Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:47:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Death of Cunt

Started by Joe Oakes, July 17, 2022, 10:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Oakes

It had a bloody good run, but I've finally accepted that it's comedically dead.

Such a wonderfully blunt and robust word, it endured for decades through; wars, famine and Tim Westwood.

But thanks to the juggernaut combination of Ricky Gervais and Billy Butcher relentlessly besmirching it's legacy over the last few years, I just can't see a comeback for the poor blighter. Limmy's excellent recent Billy Butcher impressions have solidified my creeping feeling that it can now only be funny when used to mock someone misusing the word.

Maybe one of you comedy historians can pinpoint the exact day of death? Just please don't tell me that it died 8 years ago and that I've been using it in error ever since while everyone has been laughing behind my back. I really should have learnt my lesson with 'coloured'.

TLDR - Cunt was cool, now it's cringe.

Alberon

madhair60

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Joe Oakes on July 17, 2022, 10:46:42 PMJust please don't tell me that it died 8 years ago and that I've been using it in error ever since while everyone has been laughing behind my back.

I have bad news...

bgmnts

The use of cunt to actually refer to a woman's genitals genuinely makes every part of me cringe.

I do think it has great comedic power though. It will never be n worded to the same degree.

madhair60

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Alberon

Quote from: bgmnts on July 17, 2022, 11:24:20 PMThe use of cunt to actually refer to a woman's genitals genuinely makes every part of me cringe.

I do think it has great comedic power though. It will never be n worded to the same degree.

What if it was though? Women greeting each other with "Hey, cuntz!" and only women able to use the C-word.

bgmnts

Quote from: Alberon on July 17, 2022, 11:29:07 PMWhat if it was though? Women greeting each other with "Hey, cuntz!" and only women able to use the C-word.

Then I'll be consigned to the cancellation bin as a cunt racist.

JamesTC

RIP Cunt

EDIT: Sorry, posted in the wrong thread.

Video Game Fan 2000

jokes on you ive been using it ironically the whole time

Harry Badger

this bloke came up to me

BritishHobo

Quote from: Alberon on July 17, 2022, 11:29:07 PMWhat if it was though? Women greeting each other with "Hey, cuntz!" and only women able to use the C-word.

I have to say I would have a great time reading the online discourse if we all agreed that women are reclaiming 'cunt', and men can't say it anymore.

The Mollusk

Australians using it as a term of endearment is still funny to me

SpiderChrist

You can take my cunt when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

dead-ced-dead

JaDanketies

Quote from: bgmnts on July 17, 2022, 11:24:20 PMThe use of cunt to actually refer to a woman's genitals genuinely makes every part of me cringe.

Cunt can refer to literally everything, except for a woman's genitals. Maybe you could say it during sex but you'd need to have a 30-minute conversation beforehand to make sure that doing so didn't ruin everyone's mood and immediately end the relationship.

Mobbd

Even your cunt?

Enzo

Best use of Cunt in a sitcom was in Detectorists

Stonefish

Twilkes

I did enjoy Flo and Joan's request to 'ball up 2020 and cunt it in the bin', largely because cunt as a verb is quite a rarity.

And also the Scottish receptionist who, on my second day in the office, said 'Listen, I'll tell you now, I've no slept, so I'm in a right cunty mood.'

JaDanketies

I like when they call someone a "cunting cunting cunt" in Jerry Springer the Opera

up_the_hampipe

They do need to sort out Karl Urban's accent on The Boys, as well as the overuse in the writing. But cunt will never die!

checkoutgirl

Quote from: bgmnts on July 17, 2022, 11:24:20 PMIt will never be n worded to the same degree.

It's been N worded in America for ages though, hasn't it? In certain parts of London it's said with the same regularity as motherfucker is in Brooklyn. Depends where you are.

It could still shock/annoy your mother.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Twilkes on July 20, 2022, 12:23:54 PMI did enjoy Flo and Joan's request to 'ball up 2020 and cunt it in the bin', largely because cunt as a verb is quite a rarity.

Must be a London thing. Didn't that guy who directs Danny Dyer in all those films say "1976, Taxi Driver came out. Got cunted.".

daf

I always prefer substitutes to proper swears eg :

- That loudmouth cockney Tugboat
- Anyone seen my Fudgeknocking glasses?
- You sexy Mother-Hubbard

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 20, 2022, 02:01:10 PMIt's been N worded in America for ages though, hasn't it?

Not really. The idea that it's so much more shocking over there sounds like one of those British fantasies to make us seem more hardcore. Sure, there's all that religious decency stuff that has impacted broadcasting standards and whatnot, but I doubt people generally care much more than other swear words. It just hasn't travelled as well, but it's still used in areas like NY/Boston. I think it depends on how well it sounds with your accent.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Enzo on July 19, 2022, 12:28:34 AMBest use of Cunt in a sitcom was in Detectorists

And in a gangster film.

Cuellar

Who the fuck is 'Billy Butcher'

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 20, 2022, 02:40:51 PMThe idea that it's so much more shocking over there sounds like one of those British fantasies to make us seem more hardcore.
I thought it was less about us plucky Brits being more comfortable with swearing, but that the implied misogyny of it is more heavily emphasised in the USA. Such that pretty much any use of it (by a man) is considered an attack on women.

"But without batting an eyelid, a man will talk about his dick, or his rod, or his Johnson."