Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:08:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Types of Twitter arsehole you don't like

Started by canadagoose, October 27, 2020, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajer

Quote from: petrilTanaka on March 11, 2021, 04:44:02 PM
Graham Linehan considers rewrite

You've disabled notifs, you've disabled notifs
I'm getting scowls from Lords so I must keep it brief

willbo

There's a man on the Reddit Marilyn Manson sub/board who has been obsessed with defending Manson over the past couple of weeks, using arguments which are so stupid that I basically feel mentally damaged by reading them. I know that sounds like hyperbole, but I fought with him like 2/3 weeks ago and I've been obsessing over the stupid things he writes and how...well, stupid they are. Like I just can't cope with someone saying that stuff existing.

to give some examples -

"Sid vicious murdered his girlfriend then killed himself . GG allin openly raped women bragged about it, regularly ate and flung shit on stage and had racist and pedo songs and varg vikernes bragged about burning churches and murdering a rival band mate. Nobody said boycott the bands."

"Can you SJWs get the fuck out of the Manson fan scene. In 1994 to the 2000s it was cool to be edgy and politically incorrect as fuck, nobody gave a shit. Infact I wouldn't care if Manson did what he did. No spooky kid goth was into wearing good guy badges or acting morally superior back in the day."

"If you wear (a Manson) shirt in public expect some psycho borderline bitch to start bullying you non stop and then claim you were physically threatening or abusive in retaliation"

"No I've studied what bpd is in university. It's not black and white anyone can be on a spectrum. Just like narcissism, you don't need to be officially npd to be dangerous or toxic narcissist. There is a liklihood Evan is on the bpd spectrum and a few others based on things discussed prior including tone and style of accusations. That's why she could pull it off so well in (her film) thirteen and date Manson. It's partly self evident. Also her and the game of throne chick and others are likely to be borderlines."

"I personally wouldn't give a fuck if he was convinced and guilty. I like black metal bands who have committed murder and satanic sacrifice and sociopaths like gg allin who openly rape people in audience. If anything psychopathic manipulation and sexual rape is more fitting for Mansons character"

"My best guess is he wronged her at some point that left a scar, but not in an illegal way...She's bubblegum because he never fully embraced or understood the dark rock n roll world Manson was in or adjacent things like the goth culture or alt sexual culture.She's quite a typical normie, mostly at least"

"Her language phrasing and post frequency etc and my gut feeling tells me she isn't a rape survivor or severely traumatized person she is an attention seeking emotionally unstable person with a hip celebrity facade looking to get revenge that isn't based on illegal activity like rape or domestic violence but jealously and discomfort of Mansons success, his new marriage, his new roles and the emotional abuse she willingly accepted by entering that relationship and consenting to hardcore painful fetishes or things she didn't enjoy"

buttgammon

^What a load of deranged nonsense, and extremely stupid to boot.

Kankurette

Wow. So because this guy likes Manson's music, it means rape is OK because other bands did it. Never mind that loads of women said Manson was an abuser, not just Wood.

I like Lostprophets. That doesn't mean I think it's OK to rape babies.

Fambo Number Mive

Noticed a COVID denier account today that had this in its bio

"Mask in profile pic - don't follow me"

The account has less than 100 followers, so can't really afford to be that picky.

BritishHobo

Very odd situation going on at the moment. A TikTok creator who documents her beekeeping career has been called out by another creator as supposedly being fake, in a fairly vague and nebulous way. Twitter have accepted this testimony as hard fact, and promptly hundreds of thousands of people have set about tweeting that she is a fraud and all her videos are fake. Someone at some point casually claimed she's a Trump supporter, and that's now become part of the story as well, even though there's absolutely no source for the claim.

I know this all sounds silly, in a 'bloody social media!' eyeroll sort of way, but I think it's genuinely fascinating as an example of how insane these sorts of 'Main Character of Twitter' events are becoming. This feels like a bit of a benchmark. On previous occasions, there is at least a tweet or a video clip from the person in question, which is either reprehensible, or can be seen as such out of context. There's a tangible starting point for the outcry, whether it's right or wrong. Here, there's nothing. Nobody has unearthed any quotes or clips where she praises Trump - somebody just said it on Twitter. And nobody knows who, because due to the nature of Twitter it's a nightmare finding the ground zero of a story. So everyone is angry about the political opinions of a woman despite never having read or heard any of her political opinions.

I think the oddest thing about it is that everyone is acting this outrage about her supposed fakery, but none of them really seem to understand what the fakery is supposed to entail. There is actual footage of her removing nests and the like. A lot of people are going 'I CAN'T BELIEVE THE BEE LADY IS FAKE', and then when people ask for clarification, they go 'I don't know, I guess I heard maybe her husband puts the bees there?', or 'I think someone said she doesn't follow all the safety procedures so if someone copies her video then they'll get stung or something'. Suddenly claiming to be really worried about how dangerous her videos might be. It really shines a spotlight on the hollow nature of the outrage. How can you claim to be angry about something when you don't actually know what it is?

There is definitely a massive culture where people are just excited by the idea of a popular figure being brought down, and so they act out the outrage because otherwise they would have to admit it's not about justice, it's about the thrill of being in a crowd, and not being the figure who's being toppled. Anyone who unironically talks about people being milkshake ducked, or being the main character of Twitter, needs to take a break. That's not being invested in justice, it's thirsting for drama.

chveik

popcorn

I don't get this guy RS Archer. He produces blatantly made-up stories of liberals owning Brexiters that get billions of RTs and I can't figure out if people just think they're fantastic or if it's some sort of meta thing and everyone knows they're made up, like they're some sort of arch parody that's beyond me.

buttgammon

Quote from: popcorn on June 26, 2021, 11:01:28 AM
I don't get this guy RS Archer. He produces blatantly made-up stories of liberals owning Brexiters that get billions of RTs and I can't figure out if people just think they're fantastic or if it's some sort of meta thing and everyone knows they're made up, like they're some sort of arch parody that's beyond me.

I'd love to think this is a Trevor Bastard account that got out of hand but it's just a Lib Dem, isn't it?

canadagoose

Quote from: popcorn on June 26, 2021, 11:01:28 AM
S4C4FBPE

king_tubby

Quote from: buttgammon on June 26, 2021, 11:37:47 AM
I'd love to think this is a Trevor Bastard account that got out of hand but it's just a Lib Dem, isn't it?

How dare you besmirch the good name of the TBEU by associating it with that fud?

buttgammon

Quote from: king_tubby on June 26, 2021, 12:13:32 PM
How dare you besmirch the good name of the TBEU by associating it with that fud?

It really seems like the sort of parody they'd go for - the silliness of the guy calling his MP, plus details like "his wife's new Range Rover" made it seem like exactly that sort of high attention to detail pisstake. It's wishful thinking, but we can only live in hope!

king_tubby

touchingcloth

Quote from: willbo on March 13, 2021, 11:44:36 AM
GG allin openly raped women bragged about it, regularly ate and flung shit on stage and had racist and pedo songs

The Ha Ha Bonk Book was great as well.

Ronnie the Raincoat

Quote from: buttgammon on June 26, 2021, 01:26:47 PM
It really seems like the sort of parody they'd go for - the silliness of the guy calling his MP, plus details like "his wife's new Range Rover" made it seem like exactly that sort of high attention to detail pisstake. It's wishful thinking, but we can only live in hope!

I am married to Trevor Bastard - can confirm it's not him.

It does almost read like parody but I think the guy is serious but full of shit, don't understand why he gets so much traction on his tweets. That's my type of Twitter arsehole - people who tell clearly bollocks stories so that centrists can nod and applaud themselves. And anyone who live tweets or makes up "meet cutes", like this one which really backfired:
https://www.vox.com/first-person/2018/7/10/17553796/plane-bae-viral-airplane-romance

Perry

- Those so-called "stans" who would love to see you and your whole family dead if you dare to say something against their favorite precious celebrity/TV show/ musician/whoever/whatever. Most of the time you would think you would argue in that moment with some kid who somehow manage to get access to the internet, until you find out that they are already old enough to have their own children. Sometimes it's just amazing to see how people being addicted to something so much and starting fights to protect/defend who/what they like and thinking the way they handle this is totally fine.

- Fancam spammers. Thought at first this would only be a thing among K-Pop fans, but turns out there are fancams for literally everything now.

- Those people who gonna use their popular tweets to advertising afterwards all kind of junk. No, I'm not interested in a your fancy dildo or galaxy lights, thanks.

Cuellar

king_tubby

Quote from: Ronnie the Raincoat on June 26, 2021, 07:31:04 PM
I am married to Trevor Bastard - can confirm it's not him.

Hallo! Have you told him someone thinks that he did this? Cos that'd be funny.

idunnosomename

just to say that galaxy light or big cuddly penises things under viral tweets are dropshipping: the advertiser is someone selling a product at a massive overhead from its actual price, and essentially just buys it from another retailer and has it sent to their customer.

never had anything go viral enough to get a DM for one but I'd much rather to tell them to fuck off than the £15-20 you get

Perry

Quote from: Cuellar on June 26, 2021, 09:10:46 PM
What is a fancam
Originally small videos which either following a specific person performing on stage or focusing on a person performing, used mainly at the beginning by K-pop fans to present their favorite bands/singers in action. Nowadays, people making their own versions now of those fancams using their favorite TV show, movie etc. It's basically a way for those people to say "Look how cool this person/show/movie/whatever is!!!" in video format.

touchingcloth

Cuellar

Right. I really don't think that warrants a whole new word if I'm honest. I'd like it stopped, thanks.

Kankurette

Quote from: touchingcloth on June 26, 2021, 02:01:13 PM
The Ha Ha Bonk Book was great as well.
A classic.
Quote from: Perry on June 26, 2021, 09:06:53 PM
- Those so-called "stans" who would love to see you and your whole family dead if you dare to say something against their favorite precious celebrity/TV show/ musician/whoever/whatever. Most of the time you would think you would argue in that moment with some kid who somehow manage to get access to the internet, until you find out that they are already old enough to have their own children. Sometimes it's just amazing to see how people being addicted to something so much and starting fights to protect/defend who/what they like and thinking the way they handle this is totally fine.

- Fancam spammers. Thought at first this would only be a thing among K-Pop fans, but turns out there are fancams for literally everything now.

- Those people who gonna use their popular tweets to advertising afterwards all kind of junk. No, I'm not interested in a your fancy dildo or galaxy lights, thanks.
Not just pop either. I can think of a certain team whose fans are a bit rabid and get very upset if you say anything bad about them. Grown men.

Also the Beyhive.

canadagoose

There is a sort of person who seems to frequently appear in replies to things that my "friends" on Twitter retweet, and I don't know why they irritate me. They use words like "praxis" and "bodies" instead of people, and type like Amanda bloody Palmer. They usually end their tweets with something really patronising, like "don't do that, okay." Sure they're not as bad as the bigots on there, but they get on my nerves. It's like written haughtiness.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: canadagoose on June 27, 2021, 09:54:59 AM
There is a sort of person who seems to frequently appear in replies to things that my "friends" on Twitter retweet, and I don't know why they irritate me. They use words like "praxis" and "bodies" instead of people, and type like Amanda bloody Palmer. They usually end their tweets with something really patronising, like "don't do that, okay." Sure they're not as bad as the bigots on there, but they get on my nerves. It's like written haughtiness.

I noticed the Manson disciple used the term 'typical normie' for MM's abused ex-partner. Dressing up all in black with dyed hair and eyeliner is hardly abnormal, sunbeam. Thousands and thousands of 'young' people have been doing this schtick for the past forty years. In fact, some of the most down-to-earth, pleasant people I've ever met have been goth/emo' industrial types. Proper normie.

Kankurette

Quote from: canadagoose on June 27, 2021, 09:54:59 AM
Oh, shitting hell, do NOT get me started on referring to people as 'bodies'. Like 'violence against black bodies', or in my case, 'disabled bodies'. I hate it. It's dehumanising and it makes me feel like a decapitated person. I am not a disabled body, I HAVE a disabled body. I am a disabled PERSON. And I know the exact kind of person you mean too.

Also, why do wankers like that go on about things being 'not okay'? 'I am not okay', 'this is not okay', 'setting kittens on fire is not okay', yada yada.
Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 27, 2021, 11:45:57 AM
I noticed the Manson disciple used the term 'typical normie' for MM's abused ex-partner. Dressing up all in black with dyed hair and eyeliner is hardly abnormal, sunbeam. Thousands and thousands of 'young' people have been doing this schtick for the past forty years. In fact, some of the most down-to-earth, pleasant people I've ever met have been goth/emo' industrial types. Proper normie.
Me too. The stereotype that goths are all miserable sods is unfair. Most of the ones I know are very cheerful and fun (and I'm still in touch with an emo kid I met in the rock soc at uni and he's a lovely lad).

popcorn

I think goths would be cooler if they were all miserable and dangerous. I used to work with a goth and she was always playing the fiddle and making sandwiches for everyone. It was bitterly disappointing.

Kankurette

They're out there. The Manchester goth scene is notorious for having some real wankers.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Kankurette on June 27, 2021, 03:26:35 PM
The stereotype that goths are all miserable sods is unfair. Most of the ones I know are very cheerful and fun (and I'm still in touch with an emo kid I met in the rock soc at uni and he's a lovely lad).

The 'bodies' thing feels very 2016 to me. Is that not all down to one black dude who used to write for the NYT?

Agreed on goths, I think it's because the subculture has shifted over time. Less of the depressive post-punk types and more of the extroverted theatrical kids. It takes a certain amount of energy and extraversion to get up in the morning and put on corpse make-up and a frilly shirt.

Emo is also theatrical but I would argue that emo lads were the canaries in the coal mine for experimental forms of masculine identity. Make-up, overt emotionality, performative vulnerability and a degree of helplessness. I think the next generation on from emo kids, today's zoomers naturally perform their masculinity in a similar way albeit without the eye-liner.