Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:17:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Franz Ferdinand have just emailed me to say that their drummer has left the band

Started by holyzombiejesus, October 21, 2021, 05:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: ProvanFan on October 21, 2021, 11:47:10 PM
I just looked up the lyrics to The Matinee Song by 'Franz Ferdinand' and found the opening line is about a white finger, not a right finger. I always thought it was right finger.

That's nothing compared to the mistake I made with the chorus.

ajsmith2

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 21, 2021, 10:51:35 PM
They were Domino Records' first proper big selling act, weren't they? In a way they're responsible for the masses of dreck the label went on to release once they had a bit of money. All those shitty bands.

Franz Ferdinand ruins Domino...

H-O-W-L

Genuinely mixed this shower of belms up with Kaiser Chiefs when thinking about what I knew of them. Both total shit.

Blinder Data

I was a fan as a young'un, though I only kept up with the first two albums.

Listening to the second album now - still good, as good as the first imo.

FF 4 EVA <3

peanutbutter

I remember liking that they had a reasonably quick turnaround on the second album, for that period in particular there seemed to be a lot of bands with an acclaimed debut and then a 2.5+ year wait for something that sounded like rejects from the first album.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 22, 2021, 12:50:36 PM
Genuinely mixed this shower of belms up with Kaiser Chiefs when thinking about what I knew of them. Both total shit.
Eh, Franz Ferdinand's music did very little for me, but they certainly didn't have the sheer irritation factor of Kaiser Chiefs.  Though in truth, that whole series of bands were probably what made me (aged in my early/md 20s) lose all interest in contemporary music and instead buy up the back catalogues of various New Wave/Post Punk bands instead (ie Wire, XTC, Psychedelic Furs, Gang of Four). Felt like you were getting what then newer bands were aiming at, but with actual enjoyable results.

Quote from: peanutbutter on October 22, 2021, 01:05:03 PM
I remember liking that they had a reasonably quick turnaround on the second album, for that period in particular there seemed to be a lot of bands with an acclaimed debut and then a 2.5+ year wait for something that sounded like rejects from the first album.
I wonder if the frontman being a bit more, ahem, 'mature' meant he had a bigger backlog of songs ready?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 22, 2021, 01:08:57 PM
Eh, Franz Ferdinand's music did very little for me, but they certainly didn't have the sheer irritation factor of Kaiser Chiefs.  Though in truth, that whole series of bands were probably what made me (aged in my early/md 20s) lose all interest in contemporary music and instead buy up the back catalogues of various New Wave/Post Punk bands instead (ie Wire, XTC, Psychedelic Furs, Gang of Four). Felt like you were getting what then newer bands were aiming at, but with actual enjoyable results.

This was my reaction too honestly. They all blurred together into contemperaneous smudge.

Captain Z

Apparently they will form a supergroup with Foo Fighters, Friendly Fires and Funeral For A Friend to become - get this - Ultradyne Systems.

imitationleather

sevendaughters

gilbertharding

Like everyone else, I quite liked the first few singles, but quickly became disenchanted when they became Hootenanny regulars, and the singing one became a fucking Guardian columnist. *shudders*

PaulTMA

Kinda strange that The Yummy Fur now have more long-term members these days

Famous Mortimer

I remember, being a slight fan of tape-label / indie 7" mainstays the Yummy Fur, being quite surprised most of them were now in Franz Ferdinand.

EDIT: never mind, I'm not the first person to mention this (and don't have anything else interesting to say about them).

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 22, 2021, 06:12:11 PM
I remember, being a slight fan of tape-label / indie 7" mainstays the Yummy Fur, being quite surprised most of them were now in Franz Ferdinand.

EDIT: never mind, I'm not the first person to mention this (and don't have anything else interesting to say about them).

Lung Leg? They're only the band Franz Ferdinand could have been.

sutin

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 21, 2021, 06:44:29 PM
Was the album they did with Sparks any good? Still haven't got around to that.

It's fantastic, but Ron Mael wrote almost all of it.

Pauline Walnuts

The Mollusk

What the fuck, it's like a POV video where you're a woman he's trying to chat up in a bar

imitationleather

Brundle-Fly

It's a bit smarmy, but I guess he's trying reinvent himself a'la Lauren Laverne. La la la.

imitationleather

Lovely head of hair on him, anyway.

I showed my missus the video and she said he's like Dennis Nilsen.

Lovely head of hair on him as well, come to think of it.

kngen

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on August 06, 2022, 06:04:46 PMEw! There's something a bit skin-crawling about him...

https://twitter.com/LlSTENlNG_PARTY/status/1555947047819399176?t=jAXtD6W0zhMB4B6gp_aXwA&s=09

He always reminded me of Peter Richardson playing the part of an unctuous smoothie (can't quite recall from where, though - maybe several things. He did it very well.) That clip has done nothing to dispel this feeling.

GoblinAhFuckScary

met kapranos at a party once. i was very high and felt it right to take the piss out of his songs at him, but he was actually quite friendly like specially since i'd recently played a show with someone he likes

imitationleather

My girlfriend (at the time) got talking to him at a gig and then he remembered her when they bumped into each other at Glastonbury ages later and they had a big old chat.

Apparently he was very nice but I dunno if that's because he wanted to get off with her. If it had been me instead of her he was apparently very pleased to see again I'd be able to get a better measure of the man.

If you had a gun against my head I'd guess he's probably alright though.

Brundle-Fly

LordMorgan

I quite liked that wee video, and I like a lot of their songs. Definitely more of a singles group. Even the first two albums are patchy.
He seems nice tho, and I have to say, looks tremendous for 50.

Icehaven

Chicory

He's a Cheeky McChappy splicing experiment utilising elements of Tennant and Nicky Campbell.