Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,454
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:27:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - the sixth (and final) season

Started by Blue Jam, February 24, 2021, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Two Headed Sex Beast on August 03, 2022, 05:39:47 PMIt's been enough to know the general context from basic pop culture awareness

I have seen Star Wars: A New Hope exactly twice but the second time it felt like every line of the script was familiar from t-shirt slogans and memes.

I remember when I first noticed a load of people suddenly wearing HEISENBERG t-shirts and wondering why people were wearing the name of a famous physicist over a scrawl of a man in a hat and sunglasses. Even if I had never watched BrBa I'd probably have figured out what that was about by now.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: elliszeroed on August 03, 2022, 03:00:20 PMI wonder how this season would play for someone who has never watched Breaking Bad.

If you had absolutely no knowledge of Breaking Bad at all you'd probably be confused as to why the two guys who make a one scene appearance in a dimly-lit van get a massive spin-off show.

But I think overall it'd work quite well. You'd have the backstory for a lot of characters already in place without having to wonder about and figure out their motivations. And BB wasn't overly heavy on exposition or giving introductions to characters, so it wouldn't be jarring in that way either.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on August 03, 2022, 06:00:25 PMIf you had absolutely no knowledge of Breaking Bad at all you'd probably be confused as to why the two guys who make a one scene appearance in a dimly-lit van get a massive spin-off show.

Hahaha. I wonder if anyone has watched all of Pearson and wondered why there's a massive spin-off show featuring that woman who married a prince.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Why was Aaron Paul doing that croaky voice? Is that his voice now?

Custard

Quote from: Ja'moke on August 03, 2022, 02:15:11 AMSame. That was a fantastic episode.

I'll be sad to say goodbye to the world of Breaking Bad/Saul. Unless there is another side character worthy of a spinoff??

Vince Gilligan said recently that there's at least one more story he'd like to tell in this universe, but it won't be soon as he's got a new unrelated series starting soon

NoSleep

Quote from: Custard on August 04, 2022, 01:16:31 AMVince Gilligan said recently that there's at least one more story he'd like to tell in this universe, but it won't be soon as he's got a new unrelated series starting soon

Gus' origin story?

Proactive

Got to be Gus I think. Mike is the only other significant character with with a compelling back story but I think we probably know enough about his origin story already.

buttgammon

The loose ends with Gus have always intrigued me: his relationship with his partner (can't remember the name) but also the roots in Chile. Pinochet has to be a factor one way or another.

That said, although I'm happy to suspend disbelief with things like a middle-aged Jesse in the last episode and Mike looking older than time itself, Giancarlo Esposito is realistically getting on a bit too much to play (relatively) young Gus and I'm not sure if I could see another actor in such an iconic role.

markburgle

These Gene episodes have given me the same feeling as El Camino, as if this time they shot the El Camino of BCS but just included it as a tag on the actual series.

That feeling being a kind of hollow, restless appeasement - of getting what you wished for and finding that the answers aren't as compelling as the questions. Even though the style, the wit and the depth are still there it's in the service of material that has you constantly asking yourself "Is that it?".

But maybe the last two will change that.

poo

Just rewatching s03e01. The Gene opening is the bit where the young kid runs past with some stolen DVDs and hides in the phone booth. The younger security guard from Nippy is one of the guards who makes the arrest on the guy. When Gene shouts "say nothing, get a lawyer" the younger guard calls Gene an "asshole". Brilliant continuity probably explaining why that guy was a bit colder on Gene initially with the cinnabon sweetener con!

Custard

Yeah, I'd love a Gus early years film or mini series. "Please Ring Fring", or something

Though on the other hand, I kinda like that parts of his life were never fully explored or explained. Maybe less is more, in his case

I must say, I too was surprised by how much Aaron Paul has aged, but what can ya do? He's 42. And speaking as a fellow 42 year old, I'm right there with him. Glad this show just credits the viewer to suspend disbelief and go with it, rather than slathering on de-aging effects which could end up being more distracting

Bob is saying
Spoiler alert
there's more Walt and Jesse in the last two episodes

https://screenrant.com/better-call-saul-season-6-walt-jesse-bob-odenkirk/

[close]

Rich Uncle Skeleton

NoSleep

Quote from: Christophe1981 on August 04, 2022, 09:28:04 AMJust rewatching s03e01. The Gene opening is the bit where the young kid runs past with some stolen DVDs and hides in the phone booth. The younger security guard from Nippy is one of the guards who makes the arrest on the guy. When Gene shouts "say nothing, get a lawyer" the younger guard calls Gene an "asshole". Brilliant continuity probably explaining why that guy was a bit colder on Gene initially with the cinnabon sweetener con!

They actually called back to that moment in the recent episode.

Quote from: NoSleep on August 04, 2022, 09:55:07 AMThey actually called back to that moment in the recent episode.

They did? Missed that! What was said?

NoSleep

The security guard made a snarky comment about it and Gene apologised (or made some excuse), as I recall.

Further universe story could be the shady contacts vet? Lots of intrigue and backstory to explore there

Petey Pate

Quote from: Custard on August 04, 2022, 09:47:18 AMBob is saying
Spoiler alert
there's more Walt and Jesse in the last two episodes

https://screenrant.com/better-call-saul-season-6-walt-jesse-bob-odenkirk/

[close]

Spoiler alert
Presumably they won't be appearing on screen together again - given the complications involved with them finding a time when both were available to shoot that scene in the last episode. Maybe we'll see more of the American Greed episode but with actors playing Walt and Jesse in re-enactments.
[close]

Custard

As much as I didn't really care if Walt and Jesse turned up in BCS or not, I was grinning ear to ear when they eventually did. As others have said, its the incredible chemistry between them. Even Jesse's "dick" to Walt could be seen as a bit fan-servicey in the wrong hands, but it made me laff as that's exactly what he would have said

Side note, but I find it heartwarming how much the cast of BB and BCS really love each other. They seem like a great bunch of lads and ladies

Oh, and does Bryan Cranston age anymore? He looked exactly the same! I guess the tash and hat helped, but wow. Bet he was glad they didn't have to dig out the El Camino bald cap again

Blue Jam

Teaser for the finale has leaked:

Apparently this is genuine and someone at AMC is in trouble :s

Custard

It's very spoilery, so I wouldn't. Even though I did

Blue Jam

I don't know, personally I think it's more misdirection. Also isn't that
Spoiler alert
the Suzuki Esteem
[close]
?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Custard on August 04, 2022, 10:52:09 AMSide note, but I find it heartwarming how much the cast of BB and BCS really love each other. They seem like a great bunch of lads and ladies

HUUUUUUUUUGGS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh1Qe0KyEXs

Awww, look how emotional the three of them are at the thought that they'd never be filming together again ;)

I too love the way Bryan'n'Aaron became besties, then Bob'n'Rhea became besties. And the way Vince Gilligan comes across as the nicest boss in the world and can't stop describing everyone as "wonderful" all the time. In a world where we keep hearing about the likes of Jeff Garlin and Jeffrey Tambor creeping people out it's heartening to see an ensemble cast who actually like each other.

Have anyone mentioned the bronze statues of Walt and Jesse being unveiled in Alburquerque yet? This is a lovely little BB/BCS get-together isn't it?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Custard on August 04, 2022, 10:52:09 AMAs much as I didn't really care if Walt and Jesse turned up in BCS or not, I was grinning ear to ear when they eventually did. As others have said, its the incredible chemistry between them. Even Jesse's "dick" to Walt could be seen as a bit fan-servicey in the wrong hands, but it made me laff as that's exactly what he would have said

Count me in as another of those sneery "I don't care if Walt and Jesse appear, ackshually" types, but I was the same. Loved seeing more of BB-era Saul doing his charming sleazeball thing too. Just seeing Cranston and Odenkirk acting together again was great, I can't decide which I think is the better actor, it's too close to call. Would love to see them co-star in something completely unrelated to BB.

Quote from: markburgle on August 04, 2022, 09:25:18 AMThese Gene episodes have given me the same feeling as El Camino, as if this time they shot the El Camino of BCS but just included it as a tag on the actual series.

That feeling being a kind of hollow, restless appeasement - of getting what you wished for and finding that the answers aren't as compelling as the questions. Even though the style, the wit and the depth are still there it's in the service of material that has you constantly asking yourself "Is that it?".

But maybe the last two will change that.

I've enjoyed the last two episodes but I am really not sure about Gene going heel. Drugging people with barbiturates (dangerously combined with alcohol), no longer drawing a line at innocent people who don't deserve scamming, actually being physically violent and punching holes in doors while Jimmy and Saul had no fighting skill whatsoever- I don't like Mean Gene. I guess I was just hoping to see a glimpse of the loveable rogue who charmed the pants off Kim, a sign that there's still a bit of Slippin' Jimmy that has survived in him and he isn't totally beyond redemption, but maybe that's not what the writers want. I trust them to stick the landing, but I'm not sure I like where this seems to be going at the moment. I'm hoping the ending is a big surprise.

Blue Jam

Someone has cleaned up the audio of Gene's phone conversation (in English)- spoilers:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgzlXZ7ATZu/

Spoiler alert
Looks like Gene and Kim may be plotting something here, or at least figuring out how best to get Gene out of the mess he's in
[close]

Inspector Norse

Been on holiday so couldn't start watching the new batch until this week, but going to chime in anyway with some thoughts that have probably already been thought by others:

Struggled with my hoots to give about Walt and Jesse turning up. I'm one of those who think BCS has long since surpassed the show that spawned it, and I thought that there wasn't quite enough plot served by having them there even if the scene was neatly handled. I think that the cancer patient "Viktor" was scamming reminded him of Walt, hence those flashbacks, and perhaps hence Gene getting even more determined to punish him as some kind of vicarious revenge on Walt.

The Gene Jimmy lives on his back going over to the dark side may not be what we want but there's been a sense as we've spent more time with him in all his incarnations that he's had less and less to lose and care about, and with no Chuck, Howard or Kim around there's nobody to put the moral brakes on him. Who knows what actually went down in the Kim call, but perhaps it pushed him to a new level of selfish desperation to get where he wants to be?

The cutaway with the grave felt too foreshadowy, no? I sensed a red herring, anyway.

Cinnabons just seem to be one of those American things that take something normal and European (the humble and delicious cinnamon roll and turn it into a way for private healthcare to make money.

Blue Jam

Did anyone else think the interior of the RV looked massive? It was like a methy TARDIS.

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 04, 2022, 03:37:18 PMSomeone has cleaned up the audio of Gene's phone conversation (in English)- spoilers:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgzlXZ7ATZu/

Spoiler alert
Looks like Gene and Kim may be plotting something here, or at least figuring out how best to get Gene out of the mess he's in
[close]

Spoiler alert
Doesn't sound like a first exchange does it, I think we get the phonecall from Kim's perspective next week but also see previous interaction/s leading up to it
[close]

Blue Jam

Quote from: Christophe1981 on August 04, 2022, 04:25:09 PM
Spoiler alert
Doesn't sound like a first exchange does it, I think we get the phonecall from Kim's perspective next week but also see previous interaction/s leading up to it
[close]

Spoiler alert
Nope, I think you're absolutely right there, sounds like they've been in regular contact.

I'm also assuming Kim's home phone and mobile are tapped, just as Francesca's phone is, so maybe that's why he's calling her at work. Why no burner phone though? I remember a shot of him giving Jeff and Buddy a burner phone each, looked just like the ones from CC Mobile.
[close]