Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:58:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Group Hug - it's ok to feel like shit

Started by MojoJojo, November 12, 2020, 10:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

purlieu

Well it's definitely very much long Covid it seems, although my symptoms seem to be presenting closer to fibromyalgia than ME now, basically just getting muscle aches if I do too much, little in the way of fatigue. That said, I'm not really exerting myself as everything points towards as much rest as possible being the best chance towards recovery.
Given the whole jubilee thing, I mentioned to my parents that maybe they might consider not going to the pub this weekend as it'll be packed and catching it again will be the worst thing possible for my recovery. They have proceeded to ignore this and been to the pub twice now. Feel more than a little disappointed that they can't be bothered to make such a small sacrifice, if only for my peace of mind if nothing else. Mind you, it's been two months since the onset of my post-acute symptoms and my mum hasn't actually spoken to me once about it, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

purlieu

What a difference a couple of weeks make. While I'm not back to normal yet, I'm definitely recovering now. Overdid it a little yesterday, but my only symptoms this morning are muscle aches. Feels like I did a 10km run yesterday in my arms and legs, but no fatigue or other symptoms. I'd say I'm at least 50% back to normal. Just need to ease myself back into doing more exercise gradually, but I have a feeling that by the 12 week point where I can get a long Covid diagnosis my symptoms will be mild enough to probably not need one. This has obviously relieved my anxiety which has also helped easing my symptoms too.

Tell you what, it's an eye opener though. Having now experienced the symptoms of a debilitating disability, even if only for a few weeks, I'm immensely grateful for so many things in my life. It really alters your perspective. I'm hoping I come away a better person because of it.

Glebe

Delighted to hear it, keep up the good work mate.

Small Man Big Horse

Ditto what Glebe said, I'm really glad you're well on the road to recovery.

non capisco

Kankurette

purlieu

AliasTheCat

Finally got the 'vid after 2 1/2 years. Feels like a nasty head cold so far with inflamed sinuses and very sensitive skin but no cough or loss of taste and smell, at least yet. The real kick in the balls is that tomorrow's my 40th birthday and my partner had arranged some amazing things today and tomorrow that we've had to cancel. I feel stupidly guilty to have got it and spoiled all her hard work and very sorry for myself. Bah.

Kankurette

Bloody hell, of all the times it could happen to you. You poor thing.

purlieu

Sorry to hear that! One of the less reported symptoms of Covid is that it always seems to turn up at the worst possible time.

My mum has pneumonia, I went to visit her in hospital a couple of times last week but the whole process - half an hour car journey, ten minute walk across the hospital, sitting in a rigid plastic chair for a couple of hours - absolutely killed me and it feels like I've lost all the progress I've made in the last month. I'm slowly recovering that ground again, but I've lost a week so far and I'm still not quite ready to start my short daily walks again. I've also had to stop visiting, unless her condition worsens in some way. At least my dad's been heading over every day. My symptoms have shifted back towards fatigue away from muscle aches again, which isn't encouraging either. I feel like I should be supporting my parents by doing more for them right now, but can't really do anything.

On an uncovidy note, I pulled a filling out with floss last night and nowhere in town is accepting new NHS patients. Really not having the best week.

SpiderChrist

Stepfather-in-law had a fall on Friday morning. Ambulance picked him up at 9:30, he made it onto a ward at 2:30 the next morning, having spent the previous fuck-knows-how-many hours in an ambulance, then in a bay in A&E, then on a trolley in a corridor (he woke up there having been moved out of the A&E bay while asleep). He's 89 and lives in the one of the richest countries in the world.

It's fucking criminal, and politicians (spit) who bang on about the NHS being "the envy of the world" need a fucking slap.

purlieu

My mum's experience was the same last week, picked up by an ambulance at 9AM, eventually moved to the ward (in another hospital) at 4:30 the next morning.

Kankurette

I feel exactly like I did when I last had COVID but tested negative. Really awful stuffed up nose, sore throat, headache and I just want to crawl into bed. Will test again tomorrow as I'm supposed to be going to Ireland on Sunday for a gig.

Glebe

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Kankurette on June 28, 2022, 12:52:28 PMI feel exactly like I did when I last had COVID but tested negative. Really awful stuffed up nose, sore throat, headache and I just want to crawl into bed. Will test again tomorrow as I'm supposed to be going to Ireland on Sunday for a gig.

You don't think there's a pattern emerging here, do you?

Kankurette

What, that I'm a hypochondriac or something? I tested positive for COVID the first time but this time it was negative.

SpiderChrist

No, not at all. It's like many of my friends who are getting Covid after going to gigs, moaning that Covid is going to stop them from going to a gig.

Kankurette

Primavera was four weeks ago, if that's what you mean, and I last had COVID two weeks before that, and I've not been to any gigs since. Apparently you're OK for 90 days so I probably don't have it after all.

Last time I got COVID was after the CAB meet and nobody there had it, it's more likely I got it on the train from Leeds as it was rammed. Anyway, I'm not going anywhere this weekend as Einstürzende Neubauten have cancelled. One of them got COVID.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Kankurette on June 30, 2022, 02:33:29 PMPrimavera was four weeks ago, if that's what you mean, and I last had COVID two weeks before that, and I've not been to any gigs since. Apparently you're OK for 90 days so I probably don't have it after all.

Last time I got COVID was after the CAB meet and nobody there had it, it's more likely I got it on the train from Leeds as it was rammed. Anyway, I'm not going anywhere this weekend as Einstürzende Neubauten have cancelled. One of them got COVID.

I'm sorry if I've riled you, wasn't my intention.

Kankurette

Nah, I'm not angry, I'm just explaining how I got COVID in the first place. Is the 90 days' immunity thing actually true, anyone know?

lipsink

I've not been 100% mentally and it's been a real struggle recently with anxiety and paranoia. I constantly think people are talking about me and if my friends don't reply as frequently to me I imagine that they've heard something about me or are avoiding me. I sometimes feel like I'm the worst person in the world and no one wants to have anything to do with me. I know it's just because I haven't seen my friends for a bit because I'm in a relationship and I'm currently moving house and need to sort out getting my old flat sorted but when I don't see people for a while I just assume they hate me and I'm being excluded.

Kankurette

I know exactly how you feel, and it's shit. Two friends are at Rebellion and neither of them really talk to me anymore.

lipsink

Quote from: Kankurette on August 06, 2022, 12:59:40 PMI know exactly how you feel, and it's shit. Two friends are at Rebellion and neither of them really talk to me anymore.

Ah shit. I'm sorry to hear that. I feel the same cos I work in an industry too where I feel like I'm kinda stuck in a rut and not really getting anywhere .My friends friends who are progressing further than me have lost touch and I'm sorta thinking it may be cos they don't really wanna be associated with me anymore. Though again it might just be in my head. I just feel alone.

Glebe

Sorry about what you're going through lipsink, I used to get really paranoid when I was really isolated and my nerves were really bad, it's horrible. Have a chat with your doctor and maybe seek out counselling, it could really help. Best of luck with the move, hope things improve for ya.

lipsink

Quote from: Glebe on August 06, 2022, 02:41:48 PMSorry about what you're going through lipsink, I used to get really paranoid when I was really isolated and my nerves were really bad, it's horrible. Have a chat with your doctor and maybe seek out counselling, it could really help. Best of luck with the move, hope things improve for ya.

Thanks Glebe. I do have counselling and I'm on meds for depression but the anxiety and paranoia is something that has always been in the background but has become stronger probably due to lockdown. Things have settled a bit with moving so hopefully I'll be able to look after myself and be less busy and less isolated. I'm sorry to hear about your stuff and I hope you're much better now.

Glebe

Yeah it seems like the lockdown triggered things in people who had never before experienced real depression and anxiety in their lives. It just goes to show how even the most happy-go-lucky person can suffer mentally and emotionally under extreme conditions.

Kankurette

Quote from: Glebe on August 08, 2022, 12:22:32 AMYeah it seems like the lockdown triggered things in people who had never before experienced real depression and anxiety in their lives. It just goes to show how even the most happy-go-lucky person can suffer mentally and emotionally under extreme conditions.
Yep. My stepdad is one of them. Lockdown had a far worse effect on him than it did on my depressive ex-alkie mum.

Kankurette

Not exactly COVID-related, but illness-related and an explanation of why I'm not attending the Manchester demo tonight: I've been ill for two weeks with some kind of virus that's made the glands in my head and neck swell up. It started with tonsillitis and headaches/a stiff neck which were really bad when I woke up - moving my head hurt like hell. I stupidly went the gym last week and ended up feeling awful. Doctor gave me penicillin which did help my throat, but not the pain in my head and neck. It feels like I've been clubbed with a baseball bat.

The sore throat is coming back and I had very little sleep last night and woke up at 11:15, which is not good as it means less time to work, and handed in two jobs late - I got sent two short but urgent ones that had to be done today and I have another ongoing big job on top of that that's due for Thursday, and I clean forgot that a fourth job was due today. When I was working earlier my computer crashed and then restarted, and I lost it and burned my arm with a fag - I don't smoke, but it's a less bloody alternative to cutting. I'm just burned out and fed up and am going to try and get an appointment with a GP tomorrow if possible. Also, demos are a huge panic trigger. I'm not going to be of much help if I'm curled up in a ball screaming and crying. I'm not being a pretty maid all in a row or whatever. I'm just exhausted and in pain.