Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:35:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin

Started by Dog Botherer, June 07, 2020, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

I don't even think there was the novelty/shock element, it was just accepted that some people were trans. Sophie Wilson, Wendy Carlos, Caroline Cossey, Angela Morley - all trans women back in the 60s/70s/80s/90s and this was just something that happened and people got on with it.

Barry Admin

My memory is very different tbh. I just remember endless references to The Crying Game, and then you had all those Jerry Springer shows which again revolved around trans women being used for shock value.

dissolute ocelot

The old transphobia was classic male homosociality where men bond by ridiculing or attacking anything different (as well as mocking gay men, non-conforming men, or cis women, they targetted trans people). Now it's primarily women hating trans women. It's really hard to fathom why. You could say it's confusion about young people and the generation gap, but that's not really a full explanation. Some of it is grifting, and coming from the right it's culture warring, but maybe the closest thing is early 20th century antisemitism, just scapegoating.

Mister Six

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 14, 2022, 11:33:45 PMMy memory is very different tbh. I just remember endless references to The Crying Game, and then you had all those Jerry Springer shows which again revolved around trans women being used for shock value.

And Ace Ventura. And League of Gentlemen, Little Britain...

Retinend

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 14, 2022, 11:44:30 PMThe old transphobia was classic male homosociality where men bond by ridiculing or attacking anything different (as well as mocking gay men, non-conforming men, or cis women, they targetted trans people). Now it's primarily women hating trans women. It's really hard to fathom why.

It's a simple level answer, but maybe just because of the legacy of radical feminism on GC. That is, radical feminist books were meant to be "by women, for women" so to speak. GC, though more gender balanced, still has that primarily female appeal in its us-vs-them scare-mongering: "OUR changing rooms; THEIR penises".

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Mister Six on April 14, 2022, 11:45:27 PMAnd Ace Ventura. And League of Gentlemen, Little Britain...
Don't forget the whole point of 'There's something about Miriam' seemed to be just 'transphobia'.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

As I've said before, feminism as a philosophy and a movement has a history of transphobia, with plenty of important figures within the movement who once held or continue to hold transphobic views. To me, what's changed is that powerful conservatives have decided to use trans people as a way to start rolling back the rights now enjoyed by gay and lesbian folks, and so are amplifying the "reasonable concern" crowd all worried about safety and fairness (and aren't at all disgusted by trans people).

Dr Rock

In the past trans people were either used as comedy device, often very cruelly, or if it was a real life individual, most(?) people had a live and let live attitude, extending in some to sympathy for their situation (much like today, despite what terfs want you to believe). But very little understanding of what it is to be trans. But they were not seen as a danger.

In the UK that new trend is the result of people like Germaine Greer and radfems beginning the terf cult. But we also have far far more people wanting to understand and support trans folk, and there's much more trans awareness in general. That's my take anyways.

Buelligan

Quote from: king_tubby on April 14, 2022, 10:50:49 PMI don't even think there was the novelty/shock element, it was just accepted that some people were trans. Sophie Wilson, Wendy Carlos, Caroline Cossey, Angela Morley - all trans women back in the 60s/70s/80s/90s and this was just something that happened and people got on with it.

I think, at least for some, there was some nasty pushback way back.  April Ashley in her later years was a sort of unnoficial Queen of Hay on Wye but she had suffered quite badly when she was outed by the heroic British media in the early sixties.

lipsink

Haven't polls shown that the majority of cis women don't actually give a shit about trans women being in their toilet spaces?

I remember Shon Faye appeared on Loose Women recently and was treated so lovely it put a big smile on my face. I don't think she was asked once about toilets.

Mister Six

Going to continue the Lose Women chatter over in the new thread.

canadagoose

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on April 14, 2022, 11:44:30 PMThe old transphobia was classic male homosociality where men bond by ridiculing or attacking anything different (as well as mocking gay men, non-conforming men, or cis women, they targetted trans people). Now it's primarily women hating trans women. It's really hard to fathom why. You could say it's confusion about young people and the generation gap, but that's not really a full explanation. Some of it is grifting, and coming from the right it's culture warring, but maybe the closest thing is early 20th century antisemitism, just scapegoating.
This is the illusion they like to present, but it's still mostly men that are transphobic. I agree that it's a lot like antisemitism though, which is why it's interesting (and disappointing) to see quite a few anti-antisemitism campaigners being transphobic.

Paul Calf

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on April 14, 2022, 01:02:06 PMThat quote made me laugh for some reason

The last line of that article:

"Women are beautiful".

Headline:

ROWLING ALLY BRANDS MYRA HINDLEY AND ROSE WEST 'BEAUTIFUL'.