Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:44:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

I've never heard of a production that involved signing a ideological declaration before. Regardless of the cause, that seems a bit rum.

JamesTC

Quote from: Ferris on June 03, 2022, 06:20:12 PMI've never heard of a production that involved signing a ideological declaration before. Regardless of the cause, that seems a bit rum.

So out of character for Glinner, too.

FalknerHinton

So he will be getting his cast and crew from Stormfront (Prosecco or regular) then.

I'm sure Equity will be thrilled to hear that their members won't get work on this show (if it ever exists etc etc) unless they sign a political declaration. That's the sort of thing that could get Graham in some genuine legal bother, or lead to a humiliating climb down. Either way is good frankly.

retsuza

He can get Count Olaf's troupe to do it. Except for "The Henchperson of Indeterminate Gender", for obvious reasons.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: JamesTC on June 03, 2022, 06:14:17 PMJesus fucking christ. I haven't laughed this abruptly in a long time. This is an actual quote from his latest video:
Shocked to see him include Arthur Mathews and Neil Hannon in his list of betrayers.

He's taken the peels off.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 03, 2022, 06:26:47 PMHe's taken the peels off.

Glinner N-n-n-n-n-n-nineteen: The Peels Come Off.

(or possibly "Peel's"?]

Ferris

While he's been focusing on his musical going down the shitter, Wonder Woman has been captured!

Quote from: LA TimesLynda Carter settles the Pride Month debate: Wonder Woman is a queer and trans icon

Kelvin

Saying he's going to get people to sign that declaration seems like clear evidence of the whole thing being a massive grift on his audience - a transparent way to link the show even closer to the one issue they care about. His co-writer and the guy writing the music (for a musical) are no longer involved, in what universe do they think he's seriously going to make this?

wrec

Quote from: BennyHedgehog on June 03, 2022, 05:36:28 PMSeem's really distracted. He usually loves interviewing a confused old transphobe but seems a bit of a glum gus on this one.

The man has just lost a Twitter account for God's sake! Have some empathy!

Quote from: Ferris on June 03, 2022, 06:16:17 PMHe calls out Arthur Mathews and Neil Hannon by name, so presumably they are now on The List. A bold move.

FUCKING YES.

I didn't recognise the name but Irish people will know Paul Woodfull from Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly, The Joshua Trio etc.

Quote from: Ferris on June 03, 2022, 06:16:17 PMSaid this as a joke - lo, it came to pass.

You can skip the interview because their opinions are of no value, but the first and last few minutes are quite revealing.

He calls out Arthur Mathews and Neil Hannon by name, so presumably they are now on The List. A bold move.

Great top tip.

Calling those two out is absolutely huge, yes. Project is effectively shitcanned now isn't it. Only way out is him leaving the project whether voluntarily or otherwise, but the entire project is now so tainted by potassium that I simply can't see it being made. Him leaving would be conditional on him not actively sabotaging it, and I simply cannot see him honouring an NDA.

Ferris

Quote from: Kelvin on June 03, 2022, 06:38:12 PMSaying he's going to get people to sign that declaration seems like clear evidence of the whole thing being a massive grift on his audience. His co-writer, and the guy writing the music (for a musical) are no longer involved, in what universe do they think he's seriously going to make this?

My understanding is that they are both still involved, but don't want to make it with linehan's name attached (who would? Fair enough).

Meanwhile, he is refusing to walk away and issuing demands to make the lighting technicians and members of the costume department sign fringe ideological letters he's written. Everyone must sign!!

Currently, he has ownership so Hat Trick can't produce it without his say-so, and quietly buying him out and going ahead without him (probably the best solution all round) has been publicly spurned so they either make it with linehan's name attached and his bonkers demands (and watch it crash and burn), or don't make it at all because he won't let them. Edit: I suppose he could back down and take the money, but that's also laughably unlikely due to potassium levels.

My money is on "don't make it at all", especially now he's making youtube videos deriding the producer and a writer or two. Who'd want to work with him to get the live performances off the ground? I wouldn't, he seems unhinged.

FalknerHinton

If you want to know what a musical entirely written and produced by Bananas Linehan would look like, may I refer you to his previous work in the field, The IT Crowd series 2 episode 1 "The Work Outing".

But without all the subtlety and nuance of that episode.  (Sarcasm, obviously).

idunnosomename

Imagine applying to be an usher and sell choc ices and you're asked to sign a declaration against mutilating gay children.

To coin a phrase, cunt's gone bananas!

wrec

Consciously or otherwise, he's guaranteed that it can't happen, so won't distract him from banana duties, and it seems that the only value the project has to him is however he can use it in his crusade.

NeaX

He's just putting more obstacles in its path, because he hasn't written any of it yet (other than that cut Epstein joke and the spinning cardinals) and doesn't have any ideas, but can't admit it because that would be admitting he's not perfect.

QDRPHNC

No, it's never, ever, ever getting made. And the reason is because Graham can't write it because he's a hyperdistracted social media drama figure now, that's his job. And even if he could write it, he's so deep in the bowl that it would be the ravings of a banana-drenched lunatic, with jokes that could only be understood by the people who read his Substack.

And I mean, how badly do Hat Trick even want the hassle of a Father Ted musical? If they thought it was going to be a Book of Mormon type smash then sure, but this? A play based on a 25 year old sitcom with none of the core cast involved tainted by a divisive hate figure. They're not going to bend over backwards for him.

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 03, 2022, 06:51:42 PMImagine applying to be an usher and sell choc ices and you're asked to sign a declaration against mutilating gay children.

To coin a phrase, cunt's gone bananas!

We've been denied the spectacle of an entirely GC piece of musical theatre which, in fairness, could have been really very special.

dead-ced-dead

I always got the impression that Mathews was supportive of Glinner but had enough career sense not to talk openly about it. This was a nice surprise to have those suspicions dashed.

madhair60

Alberon

Mathews might be not the greatest trans ally in the world, but the outburst from Linehan is probably down to his unaccountable unwillingness to nail himself to a rapidly sinking ship. I mean, why wouldn't he want to do that?

Jollity

I have said before, but I feel that even if you agree with the basic ideas, the way some of these people (not just Linehan) are so violent about it and talk of nothing but genitals must surely end up being off-putting to some. Presumably those are the fair-weather friends who never really Believed in the first place. This is in no way cult-like.

Ferris

Yeah I suspect Hannon and Mathews were able to placate graham without really committing to anything because they wanted to get a musical off the ground.

Perhaps you even agree with him (off-air) and roll your eyes later if that's what it takes to get a project moving. Yes yes, sure mate I'll read that link later, definitely, ooh sounds terrible, but for now let's have a look at the latest draft... etc.

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 03, 2022, 03:36:40 PMOkay folks I've been going through the thread picking out the Glinner bits and summarising the timeline but I'm not quite finished and I have wrestling this evening, so if you could keep it to 101 pages and not go over, that'd be lovely.

HA! I think you may have jinxed it asking us to go slow

Alberon

It often seems to be the way that Linehan manages a season ender moment for the threads as they near page 100.

daf

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on June 03, 2022, 07:24:20 PMI always got the impression that Mathews was supportive of Glinner but had enough career sense not to talk openly about it. This was a nice surprise to have those suspicions dashed.

Yes, couldn't be more delighted about Hannon - good lad!