Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tarantino Has A Podcast

Started by Keebleman, August 03, 2022, 04:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keebleman

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-video-archives-podcast-with-quentin-tarantino/id1627069896

QT and his old video store buddy Roger Avary (who won an Oscar essentially for just saying one day, "And then, hur hur, wouldn't it be cool if, hur hur, these hillbillies suddenly appeared from nowhere and tied them up and, hur hur, started buttfucking them?") have got together to talk about movies they have recently watched or rewatched on VHS.  I haven't listened to it yet but it sounds like it can't miss.

This month's Sight and Sound has a good interview with the pair of them, plus a feature about movie podcasts in general.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/news/sight-sound-september-2022-issue

Glebe

Quentin Tarantino Reveals His Pick For 'The Greatest Movie Ever Made'.

QuoteI think Jaws is the greatest movie ever made. Maybe not the greatest film. But it's the greatest movie ever made. And then there are other movies that can get in its rarefied air. But as far as a movie, there's no making it better than Jaws. There's no 'better' than Jaws. It is the best movie ever made. And it shows how badly timed most movies made before Jaws were.

What I meant by that, to one degree or another, is that Spielberg and a lot of his cohorts grew up seeing those kinds of movies in the theater. Henry Levin's Journey to Center of the Earth, he's gonna run to go and see that. Richard Fleischer's Fantastic Voyage. He's going to run and go see it. Gordon Douglas's Them! He's going to run and go see. Now... most of them weren't directed that well. They were assignments given to journeyman directors who did their best with them. That was how we were used to seeing comic book — that kind of movie experience. As opposed to a Spielberg, who was like, 'No, this is exactly the kind of movie he likes. This is exactly the kind of movies he was put on earth to make. And he's going to make it, within an inch of his life, as effective as it possibly can be. And, you know, Michael Anderson, isn't putting that kind of work in Logan's Run.

It's an absolute stonker, no doubt about it.

bgmnts

Let me tell you what Like A Virgin's about...

Famous Mortimer

I'm only surprised he's not got on this grift before now.

Butchers Blind

Sebastian Cobb

I've seen him talk about films as a one of many talking-heads in film documentaries, so don't think I'll be listening to him in pure undiluted form.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 03, 2022, 09:05:31 PMI've seen him talk about films as a one of many talking-heads in film documentaries, so don't think I'll be listening to him in pure undiluted form.

Yeah, even when I agree with him about a film, the way he speaks about it, and the sometimes patronising manner he has, means I'll never listen to a second of this by choice.*

*And if anyone kidnaps me and makes me listen to it, I won't be happy, I can tell you that.

Haha, yeah, being stuck in his private cinema listening to him talk about films made Fiona Apple quit cocaine :D

It's not something I'd actively subject myself to. He's alright in short bursts, but I'm guessing these will be marathon motor mouth sessions with nobody there to tell him when to go to bed.

touchingcloth

I bet his skills as a podcaster are right up there with those of his acting.

Mister Six

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 03, 2022, 06:33:57 PMI'm only surprised he's not got on this grift before now.

How is it a "grift"?

George White

Listening to it. It is entertaining, like with a lot of his podcast appearances, he does mangle people's names but he's dyslexic.
I also love that he seems to think Simon Callow and Nigel Hawthorne are the same guy when bearded.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 03, 2022, 11:22:16 PMYeah, even when I agree with him about a film, the way he speaks about it, and the sometimes patronising manner he has, means I'll never listen to a second of this by choice.*

*And if anyone kidnaps me and makes me listen to it, I won't be happy, I can tell you that.

On top of the above I try my best not to be superficial and am rarely bothered by how people dress but there's something that winds me up about seeing a 50-something man thinking he's cooler than cool wearing a fucking Kangol hat in the mid 2010's. It's more like when you're a kid and go round another mates for tea and their dad is trying to look cool and is wearing a cap backwards and just comes off as a desperate berk.

Replies From View

How can he now be in his 50s?  Was he 12 when he did Reservoir Dogs?

That would explain it, I suppose.

Chollis

Quote from: George White on August 04, 2022, 08:26:50 AMhe does mangle people's names but he's dyslexic.

yes! hope they play Stump The Buff

Joe Qunt

Don't get the Tarantino hate to be honest. Always enjoyed listening to him talk about the films and I've enjoyed most of his work too. I'll be sure to put this in my rotation.

George White

I did watch Delirium on his recommendation, having avoided it (like I have with some of the skeevier nasties).
Being American, he doesn't mention the fact that the main theme is the theme from Mastermind (being stock music, also crops up in another film QT likes - the Filipino Dr Moreau-alike The Twilight People, with cat-girl Pam Grier). 

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: George White on August 04, 2022, 08:26:50 AMhe does mangle people's names but he's dyslexic.

What's Mark Kermode's excuse?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I'm enjoying this so far. I assumed it would be unbearable, for the reasons outlined earlier in the thread, but Tarantino is fine, he just comes across as an enthusiastic, affable movie nerd. He's not particularly annoying at all.

That's presumably because he's chatting casually to a mate as opposed to showboating for an interviewer or Q&A audience.

I also like how, in episode two, the Bond film they decide to talk about is Moonraker of all things.

bgmnts

To be fair, even if it's scripted, anytime Tarantino is talking for a period of time it is fun. What's that scene in that film where he is analysing Top Gun as a homosexual film?

Sebastian Cobb

As much as I stated he's annoying and I don't exactly like listening to him I do admire his genuine enthusiasm. He was in Not Quite Hollywood, the Ozploitation documentary, but more importantly stumped up a fair bit of funding out of his own back pocket just to see the thing get made because he was into the genre and thought it was a story worth telling.

Quote from: George White on August 04, 2022, 08:26:50 AMI also love that he seems to think Simon Callow and Nigel Hawthorne are the same guy when bearded.

Just laughed out loud at that bit, he really does think they're the same person. "There's Nigel Hawthorne, the guy who dies in Four Weddings and a Funeral."

He says it with such conviction too. It's quite endearing really.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: bgmnts on August 04, 2022, 01:36:42 PMTo be fair, even if it's scripted, anytime Tarantino is talking for a period of time it is fun. What's that scene in that film where he is analysing Top Gun as a homosexual film?
"Sleep With Me", starring Eric Stoltz. Not a bad movie, but I'm not sure how it would hold up these days.

This podcast also serves as a reminder that Tarantino sounds exactly like Micky Dolenz.

Quote from: Mister Six on August 04, 2022, 12:04:54 AMHow is it a "grift"?

That comment confused me too. It's a freely available podcast hosted by a multimillionaire filmmaker who's presumably just doing it for fun. He's not conning anyone.

Paging Famous Mortimer for further clarification...

Mister Six

Cashing in on that big Squarespace dollar.

Use the offer code LICKTOES to get a 10 percent discount!

Staaamps Daaat Caaaaaam!

Christ, has Maron ever interviewed Tarantino on his show? That really would be unbearable.

George White

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 04, 2022, 02:50:21 PMJust laughed out loud at that bit, he really does think they're the same person. "There's Nigel Hawthorne, the guy who dies in Four Weddings and a Funeral."

He says it with such conviction too. It's quite endearing really.
It's like when your mam tells you with all conviction, 'Sheila Hancock was married to Tony' or that Mark Benton played Jack in Bread.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 04, 2022, 04:05:32 PMThat comment confused me too. It's a freely available podcast hosted by a multimillionaire filmmaker who's presumably just doing it for fun. He's not conning anyone.

Paging Famous Mortimer for further clarification...
I didn't mean it in the sense of conning, more from a Joe Rogan or Kevin Smith style of operation. Lots of ads, lots of opportunities to admire the sound of your own voice, relatively easy way to make money for someone with a large fanbase. I used the wrong word, evidently.

Custard

Cheers for the heads up on this, I really liked the first episode. I could listen to Tarantino talk about films for hours, myself. And the stories and nostalgia for their old video shop are heartwarming

That said, I found Avary's daughter a bit loud and annoying. Not sure it really needs her, but I get them wanting some "(wo)man on the street" perspective, and it's nice to hear a female voice in there too. I just found her a bit annoying, unfortunately

Will definitely be listening to more. Good stuff

non capisco

Loved the Empire podcast that the lantern jawed foot botherer did with Edgar Wright about old British films a couple of years ago so I'll give this a cautious shot and see how I get on with it. He can be a bit much sometimes, can't he, old Quentin Tarantino?