Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:37:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mad Max: Fury Road

Started by El Unicornio, mang, July 27, 2014, 10:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

*bump*

George Miller will never make another 'Mad Max' movie.

Sad, sad news, but as he reiterates again there, Fury Road was apparently one hell of a tough shoot.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Glebe on January 13, 2016, 02:31:14 AM
*bump*

Sad, sad news, but as he reiterates again there, Fury Road was apparently one hell of a tough shoot.

Oh, I could've sworn the next one was already in pre-production.  Perhaps it'll just be a different on-set director with Miller overseeing from afar.  With the amount of success Fury Road had, I'd be amazed if the studios let it go just like that.

Shaky

Quite gutting - he's been the one constant for 35 years and he seemed reinvigorated about the franchise - but I guess it's not entirely surprising. He's 70, Fury Road was in production hell for 15 years and it's sounding like a follow-up will still be several years away. Understandable if he wants to go out on a high.

Some fans have suggested that Mel Gibson would be a good replacement and, you know what, I can actually see that. Utter twat he may be, but he understands Max's world and if he brought an Apocalypto-vibe (rather than, say, Braveheart), it could work.

As far as I know, Miller still owns the rights to Mad Max anyway so future films are up to him.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Shaky on January 13, 2016, 03:05:35 AM
Some fans have suggested that Mel Gibson would be a good replacement and, you know what, I can actually see that. Utter twat he may be, but he understands Max's world and if he brought an Apocalypto-vibe (rather than, say, Braveheart), it could work.

Aye, Gibson is an excellent director (or, at the very least, knows how to orchestrate excellent cinematographers).  I'd be perfectly happy with that eventuality.  It'd work, I think.

Shaky

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 13, 2016, 07:35:56 AM
Aye, Gibson is an excellent director (or, at the very least, knows how to orchestrate excellent cinematographers).  I'd be perfectly happy with that eventuality.  It'd work, I think.

God, the more I think about it, the more I'd love this to happen. Get the original Max involved again rather than some rent-a-hack. Miller has such a unique eye when it comes to pure, kinetic filmmaking; yer Snyders, Bays, Lins, Trevedwardses et al would struggle to make it coherent. Gibbo was reared on this shit, though.

Can you imagine the fireworks when he and Hardy inevitably get into a bollocking session on set?

Glorious. A GLORIOUS route. MAD MAX: GLORIOUS ROUTE

Glebe

Quote from: Shaky on January 13, 2016, 03:05:35 AMSome fans have suggested that Mel Gibson would be a good replacement and, you know what, I can actually see that. Utter twat he may be, but he understands Max's world and if he brought an Apocalypto-vibe (rather than, say, Braveheart), it could work.

Yep, for all his bigotry and historical inaccuracies, there's no denying he's a talented guy, both in front of and behind the camera - good call on Apocalypto, it was visually stunning and wonderfully over-the-top, just like... oh, what's that film we were talking about again?!

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Glebe on January 13, 2016, 05:12:47 PMthere's no denying he's a talented guy, both in front of and behind the camera

Haha, sounds like you're reading his retrospective on the news.

Glebe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 13, 2016, 05:17:59 PMHaha, sounds like you're reading his retrospective on the news.

Of course not! Now back to Kay.

hewantstolurkatad

Fury Road really seemed like it had a strong apocalypto influence to be, but mel Gibson ain't gonna ever be let near that kind of money again.

I don't mind if there's no more though. cannot imagine a new mad max coming close to fury road, at the very best it would be more of the same, which would only water down the uniqueness of fury road.

Glebe

YAY!

Quote"That was a completely garbled interview. I was in New York and it was so noisy and the journalist was asking me questions on a red carpet at the National Board of Review," he said. "She completely got the wrong fragments of information that were just not true. I said no, [another 'Mad Max' movie] will not be next, and she took that to mean I never wanted to make another 'Mad Max.' It won't necessarily be next, but I have two more stories."

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 13, 2016, 02:35:35 AM
With the amount of success Fury Road had, I'd be amazed if the studios let it go just like that.
For all the good press it seemed to garner, I was under the impression that it hadn't actually been massively successful at the box office. Not disatrous, but not setting the world alight either.

I'll probably go to see a sequel, but (I'm sure you'll all be shocked to hear) I wouldn't have been all that crestfallen if that report had been accurate.

Shaky

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 14, 2016, 09:38:00 PM
For all the good press it seemed to garner, I was under the impression that it hadn't actually been massively successful at the box office. Not disatrous, but not setting the world alight either.

It was a slow burner compared to many other big movies - and obviously way off Star Wars and Jurrasic World numbers - but DVD/Blu-ray sales have been very good and I believe it's made twice to three times it's budget back now.

And besides all the critical kudos and the Oscar nods, Miller also has a very strong, longstanding relationship with Warner Bros.

hewantstolurkatad

Along with doing pretty okay box office, it's got a level of cult status that means they'll likely be able to make a ton of money consistently in a way that bigger immediate hits may not.

Glebe

Yep, it may not have been a mega-hit (it's was a bit too weird for that kind of success, anyway), but it seems to done good business and has gotten the kind of rave-up reviews not normally granted 'B movies' in the mainstream press. I'm not necessarily expecting lightening to strike twice, but a sequel would certainly perk my interest.

monolith

Quote from: Glebe on January 13, 2016, 02:31:14 AM
*bump*

This ruined my morning, then later read the rest of the thread and was relieved.

Having said that, if it takes another 15 years to make then he may well cark it/not have what it takes to make anything of the same calibre as Fury Road.

greenman

Gibson would be an interesting choice I'd agree, ignoring the politics Apocalypto was probably as close as you'll get to Fury Road in terms of an effective chase film.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: greenman on January 18, 2016, 07:52:42 PM
Gibson would be an interesting choice I'd agree, ignoring the politics Apocalypto was probably as close as you'll get to Fury Road in terms of an effective chase film.

Apocalypto was brilliant, but it was nothing like Fury Road. I don't think there's anything like Fury Road beyond bits of Babe: Pig in the City. But yes, if Miller sacks it in, Gibson is obviously the man to go to. Apocalypto was full of bizarre langeurs and surreal asides, whereas Fury Road was properly fucking surreal from the get go. No one has made a film like that on that scale since I don't know when the fuck.

But yes, I'd be up for Gibson presents Madder Max.

greenman

Intense chase films with an aside of insane religion just on opposite ends of the political spectrum.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: greenman on January 19, 2016, 01:16:56 AM
Intense chase films with an aside of insane religion just on opposite ends of the political spectrum.

They're not, though. Stylistically they are worlds apart.

greenman

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on January 19, 2016, 01:18:10 AM
They're not, though. Stylistically they are worlds apart.

They where quite distant in terms of setting as setting as well, visually I'd agree Fury Road has a lot more flare to it but Apocalypto wasn't without that during the sacrifice scene.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: greenman on January 19, 2016, 01:24:28 AM
They where quite distant in terms of setting as setting as well, visually I'd agree Fury Road has a lot more flare to it but Apocalypto wasn't without that during the sacrifice scene.

Oh yeah, absolutely. Sorry, I was a bit muddled when I was postin that other stuff last night, but you're right, Apocalypto and Fury Road have a lot in common, and as chase pictures (or any sort of pictures, really) go, they are as close to perfect as it gets. I suppose what I meant is that Fury Road is tonally very different, it has this really bizarre hyperreal thing going on, feels like you're sat somewhere between Ichi The Killer and Modern Times half the bastard film, and there's nothing in Apocalypto that really feels anything like it. Apocalypto is bizarre as fuck as well, but in a different way. I think that's what I meant.

Anyway, the point is Mel Gibson should take the reigns if and when Miller throws them to fuck.

greenman

The film could even have a hook nosed old jewish badguy from "banker town".

Miller certainly is a visionary. I mean, a baddie with a skull-like breathing mask over his face? How on earth does he think up such things?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 19, 2016, 05:36:29 PM
Miller certainly is a visionary. I mean, a baddie with a skull-like breathing mask over his face? How on earth does he think up such things?

Oh come now, you are being a wanker and you need to stop it.

There, I've negged you.  How do you like that?  Not nice, is it?

Now now. If I was being wanky, I'd point out that the idea of people polevaulting in the desert was blatantly ripped off from Tremors.

monolith

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 19, 2016, 05:36:29 PM
He might have got the idea from Star Wars, there's a bad guy in that called Darth Vader who has a similar skull like mask and he is also a baddie.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 19, 2016, 05:50:55 PM
Now now. If I was being wanky, I'd point out that the idea of people polevaulting in the desert was blatantly ripped off from Tremors.

Pole vaulting was actually depicted in the Olympics a long time before Tremors was made. The fact that the pole vault scene in Fury Road was in a desert was a consequence of the film being set mostly in a desert.

Unless the premise of the film was built upon ripping off that Tremors scene, whilst using moving vehicles, and the desert setting was put in to accommodate this.

Paaaaul

There isn't any pole-vaulting in Fury Road.

monolith

greenman

I wouldn't really say Joe is a Vader ripoff, surely the point is that he's actually a bit of a physical wreck who depends on a cult of personality and needs the mask and plastic girdle to play his god king role.