Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:05:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Daniel Kitson 2022

Started by up_the_hampipe, April 22, 2022, 05:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

Looks like I will also have 2 spares, or possibly just 1, so DM me if chad-io's get taken.

ETA: for tomorrow, the 24th, to be clear.

iamcoop

I have a spare ticket for old Danny boy tonight in Durham.

The absolute WASTEMAN That was supposed to be coming  with us has bailed because they don't wanna get a bus (train strikes.)

PM me if anybody wants it, not arsed about the money you can just have it.

AzureSky

**VINYL NEWS** Only a couple of months to go now...

-----
Cooooeeeeeee.

So. Two Quite Nice Things, I reckon.

First Q.N.T.

The tour of Outside is nearly done and I just wanted to let you know about the last few bits and pieces.

There are still tickets available this week for Scarborough Spa (Thursday July 28th) and they are available Here. There are also a couple of hundred tickets still available for the Extra Show at Regents Park Open Air Theatre (Monday August 1st) which are available Here.

In addition to that, during the heatwave we re-arranged the second show at MAC in Birmingham to the 10th of August and because some people couldn't make that date there are now some tickets available Here.

Finally – I've put three final shows in at Stillington Mill in North Yorkshire from August 29th to 31st– you may remember this was where I started the tour (after 2 years of not performing) and i'm going back for three reasons –

1 – Its lovely.

2 – I promised them I'd come back when I had an actual finished show so these will be the very last performances of the show.

3 – I'm going to film it over the three nights and edit something together out of it and as well as the aesthetic delight of the place, I find the thought of finishing where i started quite satisfying.

Tickets will be on sale by the time you get this. Now, interestingly, there's two ticket prices - £10 standard price and £6 cheaper ticket if you've already watched an earlier version of the show but fancy another look at the "finished" "show". We'll run an honesty box system on that - so you can just pick whichever applies to you when booking. And you can book Here

Second Q.N.T.

Soooooooo.

Some Good News.

The Vinyl has arrived.

I now have something close to 3000 Vinyl Records in my house– CD's and Cassettes are well on the way, I have picked my mailers*, spoken to my post man and I will start dispatching your orders from the beginning of August – I asked a person with an online shop how many orders she could post in a day and she said that on a good day, when she was in the zone she could do 100. So, I think allowing for the days when I've got gigs away and a couple of inevitable but unforeseen hiccups, I should have them all posted out by the End of September.

If this further delay is your final straw and you would rather cancel your order for a full refund - you can still do so and i wouldn't think it unreasonable.

Due to the fact that it will just be me, in my house, posting them out, I've had to devise the most time effective system for one person which means that orders wont necessarily be dispatched in the same order in which they were purchased, I will be sorting by type and amount of items in each order - rather than going by order number which I appreciate may be irritating but you will all definitely get the stuff you ordered and (relatively) soon (ish).

IMPORTANT:

Please, if you have moved house in the last year or will be moving before October – email me your new/preferred/updated delivery address. Also - It would be hugely helpful if you could put your order number in the subject line and then I can update everything as I go.

Thanks again for your patience I really do, very much appreciate it.

Okey doke.

That's everything for now.

GOODBYE FOREVER

Daniel

*- Postal Industry Lingo for Envelopes.
-----

Twilkes

I like the way he signs off every email with 'goodbye forever', as one day he will send an email and then die, and people will be like 'you know what, he knew he was going, he said it in his email'.

Fireworks is still the best thing of his I've seen, gosh that was fifteen years ago now. Has he changed or have I, etc.

buntyman

I can't go to the Kitson gig at Regents Park on Sunday August 21. They're quite good seats - if anyone wants them (face value) PM me.

dirkgonnadirk

How were the outdoor shows?

And more importantly, I'm in London for a couple more weeks. Does he still do that casual stand up thing in the pub? Any details about that anywhere?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: dirkgonnadirk on September 09, 2022, 08:48:03 PMHow were the outdoor shows?

And more importantly, I'm in London for a couple more weeks. Does he still do that casual stand up thing in the pub? Any details about that anywhere?

He won't be doing any indoor shows for a while, at least until the threat of COVID seems firmly in the rear view (like most of us are pretending it is), hence the outdoor tour.

I saw his first Regents Park show and it was good, although didn't feel quite finished. Not his strongest, but he's always enjoyable in a purely stand-up format.

Memorex MP3

Can't imagine him going anywhere near the Bill Murray (assuming that's the pub?) for quite a while considering his Covid caution.

Thought the regents park show I saw was alright but I can't really remember much of it at all looking back. Which I guess is par for the course with my experience of his shows there.

Tiggles

I saw the last show at Stillington Mill and he said it wasn't finished, he still hadn't really worked out what it was about/ how to tie it together, or words to that effect. But he also said that it would be the last time he would be doing it. Lots of chaotic-getting-easily-distracted stuff, especially with the cameras being there. Shambolic charm, the occasional dig at the audience (he'd be happier making bowls from clay), gleams of something sharp, belly laughs scattered throughout. Work in progress stuff, basically!

It was funny and compassionate and I was thoroughly engrossed. There were themes about respecting others, anxiety and fear, obviously linked into his own very real covid anxieties and also a collective sense of not really appreciating the enormity of what we have been/ are still going through. The core of it was why he was performing Outside, er, outside.

Can't see him going back inside at the moment, given everything he said, although obviously everything can change. He's compère for the first night of a comedy festival being held outside in Manchester on 21 Sept, which I'm looking forward to, but nothing announced after that.

Blinder Data

has he said why he doesn't want to catch COVID? is he especially vulnerable?

obviously he can do what he likes but if he's that concerned about it I think he'll be doing outdoor gigs for some time - it's bloody hard not to catch COVID

buntyman

I also went to see him at Stillington Mill in Yorkshire (the first night of his last run) and my experience was very similar to Tiggles'. Not as full on hilarious as I've found some of his late night larking about shows at the fringe but still very funny and undoubtedly the most pleasant and enjoyable setting I've seen him (or maybe anyone) in.

He said he slightly messed up part of the show by not dropping in something earlier on to link it all up at the end so I might not have quite picked up on how strong his feelings are about covid as a risk to his own health
Spoiler alert
at the end he says that he's doing it all outside to benefit the few people who are still worried about it and would otherwise not have come if he was performing at an indoor place. He then said he includes himself in that group. He did however say that he was filming it as part of a plan to then perform something along the same lines in a big theatre in New York and then contrast it by playing filmed segments to them of the tiny outdoor marquee gatherings of about 100 people so I'd expect these to be the last outdoor shows for covid reasons.
[close]

Anyone buy any of the records and received them yet? I bought a couple but looking at how nice they look from people's photos on Twitter I regret not just getting them all.

Tiggles

Buntyman - thank you for that additional info. The first part of your spoiler tagged bit is how he brought our performance together, but he didn't mention your final sentence so that is really hopeful that he sees a way out of this at some point
Spoiler alert
that involves getting on a plane no less!
[close]

I was going to say that I got more a sense of anxiety needing empathy, and that the way we sometimes rationalise our way out of anxiety can be illogical as the reasons we have anxiety in the first place. It's not as simple as "I have anxiety because I have asthma" - it's more like "I have anxiety". It was clear he was getting fed up of being anxious as well.

On the records - I had the same thought as you (plus I'm more solvent than this time last year). I dropped him a line about the non-Shenanigan vinyl, asking about spares. He replied that he expected there would be, once he'd finished posting out, and he'd put them up on his site. So keep a look out!

AzureSky

The records are lovely. Jokes on the inlay of the Fireworks LP and even on the stickers of the actual postage box itself. You get a personal hand written note from him also, mine was "YES <NAME>! ALL FUCKING FOUR. WALLOP. DANIEL X".

WestHill

Didn't realise Stories for the Wobbly Hearted is up as a video to rent on his site!

Tiggles

Quote from: WestHill on September 10, 2022, 02:15:49 PMDidn't realise Stories for the Wobbly Hearted is up as a video to rent on his site!

I moved away from Crystal Palace/ UK at the end of 2017 and hadn't seen him perform since then until this summer. In the interregnum it's been such a joy to be able to revisit his work as he shares more of it and, because I'm greedy, I really hope he puts up more stuff from the 2010's. The archive section of his site indicates he's thinking about putting up Polyphony; I'd also love "As Of ... This Show Has No Title" as well.

I mean I'm mainly interested in what he does next, but honestly he writes and performs his work (particularly his plays) in a way that is too dense for me to fully appreciate it in the one or two times I might get tickets to see it.

It's going to be interesting to see if there is an upsurge in semi-academic Kitson-ology (from lunatics like me) if more of his work is made available to return to over and over again. He'd probably hate that, mind.

mjwilson

Shenanigan turned up on CD this morning. I had sort of forgotten I'd ordered it to be honest.

Tiggles

INCOMING!!

Check your emails for some The Globe action.

I'm gutted; I leave London the morning of the first show after a few days down seeing gigs and catching up with friends.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH

Tiggles

In an entirely predictable turn of events, I decided if I got lucky with the tickets I'd then sort everything else out.

Currently rearranging logistics in a state of much giddiness.

Memorex MP3

Forgot all about this 😔; if anyone needs to get rid of 1-2 standing tickets near the date lemme know and I'll probably take them

Edit: Got one for the Wednesday 🙌, probably still get a second closer to the time

Tiggles

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on September 21, 2022, 12:29:02 PMForgot all about this 😔; if anyone needs to get rid of 1-2 standing tickets near the date lemme know and I'll probably take them

There's a chance that there will be some on general sale on Friday - he mentioned in his email that some would be held back for general purchase. So might be worth setting a reminder for then...

DrGreggles

Didn't see the email as, despite my setting a rule in Outlook, he got flagged as junk.
Has he changed domain?

studpuppet

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 21, 2022, 08:30:00 PMDidn't see the email as, despite my setting a rule in Outlook, he got flagged as junk.
Has he changed domain?

Ahh, that'll be why I got the four worst tickets in the house on the 26th. Maybe they've only held back the £25 ones?

Tiggles

He was on great form competing Laughterama in Manchester tonight. First night of an outdoors festival and a great line-up and at one point David O'Doherty (who was also ace) cable-tied his ankle to a folding chair just before he had to come back on. Used a fair amount of the "Outside" material he's developed but a lot of wonderful crowd work, including getting us all to wave at passing trains and shout "cunt" at them. I do really enjoy seeing him piss about with the audience, just so funny.

Tiggles

Quote from: studpuppet on September 21, 2022, 09:29:15 PMAhh, that'll be why I got the four worst tickets in the house on the 26th. Maybe they've only held back the £25 ones?

I managed to get some of the £25 ones, so it's probably groundlings and a few others scattered around.

Quote from: Tiggles on September 21, 2022, 11:29:49 PMHe was on great form competing Laughterama in Manchester tonight. First night of an outdoors festival and a great line-up and at one point David O'Doherty (who was also ace) cable-tied his ankle to a folding chair just before he had to come back on. Used a fair amount of the "Outside" material he's developed but a lot of wonderful crowd work, including getting us all to wave at passing trains and shout "cunt" at them. I do really enjoy seeing him piss about with the audience, just so funny.

Yeah, he was on great form - and we got lots more from him than I thought we would. He must've done about 40 minutes in total.

I think Kitson in mischievous MC mode is Kitson at his absolute best.

Tiggles

I think the thing running over by 30 mins was entirely down to Kitson just having a lot of fun and going with what the crowd gave him. Loved how he pretended he didn't understand all the signals telling him he'd gone past his time slot.

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 21, 2022, 11:40:19 PMYeah, he was on great form - and we got lots more from him than I thought we would. He must've done about 40 minutes in total.

I think Kitson in mischievous MC mode is Kitson at his absolute best.

Completely agree. I'd go one further and say not just Kitson at his best, but him dicking about is basically as good as stand up gets for me.

Tiggles

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on September 22, 2022, 09:06:24 AMCompletely agree. I'd go one further and say not just Kitson at his best, but him dicking about is basically as good as stand up gets for me.

It's been a while since I've seen him like this; the last thing I saw him do live was his Roundhouse show in 2017 which was very tightly scripted. Seeing the giddy creative freedom of Kitson finding the funny in a breath of air is seriously enjoyable, and watching the ease with which he took the audience with him was impressive.

But: I love his scripted work too, and I particularly enjoy how it develops over time, watching all the cogs and springs fall into place (I saw Outside mid and end-run to do this).

One thing I'd be curious to see is Kitson collaborate again - but not necessarily a live two-hander, like with Tim Key (or on the Fuckstorm joys-of-chaos), or with others on recorded bits. Maybe with a director. But what the fuck do I know, eh.

Tiggles

PSA re: The Globe - yard and some seats left on both nights - think there's a few unrestricted upper gallery seats together left for Thurs, other seats are restricted view and largely singles.

Edit: yeah, that's changed. 2 single restricted seats left over both nights, and yard tickets available for both.