Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:20:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mike Read's The Heritage Chart (ft. Mike Read)

Started by daf, August 24, 2022, 12:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Quote from: Funcrusher on February 13, 2024, 10:00:53 AMScientology hitting the number one spot this week.

All hail the mighty Xenu!

Interview from the frontman -

Quote from: Ian Clarkson'As far as I know there aren't even that many aliens.'
https://metro.co.uk/2017/11/27/swing-band-frontman-lifts-lid-on-his-life-as-a-scientologist-7113029/

Basically they got him when he was in a vulnrable place after overdoing the old delicious drugs and shagging. Most of their Scientology work seem to be linked to anti drugs stuff (Boo! spoilsports!)

daf

In Association with Steve Wright's Heritage Cark . . . it's Show 103!

QuoteThis week's artists include Gary Numan,The Automatics, Paul Griggs, Daniel Takes a Train, Billy Joel, Classix Nouveaux, Martha & the Muffins, Rick Astley (No.1 from last year), John Carr, The Cathodes, Don Powell Band (feat Bev Bevan), Child & Carla Olson, Allan Clarke & Laurence Juber. Fascinating Fact:  On the 18th of February 1966, Nancy Sinatra was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'These Boots Are Made For Walking'. Will someone new be walking into the No.1 spot on this week's chart?

18 February 2023 | Presenter: Mike Read

(40) (NEW) | GARY NUMAN – "Radio Heart"
(34) ⬆ (39) | THE AUTOMATICS – "Wait, Don't Go Yet" (wot, no video?)
(33) ⬆ (40) | PAUL GRIGGS – "Time Machine"
(28) ⬆ (33) | DANIEL TAKES A TRAIN – "Retro-phobe"
(25) ⬆ (34) | BILLY JOEL – "Turn The Autotune Back Off"
(21) ⬆ (30) | CLASSIX NOUVEAUX – "Battle Cry"
(18) ⬆ (27) | MARTHA & THE MUFFINS – "For What It's Worth"
(- -)  (OLD) | RICK ASTLEY - "Dippin' My Feet"
(16) ⬆ (18) | JOHN CARR - "Sierra"
(12) ⬆ (17) | THE CATHODES - "Time"
( 7 ) ⬆ ( 9 ) | THE DON POWELL BAND ft. BEV BEVAN - "I Am The Beat"
( 2 ) ⬆ ( 5 ) | CHILD - "I Love How You Love Me"
( 1 ) ⬆ ( 3 ) | CARLA OLSON, ALLAN CLARKE & LAURENCE JUBER – "It Makes Me Cry"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Spoiler alert

Congratulations faithful Heritage Chart viewer - you have found the secret club! On the agenda tonight is the ludicrous use of autotune that wrecked Billy Joel's voice. To explain further, I'll hand over to Fil from Wings of Pegasus - Take it away Fil . . .

[close]
Spoiler alert

daf

In Association with Neil Finn's 'Normous Nightmare Noggin . . . it's Show 104!

QuoteThis week's artists include Billy Joel, Madness, Pet Shop Boys, Gary Numan, Crowded House, Shed Seven, Marty Wilde, The Whispers, Child, Mal Pope, The Cathodes, Tim Ambler & from the HC of 2022 Buzzcocks. Fascinating Fact:  On the 25th of February 1984:  Van Halen landed the new No.1 song with "Jump", knocking Culture Club's "Karma Chameleon" off the top spot. Will someone be jumping into the No.1 spot on this week's chart?

25 February 2023 | Presenter: Mike Read

(40) (NEW) | TIM AMBLER – "Step It Out Mary"
(39) (NEW) | CROWDED HOUSE – "Oh Hi"
(37) (NEW) | SHED SEVEN – "Let's Go Dancing"
(34) (NEW) | MARTY WILDE – "Two Eyes Streaming"
(32) (NEW) | MADNESS – "Round We Go"
(24) ⬆ (29) | PET SHOP BOYS – "Loneliness"
(- -)  (OLD) | THE BUZZCOCKS – "Manchester Rain"
(20) ⬆ (35) | GARY NUMAN – "Radio Heart"
(19) ⬆ (31) | THE WHISPERS – "Maybe The Fire Isn't Out"
(15) ⬆ (25) | BILLY JOEL – "Turn The Lights Back On"
( 8 ) ⬆ (15) | MAL POPE - "Letting You Down"
( 2 ) ⬆ ( 6 ) | MICKEY JUPP – "Stuck Behind a Mazerati"
( 1 ) ⬆ ( 2 ) | CHILD – "I Love How You Love Me"

Spoiler alert

[close]
Spoiler alert

daf

A chance to relive Show 46 all over again in the pod-company of Pete Paphides and Siân Pattenden and special guest Lawrence from off of the Denim and Felt! > > > https://shows.acast.com/the-heritage-chart-show-show/episodes/the-heritage-chart-show-show-episode-one

Show 46 links :
Spoiler alert
Song list :
Spoiler alert
Thanks to @Natnar for the tip off!

Quote from: daf on March 04, 2024, 11:02:26 PMA chance to relive Show 46 all over again in the pod-company of Pete Paphides and Siân Pattenden and special guest Lawrence from off of the Denim and Felt! > > > https://shows.acast.com/the-heritage-chart-show-show/episodes/the-heritage-chart-show-show-episode-one

About to go in on this while I make dinner *opens bottle of wine*

Siân Pattenden is married to Luke Haines iirc?

daf

In Association with Robin Campbell's Provisional Wing of the UB40 . . . it's Show 105!

QuoteThis week's artists include UB40, Mark Knopfler, Madness, Gary Numan,Classix Nouveaux, Marty Wilde, Mickey Jupp, Cindy Alter, John Coinman, The Starjets, Cryin' Shames &  Ariana DeBose Boy George & Nile Rodgers. Fascinating Fact: On the 3rd March 1973: Slade's 'Cum On Feel The Noize', entered the UK at No.1, making Slade the first act to achieve this since The Beatles. Who will be making the some noise at the No.1 spot on this week's chart?

3 March 2023 | Presenter: Mike Read

(40) (NEW) | JOHN COINMAN – "Find That Girl"
(38) (OLD) | CRYIN' SHAMES – "Please Stay"
(37) (NEW) | UB40 (ft. Gilly G) – "Gimme Some Kinda Sign"
(36) (NEW) | ARIANA DEBOSE, BOY GEORGE, NILE RODGERS - "Electric Energy"
(35) (NEW) | MARK KNOPFLER – "Ahead Of The Game"
(31) ⬆ (38) | THE STARJETS – "War Widow"
(24) ⬆ (34) | MARTY WILDE – "Two Eyes Streaming"
(20) ⬆ (32) | MADNESS – "Round We Go"
(13) ⬆ (20) | GARY NUMAN – "Radio Heart"
( 8 ) ⬆ (12) | CLASSIX NOUVEAUX – "Battle Cry" (turn the autotune off mate - you sound like a robot!)
( 4 ) ⬇ ( 2 ) | MICKEY JUPP – "Stuck Behind a Mazerati"
( 1 ) ⬆ ( 2 ) | CINDY ALTER - "Kiss Me"

Spoiler alert

[close]
Spoiler alert

daf

Ah balls! It's taken me 2 months to spot that I've been putting 2023 rather than 2024!

(The boring reason, and a peek behind the curtain, is that I base the new listing on the old one - so I don't have to retype everything from scratch - and hadn't remembered to change the year back in January!)

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

daf

In Association with Billy J Kramer's Ceramic Cake-hole Crunchers . . . it's Show 106!

QuoteThis week's artists include Billy J Kramer, Tony Christie, (13 Valleys) Sandi Thom & Simon Hough, Gary Numan Billy Joel, Mickey Jupp, John Coinman, Cryin' Shames, UB40, The Starjets, Mark Knopfler & Marty Wilde. Fascinating Fact: On the 10th March  1979 Gloria Gaynor started a four week run at No.1 with 'I Will Survive'. Who will be at No1 spot on this week's chart?

10 March 2024 | Presenter: Mike Read

(38) (NEW) | BILLY J KRAMER – "Are You With Me?"
(37) (NEW) | TONY CHRISTIE – "Just Like Yesterday"
(35) (NEW) | SANDI THOM & SIMON HOUGH – "Broken Heart (13 Valleys)"
(32) ⬆ (40) | JOHN COINMAN – "Find That Girl"
(29) ⬆ (38) | CRYIN' SHAMES – "Please Stay"
(27) ⬆ (37) | ROBIN CAMPBELL'S UB40 (ft. Gilly G) – "Gimme Some Kinda Sign"
(24) ⬆ (31) | THE STARJETS – "War Widow"
(23) ⬆ (35) | MARK KNOPFLER – "Ahead Of The Game"
(17) ⬆ (24) | MARTY WILDE – "Two Eyes Streaming"
( 7 ) ⬆ (13) | GARY NUMAN – "Radio Heart"
( 2 ) ⬆ (10) | BILLY JOEL – "Turn The Lights Back On"
( 1 ) ⬆ ( 4 ) | MICKEY JUPP – "Stuck Behind a Mazerati"

Spoiler alert

[close]
Spoiler alert

daf

In Association with Feeblish Four-Letter Country Factoid . . . it's Show 107!

17 March 2024 | Presenter: Mike Read

QuoteThis week's artists include Billy Joel, Madness, Plastic Scotsman Rod Stewart & Jools Holland, Gary Numan, Crowded House, Mark Knopfler, Marty Wilde, The Korgis & Joe Matera, Sandi Thom & Simon Hough, Dion, Liam Gallagher & John Squire's Meat and Potato Band, Mark Knopfler's Guitar Heroes, and from the HC Chart of 2020 Starship. Fascinating Fact: On the 17th March The Walker Brothers had their second UK No.1 with the single 'The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore', will someone have their 1st, 2nd or 3rd No. 1 on this week chart?

(40) (NEW) | ROD STEWART & JOOLZ HOLLAND – "Almost Like being In Love"
(39) (NEW) | MARK KNOPFLER'S GUITAR HEROES – "Local Hero"
(38) (NEW) | DION & SHEMEKIA COPELAND – "Mama Said"
(37) (NEW) | LIAM GALLAGHER & JOHN SQUIRE'S MEAT & POTATO BAND – "Raise You're Hands"
(- -)  (OLD) | JEFFERSON STARSHIP – "It's About Time"
(33) (NEW) | THE KORGIS – "Letter To Geelong"
(27) ⬆ (35) | SANDI THOM & SIMON HOUGH – "Broken Heart (13 Valleys)"
(16) ⬆ (23) | MARK KNOPFLER – "Ahead Of The Game"
(15) ⬆ (20) | CROWDED HOUSE – "Oh Hi"
( 9 ) ⬆ (17) | MARTY WILDE – "Two Eyes Streaming"
( 7 ) ⬆ (14) | MADNESS – "Round We Go"
( 4 ) ⬆ ( 7 ) | GARY NUMAN – "Radio Heart"
( 1 ) ⬆ ( 2 ) | BILLY JOEL – "Turn The Lights Back On"

Spoiler alert
[/img]
[close]
Spoiler alert

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on March 19, 2024, 09:24:04 PM( 4 ) ⬆ ( 7 ) | GARY NUMAN – "Radio Heart"

Clicked on this out of vague interest, was surprised that he looked so young in the video - CGI de-aged? Oh, Wiki says this was released in 1987. Isn't that cheating? The Heritage Chart is for new stuff, yeah, not re-releases..?

daf

Yes, this is baffling - and not the only old track Read has decided is mysteriously "eligible" for voting (BENT!) - Donovan's "Wear Your Love Like Heaven" is the version from 1967, and The Cryin' Shames one is from 1966 (which is why I labeled both as 'OLD' on their first appearance) - god knows why they got in there!

daf

In Association with Well Weird Weetabix Waffle . . . it's Show 108!

QuoteThis week's artists include Mark Knopfler, Billy Joel, The Korgis, Marty Wilde, UB40, John Coinman, Dion & Shemekia Copeland, Billy J Kramer, Tony Christie, Rod Stewart & Jools Holland, Cryin' Shames, John Carr & Danielle Nicholls. Fascinating Fact: On the 23 Mar 2005 '(Is This The Way To) Amarillo' by Tony Christie featuring Peter Kay was the No.1 in the UK.  But who will be on their way to the No1 spot in this weeks chart...

24 March 2024 | Presenter: Mike Read

(39) (NEW) | DANIELLE NICHOLLS – "Fall Again" (like this one!)
(37) (NEW) | JOHN CARR – "Eye in the Sky"
(32) ⬆ (40) | ROD STEWART & JOOLZ HOLLAND – "Almost Like being In Love"
(30) ⬆ (38) | DION & SHEMEKIA COPELAND – "Mama Said"
(26) ⬆ (30) | BILLY J KRAMER – "Are You With Me?"
(25) ⬆ (33) | THE KORGIS – "Letter To Geelong"
(20) ⬆ (26) | JOHN COINMAN – "Find That Girl"
(16) ⬆ (20) | CRYIN' SHAMES – "Please Stay"
(13) ⬆ (19) | UB40 (ft. Gilly G) – "Gimme Some Kinda Sign"
(11) ⬆ (16) | MARK KNOPFLER – "Ahead Of The Game"
( 5 ) ⬆ ( 9 ) | MARTY WILDE – "Two Eyes Streaming"
( 1 ) ⬆ ( 2 ) | BILLY JOEL – "Turn The Lights Back On"

Spoiler alert

[close]
Spoiler alert

Norton Canes

So, hang on... how come you can only vote for songs already in the chart? How do the new songs get in?

daf

They have to be chosen by the "sinister mandarins" at Heritage Chart Radio :
Mike Read, Peter Antony, Kenny Tosh, Daniel James, Sean Usher, Richard Latto, Freddy Cannon and, implausably, Status Quo's John Coghlan!

You're basically just re-ordering their chosen current playlist. So as mentioned in my very first post in this thread, and I cannot emphasise this strongly enough . . .

THIS CHART IS BENT!

PaulTMA

Only just discovered this in the last couple of weeks.  This is simply the greatest thing to happen in current times. I clicked on this thread a while back but didn't understand what was going on.  I only wish it would go out on a Friday or Saturday as it appears to be the ultimate in 'watch it a bit pissed' TV which doesn't really seem to exist anymore

'Radio Heart' absolutely slaps BTW so convention bedamned, I'm glad it's been brought to my regular attention

PaulTMA

Does anyone know how to get into this chart.  Going to release an album this year and while I am not famous it would be a dream to be a part of it in some way

daf

The surefire way is to have been in a mid-table punk/new wave band. Obviously you weren't, but you could just pretend - eg. "I was in the The Pink Buttons . . . or The Sax Poodles" (remember to mention you never managed to get anything released - or the whole jig is up!).

One of the Heritage Radio DJ's might bite at that (you also need a video - ANYTHING will do - pop-up lyrics, you against green-screen, some clouds - as this will MASSIVELY increase your chances of getting your song on air). I've noticed that most of the videos featured are created by 'Creative and Dreams Music Network' - so you could get in touch with them, and the path might be clear!
https://www.youtube.com/@CreativeAndDreams/videos

Alternatively, maybe try and get your stuff to Mal Pope - Mal's not one of the Heritage Chart Radio DJ's, but his songs are regularly featured, and he seems quite approachable and is a mate of Read's so might be able to give you a nudge in there.

(Mal's music career goes way back - John Peel booked him for a session when he was 13 in the 70's - Elton John also was interested in signing him to his record label)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_Pope

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: PaulTMA on March 31, 2024, 05:39:46 PMDoes anyone know how to get into this chart.  Going to release an album this year and while I am not famous it would be a dream to be a part of it in some way

Say you were in Blazin' Squad. They'll never rumble you.

PaulTMA

Quote from: daf on March 31, 2024, 07:33:09 PMThe surefire way is to have been in a mid-table punk/new wave band. Obviously you weren't, but you could just pretend - eg. "I was in the The Pink Buttons . . . or The Sax Poodles" (remember to mention you never managed to get anything released - or the whole jig is up!).

One of the Heritage Radio DJ's might bite at that (you also need a video - ANYTHING will do - pop-up lyrics, you against green-screen, some clouds - as this will MASSIVELY increase your chances of getting your song on air). I've noticed that most of the videos featured are created by 'Creative and Dreams Music Network' - so you could get in touch with them, and the path might be clear!

Alternatively, maybe try and get your stuff to Mal Pope - Mal's not one of the Heritage Chart Radio DJ's, but his songs are regularly featured, and he seems quite approachable and is a mate of Read's so might be able to give you a nudge in there.

(Mal's music career goes way back - John Peel booked him for a session when he was 13 in the 70's - Elton John also was interested in signing him to his record label)

Quote from: daf on March 31, 2024, 07:33:09 PMThe surefire way is to have been in a mid-table punk/new wave band. Obviously you weren't, but you could just pretend - eg. "I was in the The Pink Buttons . . . or The Sax Poodles" (remember to mention you never managed to get anything released - or the whole jig is up!).

Thanks for this info!  I might be in with a bit of a shout.

daf

daf

In Association with an Epic Crapton of Guitar Solos . . . it's Show 109!

QuoteThis week's artists include Bon Jovi, Gary Numan, Mark Knopfler, The Korgis & Joe Matera, The Members, Dion & Shemekia Copeland, Cryin' Shames, Pete Stride &  Honest John Plain, John Carr. Danielle Nicholls & Mark Knopfler's Guitar heroes. Fascinating Fact: On the 31 March 1967, Jimi Hendrix set his Fender Stratocaster guitar ablaze on stage for the first time at London's Astoria theatre...but who will be setting fire to the chart this week?

31 March 2024 | Presenter: Mike Read

(35) (NEW) | THE MEMBERS – "The Boy From Nowhere"
(34) ⬆ (39) | DANIELLE NICHOLLS – "Fall Again"
(33) ⬆ (40) | PETE STRIDE & HONEST JOHN PLAIN – "New Guitar in Town"
(31) (NEW) | BON JOVI – "Legendary"
(28) ⬆ (37) | JOHN CARR – "Eye in the Sky"
(20) ⬆ (30) | DION & SHEMEKIA COPELAND – "Mama Said"
(18) ⬆ (28) | MARK KNOPFLER'S GUITAR HEROES – "Going Home (Theme From Local Hero)"
(17) ⬆ (25) | THE KORGIS – "Letter To Geelong"
(10) ⬆ (16) | CRYIN' SHAMES – "Please Stay"
( 8 ) ⬆ (11) | MARK KNOPFLER – "Ahead Of The Game"
( 1 ) ⬆ ( 3 ) | GARY NUMAN – "Radio Heart"

Spoiler alert

[close]
Spoiler alert

daf

In Association with "Top Voting from Poland" (whatever THAT means - six? seven votes?) . . . it's Show 110!

QuoteThis week's artists include On this week's TV Show our Heritage artists include Bon Jovi, Mark Knopfler, Gary Numan, Marty Wilde, Crowded House, The Members, John Coinman, Zucchero & Jack Savoretti , Carla Olson, Pete Stride & Honest John Plain, Mr Big & Hillbilly Vegas. Fascinating Fact: Today in 1973, Gilbert O'Sullivan was at No. 1 in the charts with "Get Down".... but who will be going up or down in this weeks chart?

7 April 2024 | Presenter: Mike Read

(40) (NEW) | HILLBILLY VEGAS – "Shake It Like A Hillbilly"
(37) (NEW) | ZUCCHERO & JACK SAVORETTI – "Senza Una Donna"
(33) (NEW) | CARLA OLSON – "I Can See For Miles"
(32) ⬆ (36) | MR BIG – "Baby Don't You Leave Me"
(25) ⬆ (33) | PETE STRIDE & HONEST JOHN PLAIN – "New Guitar in Town"
(24) ⬆ (35) | THE MEMBERS – "The Boy From Nowhere"
(22) ⬆ (31) | BON JOVI – "Legendary"
(14) ⬆ (16) | JOHN COINMAN – "Find That Girl"
( 9 ) ⬆ (11) | CROWDED HOUSE – "Oh Hi"
( 3 ) ⬆ ( 8 ) | MARK KNOPFLER – "Ahead Of The Game"
( 2 ) ⬆ ( 3 ) | MARTY WILDE – "Two Eyes Streaming"
( 1 ) ⬆ ( 3 ) | GARY NUMAN – "Radio Heart"

Spoiler alert

[close]
Spoiler alert

PaulTMA

Are they actually getting sponsored by Weetabix now?

daf

No mention of Weetabix this week, but if Read wasn't getting several boxes delivered free and gratis to his country pile after his shamless plugging a couple of weeks ago . . . I'm a Dutchman! 

Spoiler alert
. . . I'm not a Dutchman
[close]

daf

Seriously though, how many votes can they have got from Poland - I'm saying fewer than 20!

PaulTMA

I'm confused... is there some lag going on with the chart?  I watched what went out on Monday which had Billy Joel at number 1 and more Weetabix 'fun'... have i series recorded the repeat?

daf

No, you're fine - there is a lag on the TV broadcasts - they're about 3 weeks behind (going by your description).

I have no idea why it's like this - and also why it's on so ridiculously late. You'd think Mike would have some pull with the scheduling - since he does a show with Noel (the channel's owner). In the words of early Heritage Chart regular Toyah : "it's a mystery!"

See the bottom spoiler for the link to the latest show - which will take you to the Heritage Chart website. This is what I use to compile my chart rundowns.

daf

In Association with Joe & Cliff's Congratulation Clips . . . it's Show 111!

QuoteOn this week's TV Show our Heritage artists include Bon Jovi, Marty Wilde, Take That, Billy Idol, The Members, The Korgis & Joe Matera, Mark Knopfler's Guitar heroes, The Black Crowes, Davy Jones, Sandi Thom & Simon Hough, John Carr & Hillbilly Vegas. Fascinating Fact: Today in 1978,  Art Garfunkel started a six week run at No.1 in the UK with the theme from the film 'Watership Down', 'Bright Eyes'...but who will be hopping to No1 in this weeks chart?

14 April 2024 | Presenter: Mike Read

(39) (NEW) | DAVY JONES – "Hanging By a Thread"
(37) (NEW) | BLACK CROWES – "Wanting and Waiting"
(36) (NEW) | FAIRGROUND ATTRACTION  – "What's Wrong With The World"
(33) (NEW) | BILLY IDOL  – "Love Don't Live here Anymore"
(31) ⬆ (40) | HILLBILLY VEGAS – "Shake It Like A Hillbilly"
(17) ⬆ (24) | THE MEMBERS – "The Boy From Nowhere"
(16) ⬆ (21) | JOHN CARR – "Eye in the Sky"
(14) ⬆ (22) | BON JOVI – "Legendary"
( 8 ) ⬆ (12) | SANDI THOM & SIMON HOUGH – "Broken Heart (13 Valleys)"
( 7 ) ⬆ (11) | THE KORGIS – "Letter To Geelong"
( 6 ) ⬆ (10) | MARK KNOPFLER'S GUITAR HEROES – "Going Home (Theme From Local Hero)"
( 1 ) ⬆ ( 2 ) | MARTY WILDE – "Two Eyes Streaming"

Spoiler alert

[close]
Spoiler alert

PaulTMA

The downside of the show is that it it's really brought down my estimation of The Korgis, which had previously only been based on Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime

daf

They've had a few songs on the show I've liked.

With a lot if these reactivated bands, I'm not sure how many original members are left (though I definitely recognise the main bloke with the long thin face - 'Ken Korgi' I call him).

Some I feel (like Billy J Kramer) are a sort of Trojan Horse by aspiring songwriters who wouldn't get on themselves.

(I was going to suggest you could hook up with Freddie Garrity for a song about Manchester in the 60s - that'd 100% get on the show ...
... unfortunately it seems he died back in 2006 - so that foolproof scheme is sadly banjaxed!)