euros tunes thrown in too.

GZM mix

Here comes GZM!

badaids

Quote from: SteveDave on February 22, 2024, 01:59:32 PMI first heard of them and that song when Stewart Lee played it on his and Herring's Radio 1 show in 1994 (?) they included the end "That noise is unacceptable for the neighbours!" bit from their mum too.

In Cardiff Central Library they had this tape

https://www.discogs.com/release/7336671-Gorkys-Zygotic-Mynci-Peiriant-Pleser

I should've stolen it.

Oooh, yes deffo would have filched that.

« Miriam O Farbel peiriant pleser. » 

The way Euros rasps that is great.

benjitz

Quote from: PaulTMA on February 22, 2024, 02:07:46 PMAre Gorky's the only band to include parents telling them off on releases?

I think this happens on a few early Daniel Johnston tracks, I forget which.

jobotic

Not a telling off but there's Aphex Twin's mum saying "you've got so many machines Richard"

How I Long to Feel That Summer in my Heart is an album I'm always in the mood for. Absolute bliss. Standout tracks are Stood on Gold, Dead-aid, Can Megan and particularly Christina, which i became totally obsessed with, after seeing them perform it live.

This thread looks like a treasure trove, can't wait to eat up some more Gorky's stuff!

badaids

Listening to Siwt Nofio, what a banger it is.

The breakdown with the « a ke ke ke ke ke ke ke ke » at the end is amazing. 

holyzombiejesus

I've got a 1hr Radio Wales Gorkys' special if anyone's interested? Don't think there's any input from band members though. Also got a (quiet) bootleg from when they supported Yo La Tengo towards the end, and a compilation of b-sides?

It really frustrates me how Euros is working with deadbeats like Raymond McGinley when Richard James is just sat around at home looking like a beautiful farmer.

lazyhour

Very interested in the radio show, please!

LordMorgan

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 04, 2024, 12:46:21 PMI've got a 1hr Radio Wales Gorkys' special if anyone's interested? Don't think there's any input from band members though. Also got a (quiet) bootleg from when they supported Yo La Tengo towards the end, and a compilation of b-sides?

It really frustrates me how Euros is working with deadbeats like Raymond McGinley when Richard James is just sat around at home looking like a beautiful farmer.

I have to ask the question.
How the fuck is Raymond McGinley a dead beat?

holyzombiejesus

He looks like a vicar and his songs are very poor.

DrGreggles

I like Ray, and some of his songs.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: lazyhour on April 04, 2024, 05:12:11 PMVery interested in the radio show, please!

PM me your email, unless there's an easier way than weTransfer to share...

Head Gardener

27 years to the night since I first saw them in Northampton, I met the band afterwards too and Euros Childs was such a lovely chap, but you could have probably guessed that. They ended up playing in the bar as there were not enough folk in the venue to fill up the main hall, to be honest the intimacy of that made it even better!