Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:43:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mock the Week cancelled.

Started by TheQueensboroBridge, August 02, 2022, 03:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Not the show that gave us Andy Parsons and Boyle's Queen's vagina joke!

Amazed this is still going. I assumed when it appeared on TV it was repeats, certainly looked like it.

Ferris

What's the bald man with the beard and the one with the wacky T-shirts going to do for work now?

A sad day.

up_the_hampipe

That's probably not good news for newer acts trying to break into television. It had become a testing ground for quite a few comics. Obviously it was impacted by the departures of Frankie Boyle and Russell Howard several years back, but with the likes of James Acaster, Ed Gamble, Nish Kumar etc. it seemed to have a steady audience. I guess they've all gone too and the ratings took a sharp dive.

checkoutgirl

There came to be many landfill panel shows on telly but this and 8 Cats seemed to typify the genre. Coincidentally 2005 is the same year that youtube came out and I stopped watching terrestrial TV altogether.

So it was a testing ground for comedians, whoopdee-fucking-doo. So it's partly their fault there are 70 million comedians now.

TheQueensboroBridge

Dave and Channel 4 will have to find alternative ways of auditioning for their light entertainment, sorry, I mean comedy shows.

As I barely watch any terrestrial TV now and avoid the panel shows as much as possible I seem to only discover new comedians by watching House of Games. Mae Martin and Fern Brady I both saw on that. Plus it's funnier than MTW and all the shite that's followed since.

jobotic

The funny thing is....

oh no sorry, you go next.

TheQueensboroBridge

Quote from: jobotic on August 02, 2022, 04:25:32 PMThe funny thing is....

oh no sorry, you go next.

Incredible that a segment masquerading as improvised could be so consistently and excrutiatingly unfunny.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: TheQueensboroBridge on August 02, 2022, 04:23:10 PMDave and Channel 4 will have to find alternative ways of auditioning for their light entertainment, sorry, I mean comedy shows.

As I barely watch any terrestrial TV now and avoid the panel shows as much as possible I seem to only discover new comedians by watching House of Games. Mae Martin and Fern Brady I both saw on that. Plus it's funnier than MTW and all the shite that's followed since.

You can't be turning your nose up at "light entertainment" panel shows then praising House of Games in the same breath.

TheQueensboroBridge

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 02, 2022, 04:30:35 PMYou can't be turning your nose up at "light entertainment" panel shows then praising House of Games in the same breath.

I can because House of Games doesn't pretend to be anything it's not. It is the epitome of cosy, easy to watch, light entertainment harmlessness.

Too many 'comedy' shows these days are nothing of the sort. I won't bother listing them as there's too many and we all know what they are.

Utter Shit

House Of Games is great.

Mock The Week was essential viewing for me during the Frankie Boyle days, and became a very different but still enjoyable show after that when it became friendlier and more collaborative with people like Ed Byrne on regularly...but the more recent generation with loads of new comics just didn't really work for me at all.

A lot of them have gone on to do great work, but the show itself felt sterile and dull, with a load of ambitious acts just waiting to get their material in. At this point it doesn't really feel like much of a loss, I just hope the BBC come up with a decent idea to replace it.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: TheQueensboroBridge on August 02, 2022, 04:39:33 PMI can because House of Games doesn't pretend to be anything it's not. It is the epitome of cosy, easy to watch, light entertainment harmlessness.

Too many 'comedy' shows these days are nothing of the sort. I won't bother listing them as there's too many and we all know what they are.

They're definitely comedy shows, even if you don't like them.

McDead

I am delighted by the demise of this dreadful flyblown shit. It has always been terrible, and it speaks poorly of the commissioning editors at the BBC that it's been allowed to trundle on, lifeless and mindless, for so long. Off the Kerb and Avalon will have to find some other crummy vehicle to peddle their misbegotten clientele.

Fambo Number Mive

I did like Dara as host and he didnt mind a joke at himself. The rounds where they did impressions over footage were good but they didnt do it very often. Haven't watched it for several years though.

Brundle-Fly

That's a little bit of annual bunce Bruce Foxton is going to miss now. NOTW is one of the two songs he solely wrote for The Jam.

Noodle Lizard

I barely watched an episode since Boyle left, but it was pretty important to a young me during that time. It sort of reminded me that I actually liked comedy, especially "shocking" material (I know, I know), and encouraged me to start looking into stand-up more seriously. Ironically enough, one of the first comedians it led me to was Stewart Lee, then Sadowitz etc., and in a roundabout way it led me to Chris Morris too.

So you could very well say that without Mock The Week, you wouldn't have me here, so I think we should all be thankful for that.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 02, 2022, 04:10:46 PMThat's probably not good news for newer acts trying to break into television.

Really?  Whenever I watched it I got the impression they had a very small roster of comedians to choose from, with the panel being composed of the same faces again and again with nary a variation for the last decade.  Maybe some of those faces were new once, but once their arses were in the seat nobody else was being given a chance.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on August 02, 2022, 05:35:41 PMReally?  Whenever I watched it I got the impression they had a very small roster of comedians to choose from, with the panel being composed of the same faces again and again with nary a variation for the last decade.  Maybe some of those faces were new once, but once their arses were in the seat nobody else was being given a chance.

They were doing it more in recent years. There's always going to be repeat guests and familiar faces, but they were trying to get newer faces on there. The problem they kept having was regular comics leaving, so it almost became necessary.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on August 02, 2022, 05:35:41 PMonce their arses were in the seat nobody else was being given a chance.

Huge Dennis.

It has a lot to answer for as having helped make Russell Howard.

Bennett Brauer

Virgo76

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on August 02, 2022, 05:35:41 PMReally?  Whenever I watched it I got the impression they had a very small roster of comedians to choose from, with the panel being composed of the same faces again and again with nary a variation for the last decade.  Maybe some of those faces were new once, but once their arses were in the seat nobody else was being given a chance.
Not true at all. Not for a long time.

Endicott

I've been drawn to this thread by this incredible news, that someone likes House of Games.

madhair60

Quote from: Endicott on August 02, 2022, 07:29:34 PMI've been drawn to this thread by this incredible news, that someone likes House of Games.

i know, it's fucking embarrassing, isn't it

BritishHobo

This definitely feels like a Simpsons thing, where a lot of opinions on the current state of the show (my own included) are actually based on episodes from about six years ago, because time is a prick.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 02, 2022, 09:22:51 PMThis definitely feels like a Simpsons thing, where a lot of opinions on the current state of the show (my own included) are actually based on episodes from about six years ago, because time is a prick.

Yeah I was thinking that it's not been that bad recently because James Acaster is still on, but turns out he hasn't been on the show for about 4 years. I've only seen the show through compilations of him and Frankie Boyle in the past decade, to be fair.

superthunderstingcar

I presume the last season wasn't pro-Tory/anti-Labour enough for BBC management, then?

Glebe

Couldn't be arsed with it for yonks.

Mortimer

Was/is Hugh Dennis there right until the end?

I don't know what it is about him but I have to change channel as soon as his face appears on anything anywhere.