Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:07:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster New Zealand / Misc International Versions

Started by Small Man Big Horse, December 02, 2020, 08:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The live tasks have been weak so far this series. This one had potential, so I was surprised when they called it a draw after the second round.

Thankfully the rest of it has been really good fun again. I'm liking everyone except Justine, though she's just a bit bland rather than actively annoying.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 28, 2022, 11:05:47 PMThe live tasks have been weak so far this series. This one had potential, so I was surprised when they called it a draw after the second round.

Thankfully the rest of it has been really good fun again. I'm liking everyone except Justine, though she's just a bit bland rather than actively annoying.

That's a clear case of sexism and ageism and I am shocked and appal-, and er, yeah, Justine's the one who hasn't been doing it for me that much either. She's had the odd funny moment (normally when failing a task badly) but doesn't offer much else to the series, or hasn't yet at least. Still, I really, really like the other four now, so it's not an issue at all.

Ja'moke

The team task this week was fantastic. That's one that Alex Horne should definitely pinch for Taskmaster UK.

The Lurker

To be honest, I thought that episode was the weakest of the series. However, it was saved by the live task which was brilliant and Chris who is a legend

selectivememory

I very much enjoyed Josh stumbling around and breaking things in the cow task.

Small Man Big Horse

It wasn't the best of the run but it wasn't the worst for me either, I really liked the making history task (even though a couple of them should have made more of the opportunity), though the touch the cow task and moving water ones weren't all that the participants made it fun to watch even if I wish they'd been a bit more inventive.

The Crumb

Enjoyable episode for me, even if not quite up to the standards of the last couple. I enjoyed seeing Jeremy nearly crack at Josh's unfortunate attempts to justify himself.

Even if the results weren't the funniest, I thought the throwing water was a great idea for a task, open to so many possible interpretation. No one checked the freezer!

I really enjoyed that one! I thought it was one of the strongest so far. This series isn't as constantly laugh-out-loud funny as the last one but I'm watching all of these with a grin on my face and each episode delivers a few big laughs.

I get the impression that Paul Ego is hardly New Zealand's most respected comedian but I like him a lot on this. It seems like he's having a whale of a time, which is always a good sign.

Boring observation: nearly all of the tasks have taken place outside, with only a few in the room with the portrait. Previous series have had the lab and a kitchen area, but there hasn't been any sign of those yet. I think I've said this before but I do prefer the location to the UK one as there's just more space for them to do stuff.

Ja'moke

I also thought that was one of the strongest of the season. Josh causing chaos wherever he goes and also chopping that woman mannequin in half again had me cracking up. I also think Jeremy has been funny this season after previously not adding much in the first two seasons.

Also, yeah, my first thought for the water task was to get an ice cube. Although I bet they made sure to remove any previously made ice cubes before the task started.

The Crumb

Still quite tickled by 'Maybe it's a man with tits'
'Mate, I'm right here!'

Sam Smith (NZ task writer) tweeted that the fortune trail task was one of Alex's favourite of the series, but I thought it was a bit underwhelming - it was just people flipping a coin. At least Josh made me laugh plenty during it.

Loved the other two main tasks though, especially Josh's superhero, Kura's Dr Dicksaver and Kura getting in the car for the pat Paul on the back task. That one was obviously a copy of the railway bridge one from UK series 8, but the addition of the zoomed-in camcorder made the edit really fun.

Still not feeling Justine at all, but the other four are a good laugh.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on August 11, 2022, 09:32:38 AMSam Smith (NZ task writer) tweeted that the fortune trail task was one of Alex's favourite of the series, but I thought it was a bit underwhelming - it was just people flipping a coin. At least Josh made me laugh plenty during it.

Loved the other two main tasks though, especially Josh's superhero, Kura's Dr Dicksaver and Kura getting in the car for the pat Paul on the back task. That one was obviously a copy of the railway bridge one from UK series 8, but the addition of the zoomed-in camcorder made the edit really fun.

Still not feeling Justine at all, but the other four are a good laugh.

The coin flipping was the weakest for me too, and always seemed set up to get them to be angry / frustrated, which is the kind of task I rarely like. I loved the rest of it though, the Superhero task was superb (and them calling Josh out on blackface really made me laugh), and the avoid Paul's gaze was edited perfectly so it just showed the plain daft bits 99% of the time. Wasn't won over by the live task, but that's so often the case with the UK show too.

And not wishing to pile on on the Justine front, but yeah, she just has a different sense of humour to me, and her Superhero was the only one which I thought was boring. Ah well, it wouldn't be Taskmaster if we liked all of the participants (apart from the first two NZ series!).

Ja'moke

Agreed that the coin flip task was the weakest. But the other two main tasks were great. Jeremy cracking up over Josh's superhero living in a pile of leaves made me laugh the most.

The money task in the newest episode was weird. I was expecting a second part later in the episode, but nope - that was it. Bizarre. At least a) it was really short and b) there was an extra task to make up for it.

Famous Mortimer

I'm an episode behind, but agreed on the coin flip one. I much prefer games which give them an opportunity to be funny, and aren't just a kind of homemade Krypton Factor.

The Lurker

Yeah, the money task was strange. However, the live task was good fun. As was the President one and
Spoiler alert
great to see the return of David
[close]

The Crumb

I wonder if they expected people to try more Paul style bullshitting in the money task. Maybe there was a hidden monopoly set somewhere.

Small Man Big Horse

I thought that was a superb episode, only slightly let down by the money task, but that's only due to the straightforward manner most of them approached it. Otherwise I loved all the rest, the enchanted forests were more "Make a terrifying pagan horror film" but made me laugh a lot, the Presidents film was very strong, and the live task was a great idea, even if Jeremy did score it poorly and Paul and Chris clearly should have won each round.

Also: For the next series I really hope they get Alice Sneddon taking part, I saw her as part of the improv group Snort and she was brilliant, and this (NSFW) video is really great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biFgA491UpQ

DrGreggles

Alice was on Snort the other night - Brynley Stent too.
Most TM contestants seem to be on their roster, like a NZ Avalon.

Small Man Big Horse

I reckon that was easily the best episode of the season, the
Spoiler alert
Doppelganger task alone
[close]
was one of my favourite ever tasks, but
Spoiler alert
the make a friend and then shoot the apple off of their heads
[close]
segments were really fun, Chris and Josh's efforts made the prize task worthwhile, and the only mildly okay one was
Spoiler alert
"Thank Paul"
[close]
. Otherwise they were all winners, and to top of it off the Live Task might be the best live task in the NZ series so far (though my memory is appalling and I can only remember about three others).

touchingcloth

What the fuck was with the gear stick on Josh's car?

Two gears with numbers (assuming a 1 is hidden by the stick), four with letters, all arranged in some mad Tetris block. The most entertaining thing I've seen all series.

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 24, 2022, 09:14:39 PMWhat the fuck was with the gear stick on Josh's car?

Two gears with numbers (assuming a 1 is hidden by the stick), four with letters, all arranged in some mad Tetris block. The most entertaining thing I've seen all series.

Fairly standard automatic gear stick. Park, Reverse, Neutral, two standard gears (1 & 2 - actually the hidden "1" is probably a "D" for Drive) and a Low drive gear.

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on August 24, 2022, 10:19:08 PMFairly standard automatic gear stick. Park, Reverse, Neutral, two standard gears (1 & 2 - actually the hidden "1" is probably a "D" for Drive) and a Low drive gear.

Why are they in a Tetris pattern? I always thought automatics went in a straight line from reverse to go.

g0m

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 24, 2022, 10:47:47 PMWhy are they in a Tetris pattern? I always thought automatics went in a straight line from reverse to go.

I assume to make it easier to change to a specific gear without looking

Wonderful episode. Up there with the very best from the previous series, I thought. Even the prize and live tasks were ten out of ten-ers (the live tasks in the first two series were usually pretty good, but they've generally been weak this time around).

The doppelgänger task had me howling, especially "Josh". Like the hidden outfit task from the first series and the Abe Lincoln one from the second, it felt exciting because it's just not the sort of thing they'd ever do in the UK version.

I liked the
Spoiler alert
thank Paul task because of the bait-and-switch with Kura's originally undetected "thanks". Though before that reveal I did think a better task would've been to make them stick all the non-tasks back in their original positions.
[close]

One of the funniest ever episodes and what are they talking about over on the Taskmaster subreddit? Yep, Jeremy's scoring. Weird place.

touchingcloth

Quote from: g0m on August 24, 2022, 11:04:27 PMI assume to make it easier to change to a specific gear without looking

Isn't the whole point of an automatic that you don't need to do this?

g0m

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 24, 2022, 11:36:11 PMIsn't the whole point of an automatic that you don't need to do this?

sometimes you gotta go in reverse

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on August 24, 2022, 11:05:10 PMOne of the funniest ever episodes and what are they talking about over on the Taskmaster subreddit? Yep, Jeremy's scoring. Weird place.

One of the funniest ever episodes and what are they talking about over on the Cook'd and Bomb'd forums? Yep, Josh's automatic transmission. Weird place.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on August 25, 2022, 10:15:32 AMOne of the funniest ever episodes and what are they talking about over on the Cook'd and Bomb'd forums? Yep, Josh's automatic transmission. Weird place.

Hehe. And back on topic - I really hope that one day Alex copies both the Doppleganger task and the live task for the UK show, he'd be crazy not to do so. Though I thought that about series 1's clothes task and its yet to happen so I probably shouldn't set my hopes too high.

Ja'moke

This season and cast has really grown on me. The last two episodes have been fantastic.