Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:33:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Unleashed - On Tour! Run for your life wokes!

Started by jobotic, July 26, 2022, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

I would go but I'm having GB News marathon that night, to challenge my prejudices. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

edwardfog

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 26, 2022, 03:23:24 PMReally disappointed to see Scott Capurro on there, along with a few others, but the real surprise was Sarah Callaghan, I don't think I've ever seen her live (unless it was as part of a mixed bill years ago) but I was sure she was considered to be one of the best comedians around and someone who wouldn't want any truck with Comedy Unleashed's reputation.

I don't know about one of the best around but she's certainly talented and deserves way better than this. Tony Law also sad to see up there. I think his thought processes are a lot more complex than those of whoever's organising this shitshow but I could see how people could get the wrong idea from Virtue Chamber Echo Bravo

jobotic

Magnum Valentino

Titania McGrath sounds like a superhero from a hamlet near two slightly larger hamlets. That's a very funny name.

Pink Gregory

I mean I can understand that performers might get frustrated with the sometimes narrow bounds of 'acceptability' in mainstream comedy; but anyone who doesn't see the obvious intent behind 'free-thinking x' when culture wars are looming so large in people's minds is being a bit foolish.

DrGreggles

I'm willing to give some of them the benefit of the doubt, given that they've just lost 2 years of income, but I don't think I'll be going.

jobotic

Isn't it Toby Young's comedy club?

I think they all know the score.

And some of them are on GB News comedy slot, if that still exists

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 26, 2022, 04:07:34 PMI don't know about cunt, he just seems like a cranky old man with cranky old opinions who's not particularly interested in changing them.

Cranky old man with a microphone who gets paid to be the cleverest/funniest guy in the room. I don't know if that necessarily makes it harder for them to change their opinions and go with the times but it hardly helps.

It does help to not be on Twitter, don't apologise but do change the act a bit.

edwardfog

Real shame that anyone's giving Nick Dixon work, a man whose career consists entirely of selling stories to the Express about how he can't get booked because he's a white man. I've seen him do a couple of truly terrible sets at Top Secret

Maybe second only to Mark Dolan who performed the single worst hour of comedy I've ever seen in 2018. Atmosphere in the room by the end was suicidal, people walking out every couple of minutes

edwardfog

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 26, 2022, 04:16:38 PMCranky old man with a microphone who gets paid to be the cleverest/funniest guy in the room. I don't know if that necessarily makes it harder for them to change their opinions and go with the times but it hardly helps.

They said on the Pappy's podcast that he calls everyone he meets "Cool Breeze" which is pretty funny

Pink Gregory

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 26, 2022, 04:16:38 PMCranky old man with a microphone who gets paid to be the cleverest/funniest guy in the room. I don't know if that necessarily makes it harder for them to change their opinions and go with the times but it hardly helps.

Not much to disagree with there.

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: jobotic on July 26, 2022, 04:15:47 PMIsn't it Toby Young's comedy club?

I think they all know the score.

And some of them are on GB News comedy slot, if that still exists
The website describes Lee Hurst as founder and owner of the venue. I believe Toby Young has played there, but I don't think he has any finanical interest there.

scarecrow

Isn't Lewis Schafer's act that he alienates his audiences and bombs terribly? I wonder if he'll get standing ovations at this thing.

The Culture Bunker

It's comedy so unleashed, the comedians don't even know they're doing it!

lipsink

Mary Bourke will have to trot out her joke-free TERF monologue one more time then.

McDead

What's Titania McGrath's show going to be? A laptop displaying a stream of tweets? I'm not paying to watch that shit

QDRPHNC

But wait a second, I'm confused. How can they go on tour if they're being cancelled?

lipsink

Hopefully someone says something about identifying as an attack helicopter. That joke's always good.

Moj

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 26, 2022, 04:07:34 PMI don't know about cunt, he just seems like a cranky old man with cranky old opinions who's not particularly interested in changing them.

I don't imagine this would have put a dent in his fairly successful regular touring of the theatre/arts centre circuit. 

There's cranky old man, and then there's travelling around on a cunt's carnival that started at Lee Hurst's comedy club, working the slot between Count Dankula and the man dressed as Hitler.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Moj on July 26, 2022, 05:45:28 PMThere's cranky old man, and then there's travelling around on a cunt's carnival that started at Lee Hurst's comedy club, working the slot between Count Dankula and the man dressed as Hitler.

Yeah...it's a bit of a statement, isnt it.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

yet another reason to avoid that place in Bath, terrific!

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on July 26, 2022, 05:56:17 PMyet another reason to avoid that place in Bath, terrific!

Wait, another? I just thought that that place was some bollocks restaurant...

Rich Uncle Skeleton

oh sorry, as far as I know there wasn't some awful incident that should put everyone off its just a bit of an arsehole magnet, same with the nightclub downstairs

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: edwardfog on July 26, 2022, 04:10:55 PMI don't know about one of the best around but she's certainly talented and deserves way better than this. Tony Law also sad to see up there. I think his thought processes are a lot more complex than those of whoever's organising this shitshow but I could see how people could get the wrong idea from Virtue Chamber Echo Bravo

I've just realised I was thinking of Sarah Keyworth rather than Callaghan, but having looked Callaghan up she does seem quite highly regarded, though there is video of her performing at the Backyard Comedy Club so I guess it hasn't come completely out of the blue.

Quote from: jobotic on July 26, 2022, 04:12:04 PMWho's Wilson? The seig heiling dog?

He was on the open mic circuit at the same time I was, and I certainly don't remember him doing anything that was offensive or unpleasant, though it's been almost eight years since I last saw him do stand up.

Quote from: edwardfog on July 26, 2022, 04:18:31 PMReal shame that anyone's giving Nick Dixon work, a man whose career consists entirely of selling stories to the Express about how he can't get booked because he's a white man. I've seen him do a couple of truly terrible sets at Top Secret

And he was someone else who I regularly met on the open mic circuit too. Damnit, if only I'd kept going and spouted offensive shit I could be a millionaire by now!

I do get what people have been saying about some of the comics just doing it for a payday after a couple of difficult years as well, but despite that I can't help feel really disappointed with some of them.

tribalfusion

I think the tour performs a valuable service by providing a quick and easy way to identify which comedians are trash.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on July 26, 2022, 06:10:34 PMoh sorry, as far as I know there wasn't some awful incident that should put everyone off its just a bit of an arsehole magnet, same with the nightclub downstairs

I'm glad I can now justify my completely unfounded assumption that it wasn't for me. Pretty funny that they couldn't get Komedia for this

Sebastian Cobb

https://jenives.substack.com/p/you-look-stupid

Sums it up for me Clive.

I saw a clip from Nick Dixon posted by the man himself on twitter of him 'DESTROYING' a heckler and it was beyond parody, it was a woman heckler and he responded with 'alright Karen' then laughed forever. The video then faded into the hook from Dre's Next Episode which tickled me way more than the content.

jobotic

So why isn't Lee Hurst on this? Too shit for his own club?

He seems to pop up on Facebook over the last few years begging people to come and see him at some shithole in Sittingbourne.

Captain Z

Carey Marx, wow. A few months ago I spent about an hour going through old comedy club/Fringe Festival listings trying to remember his name after half-remembering a few lines of a set I saw in 2010. It's interesting seeing his name pop up here because by all accounts he hadn't performed since around 2013 due to long term health conditions.

I can assure anyone that Leo Kearse and Comedy Unleashed are attracting all the wrong kinds of people, and they must be fairly aware of that. A music forum I read has a resident alt-right arsehole who was praising them despite living in a different country and clearly having little interest in comedy beyond anything that was "anti-woke".