Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:23:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mock the Week cancelled.

Started by TheQueensboroBridge, August 02, 2022, 03:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 03, 2022, 09:43:53 AMThat can work in a different format, I started enjoying QI again when Sandi Toksvig took over because there was much more of an atmosphere of friends messing about and making each other laugh.

Still got bored of the format before long, but still.

I saw a clip of a recent series and was stunned they were still using the same set-ups for Scenes We'd Like To See they were doing in 2008! Quare lazy if you ask me, far too shite for someone like Dara to be continually involved in.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 03, 2022, 09:52:57 AMIs the Now Show still going?
yes. Although small mercies Mitch Benn is very rarely allowed on it anymore

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 03, 2022, 09:43:53 AMI started enjoying QI again when Sandi Toksvig took over

Has it ever been addressed why they haven't had Stephen Fry as a guest?  It's an obvious thing to do and I'm sure many people were expecting it, but so far it's not happened.

And back to Mock The Week, did they ever point out that Dara looks like Gru from the Minions and get him to pose next to the photo?  They milked the shit out of Megabus man but I never saw them mention Gru.

lipsink

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on August 03, 2022, 09:18:01 AMNo, but that is the final round of every show, making a constant mockery of Osman's claim that he "never" knows what the next round will be.

It's a really silly round and seems like something Alan Partridge would come up with into his dictaphone. The contestants always look a bit embarrassed and it just seems hilarious given how seriously Osman and everyone take it.

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: Virgo76 on August 03, 2022, 09:36:23 AMA bit of an odd thing to get annoyed about.
I was just trying to make a joke while at the same time answering the question.

Virgo76

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on August 03, 2022, 10:57:55 AMHas it ever been addressed why they haven't had Stephen Fry as a guest?  It's an obvious thing to do and I'm sure many people were expecting it, but so far it's not happened.

And back to Mock The Week, did they ever point out that Dara looks like Gru from the Minions and get him to pose next to the photo?  They milked the shit out of Megabus man but I never saw them mention Gru.
I think they genuinely have done.

Virgo76

I guess Fry was too old and established to go on it even when it first started.

Snrub

Quote from: Virgo76 on August 03, 2022, 12:34:14 PMI guess Fry was too old and established to go on it even when it first started.

I think the question is why hasn't Fry gone back to QI as a guest. I would guess it probably is because he didn't want to undermine Sandi. I think enough time has passed now that it wouldnt be an issue. He's done the No Such Thing as a Fish pod with the QI elves, so I don't think it's bad blood. I'd assume he would come back for the final series, if they do still plan to end at Series Z.

Wouldn't have thought Mock the Week would have been his thing - I know he's done HIGNFY, but he said he would never go back to that as they didn't agree with them sacking Angus.

Ferris

Quote from: Mobius on August 02, 2022, 11:58:18 PMBrilliant! Don't forget his "Have you been injured in an accident!?" joke.

Fuck, completely missed that. I'll get some heads together in the writers room, see what we can knock up.

Virgo76

Quote from: Snrub on August 03, 2022, 12:45:09 PMI think the question is why hasn't Fry gone back to QI as a guest. I would guess it probably is because he didn't want to undermine Sandi. I think enough time has passed now that it wouldnt be an issue. He's done the No Such Thing as a Fish pod with the QI elves, so I don't think it's bad blood. I'd assume he would come back for the final series, if they do still plan to end at Series Z.

Wouldn't have thought Mock the Week would have been his thing - I know he's done HIGNFY, but he said he would never go back to that as they didn't agree with them sacking Angus.

Sorry - misread the post.

madhair60

Petey Pate

HI I'M ANDY PARSONS AND THE THING WITH BORIS JOHNSON IS, IS THAT HOW CAN YOU NOT REMEMBER GOING TO YOUR OWN PARTY? IT'S LIKE, I ALWAYS REMEMBER GOING TO MY BIRTHDAY PARTY, WHY DOESN'T THE PRIME MINISTER REMEMBER GOING TO HIS?

Hey Russell Howard here, Boris Johnson right? He's basically like a badger isn't he? Ooooh look at me, I'm a badger oooh.

Hi it's Frankie Boyle and Boris Johnson reminds me of a paedophile who rapes children with cancer.

Ferris

Quote from: Petey Pate on August 03, 2022, 03:55:09 PMHI I'M ANDY PARSONS AND THE THING WITH BORIS JOHNSON IS, IS THAT HOW CAN YOU NOT REMEMBER GOING TO YOUR OWN PARTY? IT'S LIKE, I ALWAYS REMEMBER GOING TO MY BIRTHDAY PARTY, WHY DOESN'T THE PRIME MINISTER REMEMBER GOING TO HIS?

Hey Russell Howard here, Boris Johnson right? He's basically like a badger isn't he? Ooooh look at me, I'm a badger oooh.

Hi it's Frankie Boyle and Boris Johnson reminds me of a paedophile who rapes children with cancer.

Mark Watson enters thread feverishly taking notes.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 03, 2022, 05:01:14 PMGina Yashere? Get out!!

No!! Mark Watson was good as well to be fair.

I remember Andy Parsons doing a SWLTS and literally saying "He's not the messiah..." and the fucking audience join in with him! Like a panto! Cunts!!! 

It's kind of nuts that this was commissioned as being a cooler/edgier successor to Have I Got New For You when that was considered to be on the way out, and now not only has HIGNFY somehow survived years beyond that point but has also now outlived it's own intended replacement.

I'm not sure I've ever actually sat through an entire episode of MTW, come to think of it. I've always associated it with a kind-of mean spirited blokey middle-of-the-road humour that just isn't appealing at all.

beanheadmcginty

Amazing that it's taken the Beeb 17 years to realise that this is unmitigated shite when I realised within 5 minutes of the first episode starting.

bigfatheart

I used to watch it all the time back in my teens, around the time it came on - it was weirdly formative for me, because to begin with it scratched that teenaged edgelord itch, up until the point where I started growing out of that and it became an irritating hatewatch and I gave up on it. That'd be around the point that Frankie Boyle dropped the pretence of being remotely satirical and was mostly focusing all his energy on pointlessly spiteful stuff about Rebecca Adlington every episode.

I later found out that the last episode I watched was actually the last episode he did, and whenever I came across an episode while going through the channels, it was pretty obvious it had become a different show after that - nicer, less of a bearpit, but still pretty dull. It'd probably be better for the world if it was HIGNFY being put out of its misery, but it's no great loss either way.

Worth noting that the BBC article on the cancellation links to this article, which seems to be trying (at least via the headline) to keep up the impression that it's an edgy, no-holds-barred bearpit, even though the only people quoted are Rory Bremner and Jo Brand, both of whom wouldn't have been near it in a decade at that point.

(Oh, and it was also important in my comedy-brain development because, being a bit naïve, it was the first panel show where it was really obvious to me how much bits of it were pre-planned. I think it was the fact that everyone had to do a bit of stand-up in the early days, even non-stand-ups like Hugh Dennis, David Mitchell or Clive Anderson, and I twigged that it was remarkable that they'd be able to adlib so quickly in a style of comedy they didn't even perform. Weird how it was a show that made the most of being improvisational that caused that revelation for me.)

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on August 03, 2022, 05:15:05 PMnot only has HIGNFY somehow survived years beyond that point but has also now outlived it's own intended replacement.

But it shouldn't have, should it?

Virgo76

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 03, 2022, 05:49:50 PMAmazing that it's taken the Beeb 17 years to realise that this is unmitigated shite when I realised within 5 minutes of the first episode starting.
I don't think that's what's happened somehow.

M-CORP

Quote from: Petey Pate on August 03, 2022, 03:55:09 PMHI I'M ANDY PARSONS AND THE THING WITH BORIS JOHNSON IS, IS THAT HOW CAN YOU NOT REMEMBER GOING TO YOUR OWN PARTY? IT'S LIKE, I ALWAYS REMEMBER GOING TO MY BIRTHDAY PARTY, WHY DOESN'T THE PRIME MINISTER REMEMBER GOING TO HIS?

Didn't think you could use cancer to rape children.

Desperate wordplay aside, Petey Pate's summarised Mock The Week pretty well here.

I do agree it might be harder for new stand-ups to get exposure unless the Beeb plays its cards right with the replacement - then again, I'm betting (metaphorically) that we end up with a new panel show that's basically Mock The Week in all but name.

Will be odd for it to not be there after 17 years - then again, there's the Dave repeats, so you'll hardly notice. Besides, 17 years is a long time, probably time for something else.

Mobius

Haha, all of those impressions are sublime. Brilliant.

edit - That one below is also fantastic!

Kankurette

Ray Travez

Quote from: somersetchris on August 02, 2022, 10:50:11 PMFind a time machine and go back 35 years to when he actually did that?

He was doing it up until the news broke- around ten years ago- and was showing no signs of stopping. The end of that tiresome impression might have been the one positive to come out of the whole thing.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on August 03, 2022, 05:15:05 PMnot only has HIGNFY somehow survived years beyond that point but has also now outlived it's own intended replacement.

It'll be doing laps of the garden to raise cash for hospitals next

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Kankurette on August 03, 2022, 10:13:10 PMI see McGowan and raise you the Ian Duncan Smiths.
Rxcellent. He's someone on here, isn't he - or am I misremembering?

Edit ^  that's a typo not a shit Scooby-Doo impression.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Mobius on August 03, 2022, 09:51:26 PMHaha, all of those impressions are sublime. Brilliant.

edit - That one below is also fantastic!

Shades of Mick Jagger with that Micky Flanagan, though.

non capisco

Quote from: Kankurette on August 03, 2022, 10:13:10 PMI see McGowan and raise you the Ian Duncan Smiths.

That five word Jo Brand impression is nearly as uncanny as Serafinowicz's Wogan. Love The Ian Duncan Smiths.