Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Athletico Mince

Started by Ron Superior, March 24, 2016, 07:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMrs

Just started listening to this again. Bob is lovely, Andy hasn't got funny.

What's the parsnip stuff?

The Culture Bunker

As a random aside, I saw Steve McClaren interviewed recently (he's back at Man United, coaching) and his hair island has grown somewhat. More of landmass now, really, comparatively speaking. Hope we find out what Casper makes of it, and indeed Steve's potential biggest destroy and exit yet.

Captain Crunch

Two Mince (related) events coming up this month:

Monday 24th October at Tyne Theatre.

QuoteJoin us for a very special evening with Middlesbrough-born comedian and author of the bestselling memoir And Away, Bob Mortimer, in celebration of his highly anticipated debut novel, The Satsuma Complex.
The Satsuma Complex is a hilarious and original novel, rich in Mortimer's unique brand of surreal whimsy. He will be talking about its cast of unforgettable characters in his own inimitable way, with fellow author Charlie Higson.
Tickets £24 including a signed copy of The Satsuma Complex
£27 for two tickets and one signed book (plus booking fee for online purchases)
NOTE: this is an "in conversation event" – no book signings will take place

He can't get his brass hand round that many sharpies these days.

https://www.tynetheatreandoperahouse.uk/events/the-satsuma-complex-bob-mortimer-in-conversation-with-charlie-higson/

Saturday 29th October at Pop Recs in Sunderland.

QuoteAn evening with Andy Dawson where he talks about the Athletico Mince podcast that he's done with Bob Mortimer since 2016, including some never=before-seen footage from Mince episodes and live shows. Q&A at the end, that sort of thing.
All proceeds go to Pop Recs Community Interest Company

https://www.musicglue.com/pop-recs-ltd/events/2022-10-29-athletico-mince-chitty-chatty-with-the-fatty-pop-recs-ltd

bgmnts

Quote from: MrMrs on August 04, 2022, 10:58:53 PMJust started listening to this again. Bob is lovely, Andy hasn't got funny.

What's the parsnip stuff?

Quite a few extra episodes, a lot of the compilations stuff you get early, and you get unident episodes.

sevendaughters

where can I find the 'I found it all in Sunderland' song, seems to have been yoinked from YouTube

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Listening to Vol. 1 of the Geordie Heat Collection, which is undoubtedly one of Bob's most inspired Mince confections. Petulant Mr Sting with his massive house and lute collection, constantly complaining to the police (not his old band) about nothing.

Like most great Mince bits, it's just lovely hearing how it develops. At the end of the first one, Andy says "that's a keeper". This latest bit of Bob absurdity has some potential.

Also, Andy has clearly never read any of Bob's scripts before performing them, they've just been sprung on him, so their corpsing adds to the abundant mirth.

When the pair of 'em are just giggling at each other, well that's quite nice, isn't it Andrew?

non capisco

Geordie Heat is definitely the freshest still-running Mince section thanks to the inspired reintroduction of the Stotts voice for Mr. Sting (yes, Mr. Sting) and his narcissistic lute odes. Although the bit during the most recent Parsnips compilation episode that made me feel like I was about to have an out of body experience on Waterloo Bridge through laughing was good old Steve McLaren and Casper, specifically when the snake bit his owner "right on the cock" and started singing "I'm horny, horny horny horny."

Magnum Valentino

I laughed until I wretched at a recent Geordie Heat when Mr Sting said "See that? See that? My Alexa has lost its mind. What am I meant to do with my life?".

That was a new experience.

Mr Trumpet

That bit a while ago with Steve McLaren and Martin from Homes Under the Hammer getting into a war of words was the funniest thing i've listened to in ages.

Magnum Valentino

It's amazing isn't it, the escalation of insults leaves me howling.

bgmnts

Lost interest in this I think sometime last year but very heartened Bob still going strong with the madness!

Ron Superior

I love how he can be so creative with his language and then sometimes just be so straightforward and blunt and it throws you for a loop, like the time the South African bloke just shouted at him "PUT THE CURRY BACK IN THE FREEZER YOU FAT CUNT!"

Magnum Valentino

He has said in the past he doesn't like swearing but it's so so funny when he does. In one of early JJ Shelvey 'vampire' sketches, when Bob was still playing him, he sees Bob's black pudding and says "you sound a right soft cunt - give it me and be on your way".

He really knows how to make an impact with blunt language. See the recent Mr. Sting with his hurried little "yacunt" sentence closers. Magic.

Sonny_Jim

Apologies if this has already been posted, but it's just brilliant

Always enjoy the JJ Shelvey 'Fuuucks sake' at 3:57

Povidone

JJ Shelvey from the Crime Files appearance (again, still Bob) when Neil Hunt makes the sign of the cross and his reaction is "Noooo not that fucking shape!" warps my mind every time.

The Bumlord

This is making it sound as if he does like swearing, if anything

Povidone

I don't know how you could listen to Athletico Mince and not come away thinking Bob derives unbridled joy from swearing.

Also just finished The Satsuma Complex and there's no shortage of swearies there.

So I think he might have just been taking the piss.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Yeah I rec
Quote from: Povidone on July 20, 2023, 01:47:56 AMI don't know how you could listen to Athletico Mince and not come away thinking Bob derives unbridled joy from swearing.

Also just finished The Satsuma Complex and there's no shortage of swearies there.

So I think he might have just been taking the piss.

Yeah I reckon so. I liked it when Paul Whitehouse called him out on it in their joint Adam Buxton podcast

Quote from: paraphrasing a bitBOB: I don't really like too much swearing in comedy...

PAUL: FUCKING GANGBANGERS YOU GOTTA FUCKING LOVE EM... no you don't, do you?

Kankurette

Have they introduced any new characters yet?

Magnum Valentino

Old Nehamkin

Peter, you spooky fucking doyle

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 20, 2023, 01:39:50 PMPeter, you spooky fucking doyle
Was it ever said if Mrs Beardsley was a Boro lass? Never heard it from Geordies before, always thought it more a Middlesbrough term - oft used by Teeside Tin-Tin, of course.

Kankurette

non capisco

I don't think there's been any new regular sections/characters added since Geordie Heat but Mr. Sting still creases me up every time. The reuse of the Stotts voice for a petulant imagining of Sting is somehow perfect.

Replies From View

I wonder if anyone has ever made a hobby of editing Andy out of Athletico Mince and uploading those edits to a google drive or somewhere.  I would listen to those instead of the official ones.

tinglingoxbow

That seems harsh. Andy isn't Bob but he's not that bad either.

beanheadmcginty

They release compilation episodes, most of which are pretty much that already.

Replies From View

Quote from: tinglingoxbow on July 27, 2023, 12:47:06 PMThat seems harsh. Andy isn't Bob but he's not that bad either.

Oh he is.  He needs to humbly suck up his role as straight man, because he has spent all this time straining to be funny and still can't get his head above the water.

Jittlebags

His Woy Hodgson and Slaughters' Waiter are pretty good though.

trabuch

Andy is the enabler. Without him there wouldn't be a mince, and for that he is forgiven.