Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:12:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

never seen Look Around You

Started by madhair60, July 21, 2022, 01:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

In the unlikely event that you have not yet encountered Quentin Smirhes, try this YouTube channel.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCwHw0B9zAL4Z08sVRRjfx5g

I think the content captures the spirit of Look Around You series 1 better than series 2 does.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Replies From View on July 25, 2022, 07:16:14 AMBut they wanted a portal, right?  If they had wanted an ordinary 1970s door, or people already being in the studio as the camera panned around, that's what they would have filmed.  So the problem is still with the idea and not just the execution.

I don't know. Perhaps they wanted something like the sliding doors they had for the conveyor belt on the Generation Game - I could easily believe that to build something like that for real might have been too difficult/expensive at the time... or perhaps they wanted something like this:

...which is a still from an actual on-screen wipe from a 1978 edition of Top of the Pops.

I think that the idea (whichever it was) was probably reasonably sound, but then was lost in translation by whoever did the animation.

Pink Gregory

I find the repetition of the phrase "An experiment was carried out" very pleasing.

Replies From View

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 27, 2022, 09:45:31 AMI find the repetition of the phrase "An experiment was carried out" very pleasing.

Me too.  It's how we were taught to introduce our science write-ups in secondary school - always that phrase, to really drum in the passive voice of the experiment without a first person subject.

So it has a very pleasing school-ish vibe to it.

lb99

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 27, 2022, 09:26:45 AMI don't know. Perhaps they wanted something like the sliding doors they had for the conveyor belt on the Generation Game - I could easily believe that to build something like that for real might have been too difficult/expensive at the time... or perhaps they wanted something like this:

...which is a still from an actual on-screen wipe from a 1978 edition of Top of the Pops.

I think that the idea (whichever it was) was probably reasonably sound, but then was lost in translation by whoever did the animation.

From talking with them both - they wanted a big over the top slightly threatening industrial door. In the end the VFX facility couldn't make it look realistic enough - it looked like CGI which stuck out like a sore thumb in the pre-CGI world of LAY.

Replies From View

That 1978 TOTP wipe looks great (in still form, at least.  I haven't seen it in motion).  It reminds me of the unzipping face in Total Recall.

Was it when the BBC first started using Quantel?  DPE 5000?  It sits with my understanding of Doctor Who special effect history.

Ambient Sheep

Writing as someone who spent ten years on a vision-mixer/DVE[1] design team, that just looks like a standard vision-mixer zig-zag wipe.  No DVE involved. 

Obviously TOTP went on to be big users of Quantel (and possibly the Questech Charisma Cleo), but not in that still.

[1] Digital Video Effects, i.e. Quantel-like kit; there were at least six other manufactures of such kit off the top of my head: Abekas, ADO, Pinnacle, Questech, Snell & Wilcox, Sony; some of these have now been victims of mergers since then.  Quantel is just the one that gets most publicity, partly due to Kenny Everett.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Replies From View on July 25, 2022, 08:16:46 AMIn the unlikely event that you have not yet encountered Quentin Smirhes, try this YouTube channel.

I think the content captures the spirit of Look Around You series 1 better than series 2 does.

Not as good as series 1 tho

Replies From View

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 28, 2022, 01:15:00 PMNot as good as series 1 tho

Very good though.  Worth checking out if you haven't.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Replies From View on July 28, 2022, 01:16:39 PMVery good though.  Worth checking out if you haven't.

I do like it, bits if it are great, and I know it's not fair to compare it to something like look around you

But

Replies From View

Just wanted to mention Quentin Smirhes to be honest.  Do a film with him instead of Brian Gittins.

Blumf

prelektric

Realising that S1 of Look Around You is 20 years old is seriously giving me an existential breakdown.

Lucky enough to have caught it by accident on broadcast and was completely besotted with it - was already aware of Pete through "Spaced", and it still remains one of the most accurately observed and deeply silly... parodies? I think it's a work of art myself - and the beautifully crafted DVD is one of my most treasured possessions. And Gelg.

Before anyone brings it up, I feel I can call him Pete, having met him once and we bought each other a pint, again, nearly 20 years ago, so he's my BFF obviously. Right? Lovely man though. Never met Robert, but he did like a tweet I made once so that's as good as being married to him. Right?

S2 does get a bit of flak, and I understand why - but for me it hits more than it misses, though you can't really binge it like you can with S1. It works better, as has been said, in smaller doses. Though if anyone disses Medibot and Dr Fu (the always wonderful Benedict Wong) I'll be havin' words mate. I'll strap you to a chair and make you play Diarrhea Dan endlessly, Ludovico Technique style.

Available via Pete's YT channel,

"Intermission" - as mentioned earlier is fucking amazing, I think that's my favourite of their ancillary works. Comtrex (parp!), swan biryani, the smoking ghost, three rubs (...but how do you know?), what's not to like?

"Building a Human" comes a close second though. Not least because Replica Whitby-494 looks eerily similar to my boss. He hasn't had the life force fucked into him yet either.

Even things like "Birds of Britain" and "Markets of Britain" are superbly observed. The latter especially captures that Jack Hargreaves "Out of Town" mood effortlessly and still manages to be utterly stupid and sinister.

"KFC Commercial" however is fucking terrifying. "Cutty. Cutty. Cut. Cut it. CUT IT. Place on plate".

In short, I wish they'd both come back and do some more. The world is shit at the minute and we could do with that sort of joy.

(As for Smirhes, he's great but completely unhinged - binge watched a lot of his stuff in one evening and had the most ferociously weird dreams afterwards - not for bedtime viewing I'd suggest).

Replies From View

Quote from: Blumf on July 28, 2022, 01:56:05 PMThe best part of the Smirhes canon is Kenneth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpDSERMwlZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Tc8E61sTU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGD3v7HkxIw

Now come on, that's pure Look Around you.

The third of those uses Beau Hunks music, as heard on Laurel and Hardy.

Replies From View

Quote from: prelektric on July 28, 2022, 05:22:15 PM(As for Smirhes, he's great but completely unhinged - binge watched a lot of his stuff in one evening and had the most ferociously weird dreams afterwards - not for bedtime viewing I'd suggest).

He's too productive to be unhinged.  He is a genius though, producing work that seems to pipe uninhibited madness from his brain directly into sound and film, which is something many artists can only dream of.

Your dreams should already be like that, and there's something wrong with you if they're not.  Have weird dreams you dunderclonk.

Blumf

Quote from: Replies From View on July 28, 2022, 06:04:50 PMThe third of those uses Beau Hunks music, as heard on Laurel and Hardy.

The music for the first had a royal connection.

prelektric

Quote from: Replies From View on July 28, 2022, 06:07:40 PMHe's too productive to be unhinged.  He is a genius though, producing work that seems to pipe uninhibited madness from his brain directly into sound and film, which is something many artists can only dream of.

Your dreams should already be like that, and there's something wrong with you if they're not.  Have weird dreams you dunderclonk.

Oh I agree. On both points.

Props for the use of "dunderclonk" though - I'm nicking that one.

PlanktonSideburns

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: prelektric on July 28, 2022, 05:22:15 PMRealising that S1 of Look Around You is 20 years old is seriously giving me an existential breakdown.

Lucky enough to have caught it by accident on broadcast and was completely besotted with it - was already aware of Pete through "Spaced", and it still remains one of the most accurately observed and deeply silly... parodies? I think it's a work of art myself - and the beautifully crafted DVD is one of my most treasured possessions. And Gelg.

Before anyone brings it up, I feel I can call him Pete, having met him once and we bought each other a pint, again, nearly 20 years ago, so he's my BFF obviously. Right? Lovely man though. Never met Robert, but he did like a tweet I made once so that's as good as being married to him. Right?

S2 does get a bit of flak, and I understand why - but for me it hits more than it misses, though you can't really binge it like you can with S1. It works better, as has been said, in smaller doses. Though if anyone disses Medibot and Dr Fu (the always wonderful Benedict Wong) I'll be havin' words mate. I'll strap you to a chair and make you play Diarrhea Dan endlessly, Ludovico Technique style.

"Intermission" - as mentioned earlier is fucking amazing, I think that's my favourite of their ancillary works. Comtrex (parp!), swan biryani, the smoking ghost, three rubs (...but how do you know?), what's not to like?

"Building a Human" comes a close second though. Not least because Replica Whitby-494 looks eerily similar to my boss. He hasn't had the life force fucked into him yet either.

Even things like "Birds of Britain" and "Markets of Britain" are superbly observed. The latter especially captures that Jack Hargreaves "Out of Town" mood effortlessly and still manages to be utterly stupid and sinister.

"KFC Commercial" however is fucking terrifying. "Cutty. Cutty. Cut. Cut it. CUT IT. Place on plate".

In short, I wish they'd both come back and do some more. The world is shit at the minute and we could do with that sort of joy.

There are some LAY-ish moments in The Peter Serafinowicz Show too. Obviously, The Modern Guide To sketches for 1970s period fun and a couple of PIFs, if I recall, one film warning everybody to turn off their acid sockets at night.

DJ Bob Hoskins

^ that would be this masterpiece:

prelektric

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 28, 2022, 08:10:50 PMThere are some LAY-ish moments in The Peter Serafinowicz Show too. Obviously, The Modern Guide To sketches for 1970s period fun and a couple of PIFs, if I recall, one film warning everybody to turn off their acid sockets at night.

Of course, those were all great. But it's been too long since then. Pete and Rob need to come back and make us happy.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on July 28, 2022, 10:17:04 PM^ that would be this masterpiece:

Yes, I meant 'poison' not 'acid'. We all know one can leave acid sockets switched on all night willy-nilly without any peril.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: prelektric on July 28, 2022, 05:22:15 PMRealising that S1 of Look Around You is 20 years old is seriously giving me an existential breakdown.

S2 does get a bit of flak, and I understand why - but for me it hits more than it misses, though you can't really binge it like you can with S1. It works better, as has been said, in smaller doses.

In short, I wish they'd both come back and do some more. The world is shit at the minute and we could do with that sort of joy

Nice post, @prelektric - I share pretty much the exact same feelings on all of the above.

I re-listened to Peter Serafinowicz's 2017 appearance on RHLSTP last night. It's light on laughs compared to his previous appearance on the show, as much of it is spent despairing at the rise of Trump and post-truth politics etc. Which seems almost innocent to hear in 2022.

In any case, he talks about his Sassy Trump character. I never found it all that great at the time, but he explains how he realised the only way to satirise Trump is to quote him verbatim, in an amusing accent which causes the viewer to focus on just how crazy his words sound when you don't hear them in the same blowhard voice that you've learned to tune out.  Looking back, I admire his approach, there.

He obviously explains it better on the podcast than I just have, but it further cements my respect for how seriously he takes his craft and how inventive he can be. It's here in case anyone hasn't heard it: https://play.acast.com/s/rhlstp/rhlstp-134-peter-serafinowicz He always comes across as a great bunch of lads in interviews.

He also talked about a Brian Butterfield sitcom which was rejected by the BBC but could possibly resurface in the future. I assume that went nowhere? Or did I miss anything on that front? To be honest I'm not sure it would be possible to pull off that kind of show without jettisoning the bizarre LAY-esque elements (like bonbonbonbons, pasta pillows, pork cylinders etc.) that made Butterfield stuff so great in the first place.

prelektric

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on July 28, 2022, 10:59:19 PMNice post, @prelektric - I share pretty much the exact same feelings on all of the above.

Thanks man - I just had a whale of a time rewatching some of those things, crying with laughter.

QuoteI re-listened to Peter Serafinowicz's 2017 appearance on RHLSTP last night. It's light on laughs compared to his previous appearance on the show, as much of it is spent despairing at the rise of Trump and post-truth politics etc. Which seems almost innocent to hear in 2022.

In any case, he talks about his Sassy Trump character. I never found it all that great at the time, but he explains how he realised the only way to satirise Trump is to quote him verbatim, in an amusing accent which causes the viewer to focus on just how crazy his words sound when you don't hear them in the same blowhard voice that you've learned to tune out.  Looking back, I admire his approach, there.

He obviously explains it better on the podcast than I just have, but it further cements my respect for how seriously he takes his craft and how inventive he can be. It's here in case anyone hasn't heard it: https://play.acast.com/s/rhlstp/rhlstp-134-peter-serafinowicz He always comes across as a great bunch of lads in interviews.

He also talked about a Brian Butterfield sitcom which was rejected by the BBC but could possibly resurface in the future. I assume that went nowhere? Or did I miss anything on that front? To be honest I'm not sure it would be possible to pull off that kind of show without jettisoning the bizarre LAY-esque elements (like bonbonbonbons, pasta pillows, pork cylinders etc.) that made Butterfield stuff so great in the first place.

I remember this appearance on RHLSTP - must go back and revisit that - was that the same one where he talks about his Phantom Menace "experience"?

As for the potential for a Butterfield sitcom - no. Just no. Often hard to tell with Pete if he's joking, but that's an awful idea and should never happen. I wouldn't put it past him though to make it happen just to make a point. But given how awfully they treated him with his wonderful sketch show, not sure he has much leverage these days.

I have an enormous amount of respect for him though - while I'm not a huge fan of this show (8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown) he had a hugely memorable moment on it that's so Pete...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IDmSnD2pzc

neveragain

Quote from: prelektric on July 28, 2022, 11:21:22 PM... while I'm not a huge fan of this show (8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown) he had a hugely memorable moment on it that's so Pete...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IDmSnD2pzc

Oh that's great, I love Peter so much and, like yourself, just want him BACK! He also read some of Morrissey's autobiography in the voice of Neil Morrissey, which I thought was wonderfully obscure for that show.

This also reminds of Would I Lie You To? where he did a funny visual gag of putting on sunglasses when he went to read a card... only for Brydon to spoil it by piggybacking on the laugh and drawing attention to it. (Love Brydon but he can be, well, Brydon)

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: prelektric on July 28, 2022, 11:21:22 PMI remember this appearance on RHLSTP - must go back and revisit that - was that the same one where he talks about his Phantom Menace "experience"?

Nah, the Star Wars stuff was from his previous appearance on the podcast back in 2012.

That "8 out of 10..." clip is great, hadn't seen that before.

Replies From View

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on July 29, 2022, 08:57:02 AMNah, the Star Wars stuff was from his previous appearance on the podcast back in 2012.

It's funny how the memory plays tricks. 

Whenever there's a video version of RHLSTP available, I prioritise watching that rather than only listening to the audio, and I was absolutely certain I had seen the above podcast in video form.

Last year I went searching for Serofinowicz talking about his Star Wars experience in video form, but could only find audio.  Turns out I had never seen a video version even though I was absolutely certain I had.

FUNNY, ISN'T IT.  FUNNY

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Replies From View on July 25, 2022, 08:16:46 AMIn the unlikely event that you have not yet encountered Quentin Smirhes, try this YouTube channel.

cant stop thinking about this

QS caprures the spirit the punchline from one throwaway joke from look around series one, often stretched out for 5-10mins, with no context

not saying that its neccicarily bad - QS is a different beast in a different world, but comparing it to Look Around You feels a bit like comparing an apple with, lets say, a traction engine, - the apple's inability to power farm equiptment from the 1900s is thrown into stark releif by the comparison, to no ones benefit

Video Game Fan 2000

I couldn't stand Sassy Trump, its impressive and well observed but just not an especially funny or cutting thing to point out. One of them things where it requires knowing who's doing the impression to "get" it. Otherwise its just lol Trump gay. Like with the Top Gear bit.

I kick rocks weekly over the fact Serafinowicz doesn't have a massively popular sketch program with special guests, musical numbers and high concept bits. The works. So he can do whatever he wants. LAY weirdness and crowdpleasing impressions in the same show. Its unreasonable he's not given money to make more things for me to watch for free on the internet.

ajsmith2

Any chance they could film the unmade additional Se1 scripts 20 years on and offer em to [AS] or someone or would that be insane? It's not like it matters if Seraf and Popper have physically aged as they rarely appeared in full on screen. Also Nigel Lambert is still with us. I know it's hard to catch lightning in a bottle twice but I think it'd be worth a go.