Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:02:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tarantino Has A Podcast

Started by Keebleman, August 03, 2022, 04:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rack and peanut

They said podcast, he thought...

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 04, 2022, 08:31:43 PMI didn't mean it in the sense of conning, more from a Joe Rogan or Kevin Smith style of operation. Lots of ads, lots of opportunities to admire the sound of your own voice, relatively easy way to make money for someone with a large fanbase. I used the wrong word, evidently.

Ah, okay. It's of more use to Avary as a way of making some money, though. Tarantino isn't short of a few quid, he's probably just doing this to help out his mate (while enjoying talking at length about films).

Goldentony

is roger avary the one who accidentally killed an entire family or somthing mad EDIT it was a car crash and one person sorry im clearly thinking of someone similar but not him

beanheadmcginty

During the Roger Moore discussion they keep mentioning him starring in a film called "Folks" (or at least that's what it sounds like they're saying), and how that is their favourite Roger Moore film. WTF are they on about? There's no Roger Moore film called Folks or anything similar.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Goldentony on August 05, 2022, 07:09:34 PMis roger avary the one who accidentally killed an entire family or somthing mad EDIT it was a car crash and one person sorry im clearly thinking of someone similar but not him
Matthew Brodderick or Rebecca Gayheart or Caitlyn Kenner or Venus Williams?

Custard

Goldentony

I googled around and it's less dramatic than that because for some reason I was thinking of Robert Blake

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 05, 2022, 10:30:55 PMDuring the Roger Moore discussion they keep mentioning him starring in a film called "Folks" (or at least that's what it sounds like they're saying), and how that is their favourite Roger Moore film. WTF are they on about? There's no Roger Moore film called Folks or anything similar.

It's 'North Sea Hijack' - it's called 'ffolkes'in the US.

Keebleman

Just listened to the Moonraker/Firefox episode and enjoyed it quite a bit.  It sounds just the same as any of the gazillion other podcasts with nerdy guys talking about movies, except that one of these guys is one of the most successful and influential filmmakers of the last 30 years: it definitely gives his opinion more weight (and Avary himself of course has made movies; I thought Killing Zoe was actually pretty good).

I guess it's age, but Tarantino's voice has changed a lot.  Quite often I couldn't tell who was speaking from the sound of the voices, and had to infer who was who from how fast they were speaking.

I didn't find Gala particularly annoying.  On the face of it, it does seem rather redundant having her there but that's only because she isn't famous.  She obviously has a built-in rapport with the other two and I'm sure over time her presence will seem entirely natural.

Haven't listened to the section on Delirium yet cos QT and/or Avary are saying that the less you know about the film before seeing it the better, and it has been uploaded to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nHjygLuy_k

Keebleman

Quote from: Goldentony on August 05, 2022, 07:09:34 PMis roger avary the one who accidentally killed an entire family or somthing mad EDIT it was a car crash and one person sorry im clearly thinking of someone similar but not him

Eric Rad, author of The Hitcher and writer/director of an underrated road movie called Cohen and Tate, is another vehicular manslaughterer.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on August 06, 2022, 01:57:03 AMIt's 'North Sea Hijack' - it's called 'ffolkes'in the US.

Oh I see. What a bizarre title change. I wonder what the thinking was behind that decision.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Replies From View on August 04, 2022, 10:48:13 AMHow can he now be in his 50s?  Was he 12 when he did Reservoir Dogs?

That would explain it, I suppose.

Almost 60, tbf

I'd probably listen to this but I'd have Scorsese as my no 1 choice for a director podcaster. Could listen to that guy talk movies 24/7

Replies From View

14 when he made Reservoir Dogs then

Well that explains it at least!

phantom_power

Quote from: Keebleman on August 06, 2022, 10:29:56 AMEric Rad, author of The Hitcher and writer/director of an underrated road movie called Cohen and Tate, is another vehicular manslaughterer.

With the added gruesomeness of him trying to kill himself directly afterwards

Keebleman

I've watched Delirium now.  Total waste of time, amateurish garbage.  I'll still listen to the podcast but I will be far more sceptical about their recommendations.

Noodle Lizard

I've been taking the piss out of Tarantino for years, so how did I only just learn that he believes in past lives and "knows [he] was a black slave in America"?

George White

He's the Derek Acorah of filmmakers.
I wonder did he meet Sam (Fuller, probably) when he was a little black boy in Africa.

mr. logic

Quote from: Keebleman on August 08, 2022, 11:49:46 PMI've watched Delirium now.  Total waste of time, amateurish garbage.  I'll still listen to the podcast but I will be far more sceptical about their recommendations.

Yeah, I have absolutely no intention of watching any of these films. I would like them to go the We Hate Movies route and throw in the occasional big one to talk about. I understand that that is against the ethos but I frankly would find it more interesting and entertaining to hear Tarantino discuss, say, The Godfather 2

Glebe

Quentin Tarantino's Hot Take On The Indiana Jones Franchise Has Fans Up In Arms Online.

QuoteI like Crystal Skull more than the Sean Connery one. I don't like the Sean Connery one. I don't like (that) one at all. ... That's such a boring one. It's boring! And he's not an interesting character. The joke is made immediately. It's like Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot.

Okay it'd be a terrible world if everyone just agreed on everything but still, mate...

Custard

Yeah, to be fair, that's a honking opinion

George White

Avary and Tarantino also did an ep of the Pure Cinema Podcast discussing their Discoveries of 2021, where they talked about another film that like Delirium uses the Mastermind music (being library music) - THe Twilight People, a rather fun Filipino adap of the Island of Dr. Moreau with a literal bat-man, and cat-girl Pam Grier.

beanheadmcginty

Nothing against the girl on this as a person, but her intros and recaps make my teeth itch. Why are they there? Can't skip them quick enough.

popcorn

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 19, 2022, 11:31:57 AMNothing against the girl on this as a person, but her intros and recaps make my teeth itch. Why are they there? Can't skip them quick enough.

They're very Tarantino, you know that sort of faux-wholesome retro thing. Sort of like the intro to Kill Bill 2 with Uma Thurman talking to the audience.

Keebleman

I think she's pretty good (though I don't like her calling her Dad 'Roger').  She fits in well with them and sounds like she has formed her own opinions rather than having gleaned them from online reviews.

Leonard Maltin's podcast features his daughter very prominently and apparently she is really awful.  The near unanimity of this opinion means I haven't listened to it at all, which I appreciate is ironic given the previous paragraph.

George White

I did speak to Jessie Maltin once, to verify that the fake films in Maltin's guide (specifically the 1963 peplum Hell's Long Road) were fake and put in there as trap streets for plagiarists.

Mobbd

I have time for Tarantino. I like his films.

I listened to the Dark Star half of episode one though and wasn't thrilled by it. He didn't offer any particular insight as either a fan or a filmmaker. I basically learned that he hated it on release and likes it now. He keeps talking over Avery as well and failing to "yes and" in preference for bulldozing through with his own content-free noise. Not a great podcaster (yet!).

When the announcer girl joined them with her bit of Dark Star research, she wanted to talk about the film's influence but really only had Galaxy Quest up her sleeve, which I'd dispute as being influenced by Dark Star very much anyway. She chipped in with this non-nugget after it was announced that we were moving on to the second film discussion now. I guess I've been spoiled by some really great, professionally produced podcasts lately? But c'mon, QT, don't serve such mediocre crap. You're Quentin Tarantino! Put some effort in!

That's all I've listened to so far though. Maybe it gets better.

popcorn

Quote from: Mobbd on August 23, 2022, 03:13:47 PMI have time for Tarantino. I like his films.

I listened to the Dark Star half of episode one though and wasn't thrilled by it. He didn't offer any particular insight as either a fan or a filmmaker. I basically learned that he hated it on release and likes it now. He keeps talking over Avery as well and failing to "yes and" in preference for bulldozing through with his own content-free noise. Not a great podcaster (yet!).

Exactly my conclusion — a fantastic filmmaker but clearly not really a sympathetic conversationalist. It offers a glimpse into the kind of ego I think making films like Tarantino does probably necessitate.

Mobbd

Quote from: popcorn on August 23, 2022, 05:18:20 PMExactly my conclusion — a fantastic filmmaker but clearly not really a sympathetic conversationalist. It offers a glimpse into the kind of ego I think making films like Tarantino does probably necessitate.

Good point. I remember my wife opining that Steve Jobs being a prick to everyone wasn't worth it for iPods and whatnot. She might be right but I'd say QT being this way was absolutely worth it for his films now that you mention it. Let's see him as a "force of nature" more than a prick.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was the last film I saw in the cinema before lockdown. Perhaps exaggerated by its being in part a love letter to Hollywood's Golden Age, I felt quite dewy-eyed about not being able to "go to the pictures" in lockdown, even though I never went that often anyway. It was hot on the heels of a Tarantino season at home where I caught up with all the recent ones I'd missed (everything from Inglorious Basterds I think) and had been blown away by how much fun they are. I hope he squeezes another one or two out. Stop podcasting yourself, QT, and get back to work!

(I remember him being OK on Marc Maron that time but would have to relisten to compare it to these ones.)

I reckon I'll listen to more of these but probably only if I recognise one of the films. For higher-echelon analysis of marginal b-movie grot, I've got Best of the Worst on YouTube, with all the glorious clips and reactions and everything.

Keebleman

I don't think he's overbearing at all!  Yeah, he's very QT but Avery and even Gala don't sound even the slightest bit cowed and there's been at least one occasion where they have ganged up on him for some inconsistency. 

popcorn

Yeah that's true but it's more like the sense that it's two guys saying stuff independently of each other rather than bouncing off each other or building a conversation between them.