Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:41:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Documental (Japanese Comedy Show)

Started by fit bird, October 11, 2021, 10:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amateur

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 19, 2021, 12:52:23 PM
That first episode was a bit of a slog to be honest, it's such a simple idea for a show but you've got bloke explaining it for ages and then endless shots of the contestants going 'fucks this about then', but actually it helps you to learn who's who which isn't easy as I know fuck all Japanese comedians.

For the first episode of each new season after the first one, I skip to your man explaining
Spoiler alert
the new rules
[close]
just before it starts.

Given that I have no clue who any if these pricks are (other than repeat ones), and their style of comedy doesn't matter, it means I'm straight into in.

Love to find the funny faster.

(Edit for quote)

amateur

Series four episode four, fucking hell. I've never seen anything like it.

The unbelievably long
Spoiler alert
dance and song
[close]
by Fujimoto and Kurosawa just kept GOING, then Kukky turns up and I thought I was going to have a breakdown. Astonishing.

The most innocuous conversations rapidly turn into
Spoiler alert
a group singalong while someone has their balls cupped before pissing on the floor
[close]
. And your man had a
Spoiler alert
FULL ERECTION
[close]
on display!

I can't imagine how any other country's attempt could be anywhere near as debased and I love it.

PlanktonSideburns

Swoz_MK

Quote from: amateur on October 19, 2021, 09:45:50 PM
Series four episode four, fucking hell. I've never seen anything like it.

The unbelievably long
Spoiler alert
dance and song
[close]
by Fujimoto and Kurosawa just kept GOING, then Kukky turns up and I thought I was going to have a breakdown. Astonishing.

The most innocuous conversations rapidly turn into
Spoiler alert
a group singalong while someone has their balls cupped before pissing on the floor
[close]
. And your man had a
Spoiler alert
FULL ERECTION
[close]
on display!

I can't imagine how any other country's attempt could be anywhere near as debased and I love it.

Of the four series on Prime, that's by far my favourite episode*. Insanity.

*maybe the Joyman stuff, actually

JamesTC

Onto episode 3. I like the Stewart Lee one.

Rolf Lundgren

Watched the first two series a while back and loved it but needed a break. Part of the problem is that I subconsciously play along at home so don't always laugh as much as I should. It's a bit like suppressing a sneeze after a while.

The change of punishing passive play was very important. The funniest thing I remember from the first one doesn't sound very funny written down but when Anthony left the room and
Spoiler alert
came back in a matching t-shirt and combo like a Miami tourist then lit up a 12 inch long cigar without comment
[close]
floored me.

Forcing each other to look at funny photos was always a winner too, especially the one with his mum doing a hula hoop. Quite liked the Australian one, had it's moments but did show up some of the comedians as having no patter. Think you need to go mad though to make the format work or at least have two loose cannons. Can't imagine a British version with Ed Gamble and Josh Widdecombe seeing who can
Spoiler alert
expose their bumholes the fastest
[close]

Dickie_Anders

I think that one Gaki no Tsukai New Year Special where they do the trial for Endo is probably my favourite television comedy aired, ever, in the world. Just painful painful stuff. I remember pissing myself with laughter while my empathy glands just flooded for the poor stupid cunt, a strange combination of feelings that no other show has made me feel before or since

madhair60

Quote from: Dickie_Anders on October 20, 2021, 10:48:46 PM
I think that one Gaki no Tsukai New Year Special where they do the trial for Endo is probably my favourite television comedy aired, ever, in the world. Just painful painful stuff. I remember pissing myself with laughter while my empathy glands just flooded for the poor stupid cunt, a strange combination of feelings that no other show has made me feel before or since

Where can I see this? :)

fit bird

Quote from: madhair60 on October 20, 2021, 11:02:20 PM
Where can I see this? :)
It's around three hours into the 2012 'batsu game'
Spoiler alert
which should be in the same mega link as the documentals
[close]

madhair60

Cheers, still can't find it though. No worries, will have a big dig.

amateur

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on October 20, 2021, 10:25:35 PMThe change of punishing passive play was very important.

Yeah, this is huge. I can't remember if it happened in the first series, but the group-enforced rule of "if someone is doing something, you have to watch" is really key - if you didn't have this it wouldn't work.

I also love how Matsumoto's buttons have got steadily more elaborate in every series.

Jerzy Bondov

I fucking love it when someone comes in with some mad shit on their head and people just turn around like no, don't need to look at that. Love it in s01e03 when Anthony
Spoiler alert
is just sat on the sofa for ages with his lad out and nobody seems to react in any way
[close]

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on October 20, 2021, 10:25:35 PM
Watched the first two series a while back and loved it but needed a break. Part of the problem is that I subconsciously play along at home so don't always laugh as much as I should. It's a bit like suppressing a sneeze after a while.
I have this problem too. I think that's why they let you hear the crew and Matsumoto laughing, to try and break that tension a bit and let the audience know they don't have to play along.

amateur

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 21, 2021, 09:28:53 AM
I fucking love it when someone comes in with some mad shit on their head and people just turn around like no, don't need to look at that.

When they directly say something like "what are you doing? That's not funny, do you even know comedy", to something that is objectively hilarious, that's some of my favourite shit.

The combination of items, previously unfunny, to make something that breaks someone is also diamond - like the
Spoiler alert
oogiri answers and the phone cases with comedians on
[close]

chutnut

Quote from: madhair60 on October 20, 2021, 11:48:52 PM
Cheers, still can't find it though. No worries, will have a big dig.

It really is in the first result when you search for 'joshimental sub' as someone said on the previous page, a reddit post that links to a page called 'the silent library' if that helps

Edit: just realised you probably meant finding the program within the link rather than the link itself..

Jerzy Bondov

Finished series 1. Unbelievably funny show. The fucking gall of Anthony getting them to
Spoiler alert
laugh at his father dying from gout, what a fucking champ. He should have won for that.
[close]
When it gets down to the last three and they're all on the offensive, I found that really tense. It gets so weird at that point, there's such an odd energy in the room.
Spoiler alert
Hard not to feel sorry for them going through all that, getting their cocks and arses out, trying to shit, and nobody winning
Spoiler alert
[close]
[close]

Ja'moke

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on October 20, 2021, 10:25:35 PM
Can't imagine a British version with Ed Gamble and Josh Widdecombe seeing who can
Spoiler alert
expose their bumholes the fastest
[close]

A British version would have to make sure it had personalities that could tap into that unabashed wildness. Someone like Rhod Gilbert would be good if his Taskmaster run is anything to go by, lots of insanity came out there. Sally Phillips too. And Bob Mortimer would obviously be fantastic.

MojoJojo

amateur

Just finished series 4 and delighted with the winner. Also delighted at the absolutely foul scenes that led to it.

Haven't got the technical skill to get the fansubs on my telly so will give the Australian version a spin. Don't love the interstitial chats, at the moment, but let's see.

amateur

Nah, I can't cope with how tightly edited this is. You lose the amazing silence and reactions. Despite my enduring love for Aussies saying "ah look mate mate. Mate. Look mate" etc.

Also, the
Spoiler alert
Joker Card thing
[close]
was unspoken in the Japanese version, and I prefer that approach.

Ja'moke

Yeah, I thought the Aussie version was ok (mostly for Frank Woodley) but the constant confessionals took me out of it. And I don't like that it doesn't show you who laughs until the replay... you really don't need that mystery element in this kind of show.

MojoJojo

Just watched the first one. Found it a bit slow to get going, but willing to give it time.

I have to say, with all the stuff about how the contestants raised the entry fee, it compliments Squid games well.

amateur

Quote from: MojoJojo on October 22, 2021, 10:13:27 AM
Just watched the first one. Found it a bit slow to get going, but willing to give it time.

I have to say, with all the stuff about how the contestants raised the entry fee, it compliments Squid games well.

I definitely found it the same but by the end of the third episode I was hooked. It's compulsive stuff.

Quote from: weaseldust on October 13, 2021, 10:38:09 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/GakiNoTsukai/wiki/docu/

series 7 is still in the process of being translated

Ah, first episode of season five is a broken link. If anyone has any other sources I'd love to give it a bang.

Poobum

Watching the introductions made Japanese comedy look very shit, just lots of double acts gurning and shouting at each other. Be interesting to know how much I'm missing just out of cultural blindness.

kidney

Very funny show, as others said Fujimoto is fantastic, his trying-not-to-laugh face is so funny that I'm amazed the others don't laugh at him more. Jimmy is a treasure too. Must admit I dropped
Spoiler alert
Season 5
[close]
and will move on to the next season,
Spoiler alert
because of how obnoxious the Hollywood guy is. Simply too much random gurning and yelling for me to handle.
[close]

weaseldust

Quote from: amateur on October 22, 2021, 10:14:38 AM
Ah, first episode of season five is a broken link. If anyone has any other sources I'd love to give it a bang.

there's a link to a website called 'the silent library' on that reddit page (above season four) which has it. click on 'files' at the top there and go to '09 - other shows'

fit bird

Quote from: kidney on October 22, 2021, 12:12:46 PM
Very funny show, as others said Fujimoto is fantastic, his trying-not-to-laugh face is so funny that I'm amazed the others don't laugh at him more. Jimmy is a treasure too. Must admit I dropped
Spoiler alert
Season 5
[close]
and will move on to the next season,
Spoiler alert
because of how obnoxious the Hollywood guy is. Simply too much random gurning and yelling for me to handle.
[close]
Don't really like Hollywood  much either, but if you like Jimmy it's worth sticking with
Spoiler alert
5 just to see him get an intense handjob.
[close]

chutnut

It's also funny seeing Fujimoto's transformation from trendy-looking guy in the early seasons to total dweeb in season 6

Ja'moke

Kukky is an absolute master at the freakiest yet most hilarious looking costumes. The stuff of nightmares.