Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:00:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the worst old comedy show on YouTube?

Started by Gurke and Hare, July 25, 2022, 09:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

It's Bobby Davro's TV Annnual 1988. 38 minutes of utter crap, packed full of blackface and homophobia that I've just sat through for some reason. Jesus.

phatfill

I've just noticed that curry and chips is on youtube in amazing quality for something that surely didn't get a DVD release. Sorry for no link but i have to draw a line somewhere

imitationleather

Queenie's Castle

A truly diabolical Diana Dors vehicle. I couldn't finish this episode. Even the audience sound like they're dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2B53psAirQ

neveragain

Quote from: phatfill on July 25, 2022, 10:01:55 PMI've just noticed that curry and chips is on youtube in amazing quality for something that surely didn't get a DVD release. Sorry for no link but i have to draw a line somewhere

It did get a Network DVD release.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 25, 2022, 09:48:47 PMIt's Bobby Davro's TV Annnual 1988. 38 minutes of utter crap, packed full of blackface and homophobia that I've just sat through for some reason. Jesus.

Didn't get past 2 minutes, so skipped to the writing credits.

Anyone?

poodlefaker

Quote from: imitationleather on July 25, 2022, 10:08:33 PMQueenie's Castle

A truly diabolical Diana Dors vehicle. I couldn't finish this episode. Even the audience sound like they're dead.

Written by Keith Waterhouse and Willis Hall, terrible. In a similar vein Not On Your Nellie with Hylda Baker. Christ.

Cold Meat Platter

Crazy now how an acceptable comedy act to put on prime time TV then was simply an impression of someone else's 'act' (basically LOLGAY), someone that was probably featured on a comedy or variety show on the same channel that same week.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 25, 2022, 10:17:10 PMDidn't get past 2 minutes, so skipped to the writing credits.

Anyone?

Jessica Martin deserves better. Not much better, but better.

Spudgun

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 25, 2022, 10:17:10 PMDidn't get past 2 minutes, so skipped to the writing credits.

Anyone?

Yep, all present and correct here:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0968726/fullcredits

And three out of the four here:

https://youtu.be/_ttcsDRfBPM?t=2953

Should we inform The Hague?

stonkers

Quote from: phatfill on July 25, 2022, 10:01:55 PMI've just noticed that curry and chips is on youtube in amazing quality for something that surely didn't get a DVD release. Sorry for no link but i have to draw a line somewhere

I've not even gotten past the titles and fucking hell

Brundle-Fly

The depressing thing about Bobby Davro is that he is clearly very talented, but has always been mired by low rent script writers and having the career aspirations of a Tory cunt.

phatfill

Quote from: stonkers on July 25, 2022, 10:48:09 PMI've not even gotten past the titles and fucking hell
i watched episode 1 because well ive heard but not seen a single second of this oddity.
Its strange and seems to me to be an ill judged in sickness clone made on the cheap for itv by what i assume was a burnt out Rolls-Royce owning Speight running on empty as a vehicle for Spike mainly to pretend to be an irish Pakistani to no ones amusement assisted by Eric Sykes trying to act as a buffer against every other character aside of an excellent Kenny Lynch being racist. I noted Kenny Lynchs character is called Kenny is that because he wanted full exposure or a form of racism i Don't understand ?

Bennett Brauer

If we're talking really bad impressions and 70s cringe, how about Henry McGee as Kenny Everett, followed by Benny Hill and his pilgarlic sidekick in blackface being teased by Hot Gossip-style ladies, one dressed as a naughty schoolgirl.
You can tell even Benny Hill is getting old and out of ideas when he's reduced to parodying another Thames Television comedy show.

jobotic

Quote from: phatfill on July 25, 2022, 11:41:13 PMi watched episode 1 because well ive heard but not seen a single second of this oddity.
Its strange and seems to me to be an ill judged in sickness clone made on the cheap for itv by what i assume was a burnt out Rolls-Royce owning Speight running on empty as a vehicle for Spike mainly to pretend to be an irish Pakistani to no ones amusement assisted by Eric Sykes trying to act as a buffer against every other character aside of an excellent Kenny Lynch being racist. I noted Kenny Lynchs character is called Kenny is that because he wanted full exposure or a form of racism i Don't understand ?

Quotegary1961
3 years ago
'He's got a black eye.'
Kenny Lynch ; 'I've got two .....' 
Fucking brilliant.

stonkers

Quote from: WikipediaSix years later, Milligan once again blacked up in the BBC series The Melting Pot. Only one episode was shown, and the other five were pulled.

phatfill

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on July 25, 2022, 11:43:34 PMIf we're talking really bad impressions and 70s cringe, how about Henry McGee as Kenny Everett, followed by Benny Hill and his pilgarlic sidekick in blackface being teased by Hot Gossip-style ladies, one dressed as a naughty schoolgirl.
You can tell even Benny Hill is getting old and out of ideas when he's reduced to parodying another Thames Television comedy show.

My go-to Benny Hill to horrify people with was the New York Special from the early 90s, where he raps and wears bondage gear, but this is worse. Thankfully whoever hosted it has taken it down so people can't pretend to be shocked that no one would make it nowadays.

Shocking that there were twenty years between the two.

FredNurke

The broadcast episode of The Melting Pot used to be on Youtube, although it doesn't seem to be there now. It's got a sort of 'innocents abroad', almost dreamlike quality in parts, and some of it is funny despite itself. Curry and Chips is worse on every front.

Didn't Milligan also play that character (browned up again) in In Sickness And In Health?

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: FredNurke on July 26, 2022, 02:32:51 AMDidn't Milligan also play that character (browned up again) in In Sickness And In Health?
The "P*ki-Paddy"?  Yes, and if I remember correctly, he ends up thumping Alf.

Jake Thingray

Actually, it was Till Death Us Do Part, in the 70's, that Milligan twice rehashed the character on, he did appear on In Sickness and in Health once but playing a Caucasian, although typically he told Eamonn Walker to go back where he came from at one point.

Surprising that neither GB News, Talk TV, or Jim Davidson's Ustreme have tried to licence The Melting Pot; said this before when it's been discussed on here, but all it needed was sentimental 'serious' poetry to represent all that was worst about Milligan.

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on July 25, 2022, 10:25:42 PMCrazy now how an acceptable comedy act to put on prime time TV then was simply an impression of someone else's 'act' (basically LOLGAY), someone that was probably featured on a comedy or variety show on the same channel that same week.

I think it is even worse than that. I don't think the other act would have been on telly ...

Duncan Norvelle is very much early 80s. A quick check of his imdb shows he's on his way over and out by 1988 (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1090800/).

Replies From View

Amazing quality because the video recording was never watched, I'll suspect.

Joe Qunt

Replies From View

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 25, 2022, 09:48:47 PMIt's Bobby Davro's TV Annnual 1988. 38 minutes of utter crap, packed full of blackface and homophobia that I've just sat through for some reason. Jesus.

I've skipped through the first 9 minutes.  HAHA MAX HEADROOM CAN BE IMITATED.  HAHA MICHAEL JACKSON IS GAY FOR SURE!  AN EASTENDERS PARODY OR SOMETHING.  THROUGH THE KEYHOLE

Bobby Davro does different voices but always the same squinty face for everyone.  Scrunching up his eyes and nose.

That's all I have to say, except that I got to the 11 minute mark and some kind of sneering/bitter Victoria Wood impression.  Then I turned it off.

Replies From View

Quote from: Joe Qunt on July 26, 2022, 09:18:43 AMWonder how many of these are on YouTube: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sitcoms_known_for_negative_reception

AfterMASH is surely contender for 'most memorable theme tune for a sitcom'?

Such an instant earworm of a melody!

Replies From View

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 25, 2022, 10:19:06 PMWritten by Keith Waterhouse and Willis Hall, terrible. In a similar vein Not On Your Nellie with Hylda Baker. Christ.

In the first few seconds, as she took the bus through London and waved at stock footage of the Queen, I was getting Hyacinth Bucket vibes - I thought this could at least be a passable character piece about a snooty woman with delusions of grandeur, but it quickly descended into a style akin to Mrs Brown's Boys and unironic racism from a character we clearly weren't supposed to be laughing at.  Horrible.  Didn't get beyond 2 minutes 40.

willbo

the Robert Lindsay ITV sitcom called "The Office", (from just before the Gervais one and now forgotton), is pretty ropey, some laughs in it tho

Bad Ambassador

I bought and still have Curry and Chips on DVD. You can see what it's going for, but it keep fumbling the message, while its also filtered through such an off-putting format. It's also not particularly funny.

Pink Gregory

I did a wee search for a Spike Milligan thread on here due to the Curry and Chips talk; found one from 2006 and...well, some interesting if not entirely predictable attitudes of the time combined with some more clear headed analysis that seems more contemporary.

Personally I don't get the impression that he really personally did any of his dodgier stuff out of spite or genuine hatred (then again most dodgy old comedy doesn't, with some exceptions) but yeah, woof. 

The only word I've heard on it is from some producer or other as a talking head on a clipshow somewhere, fairly straightforwardly implying that C&C goes largely unregarded because it wasn't ultimately very good, rather than the subject matter.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: imitationleather on July 25, 2022, 10:08:33 PMQueenie's Castle

Kathy Staff there playing the woman in the cake shop talking about one of Queenie's family urinating on the communal flowerbeds.