Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:39:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twilkes

A few nuggets in the recent blog - RHLSTP (or possibly podcasts in general) currently makes up the bulk of his income; a recent month had a million downloads for RHLSTP; and guests get a fee of £500 (assuming this is a flat fee and not dependent on who the guest is).

His blog continues to be probably the most revealing thing he does (hopefully not painfully so for his children as they get older, although judging by their current behaviour they are chips off the Cheddar block), and he also appeared as a guest on a dog-walking-chat-blog, which is an interesting listen: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/walking-the-dog-with-emily-dean/id1220510307?i=1000571076117

Vague threats of doing another standup show/tour again, wouldn't blame him if he didn't though.

gib

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 30, 2022, 10:03:07 PMFirst RHLSTP worth listening to in absolute aeons came out this week. Really enjoyable chat with Kunt from Kunt and the Gang. Comes across as a really sound, naturally funny bloke.

Yeah, that one really worked as an episode, they clicked instantly and were chatting like mates. Kunt is great, i love his low effort podcast 'Acceptable in the 80s'

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 01, 2022, 11:12:26 AMI'm not a subscriber and the whole article is showing for me.

The 'four series of Fist of Fun' bit is weird, but maybe it's the Telegraph sub combining the TMWRNJ series.

I liked

Yes this caught my eye, i guess it must be that. 13 eps in each run as i remember, so 2500 per episode. Not bad, but look at how much Sky were prepared to throw at him for just writing, not performing. Now we know why many top comedians were prepared to work for them, eye-watering money for something that was bound to be unmemorable in the future.

BeardFaceMan

I don't want to know how much David Baddiel got for Baddiel's Syndrome, I think it might make me cry.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 02, 2022, 12:07:20 AMYes this caught my eye, i guess it must be that. 13 eps in each run as i remember, so 2500 per episode. Not bad, but look at how much Sky were prepared to throw at him for just writing, not performing.

Another £750,000 for playing the postman.

markburgle

Quote from: Mobbd on August 01, 2022, 09:13:55 PM(£10k is more normal, many authors forced to accept as little as £200. He's mentioned elsewhere that he never makes the advance back for the publishers.)

The publisher might still end up in profit though, is that right? If his deal is he makes 50p per copy and the publishers taking is £2.50, he may not sell enough to pay back the advance at 50p per copy but the publisher might still end up in profit with their cut of it

Mobbd

Quote from: markburgle on August 03, 2022, 11:48:39 AMThe publisher might still end up in profit though, is that right? If his deal is he makes 50p per copy and the publishers taking is £2.50, he may not sell enough to pay back the advance at 50p per copy but the publisher might still end up in profit with their cut of it

That could be true! I am more used to a profit-sharing model but what you say is actually more traditional. Very fair point.

MrMrs

Quote from: Twilkes on August 01, 2022, 10:08:36 PMA few nuggets in the recent blog - RHLSTP (or possibly podcasts in general) currently makes up the bulk of his income; a recent month had a million downloads for RHLSTP; and guests get a fee of £500 (assuming this is a flat fee and not dependent on who the guest is).

His blog continues to be probably the most revealing thing he does (hopefully not painfully so for his children as they get older, although judging by their current behaviour they are chips off the Cheddar block),

Why, what have his kids been up to?

sutin

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 30, 2022, 10:03:07 PMFirst RHLSTP worth listening to in absolute aeons came out this week. Really enjoyable chat with Kunt from Kunt and the Gang. Comes across as a really sound, naturally funny bloke.

That was my favourite episode in ages. I still listen to every new RHLSTP, I find it comforting or something.

Twilkes

Quote from: MrMrs on August 03, 2022, 11:15:12 PMWhy, what have his kids been up to?

Lots of kid stuff - just meant that they probably won't turn into shrinking violets that will be embarrassed at having their father's (and to a lesser extent their own) inner and outer monologues broadcast in perpetuity on the internet. His daughter sometimes pops up in the Twitch of Fun trailers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikPlrMPiXbg.

I'm very unsure of people putting their children online when they're too young to realise the possible implications of it later in life - Katherine Ryan was notoriously protective of her daughter whereas some professional 'Youtube families' share pretty much everything in video format on a daily basis - but RH maybe has the balance right.

Mobbd

Today, Herring has made what he describes as "decent stand up observations on the posters of Edinburgh." But they're not decent. They're beyond shit. Or is it just me?

Quoteone of those posters was an advert outside Pizza Express for their new duck pizza. "Who let the ducks out?" was the strap line. Now not only is that a very poor pun - in fact barely a pun, but it doesn't work as a joke. But also in this instance it seems more like a terrible accusation. Because the ducks are now dead and on a pizza. Who let the ducks out? Because they're going to be in terrible trouble. The ducks have been shot and put on a pizza. We must find the people responsible.

and:

QuoteThe other was for a show called "The Anniversary" which is billed as "It's Mr Bean meets The Shining". But again this doesn't seem like a recommendation. Combining those films would actively spoil both of them. Adding horror to Mr Bean would mean it ceased to be funny and adding Mr Bean to The Shining would really take all the tension and fear out of the thing. I am tempted to make the film just to demonstrate how bad it would be, but it would take an awful lot of money to get the rights and have Atkinson on board and I don't think it would sell many tickets. But there's a new Emergency Question in it about which two art forms would be the worst ones to combine. Maybe everyone should be forced to watch some ducks be shot and then fed them on a pizza before going to see the film. Some Pizza Express product placement could help with the budget.

I think it's that he's on his seasoned comedian's high horse to diss other people's attempts at creativity that annoys me. But also that his observations aren't funny. Or really make much sense at all.

https://richardherring.com/warmingup/11/8/2022/index.html

bigfatheart

The second one feels a bit like the TMWRNJ bit about Lee Evans being 'Norman Wisdom on acid', only without any real effort put in to take it beyond the initial idea and actually make it funny.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, it seems that he made the "decent stand up observations" in the RHLSTP he did with Ed Gamble, so maybe the quoted bits are the gist, and the actual funny bits have been held back so as not to spoil them ahead of the podcast being released?

DrGreggles

Tim Key made a wonderful response to the Bean/Shining question today.

Virgo76

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on April 16, 2022, 03:18:35 AMIt's late and I can't sleep so here's an opinion I have that Terry Christian always looked more like Kevin Eldon than Stewart Lee. This is the absolute truth and if you disagree with me that counts as supporting Kier Starmer, sorry. edit : its not just the hair
Late response.
Kevin Eldon looks almost the same as Andrew Smith who was a minister in the last Labour government.

Stewart Lees work in progress show at the fringe had yet another funny dig at Herring.

To paraphrase as best I can:

Spoiler alert
During a section about 'what is stand up comedy?'

'So what is stand up? It's basically a conversation. A conversation that is completely one sided and where the other party is strongly discouraged from participating in any way. Like being a guest on a Richard Herring podcast'
[close]

BritishHobo

I would LOVE to see a version of The Shining with Mr. Bean as the one guest who arrives without realising they're closed for the winter.

cacciaguida

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 13, 2022, 12:39:43 AMTim Key made a wonderful response to the Bean/Shining question today.

Is this podcast readily available online? Or was it just live?

Mobbd

Quote from: cacciaguida on August 15, 2022, 09:57:55 PMIs this podcast readily available online? Or was it just live?

It'll be online eventually. In a few weeks is my understanding. It's in the pod tank.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on August 15, 2022, 12:09:28 PMStewart Lees work in progress show at the fringe had yet another funny dig at Herring.

Spoiler alert

'So what is stand up? It's basically a conversation. A conversation that is completely one sided and where the other party is strongly discouraged from participating in any way. Like being a guest on a Richard Herring podcast'
[close]
I was surprised to see Stew on GB News recently. Did he mention it?

Mobbd

Quote from: Mobbd on August 15, 2022, 11:41:17 PMIt'll be online eventually. In a few weeks is my understanding. It's in the pod tank.

Or less than that. He seems to be dropping three episodes a week, presumably by using the slots normally reserved for book club and retro. Just keep checking back. It'll be next week or early in the week after.

cacciaguida

Quote from: Mobbd on August 16, 2022, 01:07:23 PMOr less than that. He seems to be dropping three episodes a week, presumably by using the slots normally reserved for book club and retro. Just keep checking back. It'll be next week or early in the week after.

Thank you Mobbd

somersetchris

Quote from: bigfatheart on August 12, 2022, 06:14:02 PMThe second one feels a bit like the TMWRNJ bit about Lee Evans being 'Norman Wisdom on acid', only without any real effort put in to take it beyond the initial idea and actually make it funny.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, it seems that he made the "decent stand up observations" in the RHLSTP he did with Ed Gamble, so maybe the quoted bits are the gist, and the actual funny bits have been held back so as not to spoil them ahead of the podcast being released?

Also, it's a blog entry, he writes one every day. It's not material honed over many performances, it's just a thought that occurs to him that day. Let's not judge a daily blog by the standards of a standup routine.

SteveDave

Today's RHLSTP with Reece Shearsmith is 100mph out of the gates funny. Hello Reece if you're reading.

mjwilson

Quote from: SteveDave on September 14, 2022, 02:00:04 PMToday's RHLSTP with Reece Shearsmith is 100mph out of the gates funny. Hello Reece if you're reading.

Is there a good twist though?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: SteveDave on September 14, 2022, 02:00:04 PMToday's RHLSTP with Reece Shearsmith is 100mph out of the gates funny. Hello Reece if you're reading.

Spoiler alert
"Why don't you do a No. 9 bus?"

"Alright, cunt, what happens?"

Yep, Reece on reliably belligerent form right from the start.
[close]

SteveDave

DigForVictory

So funny.

It was as close as we're going to get to having Geoff from League of Gentlemen interviewed so I absolutely loved it from start to finish.

Hat FM

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on August 15, 2022, 12:09:28 PMStewart Lees work in progress show at the fringe had yet another funny dig at Herring.

Spoiler alert

[close]
he did this when i went to see him in kennington last night. i presumed it was off the cuff as he had a little chuckle to himself.

poo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 14, 2022, 11:01:02 PM
Spoiler alert
"Why don't you do a No. 9 bus?"

"Alright, cunt, what happens?"

Yep, Reece on reliably belligerent form right from the start.
[close]

One of the highlights of a great episode. RS is great isn't he. And ridiculously talented.