Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,330
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:42:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

[Football] - The Transfer Window Is [OPEN]

Started by Slaaaaabs, May 30, 2007, 10:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Re the Sweden Denmark match, can't believe the ref abandoned the match just because of that. He wasn't even properly punched, the supporter's arm touched the side of his face and he was immediately protected by the Denmark players. What a prick

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think he was perfectly entitled to go off if he felt unsafe. The stewards at the ground have a job to protect the players and officials and they failed, which couldn't have helped the officials confidence. Why not think "If I'm getting attacked, this isn't worth it, it's a kick-about on a field for christ-sake". I imagine that's what that Swedish ref thought when he got that knife chucked at him. "Let me free from these psychotic goons A.S.A.P"

I know what you're saying but I just don't believe that all these years this guys been refereeing, he's never experienced an angry supporter running on the field to berate him, does he abandon matches every time something like this happens?

It was the last minute, it was 3-3 and he'd just awarded a penalty. Another few seconds and the game is over.

buttgammon

That's it. If it was at 0-0 about ten minutes into the match, I could have understood why he wouldn't have wanted to spend another 80 minutes out there, especially if there was a proper pitch invasion with multiple people instead of one nutter. With one minute left and a penalty yet to be taken, it seemed the worst possible time to abandon it. If the score was, say 2-0 to either side making it look unlikely anything could really change, then I could understand that too. Unfortunately, the exact moment he abandoned it (at 3-3, a minute left, Denmark down to 10 men, Sweden yet to take a penalty) was the worst moment any referee could ever abandon a match.

God I wish Poll was the ref, its classic Graham!

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I suppose all the 'fan' attacking the ref stuff distracts from the shameful behaviour of the Denmark defender who punched the Swedish player in the chest. It probably didn't hurt all that much, but it's still well out of order.

buttgammon

Well, just because he's a player and had a right to be on the pitch doesn't mean he had the right to go about doing that.

Is that why Sweden were given a penalty or did he do it afterwards? It's out of order, irrespective of whether or not he was provoked as he claimed, although he obviously couldn't have forseen the chain of events which followed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Poulson has a terrible disciplinary record and has done this type of thing a few tmes before.

buttgammon

Is he like Denmark's answer to Joey Barton, then?

I bet Kierkegaard would have had something to say about his countryman.

Uncle TechTip

Haha, the ref got clothes-lined. Was that Jan Molby I heard reporting later?

boki

Errr, The Times are reporting that Keiron Dyer was used at right-back in a practice match - are England going for the wonkiest 3-5-2 evarrrr or something?  Still, you can't say Dyer isn't used to slotting in wherever he can...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

A good idea as we'll be spending most of our time in their half.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

They might not be that much of a pushover. Croatia only managed to beat them 1-0 the other day.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

We'll still be spending most of our time in their half, in a mostly unsuccessful, tedious, and excruciatingly dull struggle to get it in the net. We all know it but due to us all undertaking therapy sessions in order to have the mental scars of previous matches sequestered from our temporal lobes and stored in lead-lined canisters in the core of the earth, don't want to remind ourselves.

Hobes

Any Leeds fans?

Leeds United creditors today were almost forced into accepting the farcical sum of a repayment of 1p for every £1. Whilst writing off millions of pounds worth of debt Leeds have entered the murky world of absolute debt.

They're unable to begin normal trading for a further 28 days, they are only able to attract new players on either Bosman or players on expired or released form their contracts.

People who said immediately after they went into administration that they would be debt free were sorely mistaken. Let's not forget that when KPMG first adopted the case they said that the club needed a swift investment of £10 million just to remain functional, and Ken Bates was only able recently to provide proof of funds to the extent of £500,000. Add to that probable legal challenges to this, bearing in mind that even KPMG dosn't know the identity of the club's largest creditor, and the notion that Leeds will start next season as a non-league team suddenly starts to look alarmingly possible.

But above all it's the moral side that gets me over this. Amongst the creditors screwed over this 1p in the pound proposal are a children's hospice and Saint John's Ambulance. It's hard to believe just how lopsided the football league's regulations are, which means that the likes of Michael flipping Rickett's must be paid in full whilst two bona fide charities recieve almost nothing

Hobes, I recommend that you read Tom Bower's Broken Dreams (a couple of years old now but still relevant).  You'll love people like Ken Bates and Terry Venables even more after reading it.

Where's the source for the KMPG not knowing the identity of the major creditor?

rjd2

Quote from: ccbaxter on June 01, 2007, 12:52:13 AM
RJD2 is overrated.
(Though I do agree about Torres, mind...)

Rooney as sole central striker - why? No really, why? Sir Alex, a week and a half ago, why?

You have to be rated to be overrated!!
Anyways
Anyways I think C4 have a show where nurses went to very premiership football club and asked them to donate one day's wages. The petty fuckers then went and published the names in an attempt I assume to shame those who didn't. . Firstly charity should be private and secondly nurses have to realise they are not a bloody charity and it's not footballers responsibility to help them out. I don't suppose the nurses donate money to people who are worse of than them?

Anyways the site if you want to check them out
http://www.maydayfornurses.com/

Quote from: rjd2 on June 05, 2007, 06:21:34 PM
The petty fuckers then went and published the names in an attempt I assume to shame those who didn't. . Firstly charity should be private and secondly nurses have to realise they are not a bloody charity and it's not footballers responsibility to help them out.

I agree completely, but don't understand, why did you then post the list of those who donated. Posting the list so we can all pass judgement on those who did and didn't donate only serves to contradict your very vaild point that charity should be private.

Emma Raducanu

Robbie Fowler could give up a days rent revenue and the nurses would be able to retire.

rjd2

Quote from: Regular Chicken on June 05, 2007, 07:01:13 PM
I agree completely, but don't understand, why did you then post the list of those who donated. Posting the list so we can all pass judgement on those who did and didn't donate only serves to contradict your very vaild point that charity should be private.

Yeah was thinking that although I did not think any less of any player who did not contribute myself. I suspect that some media savvy chairmen knowing their was a c4 show coming sent some orders down!

drberbatov

I get the same feeling watching an England match that I do when watching an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

hoverdonkey

Barton getting £70,000 a week at Newcastle? Hahaha. I presume Viduka will be on a similar wedge.

Hobes

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on June 05, 2007, 12:47:48 PM

Where's the source for the KMPG not knowing the identity of the major creditor?

A report from a creditor who was at the meeting, I'll try and dig up confirmation. It was told to me by a financial advisor, who heard from this creditor, who is a friend and I have no reason not to believe him.

I was told that basically KPMG don't know the identities of the directors of the largest creditor, but they have recieved affidavits to the affect that they have nothing to do with Bates. Make of that what you will.

Star Stories - David and Victoria is being shown (presumably a repeat?) on C4 now, the bit with Venables at the start was class.

Meh the rest of it was pretty shit. Did anyone catch England under 21s v Slovakia earlier. Pleased for psycho, good result

Football's silly season has truly arrived.  Thierry Henry has apparently been "spotted" at Liverpool's Melwood training ground.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on June 06, 2007, 02:20:16 PM
Football's silly season has truly arrived.  Thierry Henry has apparently been "spotted" at Liverpool's Melwood training ground.

Money on it being Jermaine Pennant after a haircut

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Regular Chicken on June 05, 2007, 11:48:23 PM
Star Stories - David and Victoria is being shown (presumably a repeat?) on C4 now, the bit with Venables at the start was class.

I saw the Alex Ferguson bit, except with the sound off. But it looked as if it had shades of Harry Enfield. Unfortunately the other glimpses at the screen made it look considerably worse than that.

What's the score tonight then, anyone?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote"I have heard it said that footballers are all about flash cars and expensive watches, but for me, it is all about winning medals and it hurts me that I haven't any."

HAH! Welcome to Newcastle!

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

2-0 England but after the usual ramshackle performance. Crouch and Gerrard to score.