Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:35:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mad Max: Fury Road

Started by El Unicornio, mang, July 27, 2014, 10:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paaaaul

monolith

Quote from: greenman on January 19, 2016, 07:23:17 PM
I wouldn't really say Joe is a Vader ripoff, surely the point is that he's actually a bit of a physical wreck who depends on a cult of personality and needs the mask and plastic girdle to play his god king role.
I think the point was that his look isn't completely original and perhaps borrows from an array of different characters.

Minor quibbling of course, and there isn't another film that looks like Fury Road, whether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing is personal taste (I fucking loved it and can't wait for the sequel, hopefully it's not 15 years and happens before Miller carks it).

Shaky

Disfigured and over the top villains are a very old trope anyway, and it's one Miller's been using in his films since 1979 (albeit on a much lower budget back then).

Of course there's some sense of tradition and familiarity about the heroes and villians in SW and MM. A patchwork, as monolith says. Both franchises have looted bits and pieces from the work of Joseph Campbell, famously, and the Georges have been very open about that. Obviously there are going to be quite a few shared elements.

phantom_power

Yeah, the world of Mad Max is culled from loads of places, some of which built on imagery that came from the first two films. I think what is great about Fury Road and the Mad Max films in general is how consistent and "real" his vision is. It is a fully rounded, believable world, even though continuity and reason go out of the window at times.

Noodle Lizard

I'm off to a Q&A on Saturday with all this year's Director nominees (that includes Miller).  Trying to think of a good question for him if I get a chance, other than really boring "How did you do that?!" ones.  Anything worth asking?

For what it's worth, I really hope he wins.  The only other nominee I'd be happy to win is Inarritu, but he already won last year and The Revenant, while very impressive, isn't as much of a directorial feat as Mad Max I don't think.

Glebe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 04, 2016, 12:01:32 PMThe only other nominee I'd be happy to win is Inarritu, but he already won last year and The Revenant, while very impressive, isn't as much of a directorial feat as Mad Max I don't think.

Yeah, I didn't realise Mad Max had been nominated, watching The Revenant I thought, "Surely Iñárritu[nb]Thanks, copy and paste![/nb]'s got the director Oscar in the bag for this?" But then I forgot, as you say Noodle, he won last year. As for the other nominees, I've not seen The Big Short or Room... Spotlight is a good movie but not particular interesting visually. It'd be great if Miller won... just looking up the nominees now, I see it's nominated for Best Picture, too!

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Glebe on February 04, 2016, 12:29:33 PM
Yeah, I didn't realise Mad Max had been nominated, watching The Revenant I thought, "Surely Iñárritu[nb]Thanks, copy and paste![/nb]'s got the director Oscar in the bag for this?" But then I forgot, as you say Noodle, he won last year. As for the other nominees, I've not seen The Big Short or Room... Spotlight is a good movie but not particular interesting visually. It'd be great if Miller won... it's nominated for Best Picture too!

I wouldn't think The Big Short or Room would get Best Director, as they're fairly unremarkable from that standpoint (and the directors aren't pre-existing Academy darlings, Abrahamson hasn't even been nominated by the DGA).  Spotlight has a good chance at Best Picture, but yeah, not sure it's got much going for it technically.  I reckon it's between Miller and Inarritu.  Inarritu won the Golden Globe, but then he didn't win it last year and the HFPA have enjoyed playing catch-up in the past.

Fingers crossed for Miller, he definitely deserves it.

Glebe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 04, 2016, 12:36:22 PMFingers crossed for Miller, he definitely deserves it.

Wouldn't it be beautiful to get an Oscar for a great reboot of your own classic movie?

Steven

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 04, 2016, 12:01:32 PM
I'm off to a Q&A on Saturday with all this year's Director nominees (that includes Miller).  Trying to think of a good question for him if I get a chance, other than really boring "How did you do that?!" ones.

"Where do you get all your crazy ideas from?"

Shaky

monolith

Just got around to watching this on Blu Ray.

Needs to be seen at the cinema to fully appreciate it and it felt a bit soulless on the small screen.

I'm still looking forward to a sequel, watching it for the first time last year was one of the most exhilarating experiences I've had at the cinema but after the 3rd watch there's not much left to enjoy when you know what's coming.

Was so fucking pumped about this film originally, have been saying to my girlfriend that she should watch it but thought I'd give it a test run to see if it's as good as I remembered and it's not (the action sequences are obviously amazing and he still deserves best director for pulling off so much mad shit with so little CGI).

Glebe

greenman

Certainly a film that makes me miss the more indepth documentary's pre streaming, has some decent stuff on the disk but there could have been a lot more.

Glebe

When You'll Be Able To See Mad Max: Fury Road In Black And White.

QuoteWell, after almost a year of promises, we're finally going to get our chance to see the "Black and Chrome" cut of the film, when the Mad Max High Octane Collection drops on December 6th.

'Bout time too.

Glebe

Shaky

Quote from: Glebe on September 18, 2016, 03:26:59 AM
'Mad Max: Fury Road' Prequel Reportedly in the Works.

As the article suggests, the report sounds a bit fishy.

Hmmm, that does sound like balls. If the studio want more Furiosa - and I can imagine that they might - why make a prequel? She and Max had clearly never met before the events of Fury Road. I suppose you could have parallel tales running alongside each other but that's starting to get a bit convoluted.

The comics dipped into some of the backstory for Furiosa, Joe etc anyway so not sure why Miller would want (possibly) bring that to the big screen if it's sort of been done already.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: monolith on February 05, 2016, 01:51:15 AM
Just got around to watching this on Blu Ray.

Needs to be seen at the cinema to fully appreciate it and it felt a bit soulless on the small screen.

I'm still looking forward to a sequel, watching it for the first time last year was one of the most exhilarating experiences I've had at the cinema but after the 3rd watch there's not much left to enjoy when you know what's coming.

Was so fucking pumped about this film originally, have been saying to my girlfriend that she should watch it but thought I'd give it a test run to see if it's as good as I remembered and it's not (the action sequences are obviously amazing and he still deserves best director for pulling off so much mad shit with so little CGI).
Ah I dunno, I saw it three times in cinema and I'd see it again. It's more about the sound than the screen tbh, big roaring engines all the time.

Wouldn't bother with it at home at all.

Bazooka

Good tv and on blue ray, it's great.

Glebe

Quote from: Bazooka on September 25, 2016, 12:40:38 PMGood tv and on blue ray, it's great.

Yeah, I imagine the Blu-ray does the job on a large-screen HDTV.

hewantstolurkatad

But guys, guyyyyyys, the engines roaring! That's like 95% of the film right there.

Glebe

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on September 25, 2016, 01:30:38 PMBut guys, guyyyyyys, the engines roaring! That's like 95% of the film right there.

It does exactly what it says on the tin: Fury Road.

Bazooka

Too many criticisms of this film come from the strangely odd critique that its is just a car chase through the desert for an hour and a bit. This critique is the equivalent to saying Silence Of The Lambs is just the police trying to catch a serial killer or OldBoy is a bloke just getting revenge.

This is a great film, it does everything it sets out to do well, Miller has created a genre called "road" that we will never really see again in the same light.

I really didn't like it that much, yes it was good the first time, but it's all so sanitised and Americanised...would've been far better with Mel, didn't it used to be set in Australia? With all regional dialogue?

I miss that aspect...the dirt, the rough edges.

Bazooka

Quote from: captaincockring on September 25, 2016, 10:07:33 PM
I really didn't like it that much, yes it was good the first time, but it's all so sanitised and Americanised...would've been far better with Mel, didn't it used to be set in Australia? With all regional dialogue?

I do agree wholeheartedly, other than you didn't like it. It had the vision and the vehicle aspect was flawless, but there is no doubt the cost of making such a film without being saturated in CGI meant it lost the grittiness that would have made it perfect, plus Mel.

Yet I still can't think of any modern action film in the last decade or so that is even in the same league as this.

Shaky

Quote from: captaincockring on September 25, 2016, 10:07:33 PM

It is still set in Australia, though, albeit with a few different accents thrown in. The "American" characters use some pretty Oz-specific slang.

Gibbo would've brought a cragginess and continuity but other than that I don't see what he would have added that Hardy didn't. Max still would've had about ten lines of dialogue.

I should add that I'd like to see a story involving an old Max but I think ultimately FR wasn't the right time/place for that.

Doesn't look like Australia, it looks more like Africa.

I didn't like Tom Hardy in this at all, I don't think he even convinced himself he was Max...and I usually really like him too, he's capable of more than this allowed him to do, Max was sidelined in his own film.

The problems with this film are legion tbh, if the action wasn't so well done it would be regarded as a turkey.

But it's done really fucking well, some gorgeous imagery too...drop dead gorgeous.

Shaky

Quote from: captaincockring on September 26, 2016, 12:54:51 AM
Doesn't look like Australia, it looks more like Africa.

Oh definitely, but it is supposed to be Oz.

Quote from: Shaky on September 26, 2016, 01:21:17 AM
Oh definitely, but it is supposed to be Oz.

I instantly made some theories that maybe the surviving population was forced to travel north across the dead dried up oceans.

greenman

There are obviously still some aspects that tie it to Australia but really I think that aspect becomes far less prominent than it was in the original films.

It does definitely lose a lot of the grittiness of the originals as well but replaces it with some pretty amazing visuals that actually work towards the story/characters. Very easy to put yourself in the head of one of the warboys during that opening chase/sandstorm for example.