Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:51:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trabuch

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 24, 2022, 09:46:06 PMYes please! I've not cancelled my Hei subscription after the Oscar special, so I might just keep it for now. It's about time Gregg Turkington and his compelling characters got their due.

Tim will undermine Turkingston's's artistic integrity in some way.

QDRPHNC

QuoteDid you know that more decks of cards have been sold than any book in human history but there has never been a Deck of Cards movie?

That changes forever this Friday.

Written and directed by Gregg Turkington with additional editing by Tim Heidecker, Deck of Cards makes its exclusive debut on the HEI Network this Friday, September 2nd at 12:00pm PST! 

HEI Members can prepare for the premiere now by watching the origins of Deck of Cards in Season 12 of On Cinema at the Cinema and going Behind The Cards with Gregg Turkington.

If you are not currently a HEI Member, it is not too late to join and participate in this historic day of movie magic!

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 29, 2022, 08:36:45 PMHei Network is actually selling a Deck of Cards deck of cards.

Every time I see this on their website it makes me laugh out loud:

I see they're selling Dekkar 'Peppar' now too.
https://shop.merchcentral.com/products/on-cinema-dekkar-peppar

Ron Superior

Ok, that was actually unbelievable fun. I laughed loads. Every single time Tim does his pout at the end of a botched line it gets me. Gregg's constant grinning at the camera. Mark's various characters. Fanuchi. Wonderful. 

McChesney Duntz

Yeah, may not have advanced the brand (speaking of which, I'm guessing [as] owns the rights to the name "Decker" now, hah?) but very much in line with the H&G pledge of high-quality low-quality material. And of course, I'm sure we'll be enjoying the social-media fallout from this for some time...

Petey Pate

A complete and utter train wreck of incompetence.

I loved every minute of it.

A lot of funny business,
Spoiler alert
the first scene being exactly the same as the trailer/sneak preview, the horrendously bad CGI throughout, Joe Estevez's absence being covered by having his character kidnapped and wearing a bag over his head, Gregg unable to not make even a fantasy film involve a VHS archive and discussion of movie runtimes a second set of opening credits, the needlessly long driving montage, the terrible name changes for each Decker character, Tim unable to deliver a single line right, Mark being there against his will and clearly unhappy.
[close]

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on September 03, 2022, 01:05:10 AMYeah, may not have advanced the brand (speaking of which, I'm guessing [as] owns the rights to the name "Decker" now, hah?) but very much in line with the H&G pledge of high-quality low-quality material.

It was perfect in the On Cinema tradition of something new being promised but when revealed it's the same ideas and formats endlessly recycled.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 03, 2022, 12:31:38 PMIt was perfect in the On Cinema tradition of something new being promised but when revealed it's the same ideas and formats endlessly recycled.

This, of course, is 100% correct.

Stonefish

QDRPHNC

Deck of Cards is brilliant. It's hard to rank these things because this, the Trial, the Oscar Specials, they're not really comparable (despite the recycling of the basic ingredients), but it might be the best single thing in the Decker Denecker universe.

Random thoughts:
  • Gregg cannot play a new character without infusing it with all of the skills of his past characters. The fact that Joker doesn't mention that he's also a Formula 1 mechanic who's gone rogue is an oversight, however.
  • Tim's performance of Decker Denecker has deteriorated to such a degree that it sort renders all criticism/discussion of intentional bad acting moot.
  • Around 11:00, Christina Calph (she's the actor Gregg interviewed in the VFA Mobile two or three Oscar Specials ago) almost losing it at Mark Proksch's delivery of "I just want to enter Heaven so I can ... I just want to enter Heaven so I can stop ... roaming the Earth ... as this ... ... ... ... mummy."
  • "Turns out that quack... turns out that doc's a qua... flop."
  • "This is the Queen of Hearts and now she's stolen my heart, we're be, we'll be, wuh, ah, we're in love, ah she was a card."

Chollis

Loved it. Took me a while to realise the CGI bloke was Dudley Moore/Arthur. Gregg clapping around gormlessly for the jitterbug was funny, stopped being funny, then was funny again. New season can't be far off?

Check me out, knock-off merch! Wonder if it lasts more than 3 washes.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 11, 2022, 11:21:18 PMhe's also a Formula 1 mechanic who's gone rogue

Forgot the name of this, what was it!? Was just a YouTube trailer right?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Chollis on September 13, 2022, 10:46:55 AMCheck me out, knock-off merch! Wonder if it lasts more than 3 washes.

I've had my knock-off VFA shirt for at least 5 years, still going strong. Mine's blue though.

QDRPHNC

Season 13 starts on October 26th. Also:

QuoteExpertly moderated by the King of Hearts Joe Estevez, Deck of Cards: What Went Wrong is the much-awaited debate between HEI Network President Tim Heidecker and original Deck of Cards writer and director Gregg Turkington. Viewers can finally learn the truth behind the production of one of Hollywood's most storied and contentious releases ever. 

This 30-minute HEI Network Exclusive clarifies what the future might look like for beloved Deck of Cards characters like The Two of Diamonds, The Joker, Albert Einstein, Lanoo, Benjamin Franklin, and the newly re-introduced J.J. Denecker. 

Looks like What Went Wrong is live now, that's this evening sorted.

BritishHobo

Still annoyed at myself that I kept my subscription all year and then cancelled it right before Deck of Cards came out. Might wait until the next series ends and leap back on.

MrMrs

What Went Wrong wasn't great, lots of shouting over each other

trabuch

Tim looks alarmingly thin (apart from his moobs - not that there's anything wrong with that). The jitterbug scene was a treat, Gregg is always right.

McChesney Duntz

I enjoyed it, though it didn't bring anything new to the table - nice to see Joe Estevez back in the mix. Some good lines amongst the hubbub, and I kept laughing at how Gregg's branded DECK OF CARDS shirt can't even manage to spell his own name right.

And it sounds like season 13 of ON CINEMA is taking a rather different tack, which intrigues me. Roll on, 23 October...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 03, 2022, 12:31:38 PMA complete and utter train wreck of incompetence.

I loved every minute of it.

A lot of funny business,
Spoiler alert
the first scene being exactly the same as the trailer/sneak preview, the horrendously bad CGI throughout, Joe Estevez's absence being covered by having his character kidnapped and wearing a bag over his head, Gregg unable to not make even a fantasy film involve a VHS archive and discussion of movie runtimes a second set of opening credits, the needlessly long driving montage, the terrible name changes for each Decker character, Tim unable to deliver a single line right, Mark being there against his will and clearly unhappy.
[close]

It was perfect in the On Cinema tradition of something new being promised but when revealed it's the same ideas and formats endlessly recycled.

I loved the driving scene - anyone know the fantastic track accompanying it?

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Down the rabbit hole now

Just heading down to the mall in my Nike Air to hang with the boys.

weaseldust

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 15, 2022, 12:18:53 PMPhenomenal work Weaseldust, thank you! How did you do it?

no worries, just the shazam app on my phone!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: weaseldust on October 15, 2022, 01:04:16 PMno worries, just the shazam app on my phone!

didn't find it for me - or it did and thought it would have misidentified as I'd never heard of Harry Gutowski

weaseldust

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 15, 2022, 01:26:49 PMdidn't find it for me - or it did and thought it would have misidentified as I'd never heard of Harry Gutowski

oh i see! it did take about 2 seconds to find the song compared to the usual 0.2 seconds. i just wish it could identify this credits music from episode 2 of how to with john wilson

https://vocaroo.com/14t89VeOgebI

BlodwynPig

It's Rhythm Queen 1 from:
https://www.discogs.com/release/3306591-Patrick-Wilson-Adam-Routh-Video-Jukebox

according to my Shazam... has same feel as this (rhythm queen 1 is not on YouTube)

weaseldust

oh yes, thank you!! with the name i was able to find the full song at the end of this playlist at 29:00. finally i get to hear the whole thing

https://www.soundcloud.com/transport-radio/the-snotify-playlist-7-underground-grooves-vinyl-curiosities-all-music-thats-not-on-spotify