Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:54:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Unleashed - On Tour! Run for your life wokes!

Started by jobotic, July 26, 2022, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

And another thing about airline food is...is this chicken breast trans?

is how I would imagine a Jerry Seinfeld set at Comedy Unleashed would go.

Mobius

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Mobius

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on July 26, 2022, 02:33:43 PMWhat's the story with Reginald D Hunter?

This review of one of his most recent appearances just popped up on Chortle

https://www.chortle.co.uk/review/2022/07/24/51226/reginald_d_hunter_at_latitude_2022

It mentions he does material on women ruining Hollywood franchises, and trans women in sport. So yeah I guess that's his thing now!

I used to quite like him when he'd appear on standup shows, a decade or so ago.

Cold Meat Platter

Bronzy

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on July 26, 2022, 11:14:25 PMOh you couldn't be more leashed

Boy, that Reginald D. Hunter fella reminds me of a young Byron Allen

Petey Pate

Quote from: Captain Z on July 26, 2022, 07:35:25 PMCarey Marx, wow. A few months ago I spent about an hour going through old comedy club/Fringe Festival listings trying to remember his name after half-remembering a few lines of a set I saw in 2010. It's interesting seeing his name pop up here because by all accounts he hadn't performed since around 2013 due to long term health conditions.

On the contrary, I saw him do a set at the Banana Cabaret in Balham in February 2020, not long before the coronavirus changed everything. He was definitely one of the funnier acts on that night, though a couple of the supporting comedians were fairly dismal. Can't recall anything offensive or anti-woke from Carey though.

Kankurette

Count Dankula is a comedian? Does his act solely consist of a puggo doing Nazi salutes?

Brundle-Fly

It's just a comedy tour bill, not the Nuremberg trials. Who seriously gives a shit?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 27, 2022, 01:24:23 AMIt's just a comedy tour bill, not the Nuremberg trials. Who seriously gives a shit?
A forum of comedy fans?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 27, 2022, 01:24:23 AMIt's just a comedy tour bill, not the Nuremberg trials.

Well, you say that but I found this fella a bit of a trial to watch.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 27, 2022, 01:47:04 AMA forum of comedy fans?

Given. But I need to see the entire retinue before deciding they all have cloven hooves.

But yeah, generally ghastliness. 

Rev+

Quote from: McDead on July 26, 2022, 05:01:38 PMWhat's Titania McGrath's show going to be? A laptop displaying a stream of tweets? I'm not paying to watch that shit

It's been done before:  she's played by Alice Marshall (no idea, but a stand-up apparently), delivering a script by yon knobhead.  I'd be interested in seeing what might happen if there's heckling, or something else to make her go off-script, but the whole point of this tour is that they're among like-minded people who wouldn't dream of such a thing.

ajsmith2

Said it before, but I'd love to see Stewart Lee play CU and film it as his next special.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Kankurette on July 27, 2022, 12:57:43 AMCount Dankula is a comedian? Does his act solely consist of a puggo doing Nazi salutes?

Not really, but he got a few CU gigs on the back of the furore (I believe he's only doing the local Glasgow date on this tour). You can see him getting approached by Andrew Doyle to do his first CU gig and the results somewhere in this BBC doc from a few years ago. I actually find Dankula kinda likeable as a personality (definitely significantly less swivel eyed deranged than most of his peers) but his set in 2019 appeared to be a PowerPoint presentation saying Corbyn's Labour was Literally Stalin's Russia. Looked utter shite.

https://youtu.be/zu7NSaaciLo

idunnosomename

Andrew Doyle's act consists of him scowling while he talks about the STUPID WOKE sexy STUDENTS he had teach at Oxford who didnt laugh at his jokes

WELL LOOK AT ME NOW GIRLS!!! IM A COMEDIAN!!!! LOOK HOW MANY TWITTER FOLLOWERS I HAVE!!!

frajer

Looks like they've accidentally used his passport photo for his stand-up poster.

jobotic

He's got Brendan O'Niell's forehead. What is it with these people?

phantom_power

All those free thinkers with the same fucking opinions

jobotic

I do get cheered up by imagining the plums attending these gigs pretending to each other and themselves that they find any of this funny.

Joe Qunt

sevendaughters

Frank Sanazi does sound like something TMWRNJ would have had on their Angus Deayton's History of Alternative Comedy section, now a middle-class former member of the SDP. Actually there was one, Hitler as a transvestite, Simon Fierce, 'ich bin ein poofter'. Incredible times.

I don't really have much to add to this phenomenon. I find it really stultifying and saddening to see people seeing the world through this 'woke' aperture. Sure there have been vocally and aggressively online liberals in a small minority, but is it really enough to drive people to this kind of hackery? Obviously yes. My travels through comedy spaces from say 2005-2017 was one of a world mostly sanitised of politics.

idunnosomename

Quote from: jobotic on July 27, 2022, 10:57:44 AMHe's got Brendan O'Niell's forehead. What is it with these people?
come now. His forehead is a mere tea saucer compared to Brendan's glacial behemoth

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 27, 2022, 10:27:43 AMAndrew Doyle's act consists of him scowling while he talks about the STUPID WOKE sexy STUDENTS he had teach at Oxford who didnt laugh at his jokes. WELL LOOK AT ME NOW GIRLS!!! IM A COMEDIAN!!!! LOOK HOW MANY TWITTER FOLLOWERS I HAVE!!!

You do know he's gay?

Quote from: phantom_power on July 27, 2022, 11:00:14 AMAll those free thinkers with the same fucking opinions

These 30 comedians have the same opinions on everything, do you think?

Quote from: jobotic on July 27, 2022, 11:14:06 AMI do get cheered up by imagining the plums attending these gigs pretending to each other and themselves that they find any of this funny.

Like a Rosie Jones audience?

Quote from: sevendaughters on July 27, 2022, 11:37:28 AMI find it really stultifying and saddening to see people seeing the world through this 'woke' aperture.

So do they!

QuoteSure there have been vocally and aggressively online liberals in a small minority,

Are vocally and aggressively online liberals really "a small minority" on the stand-up comedy circuit? If you mean in the wider world rather than stand-up, the concept of 'woke-washing' would seem to suggest that this ideology has been a successful and prestigious enough social trend for corporations to determine that there's money in it.

QuoteMy travels through comedy spaces from say 2005-2017 was one of a world mostly sanitised of politics.

Dementedly embittered ultra-hyper-polarisation along socio-culturally ideological lines only really seemed to kick in with a vengeance around 2016.

Foreheads: haha Tefal slap ha.

jobotic

Ha ha! Thought we'd see you sooner.

You going? They might make gags about Rosie Jones if you're lucky.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 27, 2022, 12:50:55 PMYou do know he's gay?

These 30 comedians have the same opinions on everything, do you think?

Like a Rosie Jones audience?

So do they!

Are vocally and aggressively online liberals really "a small minority" on the stand-up comedy circuit? If you mean in the wider world rather than stand-up, the concept of 'woke-washing' would seem to suggest that this ideology has been a successful and prestigious enough social trend for corporations to determine that there's money in it.

Dementedly embittered ultra-hyper-polarisation along socio-culturally ideological lines only really seemed to kick in with a vengeance around 2016.

Foreheads: haha Tefal slap ha.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 27, 2022, 12:50:55 PMSo do they!

If your entire raison d'etre is 'we're not woke' then it is seeing the world through that aperture. I hate to say this to such a dedicated reactionary whose entire post I could have predicted and written in advance, but you're better than this.

Don't follow your second point to me at all. Your third one seems very convenient. My comedy booker mates in Manchester and Birmingham still seem to put on acts that skew liberal in that they're not up there bagging on minorities, but are essentially bland and apolitical TV-ready fluff. I never really saw stand-up EVER as a hotbed of leftist or liberal cultural theory, and anyone going to the lengths to set up a vanguard of reactionary self-congratulation is exactly the kind of easily hurt caricature they have imagined others to be.