Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:34:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Two Ronnies Star Wars parody musical number.

Started by Glebe, July 17, 2022, 09:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Captain Z

May the fer-fer-fer-fork handles be with you

Captain Z

3:00 in

"surely this can't go on much longer. Oh, not even halfway through are we?"

Glebe

non capisco

Interminable fare but I like how the approximation of the Star Wars theme at the start is basically just the melody to 'Born Free'.   

Glebe

Quote from: non capisco on July 17, 2022, 09:51:29 PMInterminable fare but I like how the approximation of the Star Wars theme at the start is basically just the melody to 'Born Free'.

Heh!

Glebe

*BLACKFACE/DODGY ACCENT ALERT*

The Two Ron's rap!

Can't find their Grease musical number. You'll have to make do with Syd & Eddie's version (at approx 18mins):

1991. 1991.

Ignatius_S

Bob Hope parodied it first and got one of the stars (no pun intended) involved. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREvBbi6WL0

Dancing stormtroopers may have been involved in another segment.

Video Game Fan 2000

I'd heard about the Star Wars thing but never seen it. It's extraordinary.

But its the Pink Rupee that fascinates me. Great example of two comedic wrongs failing to make even the slightest right. It's like an intern was tasked with carrying the jars containing the official BBC racism upstairs but he dropped them, they smashed and all the racism got mixed up on the floor, so they had to use it up all at once. Why does Ron C do the wide eye, lean back thing he usually does for camp characters? Why is the big fella moving like CP30?

I really can't bring myself to hate Two Ronnies music numbers as terrible as they are because of how much I liked them as a little kid. Exception for the Boy George one and the Pink Rupee.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 18, 2022, 06:09:36 PMBob Hope parodied it first and got one of the stars (no pun intended)

Despite your best efforts I'm afraid a pun did creep in.  Can you spot it?

All the backing dancers were so choreographed.  It reminds me of when Vic Reeves got slated by Barker when he came on as one of a number of dancers on something and just larked about with any sort of coordination.  Barker thought it was really unprofessional.

idunnosomename

imagine as a kid you'd get so excited "OH WOW ITS DARTH VADER STAR WARS YEAAHH!!! THATS BESPIN WHERE HE DUELS IN THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!!" and then you get six fucking minutes of unfunny patter songs about robot mother in laws.

he says "low bot" at one point which I like to think is a reference to the Bald robot bloke Lando has.

Glebe

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 18, 2022, 06:09:36 PMBob Hope parodied it first and got one of the stars (no pun intended) involved. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AREvBbi6WL0

Dancing stormtroopers may have been involved in another segment.

Haha, cheers for that Ignatius! Cheery stuff, cheesy jokes, plenty of corpsing and You-Know-Who!

Just disappointed that Hope doesn't say "Say fellas..." at any point. Maybe he misread the cue cards.

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 18, 2022, 07:04:41 PMhe says "low bot" at one point which I like to think is a reference to the Bald robot bloke Lando has.

"This sketch is getting worse all the time!"

Glebe

Then of course there was The Muppets SW episode with Hamill and co.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 18, 2022, 06:46:47 PMAll the backing dancers were so choreographed.  It reminds me of when Vic Reeves got slated by Barker when he came on as one of a number of dancers on something and just larked about with any sort of coordination.  Barker thought it was really unprofessional.
it's really quite well made, the Luke, Leia and Vader look really bang-on, and the Ronnies' costumes are moderately funny I guess. but god singing shit about calculators to knick-nack-paddy-whack, awful. you can see where Two Ninnies (1982) came from. of course the series went on until the Christmas Day special in 1987.

Dr Who gag being shit gag at the end, ahhhh

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Glebe on July 18, 2022, 08:18:06 PMThen of course there was The Muppets SW episode with Hamill and co...

By strange coincidence, The Muppets were also guest stars in that Bob Hope special...

Ignatius_S

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 18, 2022, 09:06:00 PMit's really quite well made, the Luke, Leia and Vader look really bang-on, and the Ronnies' costumes are moderately funny I guess. but god singing shit about calculators to knick-nack-paddy-whack, awful. you can see where Two Ninnies (1982) came from. of course the series went on until the Christmas Day special in 1987.

Dr Who gag being shit gag at the end, ahhhh

The sketch was being Colin Pearson and the song by Peter Brewis, both also wrote for The Two Ronnies.

non capisco

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 18, 2022, 09:06:00 PMDr Who gag being shit gag at the end, ahhhh

When the paint tin "Daleks" rolled on I thought they were saying "WEAK AND BORING, WEAK AND BORING" and thought "Fair enough, bit of last minute meta self deprecation brutal in its accuracy" but then I realised they were saying "REDECORATE, REDECORATE" because they were paint tins and watching the whole thing til the end had been a waste of time after all.

The high watermark of the marching up and down on the spot spot spot section has to be that 1982 Top Of The Pops sketch with Ronnie Barker as Buster Bloodvessel and an "Adam & The Ants" parody that bears extremely scant musical relation to Adam Ant but weirdly sort of resembles an XTC album track 'Fly On The Wall' that was released a month later.

non capisco

Found it. TW: Yes, they both do Jingle Nonce OBE.

EDIT: The Pink Rupee rap, fuck me ragged. Makes The Krankies' "Chinesse sketch" look aggressively woke.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 18, 2022, 09:49:10 PMThe sketch was being Colin Pearson and the song by Peter Brewis, both also wrote for The Two Ronnies.
oh interesting. guess they were fed up of penning crap like this?

I like the classic era Ronnies and their patter songs (I guess these count as patter? each syllable is a note, that is, no multi-note melismata). "I'll run amok! Two crispy duck!" to Entry of the Gladiators always sticks in my head. but man this was bad
Quote from: non capisco on July 18, 2022, 10:09:24 PMWhen the paint tin "Daleks" rolled on I thought they were saying "WEAK AND BORING, WEAK AND BORING" and thought "Fair enough, bit of last minute meta self deprecation brutal in its accuracy" but then I realised they were saying "REDECORATE, REDECORATE" because they were paint tins and watching the whole thing til the end had been a waste of time after all.
pretty much exactly what I felt (although I just couldnt tell what they were saying at first), I thought the Captain Z post above was a quote at first: some meta about how shit and silly it all was would have lifted it a bit. alas.

Glebe

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 18, 2022, 07:04:41 PMrobot mother in laws.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 18, 2022, 07:58:57 PMhas science gone too far

They'll have to invent a Les Dawsonbot now.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 18, 2022, 09:42:48 PMBy strange coincidence, The Muppets were also guest stars in that Bob Hope special...

We're through the looking glass people!

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Glebe on July 18, 2022, 11:20:48 PMThey'll have to invent a Les Dawsonbot now.

The thing about Les Dawsonbot is that you have to be really well programmed to malfunction that badly

McDead

I'm going to have Pink Rupee in my head when I wake up, I just know it

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: McDead on July 19, 2022, 02:34:11 AMI'm going to have Pink Rupee in my head when I wake up, I just know it
Loads of Trojan records recommendations in the "what reggae?" thread, yet I've now developed Bad Habits. As an earworm, I mean.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: non capisco on July 18, 2022, 10:11:34 PMFound it.

8 minutes 34 seconds? Fuck that.

The Syd and Eddie Grease thing is a very weird stream of consciousness.

Fambo Number Mive

Such a loud cheer when Little and Large come out as New Kids on the Block. Not sure whom the other three people dancing with them are.

Replies From View

Replies From View