Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:19:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Super Furry Animals

Started by the psyche intangible, February 01, 2014, 07:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolecnal

I like how Hey venus!, which is their most 'standard' album, features songs like "Carbon Dating" and "Baby Ate My Eightball," which sound like nothing else they've ever done. Doesn't mean they're great songs, though I like both, but it's still got its place in their discography as being pretty unique in comparison to the rest of their albums. "Into the Night" is also really unique and even their standard 'power-pop' single-sounding songs are pretty much perfectly executed. I am listening to it without the expectation of it being 'their latest & best album ever,' which was basically how I operated back then, so I appreciate it for what it is 17 years (gulp) later.

DD/LY is loose & I dig the vibe. Definitely the best drumming and bass work on any of their albums, just listen up when you get to "Helium Hearts" or "Pric." I was even tapping along to "Mt." today anad I used to find it a slog. Maybe I got used to Cian's voice in the interim between DD/LY and today.  I also think 'White Socks/Flip Flops' is one of their best songs ever and that's got to count for something.

dr beat

Quote from: Glyn on February 09, 2024, 03:05:51 PMAgree with a lot of the above but if you want an exact point I'd say Radiator is close to being perfect.

I am of that view too.  I know there's been some complaints about the production, but there isn't a duff track.  In that sense I would agree its perfect.

kalowski

I literally love every SFA album. I wouldn't be without any of them. Taken me a while but managed to get them all on vinyl.

Key

I love all of em too but they do have their weaknesses, especially the last few. I think Love Kraft is prob my least favorite - Lazer Beam aside its just a bit too sedate and sluggish. They were going for lazy 70s California sunshine vibes but it just comes off too zonked out for my tastes. And its front loaded with non-Gruff songs.

tolecnal

Lazer Beam is by far the worst track on that album, imo. I can't figure out what they were trying to do with it but ultimately it's the weak chorus that lets it down for me. Just not fun or catchy enough. It sounds like a racket. The strings are the best bit. Based on the re-issues it seems like they'd been working on a demo for a while and probably forced it out so they'd have a poppy song on the album.

SteveDave

The whole reason I never heard "Love Kraft" until 3 years ago was that I disliked "Phantom Power" so much.

"Love Kraft" has got an "ALBUM" feeling (I'm not saying "vibe") like an early 70s Beach Boys record. The mixture of lead singers on each song takes it out of "another album by SFA" into a new place. There's also a lightness of touch on it like the songs could float away into the atmosphere at any moment. I even like "Back On A Roll".

I had a dream last night that I found it on vinyl for £5. It was 3 10" records in a fat sleeve.

tolecnal

I like 'Back on a Roll.' It's stupid, yeah, but has a nice spirit to it. I also like 'The Horn.' Honestly, Gruff's songs are the biggest duds on that one for me. Not all of them, but I could name 2 tracks on there I'd rather never hear again & they've got his imprint.

non capisco

Cloudberries and Frequency are two of Gruff's loveliest songs, I reckon. There's more hits than misses on Love Kraft for me, prefer it to Phantom Power (although Slow Life is an absolute all timer in their catalogue, it's either that or Receptacle for the Respectable as my favourite SFA jam. I don't know why a bloke singing "Rocks are slow life" over and over again has frequently made me well up but it has.)

tolecnal

Quote from: non capisco on February 13, 2024, 10:03:57 AMCloudberries and Frequency are two of Gruff's loveliest songs, I reckon. There's more hits than misses on Love Kraft for me, prefer it to Phantom Power (although Slow Life is an absolute all timer in their catalogue, it's either that or Receptacle for the Respectable as my favourite SFA jam. I don't know why a bloke singing "Rocks are slow life" over and over again has frequently made me well up but it has.)
'Lazer Beam' and 'Psyclone!' are the ones that sort of drive me crazy in a bad way. Just seem like a bad use of his songwriting & lyrical abilities. I don't really know what went on when they recorded it but it was a step down in ambition from RAtW and Phantom Power. The pre-release press suggested it would be an epic, opening with their most daring and their longest song yet, "Zoom!" "Zoom!" is good but even that one seems like it's lacking something that makes it a truly great SFA song. I always enjoyed it live, however.

I love Sean O'Hagan, who does all the string arrangements, and I think he's probably the best thing about the entire album.

I don't think they ever released a bad album, though, and I even like Das Koolies a lot.

The string arrangement on Cloudberries just elevates what is already a beautiful song into something heavenly.

Hat FM

yeah always been a big fan of love kraft. would listen to it before DDLY i think. Agree with the comments about lazer beam though. maybe it was one of those where the record company told them they needed something upbeat for the first single. it didnt make a dent on playlists of charts (No28 in the UK charts apparently) so i wonder if releasing Frequency would have achieved favourable results. Agree also that cloudberries is a beaut.

Retinend

On Wednesday I saw him in Berlin and I found the newest material as disappointing as the rest of you.

Seeking New Gods was so good (a 5/5 modern classic imo) that I went into this experience without even listening to the new album, Sadness Sets Me Free beforehand, wanting to SAVOUR the experience; EXPERIENCE the songs live first. I was underwhelmed by all of them. The only moments I liked were when he did the "oldies." Namely he revisited the title track from American Interior, played Gyrru Gyrru Gyrru from Candylion and Shark Ridden Waters from Hotel Shampoo. Oh, and the title track from Pang! was good too. That was it for highlights - four old songs.

Yeah so the new songs... poor all round. Sadness Sets me Free has a one-note melody. Bad Friend is boring. Celestial Candyfloss is good - but it was worse live, with no violinist to brighten it up like on the record. Silver Lining Lead Balloons - leaden. Far Side of the Dollar - forgettable. They Sold My Home To Build a Skyscraper - irritating. Peace Signs - weak. Cover Up The Cover Up - failed epic. Tendered My Resignation - I think it's a good example of Rhys's fine way with words, but fuck me, did this go on too long live. You tendered your resignation we get it. I'll Keep Singing - please don't.

His worst album to date. Now I get what all the non-fuss is about ITT.

tolecnal

I didn't think it was that bad, though I haven't put it on in a month, but I'm at the point where I'd much rather hear the next Das Koolies LP than anything by Gruff because I at least know it'll have that mysterious and entertaining unpredictability SFA used to provide. All they need to do is try to write some words to their songs next time and it could be brilliant.

The Mollusk

I've still got a spare CD copy of the Gruff album if anyone wants it. Happy to post it out for free.

Hat FM

Quote from: Retinend on March 02, 2024, 03:37:46 PMOn Wednesday I saw him in Berlin and I found the newest material as disappointing as the rest of you.

Seeking New Gods was so good (a 5/5 modern classic imo) that I went into this experience without even listening to the new album, Sadness Sets Me Free beforehand, wanting to SAVOUR the experience; EXPERIENCE the songs live first. I was underwhelmed by all of them. The only moments I liked were when he did the "oldies." Namely he revisited the title track from American Interior, played Gyrru Gyrru Gyrru from Candylion and Shark Ridden Waters from Hotel Shampoo. Oh, and the title track from Pang! was good too. That was it for highlights - four old songs.

Yeah so the new songs... poor all round. Sadness Sets me Free has a one-note melody. Bad Friend is boring. Celestial Candyfloss is good - but it was worse live, with no violinist to brighten it up like on the record. Silver Lining Lead Balloons - leaden. Far Side of the Dollar - forgettable. They Sold My Home To Build a Skyscraper - irritating. Peace Signs - weak. Cover Up The Cover Up - failed epic. Tendered My Resignation - I think it's a good example of Rhys's fine way with words, but fuck me, did this go on too long live. You tendered your resignation we get it. I'll Keep Singing - please don't.

His worst album to date. Now I get what all the non-fuss is about ITT.

fcuking love cover up the cover up.