Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:23:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mock the Week cancelled.

Started by TheQueensboroBridge, August 02, 2022, 03:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Virgo76 on August 03, 2022, 08:24:13 PMI don't think that's what's happened somehow.

You're right, now I think about it I'm pretty sure it was less than 4 minutes.

Goldentony

who are these people to mock a week, the arrogance

idunnosomename

Quote from: non capisco on August 03, 2022, 10:52:16 PMThat five word Jo Brand impression is nearly as uncanny as Serafinowicz's Wogan. Love The Ian Duncan Smiths.
yeah i wonder if they do any comedy stuff other than Posting. they are very funny. but Posting is the lord's work so all the best

Quote from: Goldentony on August 04, 2022, 01:08:07 AMwho are these people to mock a week, the arrogance

Yes, like that pop group whose title told you to mock turtles.  What have turtles collectively done to be mocked?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on August 03, 2022, 05:15:05 PMIt's kind of nuts that this was commissioned as being a cooler/edgier successor to Have I Got New For You when that was considered to be on the way out, and now not only has HIGNFY somehow survived years beyond that point but has also now outlived it's own intended replacement.

I was in the audience for the pilot for Mock The Week (which lasted two and a half hours!) during which Frankie Boyle used the N word and Hugh Dennis reused a joke from The Mary Whitehouse Experience, but I've got to say I did enjoy the night even if it did go on for way too long, though that was partially due to it being certain that some jokes would never make the cut. I do remember Dan Patterson coming out at the beginning and selling the show as an updated "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", and promised that new, up and coming comedians who might be making their first tv appearance would be on the show every week, which may have been the case in the later years but I'm pretty sure it wasn't for the first few series.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 04, 2022, 12:17:48 AMYou're right, now I think about it I'm pretty sure it was less than 4 minutes.

Why so long?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

In reference to SMBH's post, I would imagine Hugh Dennis has reused MWHE more than once on that show,and I say this with confidence, despite not watching the show for fucking years. Also, what does Steve Punt do nowadays? How does he make a living? The last time I saw him onscreen was in that Holy Flying Circus thing.

Is Milton Jones the only decent half- decent comedian that appears on that show regularly?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 04, 2022, 01:55:24 PMAlso, what does Steve Punt do nowadays? How does he make a living? The last time I saw him onscreen was in that Holy Flying Circus thing.
Punt's still involved in the Now Show according to Radio 4. He also does bits of kids TV and gag-writing, and was in a production of the Rocky Horror Show a few years back to satisfy your sexual fantasies. Although his CV has been rather quiet for the past 5 years.

bigfatheart

Also used to be credited as 'programme associate', i.e. gag writer, for Mock the Week, and looking at IMDB still is.

DrGreggles

Punt was one of the writers on Horrible Histories

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 04, 2022, 01:55:24 PMAlso, what does Steve Punt do nowadays? How does he make a living? 

These days Steve chauffeurs delightful boating trips for tourists up Regent's Canal.

ProvanFan

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on August 04, 2022, 01:55:24 PMI would imagine Hugh Dennis has reused MWHE more than once on that show

Time for 'spin the wheel' and our first subject is... milk.

Glebe

Found it funny for a few years then completely lost interest. Amazed it's lasted this long.

Goldentony

anyone who didnt enjoy this show is a CUNT with SUSPICIOUS MOTIVES

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 04, 2022, 05:21:55 PMThese days Steve chauffeurs delightful boating trips for tourists up Regent's Canal.
Ships for Punt.

BritishHobo

Funny reaction from right-wing media in that they think the show was both too woke and toothless, but also too nasty and hateful (re: Frankie Boyle). Schrodinger's Mock The Week.

Ray Travez

Quote from: ProvanFan on August 04, 2022, 05:50:22 PMTime for 'spin the wheel' and our first subject is... milk.

People take the piss out of Dennis, but he's always there with a timely reminder that I'm paying too much for my car insurance

Fishfinger

Article dated today, so I assume the link hasn't been posted yet (I checked but may have missed it): Dara weighs in (insert joke here)

I think he makes good points, and I think he's sincere, for example I don't think I would've heard of or have been interested in seeing James Acaster had he not appeared on the show. If anything, it gave Stewart Lee minutes of material.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Fishfinger on August 06, 2022, 12:58:48 PMArticle dated today, so I assume the link hasn't been posted yet (I checked but may have missed it): Dara weighs in (insert joke here)

He doesn't even mention Cookdandbombd. What's the point in us carrying on?

Close it up, lights out

Fishfinger

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 06, 2022, 01:36:10 PMClose it up, lights out

Conflicted. I love closure, but I'm a big fan of photons.

bigfatheart

Quote...I remembered just how unfriendly some of the senior talent on the previous generation of panel shows (Never Mind the Buzzcocks and Have I Got News for You, in particular) were towards new comics...

I'm sure we can all work out which quaver-loving member of the Never Mind the Buzzcocks team would be a cunt, but it might be fun to speculate who out of Ian Hislop and Paul Merton would be more likely to have cunted it up to those they considered beneath them.

Spoiler alert
There's no way it won't have been Hislop.
[close]

superthunderstingcar

My money would be on Merton because Stewart Lee, who also had a bad time on HIGNFY, wrote in one of his footnotes in How I Escaped My Certain Fate, "It's probably worth pointing out that during my short-lived and misguided attempt to appear on TV comedy panel shows, in late 2006, Hislop was easily the most helpful and supportive person I encountered."

up_the_hampipe

I liked Dara's article, it was a reasonably argued. I still never fully got on with the show, though. Just the ratio of good and bad comics was always way off. Dara mentioned how much fun he found he had in the later years, and it definitely showed, but it made the show seem more like a bunch of mates throwing around banter and in-jokes, with little interest in the audience. I always felt like I'd missed something when they were all rolling around over a mildly amusing line.

Quote...I remembered just how unfriendly some of the senior talent on the previous generation of panel shows (Never Mind the Buzzcocks and Have I Got News for You, in particular) were towards new comics...

I remember when Dara was on Buzzcocks, he was quite shy compared to how he usually appears. To be fair, he was caught in the middle of Mark Lamarr and Fatman Scoop having a dick-swinging contest.