Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:10:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's the worst old comedy show on YouTube?

Started by Gurke and Hare, July 25, 2022, 09:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Blumf on August 01, 2022, 12:41:23 AMYus, My Dear, starring father of the millennium Arthur MUllard
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZGhb4y8Y9l20YVoWscq6i4yNSb4IeUUa

Astonishing he turned out to be a vicious thug nonce, You'd never have suspected it from his demeanour.

Quote from: jamiefairlie on August 01, 2022, 03:48:05 AMAstonishing he turned out to be a vicious thug nonce, You'd never have suspected it from his demeanour.

Hopefully radio stations have cancelled him and will never play his spoof of You're the One That I Want with Hilda Baker.  Mind you, they probably wouldn't play it anyway, because it's so dire.

Glebe

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on July 25, 2022, 11:43:34 PMIf we're talking really bad impressions and 70s cringe, how about Henry McGee as Kenny Everett, followed by Benny Hill and his pilgarlic sidekick in blackface being teased by Hot Gossip-style ladies, one dressed as a naughty schoolgirl.
You can tell even Benny Hill is getting old and out of ideas when he's reduced to parodying another Thames Television comedy show.

Here's Kenny tipping the hat to Benny - HORRIBLY RACIST CARICATURE WARNING:

There's no trace of '80s RTE canned laughter-fest Leave it to Mrs O' Brien on YT but if you're feeling brave you can watch a clip here.

George White

Leave it to Mrs. O'Brien was shown on some ITV regions. A friend from Devon watched it on TSW
A ex-friend remembers an ep where there were a parish boy who was obsessed with Street Hawk and Anna Manahan in a biker helmet and leather jacket had to pretend to be Rex Smith or something.

Andy147

Quote from: George White on July 27, 2022, 08:36:01 PMAnyone ever seen Freddie and Max? Utterly forgettable ITV dirge notable for being ITV"s most expensive sitcom simply cos it was created by Clement and LeFrenais as a vehicle for its star - Anne Bancroft.

I was reading a book by Clement and La Frenais the other day ("More Than Likely"), and it got a mention... all I remember them saying is that there was some issue with the audience laughing at the wrong bits, and that Anne Bancroft got distracted and didn't make a very good job of it... something like that, anyway.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on August 01, 2022, 09:47:26 PMLeave it to Mrs. O'Brien was shown on some ITV regions. A friend from Devon watched it on TSW
A ex-friend remembers an ep where there were a parish boy who was obsessed with Street Hawk and Anna Manahan in a biker helmet and leather jacket had to pretend to be Rex Smith or something.

'kin 'ell. Maybe it was part of some IRA strategy to use the media as a weapon.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Glebe on August 01, 2022, 03:58:19 PMHere's Kenny tipping the hat to Benny - HORRIBLY RACIST CARICATURE WARNING:

Thanks. Reminds me that I once tried to write a poem about Cleo Rocos but I couldn't for the life of me think of anything to rhyme with her name.

QuoteThere's no trace of '80s RTE canned laughter-fest Leave it to Mrs O' Brien on YT but if you're feeling brave you can watch a clip here.

Amazing. It's like they filmed the blocking rehearsal and broadcast that by mistake.
Those 'audience' chuckles when there's nothing funny happening1 are very odd.

1. I realise that doesn't really narrow it down

famethrowa

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 02, 2022, 01:17:14 AMThanks. Reminds me that I once tried to write a poem about Cleo Rocos but I couldn't for the life of me think of anything to rhyme with her name.

How you doin Cleo Rocos
I watched you but you're out of focus
I'd visit you in the Cocos (islands)
And help control the local locusts

etc etc

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: imitationleather on July 25, 2022, 10:08:33 PMQueenie's Castle

A truly diabolical Diana Dors vehicle. I couldn't finish this episode. Even the audience sound like they're dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2B53psAirQ

That's a Harry Enfield Scousers sketch with Yarkshire accents instead of Liverpool ones, 1/100th the energy, and stretched out to half an hour.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: famethrowa on August 02, 2022, 01:36:08 AMHow you doin Cleo Rocos
I watched you but you're out of focus
I'd visit you in the Cocos (islands)
And help control the local locusts

etc etc

No, the first syllable is a short 'o', like rockers. I just can't think of a rhyme appropriate to her.

O Cleo Rocos
You appeared with Kenny Everett who played Sid Snot and Gizzard Puke who were rockers
I like your tits

jamiefairlie

What about 'lovely knockos (knockers (tits))'

famethrowa

Oh Happy Band (BBC, 1980)

Dismally underwhelming Croft & Lloyd effort that was only notable for being the final on-screen performance of Harry Worth, not the audience was particularly bothered about that as it sank without trace after six episodes. Not to be confused with Sounding Brass (ITV, 1980)

Glebe

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 02, 2022, 01:17:14 AMAmazing. It's like they filmed the blocking rehearsal and broadcast that by mistake.
Those 'audience' chuckles when there's nothing funny happening1 are very odd.

1. I realise that doesn't really narrow it down

Even as a kid I knew there wasn't a real audience. Not that I ever watched a full episode, mind!

George White

RTE sitcoms with an audience are quite rare.
Did that sub-hot Metal/Drop the Dead Donkey one with Norman 'I was in Chimes at Midnight/Mother Night/Who Dares Wins!" Rodway

Something well haunto about Oh Happy Band. It looks like every other David Croft hit sitcom, but it wasn't.

Video Game Fan 2000

"Brass band rehearsing" is one of the most unavoidably irritating and abrasive sounds so its surprising a veteran producer with such a knack for broad appeal would want to pitch a sitcom to it. Hearing the recognisable part of Entry of the Toreadors played wrong four times in the opening five minutes, fffffffuckkkk offffff. And they can't really do the Dads Army line up of local characters when everyones gob is behind a piece of metal thats a dozen times louder than they are. Dad's Army wouldn't have worked so well if they were all constantly firing their guns in the air

Something decidedly Barker-esque about Worth's performance. He's well before my time but I thought his thing was more put-upon genial eccentric, loveable weirdo type, than local authority figure. Shouldn't he be the funny one and not the leader?

Gurke and Hare

It annoys me more than it should that they have Rene saying "Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once." At least have the right impression doing the right catchphrases ffs.

Brundle-Fly

Late eighties U.S. sitcom that's like Mork & Mindy meets Bewitched or I Dream Of Jeanie meets My Favourite Martian. You get the idea. I wonder if this was the inspiration for The Simpsons 'Troy McClure'?

George White

Troy McClure IIRC was a combination of Doug McClure (see above) and Troy Donahue.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on August 02, 2022, 01:44:10 AMThat's a Harry Enfield Scousers sketch with Yarkshire accents instead of Liverpool ones, 1/100th the energy, and stretched out to half an hour.

And if you want the same but keeping the Liverpool accent, there's always Bread.

Gurke and Hare

And the shits keep coming!

Thankfully no blackface here, but the homophobia is heavy even for 80s ITV sketch comedy. Comments about the PC brigade present and correct.

kalowski

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 08, 2022, 03:32:59 PMAnd the shits keep coming!

Thankfully no blackface here, but the homophobia is heavy even for 80s ITV sketch comedy. Comments about the PC brigade present and correct.
Yeah, that's terrible, but thankfully there's their brilliant Savile impression in the middle of it. Didn't that guy do the Savile voice for the recent documentary?

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: kalowski on August 09, 2022, 07:56:04 AMYeah, that's terrible, but thankfully there's their brilliant Savile impression in the middle of it. Didn't that guy do the Savile voice for the recent documentary?
Yes, Robin Colvill. Savile turned up in one of their TV shows disguised as Wilf 'Gasmask' Grimshaw alongside Colvill doing an impression of him, unless I dreamt it.

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

I may have to reappraise Revolver. A friend of mine coincidentally mentioned it yesterday and said he thought it was hilarious. I on the other hand watched an episode last week and thought it was the most singularly unfunny "comedy" I've ever seen. Maybe I just have a tin ear for these things.