Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:50:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cost Of Living Crisis (COLC) - How fucked are ye?

Started by shoulders, August 04, 2022, 07:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Jasha

Quote from: Alberon on August 05, 2022, 11:03:32 PMThis is going to come to a head around Christmas and in many ways I think this will be worse than the Poll Tax protests.

January when those energy bills start landing on doormats, £100-120ish a month last year to nearer £300 in 12 months will have even the Mail readers marching on downing Street with their pitchforks and Zimmer frames.

On a side note the cost of firewood up pushing £100 a ton but I can see a lot of people looking to save on gas and using cheap second hand burners that haven't been flumed properly or worse chimneys that haven't been swept in donkeys years and a whole load of monoxide poisonings

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Alberon on August 05, 2022, 11:19:18 PMI wouldn't want to be in the restaurant business right now. Eating out less is an easy way to save money.

Friend was telling me a few days ago how he will have to close his framing business in a couple of months and find other work.  We've had a few restaurants close round here and more and more shops will follow. 

That Richard Murphy thread nails it in that this is a crisis of people not having enough money not having too much money, it's not circulating because essentials got expensive so not essentials that keep the economy going get reduced, putting people out of work and it compounds in on itself.

Our problem is we have too much money concentrated in too few hands.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Jasha on August 05, 2022, 11:22:20 PMOn a side note the cost of firewood up pushing £100 a ton but I can see a lot of people looking to save on gas and using cheap second hand burners that haven't been flumed properly or worse chimneys that haven't been swept in donkeys years and a whole load of monoxide poisonings

We kept the original victorian fireplace in the house and have an infinite supply of wood in the nature reserves and canals nearby.

Jasha

Unless it's seasoned you'll lose more energy to drying it out than it gives out in heat

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Jasha on August 05, 2022, 11:40:03 PMUnless it's seasoned you'll lose more energy to drying it out than it gives out in heat

I'm not going to be chopping down any trees there is loads of dead trees about that will work well but I have seasoning stack out the back anyway.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 05, 2022, 11:27:49 PMWe kept the original victorian fireplace in the house and have an infinite supply of wood in the nature reserves and canals nearby.

Cunts like you chopping down trees in nature reserves because there's an 'infinite supply' of them deserve to go into negative equity.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 05, 2022, 11:48:22 PMI'm not going to be chopping down any trees there is loads of dead trees about that will work well but I have seasoning stack out the back anyway.

There's more life in a dead tree than live tree. Raid the canal first then burn furniture, clothes, books in that order before the free dead trees lying around everywhere.

TrenterPercenter

I'm imagining each and every one of these replies in the voice of Swiss Tony.

Going to eat some Shreddies for breakfast any alphas or misanthropes able to tell me how I'm going to do it wrong and what the real tactics should be here?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on August 06, 2022, 03:09:36 AMCunts like you chopping down trees in nature reserves
Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 05, 2022, 11:48:22 PMI'm not going to be chopping down any trees

That was the plan but now I'm informed there is more life in dead things than live things so I'll probably just burn a load of cats.

shoulders

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 06, 2022, 08:49:27 AMI'm imagining each and every one of these replies in the voice of Swiss Tony.

Going to eat some Shreddies for breakfast any alphas or misanthropes able to tell me how I'm going to do it wrong and what the real tactics should be here?

I can't speak for everyone but I'd be surprised if I was the only person sick of you overrunning so many threads or wondering how someone your age can't see that's what you tend to do and why you can't moderate your contributions so that other people can have space to reply (figure 1 - review how this thread was going and how interesting it was to read other people's situations before you started banging on).

To wake up, open this thread and read you baiting people first thing in the morning because no-one is about to spar with you is very dispiriting and totally against what this thread should be about.

P.s - This isn't an invitation for dialogue. Your reply, be it here or on PMs won't be read or acknowledged. Treat it as an advice slip. 

TrenterPercenter

Tell you what I just wrote a whole reply to you @shoulders but I've been here before with you and I'm not going to let you try and use me to derail the thread so...

I'm sorry if my joke about Shreddies and Swiss Tony was perceived as "baiting people", it was just a joke and written with a smile, but apologies to anyone just incase it appeared that way, it was just a joke and nothing more.

Be nice if we could just talk about the cost of living crisis if we could.

PS - also I'm not really going to burn a load of cats just incase this was read in an angry voice also.

Icehaven

I'm anticipating a considerable rent increase if we still live in this house in March, largely because we've been looking at moving and there's absolutely nothing similar that isn't at least £100 a month more, or around the same price but a one bedroom flat instead of a two bed semi with a garden (which was why we moved here in the first place). We can barely afford it now so if it goes up by much it's back to flatsville, which would be shit in the extreme.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 06, 2022, 08:52:08 AMThat was the plan but now I'm informed there is more life in dead things than live things so I'll probably just burn a load of cats.

I thought you said you were going to use dead trees from nature reserves in the absence of a seasoning stack out back.

I was just pointing out that there's loads of life in and around those trees - moreso than when they are live - and they're often deliberately left because of that. It is a common problem that folk rock up and take felled or fallen trees as free wood from reserves - even when they rationalise it as doing the reserve a favour.

Not a cat person tbh so no opinions on that strategy.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Des Wigwam on August 06, 2022, 10:02:26 AMI thought you said you were going to use dead trees from nature reserves in the absence of a seasoning stack out back.

I was just pointing out that there's loads of life in and around those trees - moreso than when they are live - and they're often deliberately left because of that. It is a common problem that folk rock up and take felled or fallen trees as free wood from reserves - even when they rationalise it as doing the reserve a favour.

Not a cat person tbh so no opinions on that strategy.

Ah got you sorry I read it meaning dead trees had more combustable power (more live).  I was joking anyway I'm not actually going to do any of this anyway my fireplace doesn't provide any real heat. 

As mentioned in the thread my thing is buying electric blankets.

Just wanted to add another perspective to the house price discussion.  Everything being said so far is quite UK-centric, but the UK has a particularly extreme case of house price inflation, based (as far as I can see) on highly reduced supply due to lack of regulation on short-term / holiday lets, no penalties for second home ownership, encouraging buy-to-let as a "lifestyle", and other horrible right-wing fiscal and economic policies - as well, of course, as the fact that too few new homes are being built.

So when people say things like

Quote from: Ferris on August 05, 2022, 06:16:49 PMExpectations and valuation, combined with human psychology, are why house prices won't crash. They might hold steady for a decade or dip a percentage point of two, but because everyone has bought into the notion (for a generation) that house prices always go up, they pretty much always will because when a new couple go to buy a house, they have it in their mind that its about to rise in price so whatever they're being offered, it's a good deal. And the people buying the house next door think the same thing... etc.

that may well be true in the UK.  In Spain, "property as investment" is not a widespread mindset, because house prices aren't particularly guaranteed to grow, and definitely not in the disproportionate way they do in the UK.  Plenty of apartments around my area lost 30% of their value back in the late 2000s crisis, and never particularly recuperated (this is in fact probably the only reason I was able to buy, myself).  I think most "reasonable" people here consider the act of buying property as getting a home for life, and many live with their parents well into their late 20s or even beyond until they're able to afford the place they want to live in.  It's a very different mindset, which comes from the very different economic conditions here.  Many of the tourist areas, like Barcelona, which were suffering huge house price inflation, fixed the issue by requiring that AirBnBs / short term lets be licensed (where licences are limited in number, and costly).

Trenter's point about negative equity is still a big problem though.  Yes, if you never intend to sell, the theoretical value of a house is unimportant, but those who need to are royally fucked if their property has lost value in the market since they bought.  With the economic crisis wiping value from many properties here, there were people who lost everything because they couldn't keep up repayments after losing their jobs, and they were saddled with a mortgage which they had to keep on paying regardless while also having their home repossessed.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 06, 2022, 08:49:27 AMI'm imagining each and every one of these replies in the voice of Swiss Tony.

"tactics"

As winter deepens, the cowled figure of Trenter Percenter is spotted huddled round a wan flame emitted from smouldering Argos catalogues, a rabid fox snapping at his heels. "Vote Starmer" he croaks as I pass.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Darles Chickens on August 06, 2022, 10:15:35 AMTrenter's point about negative equity is still a big problem though.  Yes, if you never intend to sell, the theoretical value of a house is unimportant, but those who need to are royally fucked if their property has lost value in the market since they bought.  With the economic crisis wiping value from many properties here, there were people who lost everything because they couldn't keep up repayments after losing their jobs, and they were saddled with a mortgage which they had to keep on paying regardless while also having their home repossessed.

Thanks Darles, I just thought this was obvious and worth considering the impact.  I saw this loads of times on the frontline in services during the 2008 crash, lots of things get compounded in this situation.  I think people are underestimating what can happen to people, sure you can just stay in the house....if you can keep up the payments, don't lose your job, don't need to get divorced, don't become ill, don't have a dependent that becomes ill and you need to stop work etc....it's a very simplistic view to not consider these things.  That was all.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 06, 2022, 10:21:05 AM"tactics"

As winter deepens, the cowled figure of Trenter Percenter is spotted huddled round a wan flame emitted from smouldering Argos catalogues, a rabid fox snapping at his heels. "Vote Starmer" he croaks as I pass.

I like this, I really do : ) but your bully boy mate(?) has spoken so I don't think we can play this time Pig I'm afraid.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Icehaven on August 06, 2022, 10:01:26 AMI'm anticipating a considerable rent increase if we still live in this house in March, largely because we've been looking at moving and there's absolutely nothing similar that isn't at least £100 a month more, or around the same price but a one bedroom flat instead of a two bed semi with a garden (which was why we moved here in the first place). We can barely afford it now so if it goes up by much it's back to flatsville, which would be shit in the extreme.

Hmmm been trying to think about this, you are in Brum right? There can be quite a bit of variation in rents across the city I've found (you might need to just look in one area for work I suppose).  Good thing is you've got loads of time until March next year but we might also be in quite a bit of a different economic situation then.

Bernice

I think all homeowners should be chased into a pit full of pointy sticks and their land turned over to the dictatorship of the proletariat (me).

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Bernice on August 06, 2022, 10:43:19 AMI think all homeowners should be chased into a pit full of pointy sticks and their land turned over to the dictatorship of the proletariat (me).

And it is for this exact reason why I've installed a machine gun turret on the roof that is powered by properly seasoned eco-friendly canal drift wood.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Icehaven on August 06, 2022, 10:01:26 AMI'm anticipating a considerable rent increase if we still live in this house in March, largely because we've been looking at moving and there's absolutely nothing similar that isn't at least £100 a month more, or around the same price but a one bedroom flat instead of a two bed semi with a garden (which was why we moved here in the first place). We can barely afford it now so if it goes up by much it's back to flatsville, which would be shit in the extreme.

We're in a similarly precarious situation, very frustrating. Had been hoping to buy a house soon, but it feels like a goal that gets no closer. Stuck with the perpetual worry that A: current landlord will raise the rent or B: we'll end up having to move, which will almost definitely mean a rise in rent and also a chunk of savings going on fees and stuff.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 06, 2022, 10:50:09 AMAnd it is for this exact reason why I've installed a machine gun turret on the roof that is powered by properly seasoned eco-friendly canal drift wood.

Just coming here to post how important canal drift wood is for the native beaver population of Birmingham.

Bernice

Does anyone have any tips for beating despair? I'm struggling with finding the world very bleak at the moment and only seeing worse times ahead. I guess the obvious answer is to disengage from the news and focus on my life/finances/career and the small patch of the world I can effect (renters union, volunteering). I just seem pathologically incapable of not feeding the doom.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Bernice on August 06, 2022, 11:04:26 AMDoes anyone have any tips for beating despair? I'm struggling with finding the world very bleak at the moment and only seeing worse times ahead. I guess the obvious answer is to disengage from the news and focus on my life/finances/career and the small patch of the world I can effect (renters union, volunteering). I just seem pathologically incapable of not feeding the doom.

I've been just going for a walk, sat in the park watching the dogs run about...its the little things but yeah, disengage, then concentrate on you. Exercise and fresh air does wonders.

imitationleather

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Des Wigwam on August 06, 2022, 11:03:05 AMJust coming here to post how important canal drift wood is for the native beaver population of Birmingham.

Those beavers are notorious for voting Tory

Buelligan

Quote from: Bernice on August 06, 2022, 11:04:26 AMDoes anyone have any tips for beating despair? I'm struggling with finding the world very bleak at the moment and only seeing worse times ahead. I guess the obvious answer is to disengage from the news and focus on my life/finances/career and the small patch of the world I can effect (renters union, volunteering). I just seem pathologically incapable of not feeding the doom.

Heheh.  You know your answer.  For myself, I keep small beauties, a flower, a little lovely picture, some pretty beads in a small delightful dish, close to my bed.  When I wake, I look at them, think about their loveliness, then cast the mind wider to all the beauties around my bed.  It gives me a good starting point, hope, positivity, to armour from the cunts that tumble forth as soon as the door opens, to anchor me to hope.  Seems to work.

Poobum

Two years in to a uni course, being a middle aged mental who has never worked, the terror spikes that I'm throwing myself from miserable yet relative safety into utter chaos that will break me. I'm all soft and supple and have never had to grind at a miserable job to earn enough to not pay bills. Also just spent a horrible amount of money after being fucked by post Brexit visa issues, still, am going to Italy for three months on Monday, so if it really goes to shit while I'm away, claim asylum?