Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:38:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best introductions to songs

Started by Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead, July 29, 2022, 10:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sutin

The only right answer is Sweat Loaf.

buzby

Quote from: The Crumb on July 30, 2022, 04:53:45 PMJoy Division had the knack of a great intro. Disorder, Shadowplay, Heart and Soul, Atmosphere, Love Will Tear Us Apart immediately spring to mind.
See also the creeping bass and howling feedback of Exercise One, the growling menace and Ian's primal screaming of The Sound Of Music and the rumbling bass and synth joined by the exploding drums of Transmission.

The KLF's borrowing of an MC5 live intro for the Stadium House reworking of What Time Is Love? is also a cracker.

Joe Qunt

This sssstone cold classic comes to mind:

Video Game Fan 2000

Langdale

California Girls. It manages to simultaneously have everything and nothing to do with the song that follows.

SOMK

Off top of head not definitive list that's eaten up way too much of morning compiling...

Goodbye Horses: Q Lazarus
My Legendary Girl Friend: Pulp
Say Hello Wave Goodbye (12 inch): Soft Cell
Another Girl another planet: the Only Ones
I wanna be your dog: the Stooges
Reflections: The Supremes
Ego tripping out: Marvin Gaye
Fiesta: The Pouges
Our House: Madness
The 5th symphony: Beethoven
Blue Potential (orchestra version): Jeff Mills
Hypnotise: Biggie Smalls

Joe Qunt

TheMonk

The instrumental intro section to Behind The Lines by Genesis. When I was younger I was always a bit disappointed when the slower bit with the singing came in. Interesting that their last two tours opened with this but didn't bother with the singing bit.

Norton Canes

Yes I know this is the thread for best intros but I heard Belinda Carlisle's (We Want) The Same Thing on the radio the other day and thought, whose idea was it to put that utterly superfluous "Hey! Hey!" and drumbeats on before the glorious vocal, which would have served as a fantastic intro?

pupshaw

Quote from: Langdale on August 03, 2022, 11:39:21 AMCalifornia Girls. It manages to simultaneously have everything and nothing to do with the song that follows.

Also... Wouldn't It Be Nice. An intro to a song and to an album.

Deceptively apparently irrelevant thematically it crops up at the end of the middle section, which makes it a natural pickup. It also has a key change in the intro.

A distillation of Brian right at the beginning of one of the greatest albums ever.

jobotic

Here's the Stereolab (with NWW) one I forgot the title of. This era of this band was soo fucking good.

the science eel

Beefheart's got loads, mind. I think he had an INTRO GURU

Video Game Fan 2000

Attila

Loads of good things here, so I will add the extended version of Rasputin (which I think is technically another song, but I don't care)

and

Sing Sing Sing

Plaistow Patricia by Ian Dury and the Blockheads.

QDRPHNC

jobotic

In was going to agree that the only answer was Sweat Loaf until I remembered that the only answer is Strong Island

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Goldentony on July 30, 2022, 10:32:51 PMfeel like it's nearly impossible to make a bad song with the basic ingredients of a glam tune

The first Silverhead album will cure you of those thoughts.

I love the arrogance of starting your first album with this:

Arrogance in the best posible way. Shame the actual song's a bit meh.

dontpaintyourteeth

did anyone say I Wanna Be Your Dog

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: pupshaw on August 04, 2022, 08:11:33 AMAlso... Wouldn't It Be Nice. An intro to a song and to an album.

Deceptively apparently irrelevant thematically it crops up at the end of the middle section, which makes it a natural pickup. It also has a key change in the intro.

A distillation of Brian right at the beginning of one of the greatest albums ever.

Love when it comes up in that middle section. You can really hear how layered it is with everything going on and the excitement of knowing this is only the beginning and you've got the rest of the album to enjoy.

Video Game Fan 2000

Ladytron Roxy Music
Mother of Pearl Roxy Music
Do The Strand Roxy Music

they were good at this

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 09, 2022, 07:40:52 PMLadytron Roxy Music

The version they played in 1972 on the Old Grey Whistle Test also has one of the best endings.

Video Game Fan 2000

put that on as soon as i made the post

its so good

pupshaw

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 09, 2022, 07:40:52 PMDo The Strand Roxy Music

they were good at this

Was saving that one for my next post...

Anyway, fans of fade-in intros will appreciate Five Years. A great scene setter.

famethrowa

Quote from: pupshaw on August 09, 2022, 08:40:44 PMAnyway, fans of fade-in intros will appreciate Five Years. A great scene setter.

The first time I heard it was on the 1978 live album, and the fade in beat is really straight and simple and apocalyptic. But the Ziggy version has a bit more swing and shuffle, seemed a bit too cool?

bushwick

This is one of my favourite intros to one of my favourite UK dance tracks. I used to go mental to this. Classic bait-and-switch cheekiness as you're expecting "AT FIRST I WAS AFRAID, I WAS PETRIFIED" but you get an exciting AF rave riff instead: