Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:11:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football 2014/15

Started by Utter Shit, November 06, 2014, 10:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Mobius on November 12, 2014, 08:38:00 AM
The people broadcasting it must have stopped sharing, or it got taken down by the authorities.

I use this place.

http://www.wiziwig.tv/competition.php?part=sports&discipline=football

Acestream is fine, it just runs like VLC. I dunno if there's malware but I've used it for a year or so without issue. I find the streams run better on there than Sopcast/browser.

That's what I use too. I can usually get a lovely 2000kbps HD stream (sometimes even up to 5000kbps). When I hook it up to my telly it's just like having BT Sports HD, save for the occasional buffering.

mook

QuoteWorld Cup 2022: Qatar to be cleared of corruption over bid

wonder how much that cost 'em?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30031405

monkfromhavana

The Qatar world cup is going to be so shit.

Even though Russia probably bribed people I think it's a good thing for Eastern Europe to get the WC. They're football countries, there will be use for the stadiums afterwards, it's feasible to play there.

OK, we have to ignore the endemic corruption, racism, homophobia, human rights abuses, but that's par for the course.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

There's your corruption in human and paper form.

Obel

I'm really looking forward to the Qatar world cup. We can make the game operate more like American Football. Have the plays stop every few minutes for water breaks so the teams can cool down and stop passing out, all under the guise of strategic team talks.
Plus the crowd will likely be covered up and way too hot to get any energy going. Maybe some riots will break out!?

It's going to be GREAT

BlodwynPig

monkfromhavana

I follow Henry Winter on Twitter, but I'm a bit baffled by his assertion that one of the reasons England - Slovenia is nearly sold out is because people want to see Rooney 'earn' his 100th cap.

Really?????

I always thought the only reason fans would attend to see a particular player play are if they support a non-league/lower league team and a faded megastar signs up. They'd watch one game, then never bother again.

Onken

Henry Winter is full of shit. He's Hodgson's biggest alley in the media. 

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Onken on November 13, 2014, 07:32:47 PM
Henry Winter is full of shit. He's Hodgson's biggest alley in the media.

They've all got big alleys by the time I'm finished with them.

Onken

Squink

QuoteEngland's bid team, praised for co-operating with Garcia's investigation, was criticised for trying to woo then Concacaf president Jack Warner by paying £35,000 for a dinner

To be fair, the price of bangers n' mash is prohibitively expensive these days.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/13/farce-fifa-michael-garcia-erroneous-ethics-report

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Martin Samuel and Henry Winter are like football equivalents of cricket pundits. They attempt to be cerebral and sometimes contradictory to the prevailing attitude, but still end up forming straw-clutching, deliberately point-missing glib arguments. For such a popular sport, football's level of punditry in comparison to all other sports I can think of is ridiculously bad, whether it's ex-pros or not. I sometimes wonder if all of them really just don't have a clue. Rugby punditry seems so much more technically perceptive as well as reasoned.

DrGreggles

Is Henry Winter still calling for Michael Owen to be in the England team?

chand

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 14, 2014, 11:21:08 AM
Martin Samuel and Henry Winter are like football equivalents of cricket pundits. They attempt to be cerebral and sometimes contradictory to the prevailing attitude, but still end up forming straw-clutching, deliberately point-missing glib arguments. For such a popular sport, football's level of punditry in comparison to all other sports I can think of is ridiculously bad, whether it's ex-pros or not. I sometimes wonder if all of them really just don't have a clue. Rugby punditry seems so much more technically perceptive as well as reasoned.

I reckon football simply doesn't lend itself well to cerebral criticism, and we talk about everything so much that everything has now become a cliché. Sports like cricket and golf are really technical, precision sports where stats analysis and critiquing the precise technique of a bowler or a swing is worthwhile. Football tactics are fairly straightforward, and outside of defending there never seems like that much to actually analyse. Even the wordiest football-theory journalists lapse into cliché regularly, and no matter how long you spend arguing about 4-2-3-1 vs 4-3-3 and false nines and number 10s football has a way of steamrollering all that tactics chat with baffling results.

Squink

I think there are little pockets of things that happen in football that lend themselves well to a full analysis that we don't often get. Southampton in the past two seasons are a good example of that. What's happening there? It would be interesting if someone thoroughly picked apart everything they've done, from transfers to tactics to boardroom management to whatever else. Of course no one's expecting Southampton to be where they are now at the end of the season, but I find myself less interested in season-long achievements of late, I think because the bigger clubs always have the money + squad depth needed to come out on top over an extended period of time. I'd be far more interested in reading about the Southampton fan experience over the last three months or so than I would of a Chelsea fan reflecting on gradually reeling in the premier league title over a nine-month stretch.

phes

They've played a bunch of the worst teams in the league at the very best possible time: most recently Leicester who changed formation and haven't found their striker in the opposition penalty area in about 3 games, before that Hull who have had similar problems since losing Jelavic to injury and since changing formation, before that Stoke and Sunderland at home, QPR and Newcastle who were absolutely on their knees, unable to take anything from anyone at that moment in time. If you're interested in this 3 month period rather than last season then imo with respect to what's happened on the pitch it's been aided by an aberration and The Scummers Southampton ruthlessly and deservedly profited.

I am so fucking envious though. Our (Pompey) complete negligence and their foresight to invest in youth some 10 or 15 years ago goes a long way to explaining our current fortunes.

chand

Yeah, Southampton are interesting because they looked absolutely, utterly boned by the end of the transfer window, having had their successful squad gutted. I didn't expect them to get relegated given some of the absolute pish in the division, but I thought they were nailed on for about 15th when I saw the players they'd sold.

True to say that they've had a surprisingly kind run of fixtures; they lost against the two traditional 'big' sides they've faced, and Swansea are the only half-decent side they've beaten. But still, given the upheaval they've still done well; United had a theoretically kind fixture list and we're 9 points behind them. If they can keep beating the bottom-half sides with that kind of consistently then they'll be just fine.

Utter Shit

Shout out Utter Shit, who went against the tide and said that Southampton would be fine and could quite feasibly improve on last season with the right investment. Didn't see them firing their way to the top of the league but still, excellent call by me.

Squink

It's definitely up there with your call about André Villas-Boas spending the Gareth Bale cash wisely and being in no danger of getting sacked.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: chand on November 14, 2014, 01:54:54 PM
I reckon football simply doesn't lend itself well to cerebral criticism

Yeah but if you look at TV football punditry it is instructive. RTE have decent enough coverage with John Giles and Eamonn Dumphy coming up with decent enough analysis, basically that midfielder is rubbish and here's why. They also argue and cajole each other and it gets pretty heated at times, and they always immediatel write off England because that is the common sense thing to do.

Contrast that with the lads over on BBC and ITV and it is shockingly bad. I mean absolutely amazingly banal and idiotic at times. Apart from Gary Neville and (ahem) Phil Neville (who I like, fuck you, I like him) and a couple of others you just have a lot of idiots like Robbie Savage and god knows who being wheeled out, Jamie Redknapp, Michael Owen or whatever monosyllabic player is injured that week. Most of them are complete half wits with barely two opinions to rub together. Alan Shearer has been backed to the hilt by the BBC it appears and he is drearily repetitive (often repeating the same point in the same sentence 3 times) with little charisma.

I completely take your point about only being able to say "the midfielder is a lazy bastard who can't complete a pass" a finite number of ways and football does not necessarily lend itself to deep analysis but they're hardly helping by giving Mark "at the mooment" Lawrenson and Andy Townsend steady work as Adrian Chiles looks on daydreaming about his swelling bank account and bulging wallet of cash.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Squink on November 14, 2014, 05:21:33 PM
It's definitely up there with your call about André Villas-Boas spending the Gareth Bale cash wisely and being in no danger of getting sacked.

Never happened you fucking liar.

Quote from: @RickieLambert007Jessica Ennis-Hill is a stupid cunt. Saying she will remove her name if Ched Evens is signed. I hope he rapes her.

Quote from: @CoreyOC21Hope Ched Evans gets you you little slut

Why are the police investigating these 'rape threats'? These are not rape threats.

Actually, has Chedwyn been discussed in this thread yet?

Unoriginal

I'd rather avoid people musing over whether what he did was 'actually rape' or any other shit. This whole situation has destroyed the woman's life. Would anyone willingly put themselves through that if they didn't think they had been raped? Women have a hard enough time being believed as it is without scumbag men doubting them even when someone has been fucking convicted. Until he accepts what he did, he deserves all the vilification that comes his way and can go find another job that doesn't involve being in the public eye and reminding rape survivors across the country that many people have no problem supporting and defending unapologetic rapists.

BlodwynPig

Shock results:

Greece 0-1 Faroe Islands
Germany only 4-0 Gibraltar

Cue Bbc headline - Germany cruise to victory over islanders

George Oscar Bluth II

Went to Colombia v USA at Fulham tonight. There must have been about 15,000 Colombia fans in, maybe moew, atmosphere was amazing, the game was great. Sexy, sexy football.

phes

Quote from: Unoriginal on November 14, 2014, 09:14:39 PM
I'd rather avoid people musing over whether what he did was 'actually rape' or any other shit. This whole situation has destroyed the woman's life. Would anyone willingly put themselves through that if they didn't think they had been raped?

The answer to that is yes. People have made demonstrably false allegations that have destroyed their lives.

Do I believe he is innocent? Probably not, the circumstantial evidence makes for quite grim reading. Would not have liked to have been on that jury one bit though.

Blinder Data

Scotland v Ireland was a lot of fun last night. The atmosphere was immense, helped by the fact Celtic Park is a much better venue for generating noise than Hampden. I couldn't help but get sad though, when the crowd sang in unison the "But we can still rise now/And be the nation again" bit of Flower of Scotland. Well, why didn't you vote Yes in the referendum then, ya posturing bastards?

Crucial 3 points and a wonderful goal by Maloney. Game wasn't great for the most part. Although hearing the news that a 22 year old died at the game last night does remind you what a meaningless load of old bollocks football is :(

monkfromhavana

Scotland's national team should be disbanded now they've opted to stay a part of Britain. Would serve them right for getting uppity.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 14, 2014, 09:42:40 PM
Shock results:

Greece 0-1 Faroe Islands
Germany only 4-0 Gibraltar

Cue Bbc headline - Germany cruise to victory over islanders

That's an amazing result for Faroe Islands. I know it doesn't involve the Home Nations, but surprised there hasn't been more made of it. 2004 European Champions defeated at home by a country with a smaller population than San Marino. It's extraordinary. 1 point for 4 games for Greece. Steve Staunton launches international managerial comeback.

BlodwynPig

Not many goals in the league today at half time

21 in 3 divisions (1,2 and conf) out of 30 games...
15 in 28 games if you discount the two 3-0 games in league 2