Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:03:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mock the Week cancelled.

Started by TheQueensboroBridge, August 02, 2022, 03:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wonderful Butternut

I assume the terminally online right have already decided this is the wokeists' cancelling it because Frankie Boyle made a joke about Queer Eye for the Straight Guy on it more than a decade ago?

Mobius

Where the fuck am I supposed to hear Hugh Dennis repeatedly saying Shawoddywoddy in Jimmy Saville's voice now fuck sake

Petey Pate

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 02, 2022, 05:05:28 PMI did like Dara as host and he didnt mind a joke at himself.

I remember being very impressed by Dara's stand up when I saw him... over a decade ago. Since then I felt that Mock the Week was largely a waste of his talents.

sevendaughters

bottom tier crapshow, worst of the Dave fodder

somersetchris

Quote from: Mobius on August 02, 2022, 10:38:46 PMWhere the fuck am I supposed to hear Hugh Dennis repeatedly saying Shawoddywoddy in Jimmy Saville's voice now fuck sake

Find a time machine and go back 35 years to when he actually did that?

somersetchris

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on August 02, 2022, 09:51:30 PMI presume the last season wasn't pro-Tory/anti-Labour enough for BBC management, then?

It is surely a coincidence that that the government have put pressure on the BBC to be 'more patriotic' (i.e. less critical of them), put one of Boris's mates in charge, and then this and The Mash Report have both been cancelled.

But everyone here seems totally on board with that, so that's cool. What we need is fewer programmes that are critical of authority.

somersetchris

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 02, 2022, 04:17:42 PMThere came to be many landfill panel shows on telly but this and 8 Cats seemed to typify the genre. Coincidentally 2005 is the same year that youtube came out and I stopped watching terrestrial TV altogether.

So if you genuinely haven't watched television in 17 years you're not really in a position to criticise what's on it, are you?

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 02, 2022, 04:17:42 PMSo it was a testing ground for comedians, whoopdee-fucking-doo. So it's partly their fault there are 70 million comedians now.

Just to clarify, that on a comedy forum you are complaining that there are too many comedians.

Really it seems like a lot of people around here are just determined not to enjoy ANYTHING.

Cold Meat Platter

Mobius

Quote from: somersetchris on August 02, 2022, 10:50:11 PMFind a time machine and go back 35 years to when he actually did that?

Will do, thanks pal!

sevendaughters

ah come on Chris, this was the realm of satire that is cosy with power, courtly dances and gladhanding predictable jigsaw puzzle rent-a-jokes into a cyclical format. everyone here thinks comedy should hold power to account but MTW and their ilk do that as effectively as Ofwat.

Ferris

Quote from: Mobius on August 02, 2022, 10:38:46 PMWhere the fuck am I supposed to hear Hugh Dennis repeatedly saying Shawoddywoddy in Jimmy Saville's voice now fuck sake

We're getting the band back together in HS Art for one last try!

Quote from: Ferris on August 02, 2022, 06:59:14 PM...and that's to write the best damn script for the unloved standup panel show, and fast!

So far, I've got the bald one saying "when a mannn!" and maybe I'll spin that into a Daily Mail gag. I've also got Hugh Dennis saying "sha-waddy-waddy" in his Savile voice.

These are good starts and it's shaping up to be a cracler, but we need more!

kalowski

jobotic

Admittedly I haven't watched it for years, mainly because it was unwatchable, but I don't remember a lot of topical jokes. Just a reference to something in the news followed by lines from each shit comedian's act.

Was the Queen's lack of hot sex action ever in the news?

Live the idea that this challenged this establishment. Think the pressure on the BBC is about not reporting the news properly and regurgitating Tory lies and talking points as current affairs.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: somersetchris on August 02, 2022, 10:56:15 PMReally it seems like a lot of people around here are just determined not to enjoy ANYTHING.

You'll be receiving a letter from my solicitor.

Mobius

Quote from: Ferris on August 02, 2022, 11:22:04 PMWe're getting the band back together in HS Art for one last try!

Brilliant! Don't forget his "Have you been injured in an accident!?" joke.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 02, 2022, 09:22:51 PMThis definitely feels like a Simpsons thing, where a lot of opinions on the current state of the show (my own included) are actually based on episodes from about six years ago, because time is a prick.

And looking at wiki you're exactly right.  Rob Fucking Beckett every week was 2016.  I must have seen a lot of those episodes.

Goldentony

this has always been whooping cough rung shit, I remember whatever fucking year it was, before the Oklahoma Bombing, they aired Frankie Boyle telling the same joke two weeks in a row about having it off during a lightning storm and honestly the surge in hatred that filled me for just years threw me off my educaton and ability to form friendships for years, it is WITHOUT LIGHT

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Really it seems like a lot of people around here are just determined not to enjoy ANYTHING.
[/quote]

TBF,  you don't need a lot of determination not to enjoy " Mock The Week".
Have Hugh Dennis and Phil Jupitus set up a ( somewhat limited) support group?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Virgo76

Quote from: Goldentony on August 03, 2022, 04:03:44 AMthis has always been whooping cough rung shit, I remember whatever fucking year it was, before the Oklahoma Bombing, they aired Frankie Boyle telling the same joke two weeks in a row about having it off during a lightning storm and honestly the surge in hatred that filled me for just years threw me off my educaton and ability to form friendships for years, it is WITHOUT LIGHT
Are we still talking about Mock The Week? What does the Oklaholma bombing (1995) have to do with a dhow which only started in 2005?
Quite a lot of nonsense being spouted on here by people who've not watched it in years. It's had its ups and downs - it was particularly bad about ten years ago but was greatly improved by the increase in women appearing. Recent series have been fine.

lipsink

Anytime I turn on 'House of Games' it's always at the round where they have a picture of a celebrity and something else and the contestants have to guess "Ear Pierce Brosnan" or something. Is the whole show that?

Virgo76

Quote from: lipsink on August 03, 2022, 09:04:11 AMAnytime I turn on 'House of Games' it's always at the round where they have a picture of a celebrity and something else and the contestants have to guess "Ear Pierce Brosnan" or something. Is the whole show that?

Not really, no.

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: lipsink on August 03, 2022, 09:04:11 AMAnytime I turn on 'House of Games' it's always at the round where they have a picture of a celebrity and something else and the contestants have to guess "Ear Pierce Brosnan" or something. Is the whole show that?
No, but that is the final round of every show, making a constant mockery of Osman's claim that he "never" knows what the next round will be.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

You're thinking of Richard Osman's House of Game.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Mobius on August 02, 2022, 11:58:18 PMBrilliant! Don't forget his "Have you been injured in an accident!?" joke.

lol he was doing the 'advert voice' joke back in the Mary Whitehouse Experience days. I do find it perplexing how he's managed to eke out a career with so little.

Virgo76

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on August 03, 2022, 09:18:01 AMNo, but that is the final round of every show, making a constant mockery of Osman's claim that he "never" knows what the next round will be.

A bit of an odd thing to get annoyed about.

Joe Qunt

It used to be good, then they got all nice with each other and it felt like a sixth year drama class. Frankie Boyle, Ed Byrne and Gina Yashere were always my favourite.

Osman's a cunt by the way.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Joe Qunt on August 03, 2022, 09:38:53 AMIt used to be good, then they got all nice with each other and it felt like a sixth year drama class. Frankie Boyle, Ed Byrne and Gina Yashere were always my favourite.

Osman's a cunt by the way.

That can work in a different format, I started enjoying QI again when Sandi Toksvig took over because there was much more of an atmosphere of friends messing about and making each other laugh.

Still got bored of the format before long, but still.

Virgo76

Hugh Dennis is great.
So's Richard Osman really.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 03, 2022, 09:29:45 AMlol he was doing the 'advert voice' joke back in the Mary Whitehouse Experience days. I do find it perplexing how he's managed to eke out a career with so little.
Is the Now Show still going?