Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:22:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kim Noble's New Show At The Soho Theatre In September

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 06, 2022, 12:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Ron Superior

Very exciting! Should I be nervous about attending a Kim Noble show? Sounds pathetic but he seems to really like latching on to people and messing with them, but, yeah, I'm actually definitely going to go see this anyway

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ron Superior on July 06, 2022, 02:35:16 PMVery exciting! Should I be nervous about attending a Kim Noble show? Sounds pathetic but he seems to really like latching on to people and messing with them, but, yeah, I'm actually definitely going to go see this anyway

I would say you'd be fine as long as you're not in the first couple of rows, and even then if you didn't want to participate I'm sure you could just not respond. I got a bit carried away and did get tickets for the front row, which I slight regret now, but eh, it's not like he mauls people, the worst I've seen is someone having to spend the show with a bucket on their head, and, er, a woman was sent out half way through, though she did at least get a microwave oven for her troubles (and presumably a free ticket for another night from the Soho Theatre, though I don't know that for sure).

Memorex MP3

Cheers! Grabbed a ticket for the first night; usually get two and then find someone to bring along but I figure it's not really worth the risk/effort in this case

Timothy

During his previous show, when we saw it in the Netherlands, he asked people in the front row (and some other rows) if they wanted to participate before the show started. If someone said no he didn't bother them during the show.

Ron Superior

Haha, thanks for the info, I'm feeling reassured! In interviews he always sounds like such a sweetheart, it's mad some of the stuff he does for his shows, including his incredible podcast. Is he the closest thing we've got to Nathan Fielder over here?

lauraxsynthesis

Small Man Big Horse

Well I'll be there on the 17th of September if anyone does want to meet up.

lestergunn

Not heard of him before and booked based on what's been said above. Thanks all. Second row.

Lost Oliver

Cannot wait! Thanks for the heads up. Have also booked tickets for the 17th SMBH.

Brundle-Fly

His ex-comedy partner Stuart Silver has gone a bit quiet of late. Another interesting character; although I distinctly remember Noble & Silver were generally reviled twenty years ago by the comedy elitists that roamed roughshod over the forums back then.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lost Oliver on July 14, 2022, 08:20:53 AMCannot wait! Thanks for the heads up. Have also booked tickets for the 17th SMBH.

Ah, excellent, if you can it'd be great to meet up beforehand and have a catch up.

Lost Oliver

105%. Which means I could backtrack 5% and still be 100% behind the idea.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 14, 2022, 09:50:50 AMHis ex-comedy partner Stuart Silver has gone a bit quiet of late. Another interesting character.
I have most of their TV series (and the earlier one off special) if anyone is interested. Some brilliant ideas and bits.

lauraxsynthesis

I'm going on the 15th if anyone's up for a meetup that night

prwc

Thanks for the tip off, I've booked the 17th too.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: prwc on August 05, 2022, 03:46:56 PMThanks for the tip off, I've booked the 17th too.

Myself and Lost Oliver are definitely going to meet up beforehand, and former Cabber DJ One Record will also be there, so it'd be great if you fancied joining us (and anyone else who is going on the 17th as well, of course).

Memorex MP3

Thought this was great but I'd probably need to see more of his shows to know if it stood out from the others in any big way. One bit about his dad was way more harrowing to me that I think it was meant to be in the show, or maybe just the bit that followed it up doesn't land correctly.

Only one walkout that I observed, which is stunning.

Think there was only one noticeable flub. Show overall flowed very well I thought

lauraxsynthesis

Could have done with out it myself. I wouldn't have booked it if the content warnings were on the website instead of just outside the entrance to the theatre. I'm guessing it's too on edge for them to really put out there how fucked up it is. The biggest screams of the night were BIG SPOILERS AHEAD
Spoiler alert
when he and his mother snogged
[close]
but the
Spoiler alert
necro bestiality
[close]
- jesus. Just knowing there was
Spoiler alert
taxidermy
[close]
would have been enough for me not to get a ticket. Thanks for the nightmares, Kim! I feel like as an audience we really went through something together.

None of the above is a joke btw :(

Memorex MP3

All of the above seemed fairly in line with what I've heard about his previous shows. Outside of doing horrible things to the audience I was kind of prepared for absolutely anything tbh.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 05, 2022, 11:23:17 PMMyself and Lost Oliver are definitely going to meet up beforehand, and former Cabber DJ One Record will also be there, so it'd be great if you fancied joining us (and anyone else who is going on the 17th as well, of course).

Where's good to meet SMBH? I should be free from like 6. Can't wait!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lost Oliver on September 16, 2022, 08:22:38 AMWhere's good to meet SMBH? I should be free from like 6. Can't wait!

I'm going to be at the Soho Theatre from 6pm, and hopefully it shouldn't be too busy at that time. And yeah, I'm avoiding the reviews / responses here as I want to go in cold, but hope it's as special as his other two shows.

Tokyo van Ramming

I booked for Monday and it's been bloody postponed hasn't it

Memorex MP3

^ have many of the people here seen his other two shows? I know there's a bootleg of one of them but I never got around to it. I'm extremely curious to hear how that one compares to the other two

He's announced a bunch of extra dates in March, I'm cautiously recommending it to a few people at the moment.

edwardfog

I'm in the same boat as Memorex. Saw him for the first time last night and am interested to see how it stacks up for a battleworn Noblehead. I really loved it - came out feeling extremely energised. He makes all other comedians and artists look like cowards.

Beyond the transgression and the creativity and the integrity, I sometimes find his core content a little too corny to be profound. I also think he uses way too many prank phonecalls that only make sense within the show's narrative e.g. (light spoilers)

Spoiler alert
Asking a funeral home to do a funeral for a fox
[close]

and don't have any in-call comedic or satirical payoff, so you've just got the dupe on audio going "I'm sorry, I don't understand".

Both issues that were more prevalent in the podcast, and didn't stop me from highly enjoying the show.

Lost Oliver

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 16, 2022, 10:05:36 AMI'm going to be at the Soho Theatre from 6pm, and hopefully it shouldn't be too busy at that time. And yeah, I'm avoiding the reviews / responses here as I want to go in cold, but hope it's as special as his other two shows.

Same, don't want to know a thing beforehand. See you there at 6ish tomorrow.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lost Oliver on September 16, 2022, 11:54:03 AMSame, don't want to know a thing beforehand. See you there at 6ish tomorrow.

Cool, I'll see you then!

Small Man Big Horse

I know a couple of Cabbers are coming tonight, so if you spot an overweight man in his late forties wearing a Bojack Horseman t-shirt (albeit with Princess Carolina and Vincent Adultman on it), glasses and blue jeans that'll be me*, so do feel free to join us.

Edit: Also, re the bootleg, I do have the video version of You Are Not Alone, and if anyone wants to download it just send me a pm.

*Or my doppleganger, who has been seen in Soho before, though not wearing the same clothes. Yet.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm not quite sure how to sum up my reactions to the show, and it's not normally I have a problem with at all. I guess I feel the need to put in a whole load of caveats, things like compared to 99% of comedy the man is at the top of his game (or playing a completely different game for that matter), that in last night's show there were things that I loved enormously, and I think 90% of it was either absolutely fascinating, funny or thoughtful, but there is about 10% that I had minor issues with.

Compared to the other two shows I did feel like this was a little less affecting, but maybe that's a good thing? There were aspects of those shows where I had real concerns for Kim and his mental health, and there were parts of the shows that were raw and brutal. Whereas this felt more polished, more of a performance art piece, and while he still suffers from depression from this show at least I didn't feel like he's in the kind of place where I fear for his life, or if he is he hides it well. That's something of course that would never be a concern for most performers, but because of Kim Noble Must Die I've always worried about him in a strange way.

The only other minor issues I had were personal ones - firstly I stupidly booked tickets for the front row, this is something I often do thanks to my shitty arthritic knee, but once I did I wondered if I'd made a terrible mistake, and did feel a little nervous during the first ten or so minutes (especially when myself and DJ One Record's faces were on screen at the beginning). Secondly, and again this is a personal thing,
Spoiler alert
but some of the footage with the dead animals didn't sit well with me, especially the murder of the squirrel (not by Kim, I should stress) but I had to look away at that part.

Okay, that's the 10% that I had issues with over, and the rest I loved a huge amount. I think going in an even more surreal direction is a fantastic move, having the squirrel perform parts of the show, seeing his cleaning employer in the microwave, putting the maggot on it's only little stage, all of that I found fascinating and often very funny. I really enjoyed the hidden camera elements, especially when it came to him living in a hole and the baby foxes emerging from it, but also the quite mad things like like the testicular fox detection device, the part where he built himself a living space and spent two weeks on a tree (though I question the reality of the piece and whether it was two full weeks, I don't doubt it was at least a couple of the days), and his attempts to bond with people at the insurance company.
[close]
The animations and short films were often hilarious, and, well, I feel like I've barely touched upon what takes place in the show because it's such a dense and layered hour, but in general I love the way his mind works.

Right, to end this rambling, eh, I guess it was the weakest of the three, but it still had many moments of brilliance, and I'll definitely see whatever he does next. And my insane mind that makes me rate things would give it a 4.25/5, but that's only comparing it to his level of comedy, and the fact that the other shows were both 5/5

Memorex MP3

Thanks for the review ^. Was there any bits where it seems like he clearly evolved his style or have all three shows had very similar formats? I know Noble & Silver was pretty varied in execution (haven't watched it in about 15 years, mind) but I was a bit surprised how well put together the technical side of this show seemed.

Looks like it got generally quite good reviews. Can't really think of any reason to go to it again but I've recommended it to a few people.