Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:58:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ONLINE CHALLENGES ATE MY HAMSTER

Started by touchingcloth, August 05, 2022, 05:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oggyraiding

Got some nice Platinum Jubilee merch, result!

greencalx

Like @JaDanketies I would be devastated if something like this happened to my child, but I wouldn't be going to the papers or the courts over it. My main experience of end-of-life care is with my mother who died of cancer just before the pandemic - there I felt if anything the decision to switch to purely palliative care came quite a bit further down the road than I was expecting.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JaDanketies on August 06, 2022, 08:40:20 AMas a parent, this is fucking grotesque and inexcusable. How many millions of parents lose a kid without squirting tonnes of donated blood over their corpse. I cannot emphasise with her at this point. It's obscene. Disrespectful to his body. I'm happy blaming this Christian cult for her mindset, but not her status as a parent. Other parents would like to distance themselves. Makes me feel sick to think of allowing my son to decompose above-ground. 

Are the chrizzos involved with this one, then? A couple of people have mentioned them in the thread, but I haven't seen that angle before.

BritishHobo

I really think the media should have made a grown-up decision a while ago to not give his mother airtime. The situation wouldn't seem half as omnipresent if they weren't ready, microphones proferred, to feverishly report every single thing she says in the thick of her grief. It's so deeply irresponsible of these absolute fucking ghoul cunts. Why is she being invited on chat shows, why is she being interviewed at all? She's breaking down in the middle of the single most devastating thing that will ever happen to her.

touchingcloth

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 06, 2022, 02:59:29 AMI had a similar experience last year, though my dog was 14 years old and was already suffering from senility and confusion that was getting worse by the month, so it was a little easier for me to let him go. The vet believed he might've been able to survive a few more months if he had an operation to reduce the swelling in his brain, but I elected to have him put to sleep instead. It hit hard, but I put into perspective what would be kinder for him rather than for me -- him clinging on for a few more weeks in what would be confusion and emotional pain and probably tremendous mental damage; knowing something was horribly wrong and different with himself regardless of whether or not he was in actual pain. Or him slipping away into what would seem like sleep, silently, in my arms, beloved and warm and comfortable.

Some good friends of mine have a very old dog who hasn't been walking great and has largely lost control of his bladder (but not bowels) in the past couple of months. They're really torn by the euthanasia idea for the same reasons as you but in reverse - the dog isn't in pain or distress, so putting him to sleep feels like it would really be benefitting them and their carpets rather than him. They're in a bizarre situation of wishing their dog would take some kind of turn for the worse, or at least give some unambiguous sign that he's either happy with his lot or suffering with pain and humiliation.

Rolf Lundgren

Only sympathy is with that poor boy who is being propped up by people with self interests.

Constantly going against medical advice and dragging heels to prolong his pain isn't the action of dutiful parents. This hospice move request just comes across as another way to delay things and cause more grief than necessary.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 06, 2022, 09:28:57 AMSome good friends of mine have a very old dog who hasn't been walking great and has largely lost control of his bladder (but not bowels) in the past couple of months. They're really torn by the euthanasia idea for the same reasons as you but in reverse - the dog isn't in pain or distress, so putting him to sleep feels like it would really be benefitting them and their carpets rather than him. They're in a bizarre situation of wishing their dog would take some kind of turn for the worse, or at least give some unambiguous sign that he's either happy with his lot or suffering with pain and humiliation.
My old boy had been on the decline for the preceding four months (though still mobile, seeing fine, hearing fine, healthy appetite) to the point where by Christmastime I knew he would die some time in 2022. The scenario above was the one I was dreading - trying to weigh up how many accidents count as incontinent, how lame counts as crippled, how many bad days vs how many good days. It requires you to be very cold and analytical about this creature that you love, and I don't judge any pet owner for how they handle that.

Kankurette

The whole Archie Battersbee case is Alfie Evans all over again. Mum is desperate, son is pretty much dead but she won't accept it and wangs on about hospitals murdering her baby, army of lunatic supporters get involved. I'm not sure if they're at the picketing the hospital stage but it must feel shit for other parents of dying children. As if their own kids don't matter.

And yes, the choke challenge is real - a friend of mine lost her brother because of it. He did it and accidentally hung himself.  This was a few years ago.

Alberon

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on August 06, 2022, 09:31:54 AMOnly sympathy is with that poor boy who is being propped up by people with self interests.

Constantly going against medical advice and dragging heels to prolong his pain isn't the action of dutiful parents. This hospice move request just comes across as another way to delay things and cause more grief than necessary.

Well, one good thing is he isn't in any pain. To be blunt, he's been dead for months.

Kankurette

Fuck the fundie Christians trying to give his parents hope. Again, this happened with Alfie Evans. He's gone. Pretending otherwise is cruel.

I do have a dog in the fight, sort of. It's not as horrible as what Alberon and partner went through - it was my dad. He had an aggressive brain tumour that did him in within months. I found out recently that he was offered treatment that would have prolonged his life, and this was when he was in the final stages, but my mum said no. She did the right thing. He was gone. The father I knew and loved wasn't coming back. Keeping him alive for a bit longer would have been pointless.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 06, 2022, 09:57:34 AMMy old boy had been on the decline for the preceding four months (though still mobile, seeing fine, hearing fine, healthy appetite) to the point where by Christmastime I knew he would die some time in 2022. The scenario above was the one I was dreading - trying to weigh up how many accidents count as incontinent, how lame counts as crippled, how many bad days vs how many good days. It requires you to be very cold and analytical about this creature that you love, and I don't judge any pet owner for how they handle that.

When it comes to dogs, there's also the question of whether incontinence even really matters. Our friend's dog seems to be either senile or just very much "arsed, mate" over the whole thing - a couple of years ago he's the kind of dog who would cower and whimper if he pissed in the house due to knowing that outside is the "proper" place, but these days he seems blissfully unaware that he's sloshing his stuff all over the house. I really hope my own boys either slip away gently of their own accord or make the euthanasia decision a simple one.

idunnosomename

Quote from: oggyraiding on August 06, 2022, 08:48:35 AM

christ that is exceptionally fucking ghoulish. Hello comatose child, maybe this minature flag and picture of a crone will wake you up

Starting to regret looking into this now as it is profoundly depressing

Zetetic

Have any cases of badly-animated dead children proven to be quite uplifting once you really get into them?

Butchers Blind

Fuck. Not to be horrible but they're just smiling for a photo opportunity with what is essentially a corpse.

This whole situation is desperate and certain sections of the media should be ashamed for exacerbating this horror show.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Butchers Blind on August 06, 2022, 11:49:20 AMFuck. Not to be horrible but they're just smiling for a photo opportunity with what is essentially a corpse.

This whole situation is desperate and certain sections of the media should be ashamed for exacerbating this horror show.
to be fair this is a few days before the doctors stated he was brainstem dead. But even if he was legit in a coma would still be weird

M-CORP

See, whenever I try going into hospitals to take photos smiling next to comatose patients... well, other people have made the point better than I have. Sure you all get the picture.

I can relate to other members here re the euthanasia argument, grew up with two Newfoundland dogs, both of whom ended up being put down. It was awful for me as a kid. I wasn't there in either situation. But I had seen them both deteriorate thanks to cancer and old age. My father tells me of the moment (dunno if it happened with both dogs) when the dog looked into his eyes with a face that read, 'Enough.'

Sorry to be a downer, but what I'm trying to say is by the time the second dog went, I accepted that sometimes stuff like this was for the best to end the pain and avoid delaying the inevitable.

There is a key difference between Archie Battersbee and Alfie Evans - the latter, according to doctors, could still feel pain before his life support was turned off IIRC. Doctors haven't said anything about Battersbee feeling pain, and presumably if you're braindead that isn't an issue (forgive me for sounding stupid here, biology was never my strongpoint).

So at least the parents don't seem to be prolonging his pain... but it's not a dignified death either. Also the hypocrisy of parents wanting to move him to a hospice despite it being too dangerous, when back in May they refused an MRI scan for exactly this reason. Then again, maybe they weren't ready to see the bleak picture.

But my view doesn't count. I don't know this child. I don't know the parents, so who am I to tell them callously that they must accept inevitable reality? They may be media whores, but I don't envy their position at all. I don't know if they expect Archie to just miraculously recover and walk out of hospital unaided... but of course you'd want to do anything for your child, especially if you felt guilty that your neglect had caused this in the first place, as I suspect the family do. The whole thing is very uncomfortable for me.

Kankurette

I think we can agree that posing with a child who's practically dead is super ghoulish.

My last cat got incontinent but that wasn't what made me realise he was dying, it was when he stopped eating. And when I plonked him down by his bowl and he was so weak he couldn't stand, the alarm bells went off. Dougie died on the way to the vet but if he'd still been alive when I got there, I know she'd have said that he needed to be put down. And I would have said yes because it would have been cruel to keep him alive.

greencalx

Similar experience with our old cat. She lost bladder control but mostly managed to wee in wipe-clean places. Then she got wobbly on her legs. We took her to the vet who thought she was on her way out but gave an injection to see if it would pep her up, and said we should come back for the inevitable if she didn't pick up in 3-4 days. Then fate did it's thing and she popped off quietly a couple of days later. Similarly, it was the fact she wouldn't leave her basket all day, eat or drink that signalled the end was nigh.

BritishHobo

That MP photo is just the most bizarre thing ever. Even if you were fully on board with the mother and her fight to keep Archie alive, it still looks absolutely wrong. Leaning over him and grinning - she's practically got her arms over the tubes and wires. What the fuck was she thinking?!

Flouncer

He's gone. I'm sure the press will be lining up to shove a mic in his mum's grill.

M-CORP

QuoteHis mother, Hollie Dance, said: "he fought right until the very end."

I don't really want to say the obvious.

H-O-W-L

They did a pretty ghastly interview minutes after his death, including one of them talking about how he "went blue" and that it was "barbaric" for them to switch him off. Very dignified. At least he's at rest now.

Alberon

I hope his parents can come to terms with it in time.

They can finally start to grieve.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 06, 2022, 11:25:25 AMchrist that is exceptionally fucking ghoulish. Hello comatose child, maybe this minature flag and picture of a crone will wake you up

Starting to regret looking into this now as it is profoundly depressing

Where's Major Tom in this boy's hour of need?

madhair60

Quote from: shoulders on August 05, 2022, 06:47:20 PMWhenever there's a 'we won't let the doctors switch OUR child off the life computer' every few years I'm always firmly 'PULL THE PLUG AND TELL THE DISTRESSED PARENTS TO FACE THE FUCKING FACTS' but were I in their position...

... I don't know how I'd react. It would be horrible to think I'd try and turn the medical community into an adversary, or that I would deny the clear evidence presented. But while they are technically respiring on Earth it'd be incredibly hard to let go in such a decisive, brutal way. I expect even more difficult with someone you've brought up who has their whole life ahead of them, about to become a proper person and that.

Finding out that my flesh and blood supported the Tories might swing it though. Might even press the button myself.

oh fuck off. you'd kill your own kid first chance you got, and gleefully.

dothestrand

Tragic situation but one that can be remorselessly exploited by the press and right wing Christians. There's something about this that sounds a bit off. There's a thing doing the rounds that points to the kid's troubled past, the mum's violent history and a few unfortunate accidents that have made the local and national press in the past. If you asked what was more likely in that scenario: that a kid would accidentally hang himself or deliberately do this, I'd say the latter. I think a few weeks will pass, some questions will be asked and then more, and then the press that was backing the mother will tear into her.

Icehaven

Quote from: dothestrand on August 06, 2022, 08:15:15 PMI think a few weeks will pass, some questions will be asked and then more, and then the press that was backing the mother will tear into her.

Absolutely this.

idunnosomename

there's so much publicly available about her the tabloids could simply unleash hell on her at at the drop of a hat. she even sent stuff directly to the press that could be used for a pearl-clutching attack. women have been attacked for a lot less from our media

even though she's an awful person I still hope they don't because she's still a mother who lost her child

Kankurette

At least he's at peace now, poor kid.