Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:08:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Police Academy films

Started by Fambo Number Mive, July 20, 2021, 12:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: badaids on July 20, 2021, 09:30:02 PM
Can't believe that the Robocop (Robotic Police Officer Film) Academy never got made.

Robot Collection Of Pissants?

EDIT: New page trouble

evilcommiedictator

Trouble down THE OLD ZOO, THE OLD ZOO, THE OLD ZOO?

1, 5 top tier
2, 4 middle tier
3, 6 only if you want to tier
7, the only decent joke is a dog pissing into Harris' eye through a open ended periscope. Also the world is being taken over by an addictive video game.

These are sketch comedy movies, and if you don't mind Mahoney terrified dancing with a bunch of leather daddies funny, then fine. "Dancing sir. A lot of Dancing."
5 is a really goo sketch comedy film, none of the scenes loses a joke, and each scene is there for a joke, from an old man losing golf balls down a staircase for a bad guy pratfall, to a sunscreen/sunburn joke.

You'll also remember, for a film that came out in 1984, it's also a bit progressive, with Hightower expressing anger and asserting himself after a racial slur against a black woman, then him as a tall, strong black man being seen next as a florist, and saving the day.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: petrilTanaka on July 20, 2021, 09:25:14 PM
it was the eighties so they had the obligatory cartoon version
I saw the cartoon before ever seeing any of the movies.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 20, 2021, 02:24:18 PM
Not sad and depressing, painful and disturbing.

D'oh. Shame on me.

There was another similar dig from the Simpsons which I'll just post a link to so as to avoid any chance of further misquoting:

https://youtu.be/1HuIILdA8Lg

St_Eddie

It's funny because they're gay and the gay mens are obsessed with sex in a way that straight people aren't.  Straight people are multifaceted individuals with lives beyond sexual interests.  Their lives do not revolve around sexual matters.  However, them gays are all about the sex.  They can't get enough of it.  Stupid gay men. Always wanting to be bumming and things. Lolz

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 21, 2021, 05:21:53 AM
It's funny because they're gay and the gay mens are obsessed with sex in a way that straight people aren't.  Straight people are multifaceted individuals with lives beyond sexual interests.  Their lives do not revolve around sexual matters.  However, them gays are all about the sex.  They can't get enough of it.  Stupid gay men. Always wanting to be bumming and things. Lolz

The dependable St Eddie being the voice of reason, as ever. The fucking Police Academy films being given serious and appreciative critical evaluation on  this forum. I never thought I'd see the day.

kalowski

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on July 21, 2021, 12:05:04 AM
D'oh. Shame on me.

There was another similar dig from the Simpsons which I'll just post a link to so as to avoid any chance of further misquoting:

https://youtu.be/1HuIILdA8Lg
My daughter is in the next room watching late period Simpsons (somewhere around series 27 I think). It just doesn't compare. This is written and performed so well it's wonderful.

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on July 20, 2021, 11:57:44 PM
I saw the cartoon before ever seeing any of the movies.

Me too, and my parents weren't keen on letting me watch them when I asked. They kept mentioning the podium scene between them as justification for not letting me watch the first one. Those 2 blow job jokes prevented me from watching the first one for ages.

I saw part 3 first and really liked it. To this day I've still got a nostalgic soft spot for it. After that I saw parts 2, 4, 5 and the rest. I enjoyed most of them when I was a pre teen, but the novelty wore off soon afterwards.

About 5 yrs ago there was a DVD shop which was going out of business and selling everything off dirt cheap. One particular Saturday morning they were showing pt 2 while I was channel hopping. I ended up watching it and enjoying it. I hadn't seen or thought about the series for years. I ended up buying the DVDs of the first 4 films for about £2 that day.

I seem to have dismissed anything post 4 due to the lack of Steve Guttenberg.

The Ombudsman

I re-watched these at the beginning of the year, after my mums funeral. Thought it might be some good comic relief.

I did find the homophobia unsettling and didn't find them as funny as I remembered, I guess the difference of being middle aged.

That said, I found the ending of Ace Ventura more unsettling, when they strip clothing of the woman who was once the male 'baddie'. The bit with the lump in the back of her knickers I thought was horrendous, but I likely laughed as a kid.

But in a way I was glad to have re-watched as it highlighted how far attitudes have changed in a relatively short pace of time. I appreciate not everyone, but I doubt those things would be made the same way today due to current taste and decency standards.

mippy

These and Meet The Fockers are the only non-Western films I remember my dad actually enjoying.

Gurke and Hare

There's some great character naming going on in them. Moses Hightower, Larvell Jones, Eugene Tackleberry, Thaddeus Harris, all very strong names.

sevendaughters

there is a mildly subversive quality to the Blue Oyster scene in PA2 that their object of worship for the patrons is, and I think this is pretty relevant for the US, a black man, their reverence for Hightower has Jesus overtones. the return to the bar in PA3 is just trash though.

famethrowa

Isn't there a director's cut where they show Lassard copiously ejaculating on the hooker's face, and then inside the podium Mahoney says to her "Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth."?

Captain Harris falls through the gay bar.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 21, 2021, 11:36:29 AM
Captain Harris falls through the gay bar.

And Jones makes a sound.

El Unicornio, mang

Was sad to read this about the actor who played Mauser (although it also sounds like something that might happen to his character in the films)

QuoteIn September 1989, Metrano broke his neck and seriously injured his spinal cord after falling off a ladder while working on his house. While he was initially a quadriplegic,[7][8] he has since regained the use of his arms and legs, and is able to walk short distances with the help of crutches, although he regularly uses a motorized wheelchair.

KennyMonster

Don't watch "Diamonds Are Forever"

sevendaughters

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 21, 2021, 01:23:57 PM
Was sad to read this about the actor who played Mauser (although it also sounds like something that might happen to his character in the films)

He got a comedy show out of that called Jews Don't Belong On Ladders or something very near to that. I love Metrano, some of his TV clips are amazing.

dothestrand

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 20, 2021, 07:03:31 PM
I remember watching the Police Academy TV series when I was a teenager and finding it somewhat erotic, although it was probably just a few women in bathing costumes and the odd pair of buttocks in the show.

One of the early films, maybe the first even, had the statuesque tough blonde woman jump a guy in his room, that I remember.

dothestrand

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 20, 2021, 07:10:55 PM
Harris is fantastic. His monologue while he's drawing on the blackboard is superb.

Plays the same guy in Mannequin really. Just that he's a store detective working for an oily James Spader on the sly.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 21, 2021, 07:00:00 AM
The dependable St Eddie being the voice of reason, as ever. The fucking Police Academy films being given serious and appreciative critical evaluation on  this forum. I never thought I'd see the day.

Hehe

Some of these gays have rich inner lives you know

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 21, 2021, 08:43:13 PM
Hehe

Some of these gays have rich inner lives you know

Yes, It's not all bumming and liking Lorraine Kelly

Are you suggesting that the fucking Blue Oyster Bar scenes in the Police Academy films ( The fucking Police Academy films, for fuck's sake) are used for anything other than cheap " Homos, ho-ho"  laffs? The Boy Eddie makes a perfectly valid point.

PlanktonSideburns

No just having a giggle with eddie

MoreauVasz

I watched a few of these a while ago and was absolutely fascinated by the Blue Oyster Bar.

First Take: It's just a crude stereotype of the gay community wherein the joke is just gay panic.

Second Take: So... It's a gay BDSM club but all they ever do is dance the tango? That's really rather surreal and chastely sweet.

Third Take: Wait... Is 'dancing the tango' a visual metaphor for gay rape? In a film with no other visual metaphors?

I actually think it works on all three levels and I can't think of any other cinematic conceit that comes anywhere close to it. It's both utterly profane and beautifully innocent. It's as though someone were to remake Gaspar Noe's Irreversible except the opening sex club was nothing but blokes in a basement playing Settlers of Catan.

MoreauVasz

But they're not having sex. They're dancing.

If anyone in this thread is reducing gay men to their sexual activity it's you. You are literally looking at a scene of gay men dancing and declaring that they're having sex with each other. You're a fucking pervert mate. You've got a screw loose. You want to get help mate. Get some therapy.

PlanktonSideburns

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: MoreauVasz on July 22, 2021, 07:58:09 AM
But they're not having sex. They're dancing.

If anyone in this thread is reducing gay men to their sexual activity it's you. You are literally looking at a scene of gay men dancing and declaring that they're having sex with each other. You're a fucking pervert mate. You've got a screw loose. You want to get help mate. Get some therapy.

I suspect that you're just joking around with this post, but in your own previous post you done said that the dancing is possibly a visual metaphor for gay rape of heterosexual fellers. I'd go along with this, as , even though the writers  knew they could get away with ladies showing their knockers and blow job gags, it would be unlikely that full on showing of hapless heteros getting a right good seeing to by butch gentlemen who like other men would be allowed within the remit of a " Restricted" rating. Hence the coy visual metaphor, still making the less than sophisticated depiction of the homosexual lifestyle possible. The Boy Eddie remains vindicated in the assertions he made in his post.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I also remain vindicated in my own assertion that all of the Police Academy films are a load of unfunny cobblers. I remain aghast at the praise being given to the series in this thread. It's like reading an appreciation of the humorous motifs of " Sex Lives Of The Potato Men" in " Sight and Sound" Magazine. Full of palpable disgust, so I am. Palped right up.

MoreauVasz

I was indeed joking. Apologies Steddy.

I suspect that the intent was indeed lol bummers. I also think that there is something beautifully poetically weird about an ostensibly realistic universe in which gay men dress up in leather purely in order to dance. I think there's a lot to unpack from that gag once you push past the homophobia...

Aside from the surrealism worthy of Fellini, there's also quite an astute observation about how alienated we are from other people's desires and how, if you're not turned on by a particular fetish, its non-sexiness is not just an absence but a weird negative presence in its own right? Like that anecdote told by Hunter S Thompson about spilling liquid acid on his clothes only for a hippy to start suckling at his clothing at which point a normie walks in and discovers a world in which fully clothed men gum at each other's clothing.

If the lads at the Blue Oyster were having sex, they'd just be different. The fact that they dance vaguely old fashioned dances whilst dressed in bondage gear makes them profoundly and terrifyingly other. That's homophobic too but it's a more thoughtful, interesting, and revealing hmform of homophobia than eww bummers.

Sonny_Jim

It's fun having the Blue Oyster bar theme as a ringtone, if only to see people twitch in recognition of it when it goes off.

I did a rewatch of all of them last year (Netflix had all of them bar 7 IIRC) and I enjoyed the first 2, then they get progressively worse and somehow never quite hit 'so bad it's good', just 'bad' territory.

'Oh no, not on Brocolli!' always makes me laugh though.