Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:32:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robhug

I have a problem with kids meeting in service station car parks to go to a secret rave. You're getting in people's way. Service stations provide essential haven for the weary traveller. Whether it's families that need to get out and stretch their legs or get a snack, mum wants a magazine, busy salesmen rushing in to grab a coffee or just another lorry driver popping into the toilets for a wank, service stations are a vital cog in our transport infrastructure.

iamcoop

Quote from: robhug on June 29, 2022, 04:13:27 PMI have a problem with kids meeting in service station car parks to go to a secret rave. You're getting in people's way. Service stations provide essential haven for the weary traveller. Whether it's families that need to get out and stretch their legs or get a snack, mum wants a magazine, busy salesmen rushing in to grab a coffee or just another lorry driver popping into the toilets for a wank, service stations are a vital cog in our transport infrastructure.

Coogan's delivery is fantastic here. The way he articulates the 'wank' line is so good.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Menu on June 02, 2022, 10:40:31 PM
Quote from: McDead on June 02, 2022, 10:36:51 PMIf you say Apache in a certain way, it sounds like "a pear tree". A partridge in Apache/pear tree. It seems like the sort of homonymic humour Coogan/Partridge would like.
Never occurred to me. Would love to hear Alan explain that. I just thought he chose it cos it started with AP.

Could it be because Michael's murder-suicide Apache helicopter fantasy had made such a haunting impression on Alan, outdoing his own wish to have a helicopter just so he could swoop low and scare a donkey, or a family on a biking holiday?

TheQueensboroBridge

Didn't know where else to post this so apologies if not quite on topic but anyway...

Can anyone remember when Alan says something about The Corrs and remarks on the fact they have a female drummer and says something like 'If you shut your eyes it could be a man'?

Its not even a particularly great line but it's been annoying me that I can't remember what episode it's from. And Google isn't helping. I know there's the bit in IAP where he's in the studio and back announces a Corrs song by saying about how they're three little birds he'd like to prey upon. And then obviously the bit in The Office. Was it even Alan Partridge at all?

kalowski

Alan: All this wine nonsense! You get all these wine people don't you? You know, wine this, wine that!. Let's have a bit of red; let's have a bit of white! Oooh that's a snazzy bouquet! Oooh this smells of, I don't know, basil! Sometimes you just want to say 'sod all this wine just give me a pint of mineral water'.
Tony: I don't think wine is an elitist thing anymore. You can get good wine in Tesco's now. I'd love to make a genuinely popular wine programme.
Alan: Can I just shock you? I like wine! Despite what I just said earlier. At any one time I have nine bottles of wine in my house.
Tony: Really?
Alan: Interesting Fact.
Tony: It's my weakness I'm afraid, I've got a cellar.
Alan: So have I. There's no wine in it, you know. Couple of bikes, some smokeless fuel, and an old bag of cement. Gone hard.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: TheQueensboroBridge on July 15, 2022, 06:48:15 PMDidn't know where else to post this so apologies if not quite on topic but anyway...

Can anyone remember when Alan says something about The Corrs and remarks on the fact they have a female drummer and says something like 'If you shut your eyes it could be a man'?

Its not even a particularly great line but it's been annoying me that I can't remember what episode it's from. And Google isn't helping. I know there's the bit in IAP where he's in the studio and back announces a Corrs song by saying about how they're three little birds he'd like to prey upon. And then obviously the bit in The Office. Was it even Alan Partridge at all?

He says that line in an ep of KMKY to the band singing Blood Bath.

McDead

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on June 29, 2022, 10:07:43 PMNever occurred to me. Would love to hear Alan explain that. I just thought he chose it cos it started with AP.

Could it be because Michael's murder-suicide Apache helicopter fantasy had made such a haunting impression on Alan, outdoing his own wish to have a helicopter just so he could swoop low and scare a donkey, or a family on a biking holiday?

Maybe, but as explanations go I'm sticking with "a partridge in Apache"

QDRPHNC

I assumed he just liked Apache because it sounded masculine and militaristic.

QDRPHNC

petril

Apache Communications exists before we hear Michael's story, but I like to think that when we hear the story, it's not the first time that conversation has happened. it's a recurring bit of awkward bonding they've developed out of their loneliness over the first series

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: petril on July 16, 2022, 01:58:33 AMApache Communications exists before we hear Michael's story, but I like to think that when we hear the story, it's not the first time that conversation has happened. it's a recurring bit of awkward bonding they've developed out of their loneliness over the first series

You're probably right. My memory was that Pear Tree was dissolved in the first series, and Apache was developed in the second while he was in the static caravan that had telescopic dampers. (I say telescopic dampers, I mean rigid stays.) Michael's Apache story was early in series 2, but checking now it seems to be around the same time as the Dante Fires presentation which was under the aegis of Apache, so maybe it's just coincidence alright we get the point no one's reading this bit anyway why don't you try getting to the point sooner

Yussef Dent

He also had a company called Tomahawk Leisure which he closed down because it was "inoperable."

McDead

Quote from: Yussef Dent on July 17, 2022, 11:03:12 PMHe also had a company called Tomahawk Leisure which he closed down because it was "inoperable."

Nevertheless

The Lurker

The whole scene is absolute gold but this bit had me cackling when I just rewatched it

Charlotte Fraser: Hanging really is brutal and barbaric and the hallmark of an uncivilised society.

Alan Partridge: OK, right, what about lethal injection? Gas chamber? Electric chair? You know? We're spoiled for choice.

Charlotte Fraser: That's not really the point, Alan. I mean, all the indications...

Alan Partridge: Firing squad?

Lieutenant Colonel Kojak Slaphead III: The head slap?

Alan Partridge: The head slap... No, don't please, please, don't, um, please don't do that Lieutenant Colonel Kojak Slaphead III.

chip

I love how he wants to just quickly brush him off, but starts with 'Lieutenant' so he realises he has to awkwardly commit to stumbling over his full, ridiculous title.

kalowski

QuoteWe steadfastly say 'no' to the homogenisation of our high streets. Indeed, we have a very successful campaign group that fights tooth and nail (and plenty of other body parts besides) to keep Norwich more or less free of faceless multinational brands. For those interested in getting involved, meetings take place every Friday morning in the Starbucks on St Stephens Street.

Des Wigwam

Is the DJ in KMKYWAP supposed to be Chris Evans in part? I mean specifically rather an avatar of the 90s lad lot. I am thinking of the reference to the child the DJ never sees.

The help me out bit here is: I can't place a bit where Alan says something like "he's got a son. Never sees him", I think. I know there's a bit where they bring the son on but the guest isn't allowed contact with him. I am not sure if I'm conflating bits together from the radio version, the TV version, and an unrelated bit from I, Partridge.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Des Wigwam on July 21, 2022, 10:37:04 AMThe help me out bit here is: I can't place a bit where Alan says something like "he's got a son. Never sees him", I think. I know there's a bit where they bring the son on but the guest isn't allowed contact with him. I am not sure if I'm conflating bits together from the radio version, the TV version, and an unrelated bit from I, Partridge.

I think that's from IAP2, when he's talking about the bloke who drew a chalk cock on his back at school.

robhug

Quote from: Des Wigwam on July 21, 2022, 10:37:04 AMIs the DJ in KMKYWAP supposed to be Chris Evans in part? I mean specifically rather an avatar of the 90s lad lot. I am thinking of the reference to the child the DJ never sees.

The help me out bit here is: I can't place a bit where Alan says something like "he's got a son. Never sees him", I think. I know there's a bit where they bring the son on but the guest isn't allowed contact with him. I am not sure if I'm conflating bits together from the radio version, the TV version, and an unrelated bit from I, Partridge.

Your thinking of Keith Hunt, the new host of this is your life. Alan gets Keith's son on but Keith isnt allowed too close to him "Stay there, you know the law" and subsequently Alan delights in Keith forgetting its his only son's birthday.

Probably is a bit of Chris Evans in there - he does a lot of charity work and one of the main reasons is its tax deductible.

The kids not wanting to see them could apply to Dave Clifton, Alan himself and as already pointed out the bastard who got the lab assistant pregnant and also drew a detailed chalk cock on Alan's back, with hairs at the base and a dotted line emanating from the crown.

TheJam-Fest

I thought the original radio series was the greatest radio comedy ever and bears repeated listenings.
An oft-forgoten gem (in my opinion anyway)was a one-off radio 'mockumentary' called knowing knowing me knowing you,it was a look behind the scenes at peartree productions and there's some gold in there,one thing I particularly like is Armando Iannuci as a spoof of himself and his name is Mario Santini,which really makes me laugh for some reason,and Alan and his scriptwriter having a booze fueled late night writing session.

McDead

Quote from: TheJam-Fest on July 21, 2022, 07:52:05 PMI thought the original radio series was the greatest radio comedy ever and bears repeated listenings.
An oft-forgoten gem (in my opinion anyway)was a one-off radio 'mockumentary' called knowing knowing me knowing you,it was a look behind the scenes at peartree productions and there's some gold in there,one thing I particularly like is Armando Iannuci as a spoof of himself and his name is Mario Santini,which really makes me laugh for some reason,and Alan and his scriptwriter having a booze fueled late night writing session.

A favourite of mine as well. Patrick Marber plays a sort of proto Sidekick Simon having to sit in Alan's house while he has an ugly row with his wife. I think this might be the only point in Partridge canon where we hear Carol's voice (albeit very muffled iirc)

kalowski

Just because someone is disabled, it doesn't mean they can't be mean. Look at pirates. If they're not missing a leg, they're missing a hand or an eye or something. There's Oscar Pistorius, Davros from Doctor Who, Richard III had issues - It doesn't change anything...

TheQueensboroBridge

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 15, 2022, 07:33:44 PMHe says that line in an ep of KMKY to the band singing Blood Bath.

Thank you! Of course.

Bennett Brauer

Article in the Sunday Times yesterday about how compilation albums are often all you need that misses the point of the Partridge joke altogether.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on July 25, 2022, 04:18:45 PMArticle in the Sunday Times yesterday about how compilation albums are often all you need that misses the point of the Partridge joke altogether.

Exactly, he was actually talking about the album by their ex-drummer George Bestof.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 25, 2022, 04:28:51 PMExactly, he was actually talking about the album by their ex-drummer George Bestof.

He wasn't even the Best drummer in The Beatles!

Solid Jim

There are two moments from IAP1 that occupy my thoughts.

When Chris Feather dies, Alan says "oh no!" twice. The first utterance is jocular, playing along with a perceived joke; the second more stilted, with an unnatural emphasis on the 'oh'. In between, there is therefore a brief moment when he hangs on to the vain hope that Chris really is joking, but is inexplicably waiting for Alan to say "oh no" with the correct cadence before the joke can be over.

Moments after farmers drop a cow on Alan, Peter Baynham's character sees them on the bridge and exclaims: "Farmers!" What can this mean? Does he only now realise how these mysterious men could have obtained a dead cow? Or perhaps he recognises the men and can thus confirm their occupation? Perhaps it is simply a piece of heavy-handed exposition for the dull viewer. We may never know.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 21, 2022, 10:50:37 AMI think that's from IAP2, when he's talking about the bloke who drew a chalk cock on his back at school.
Quote from: robhug on July 21, 2022, 10:58:07 AMYour thinking of Keith Hunt, the new host of this is your life. Alan gets Keith's son on but Keith isnt allowed too close to him "Stay there, you know the law" and subsequently Alan delights in Keith forgetting its his only son's birthday.

Probably is a bit of Chris Evans in there - he does a lot of charity work and one of the main reasons is its tax deductible.

The kids not wanting to see them could apply to Dave Clifton, Alan himself and as already pointed out the bastard who got the lab assistant pregnant and also drew a detailed chalk cock on Alan's back, with hairs at the base and a dotted line emanating from the crown.

Thank you and thank you. Yes. I had conflated load together. I had also chucked in the guy who's the former photocopier repair man. I think he's the latest radio dj hot-stuff but it's a while since I saw it. I like the bit where he says about the magnet on the copier that's for holding paper clips and Alan seems impressed.

I will say that I read the "you know the law" bit just before I signed onto a meeting and had to go on mute while I chuckled it out. Been thinking of it on and off over the last few days. I think that's an excellent oft-forgotten bit.

I think I'd also made up the Chris Evans inspired bit after finding out that Evans used to do all that "kids are the best ikkle things" but had all that dispute about maintenance of his first child with a former partner.