Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:15:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Orville Series 3: The End

Started by Cloud, August 02, 2020, 10:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Malcy

Ah fuck. The Orville was far superior to any Trek that's been put out in recent years. Funny, well written and great guest stars. Right fucking shame.

Not sure I believe the 3 was all that was planned stuff in that article. Not from all the interviews I read of where they were hoping to go post series 3 etc.

Sin Agog

Was the critics/fan divide not quite what it was touted?  I thought it was doing pretty well.  Obviously it won't be the cheapest showgram in the world to make, though.

I quite liked it, even with MacFarlane's weird plastic man-baby face all over it.  It's not even as episodic as people say- there are far more callbacks to past plotlines than you'd ever see in the original Treks.

Alberon

Just got to the level of decent and it gets canned. It reached the Stargate SG-1 level of light-hearted action show, and that's not a criticism. The first season was mostly awful until a large part of the jarring type of humour was removed.

The report says the third season was planned as the last and it was a contractual thing that it had to go ahead.

Can't have been a cheap show, but it's a shame it couldn't survive as a going concern.

Cloud

Sorry, I appear to have spread bullshit, maybe, or am about to, who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gpCOa9KMRY

You know, at this point, I think I'm done believing literally anything on the internet, including this "tear apart" (lots of these "bearded white male with an avatar of themselves on youtube" spend huge amount of time complaining about "SJWs ruining Doctor Who" etc so I find myself automatically pre-judging him).  If it continues great, if it doesn't it doesn't - we'll find out in due course!

Jock Macabre

I really hope it is indeed just a little bit of internet bullshit. I'm a slag for anything Seth MacFarlane does, tbf, but I've really enjoyed this series so far. Killing it whilst keeping an essentially Simpsons-state Family Guy going makes no real sense to me, although admittedly, that sentiment comes from a place of never looking at TV ratings for anything.
Keep it going. Watching the new episode of the Orville followed by Star Trek: Discovery each week is the last remnants of a TV-based routine I have anymore and even they're streamed.

Malcy

Quote from: Jock Macabre on August 09, 2020, 05:25:51 PM
I really hope it is indeed just a little bit of internet bullshit. I'm a slag for anything Seth MacFarlane does, tbf, but I've really enjoyed this series so far. Killing it whilst keeping an essentially Simpsons-state Family Guy going makes no real sense to me, although admittedly, that sentiment comes from a place of never looking at TV ratings for anything.
Keep it going. Watching the new episode of the Orville followed by Star Trek: Discovery each week is the last remnants of a TV-based routine I have anymore and even they're streamed.

I was watching the Orville then DSC straight after and couldn't tell at first if watching the Orville first was why I thought DSC was utter shite so I tried alternating and it made no difference.

There's absolutely nothing I dislike about The Orville. I was a fan of Family Guy & American Dad but really didn't have much time for McFarlane. That changed. I just wish he had managed to take control of Trek as he had apparently planned years back. He gets it. The current team don't at all.

Mobbd

I've just begun watching Season 1 and I like it.

I'm obviously way behind (nice to see lots of positive notes about it in previous Orville threads on CaB though) but I'm really excited to catch up. It's way better than I thought it would be.

Anyway, I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention that Season 3 is just around the corner (starting June 2nd) and, as well as other exciting things about it, it's got Norm MacDonald in it.

CaBbers more in-tune with this show will know that Norm was in Season 2, but might be made happy to hear he has reprised his role in Season 3 despite being dead. Hooray!

Alberon

If anyone hasn't seen it and is interested here is the teaser and titles to (I think) the first new episode.

The series now seems to be called The Orville: New Horizons which hopefully suggests it has a chance at a fourth season.

Malcy

Been a long wait. Was supposed to be out last month and was delayed again. Really looking forward to it. Great show.

Mobbd

Quote from: Alberon on April 07, 2022, 02:20:01 PMThe series now seems to be called The Orville: New Horizons which hopefully suggests it has a chance at a fourth season.

Let's hope so!

I read on Wikipedia earlier today that they use a 72-piece orchestra for the score. That's pretty impressive for a Star Trek parody!

I read somewhere else that the Orville ship (except for moments in battle) is actually a model. Bravo!

Not that these matter as much as script. And I've enjoyed the script so far. Really impressed (surprised to be honest) by how good this all is.

Malcy

Quote from: Mobbd on April 07, 2022, 04:59:37 PMI read on Wikipedia earlier today that they use a 72-piece orchestra for the score. That's pretty impressive for a Star Trek parody!

I have the soundtrack. It's great. The theme tune and titles are brilliant as well.

boki

Can the little green prick fly yet, or what?

Blumf

Quote from: Mobbd on April 07, 2022, 04:59:37 PMI read on Wikipedia earlier today that they use a 72-piece orchestra for the score. That's pretty impressive for a Star Trek parody!

I read somewhere else that the Orville ship (except for moments in battle) is actually a model. Bravo!

Yeah, it's pretty clear MacFarlane is putting everything he can into this, and the results show it. Proper homage to Trek.

Malcy

Malcy

The updated theme tune is shite.

Thought it was an ok episode. Not what I was expecting. Seems like it should have been in S2 after the Kaylon battle though.

I like that they now have that extra time to tell stories but hope the 70-90 minute runtimes don't get too much filler in them.

Malcy

Really enjoyed episode 2. Tense, great looking alien, brilliant visuals.

2 episodes in a row where I've felt it's making Clare the main character though. She's getting a lot of screen time. Not necessarily a bad thing but I'm hoping the focus will shift as everyone else seems to be there to speak generic sci-fi lines.

Especially Bortus. A 5 min scene for him to request another detour to have a massive piss would be welcome just to shake stuff up a bit.

Still unsure on the extended runtimes. I like the slower pace. It gives it room to breathe and gives good character scenes but just distribute that extra time between the cast.

The score is fantastic. Huge TMP vibes in this one but I really miss the original theme music.

And please bring back Alara. She's beautiful and the most gorgeous alien in anything ever.

Blumf

S03E01

Not bad, bit blunt, but you could roll with it.

Really don't think they needed the hour+ runtime, could have fitted this in the usual 45 mins.

Seth's Capt. Mercer character just doesn't show leadership like he should. Bit too passive and laid back when he should be more pointed in his behaviour, especially after all the shit they've been through with the Kaylon.

Blumf

S03E02

Completely lax security protocols nearly doom the ship. Yep, this is Star Trek alright!

Really good effects work, just on not that interesting a story. Basic premise was okay, just nothing really happened with it. Spooky bit of space, aaah monsters, okay, told them to fuck off, the end.

S03E03

So, is this going to be the show's Q equivalent? Also, want to know what would have been behind that door they avoided.

Pretty decent setup, but why a high school with a literal monster as a bully? Seems like somebody made a real stretch just to use a present day school setting, then they kinda stuck with the early 21st century settings until they didn't, so there was no theme to any of it, beyond basically scaring them all. Think they could have done something a bit more involving with all that, and made for a more satisfying story.

Blumf

S03E04

Oof! That episode is a fair bit more on the nose than it would have been even a month or two ago.

There is potential with the CardassiansKrill, but they seem to have expanded their society in weird, nonsensical ways here. Why would an extremely uptight theocracy tolerate strip shows? Not convinced by the merchant class bit either, but at least that kinda works. Think it would have been better to focus on the fake news angle, have it be a fundamental part of their society, just the way things work. A society complete wedded to 'the word' taking anything written (or videoed) as gospel truth. The trick being not to fall for your own bullshit, like the Supreme Chancellor evidently did.

Mercer's surprise kid was on okay, if not totally original, twist. But, like pretty much all his experiences, will probably have next to zero baring on the character going forwards. They really need to sort that out.

Had to look up the Union President guy, there was something I recognised but couldn't pin. Turns out it's Babylon 5's very own Bruce Boxleitner!

Malcy

Very much enjoying this. Especially the last few.

This weeks though. I dunno. I was really into it. It might be my favourite episode up until the last 10-15 mins.

I just didn't agree with it. Maybe it's just how I'm feeling but I don't think Ed done the right thing.

And Gordon's attitude to it during the final scene. It just didn't seem to fit.

It's been a bit 50/50 for me but I was really really liking this one only to have it a bit ruined with how it ended.

Yeah not sure about this one. Brilliant  episode until the last part. Shame as I had accepted what seemed like the outcome and it seemed did right only for it to just be wiped.

Mister Six

Quote from: Malcy on May 13, 2022, 06:53:39 AMTrailer. Looks brilliant. June 2nd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G982GjpWZDU

Honest questions:

1- Is it not pretending to be a comedy any more? I got the impression that he had to crowbar the comedy in at the start because the network wanted it, but has it properly drained away except for the light character stuff in the trailer now?

2- Kind of snarky, I guess, but was it always lot like a game show set, especially the bridge? Makes everything look plasticky and odd.

Blumf

Quote from: Mister Six on July 09, 2022, 03:48:05 AMHonest questions:

1- Is it not pretending to be a comedy any more? I got the impression that he had to crowbar the comedy in at the start because the network wanted it, but has it properly drained away except for the light character stuff in the trailer now?

Pretty much, yeah. More jokey/playful than TNG, but nowhere near enough to class it as a comedy.

Quote2- Kind of snarky, I guess, but was it always lot like a game show set, especially the bridge? Makes everything look plasticky and odd.

This is one of my biggest problems with the show too. The colour is turned all the way up: The uniforms, the displays, and some of the scenes (like the Krill city). It all feels wrong, not even cartoonish, just gaudy and very fake. Real shame as the actual designs and production are overall pretty good (although I would have liked to see some LCARS level design work on the interfaces)

I mean, it's nice that it's not some grimdark grey or, heaven forbid, blue/orange grading, but just turn it down 10% or so.

Alberon

Quote from: Blumf on July 09, 2022, 06:38:44 PMPretty much, yeah. More jokey/playful than TNG, but nowhere near enough to class it as a comedy.

I've not got around to watching this season yet, but it sounds it's around the Stargate SG-1 level of humour now.

Which sounds about right for me, its style of comedy early on nearly killed the show.

Mister Six

Quote from: Blumf on July 09, 2022, 06:38:44 PMThis is one of my biggest problems with the show too. The colour is turned all the way up: The uniforms, the displays, and some of the scenes (like the Krill city). It all feels wrong, not even cartoonish, just gaudy and very fake. Real shame as the actual designs and production are overall pretty good (although I would have liked to see some LCARS level design work on the interfaces)

I mean, it's nice that it's not some grimdark grey or, heaven forbid, blue/orange grading, but just turn it down 10% or so.

Yeah, cartoony/stylised lighting can be fine, but this is just overblown and makes it look a bit fake and plasticky. Shame, because the exterior/CGI work is nicer, and the general designs are good.

Blumf

S03E05

Was a real slog for me. Literally, I paused it at what I felt was around the 50-60 min mark only to see it was just 25 minutes in.

It's awkward, as I'm in agreement with the overall plot, but it was done in such a shallow, liberal dream fantasy way that was really off-putting. Having Klyden, as the straw-man, being physically overpowered twice was just creepy. They had well over an hour to develop some nuance to the debate, but nope, sledgehammer to the choir.

The kid playing Topa did a good job, would be happy to see more of her.

Blumf

S03E06

Bloody hell, this season has been utter misery; suicide, body horror, torture, abandoned children, and now wiping out a family from existence.

Having said that, this episode is probably the best so far. Time travel stories can be iffy, but this one works very well. Was a really strong setup to how Gordon deals with being castaway in the wrong time, and especially good to see how hard it is to deal with the knowledge of his, and his family's, impending erasure. MacFarlane's Mercer still comes over as dangerously detached from real human emotions and empathy though. For crying out loud, Isaac shows more depth of character and engagement! Speaking of which, the Isaac/Burke side plot worked well as a lightener, but still managed to handle their ongoing story well (hope she never forgives and Isaac has to learn to deal with people hating you)

On the production side, the time travel effects were neat. The return trip leaves questions about what you could do with such an easy time jumping technique that, presumably, is available to every space faring civilisation. Maybe some good stories to mine there.

I would have put the transported sandwich back on the time pad, kept the original, made a proper paradox.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I'm not sure I really bought Gordon taking the story of his erased alternate life so nonchalantly - apologising for it, no less. Even if that version of him didn't experience it, surely it would be a bit disturbing to find out that his best friend would be willing to do that to him.

The episodes don't need to be so long and I'm in two minds about the humour being dialled down, but I'm generally enjoying this. I've not got around to Strange New Worlds, so this is the closest thing to a proper Star Trek show for me at the moment.

MacFarlane is a bit of a weak link, I agree. I think he's a good voice actor - not only doing a fairly wide range of distinct characters, but giving them a decent range of emotions too - but his physical acting here is so lifeless. Maybe he's going for stoical?

To be fair, J. Lee can be a bit wooden too. I can't tell if it was supposed to be comical understatement, future medicine, or just his acting that Lamarr barely seemed to react to multiple broken bones in the latest episode.