Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:47:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Those flatscreen TVs even people without jobs have now

Started by Sony Walkman Prophecies, December 22, 2014, 07:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: momatt on December 22, 2014, 06:51:01 PM
Ha ha, soz.  I just think people who don't already have hifis in their lounges are weird.  i.e. everyone.
I'm sure these 'sound' 'bars' are just lovely.

I'VE GOT A HI-FI IN MY LOUNGE BUT OWING TO THE LAYOUT IT'S AT THE OTHER END OF THE ROOM AND I DON'T WANT WIRES TRAILING ALL OVER THE PLACE!

AAAAAAARGH, WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO RUIN MY LIFE!!???!!

momatt

Sounds like you're ruining your own life.
I bet you put the speakers right next to each other to 'save space' too.
You make me sick.

biggytitbo

I'd rather go deaf than spend loads of money on stupid flash speakers. It's only fucking excited ossiliating molecules you audio cunts.

remedial_gash

I've got a 32" standard def (but 100hz) JVC CRT that weighs over 50 kilos and made my Dad (who has a recently emerged heart problem) and my younger brother carry it into my flat while I looked a bit concerned but otherwise didn't help. Beat that!

Noodle Lizard

When I was a student in 2008 or 9, I bought a PS2 (ever being the hip-and-with-it cool cat) to play in my dorm room with all my friends.  So I needed a TV, obvs.  There was nothing affordable in those days, I tell you.  I ended up having to walk all the way to Argos to buy one of those massive fucking rom-cock boxes which somehow combine a square foot package with only a 10-inch screen or something.  It didn't even have an in-built VHS player and actually made that "TV going on" sound.  Rubbish.  It took up most of my desk and cost around seventy quid at the time.  Shite.

Anyway, now I hear of people getting really nice 20+ inch flatscreens for not much more than that.

P.S. Soundbars are really bloody good now (especially since they usually come with a separate subwoofer) and work for almost any room layout.  Having that thing on whilst playing Alien Isolation pretty much made me want to wear a nappy.  So I turned it off.

biggytitbo

TVs are always a bastard to buy because literally as soon as you get it home a more advanced model has come out and the one you bought has lost 50% of its value.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: biggytitbo on December 27, 2014, 12:13:12 PM
TVs are always a bastard to buy because literally as soon as you get it home a more advanced model has come out and the one you bought has lost 50% of its value.

Also because when you try to buy one they always say "Go away you bankrupt homosexual."

biggytitbo

That's the new voice functions at work, these new smart TVs can get quite sassy! I had quite a long argument with my tv the other day because it didn't want to watch the would I lie to you Christmas special. It got quite nasty in the end but the repair man finally managed to extract the fork from its expansion slot and only pride was ultimately hurt.

katzenjammer

I'm considering getting a smart TV, similar to the Samsung mentioned in this thread so I'm pleased people are happy with it, but what's putting me off are the privacy issues.  After agreeing to the terms and conditions, which you have to do in order to use the 'smart' features, your TV sends a shit load of data about what you do with it to the manufacturer.  This blog post concerns LG TVs, but Samsung, Sony et al do it too.  Spooky stuff.

Benevolent Despot

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 27, 2014, 07:58:49 AMP.S. Soundbars are really bloody good now (especially since they usually come with a separate subwoofer) and work for almost any room layout.  Having that thing on whilst playing Alien Isolation pretty much made me want to wear a nappy.  So I turned it off.

Are they good value though? I simply have a set of 2.1 PC speakers plugged into the headphone socket on my TV. It delivers suitably cinematic sound when needed. It cost me £30 about 9 years ago and has been the stalwart of my audio world. They were such good value, I bought two! One for PC, one for TV. Logitech x-230. Yes.