Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:35:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

never seen Look Around You

Started by madhair60, July 21, 2022, 01:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 29, 2022, 01:11:04 PMcant stop thinking about this

QS caprures the spirit the punchline from one throwaway joke from look around series one, often stretched out for 5-10mins, with no context

not saying that its neccicarily bad - QS is a different beast in a different world, but comparing it to Look Around You feels a bit like comparing an apple with, lets say, a traction engine, - the apple's inability to power farm equiptment from the 1900s is thrown into stark releif by the comparison, to no ones benefit

I find this man to be a non-fan of Quentin Smirhes, and it is his own loss.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Replies From View on July 29, 2022, 05:31:15 PMI find this man to be a non-fan of Quentin Smirhes, and it is his own loss.

I'm a fan

I'm subscribed

I liked the one where he was making noises over Morris Dancing

Replies From View

Well ok then.  Forgiven

by the way, QS stands for Question of Sport which is shite.

neveragain

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 29, 2022, 04:39:36 PMAlso Nigel Lambert is still with us. I know it's hard to catch lightning in a bottle twice but I think it'd be worth a go.

Lambert grumpily declined to voice the Birds of Britain bit in s2, so (if he even was still healthy enough) I doubt he would be bothered. Source: LAY2 DVD commentary.

ajsmith2

Quote from: neveragain on July 29, 2022, 05:56:38 PMLambert grumpily declined to voice the Birds of Britain bit in s2, so (if he even was still healthy enough) I doubt he would be bothered. Source: LAY2 DVD commentary.

Damn, do they mention why? Was he insulted to only be asked back for a cameo? Or was he just not arsed about LAY in general?

neveragain

They didn't go into detail but, from the tone, it seemed to be that he wasn't arsed about the show. Which is surprising given how much he seems to 'get it' in series one.

Replies From View

Wikipedia claims that LAY series 1 is what he is best known for.

Brundle-Fly

One of those unexpected pleasant surprises in a comedy show.

The Javone Prince Show (2015)

ajsmith2

I remember a while back (but still years after the show came out, maybe around 2017) Dave Davies of The Kinks tweeting at Gregg Turkington to thank him for the Look Around You DVD he'd sent him, that was an odd collision of a few worlds. No evidence of it oh Twitter now, but I swear it happened.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 29, 2022, 06:44:53 PMI remember a while back (but still years after the show came out, maybe around 2017) Dave Davies of The Kinks tweeting at Gregg Turkington to thank him for the Look Around You DVD he'd sent him, that was an odd collision of a few worlds. No evidence of it oh Twitter now, but I swear it happened.
Isn't Dave Davies into UFOs and the occult? Maybe he thought it was all real.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Replies From View on July 29, 2022, 05:35:28 PMWell ok then.  Forgiven

by the way, QS stands for Question of Sport which is shite.

Is QS the most depressing theme tune

Always makes me think of the voice of a drowning man, singing with final breath

Sport sporty sport sporty sport

Over the melody

Replies From View

Also the most shittest thing ever in all respects, as well.  Not just the theme tune but everything about it, the whole programme.

Bennett Brauer

Remember when Sue Barker took over from David Coleman and said she'd be clamping down on the use of 'fuck' and 'cunt'? The banter's been pathetic ever since.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Replies From View on July 29, 2022, 07:26:52 PMAlso the most shittest thing ever in all respects, as well.  Not just the theme tune but everything about it, the whole programme.

Just had this depressing low energy to it, like some sort of ex wreck head born again christian with his best days behind him

A room full of old dogs waiting to be executed

The Serafinowicz/Popper podcast/pilot 'Radio Spiritworld' is also worth a listen if you haven't heard it. 

The premise is that it's a shortwave radio broadcast that comes from the afterlife. 

So many great bits in it.

It was originally a one-off podcast, then it was revealed that it was also acting as a pilot for a Radio 4 series that never came to fruition.

The only follow up version they did was the 'Frost/Savile'interview show that was broadcast from hell. 

non capisco

Quote from: prelektric on July 28, 2022, 11:21:22 PMI have an enormous amount of respect for him though - while I'm not a huge fan of this show (8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown) he had a hugely memorable moment on it that's so Pete...

Can't remember which panel show it was but 'Dancing On Ice' was mentioned and he chimed in with "What's it about?"

Also on some fake AMA he once did on Twitter years ago the joke
Q: What is Santa Claus' wife called?
A: Santa Barbara

The Bumlord

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 29, 2022, 06:44:53 PMI remember a while back (but still years after the show came out, maybe around 2017) Dave Davies of The Kinks tweeting at Gregg Turkington to thank him for the Look Around You DVD he'd sent him, that was an odd collision of a few worlds. No evidence of it oh Twitter now, but I swear it happened.

Dunno but:

McChesney Duntz

Seems totally on-brand, given that one big part of Gregg's career revolves around the less-renowned siblings of celebrated talents (and, come to think of it, aging musical eminences [see: Al Jardine, Denny Laine and the altered voice of Todd Rundgren in various episodes of Decker]).

Gurke and Hare

purlieu

Quote from: non capisco on July 30, 2022, 12:44:11 AMAlso on some fake AMA he once did on Twitter years ago the joke
Q: What is Santa Claus' wife called?
A: Santa Barbara

ajsmith2

This thread has inspired me to finally break down and order series 2 for a fiver off Music Magpie. It always looked a bit naff to me but eventually the calls of 'the lows are lower but the highs are higher than s1' whenever it's mentioned here becomes too hard to ignore. Will let yous know how I get on.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Replies From View on July 29, 2022, 06:35:33 PMWikipedia claims that LAY series 1 is what he is best known for.

QuoteHe is the voice of Mr Curry in The Adventures of Paddington Bear television series and also Papa in the Dolmio pasta sauce puppet commercials.

Whensa your Dolmio day??

Replies From View

QuoteNigel Lambert (born 11 May 1944) is an English voice actor. He is best known for his role as the narrator of the first series of the BBC comedy series Look Around You, as well as Merle Ambrose in the MMORPG Wizard101.

I feel like a fan of RHLSTP must have edited this.  "Best known" is so subjective.