Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:50:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Viz Highlights

Started by Theremin, March 04, 2012, 10:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badaids

The latest Viz is a weird one. There are quite a few strips that just kind of end, without any punchline and another couple where the writing is just incredibly poor, first draft level. And then there is the Billy the Fish strip which has Star Wars in it - surely you have to licence or get permission to use the name and characters, seems unlikely that Disney would even allow it so will they get sued?

The last few issues it really feels like the guys have given up, or rushed a load of crap through because they couldn't be arsed.

Sonny_Jim

TBH that's good news to me, as I let my (international) subscription lapse.  I know it's COVID and all, but it was taking upwards of 6 months to get an issue, then some would just go missing.  I'd ring up, get it reordered but it would never show up.  I think in the end I got 8 issues out of the 10 I paid for.

The funny thing was they managed to send me a big posh 'Please carry on subscribing!' letter mere days after I let me subscription lapse....

Jittlebags

Then you'll be missing my profanisaurus definition for Full Stack Enginner that will surely be in the next issue.

Ferris

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on November 29, 2021, 08:31:40 AMTBH that's good news to me, as I let my (international) subscription lapse.  I know it's COVID and all, but it was taking upwards of 6 months to get an issue, then some would just go missing.  I'd ring up, get it reordered but it would never show up.  I think in the end I got 8 issues out of the 10 I paid for.

The funny thing was they managed to send me a big posh 'Please carry on subscribing!' letter mere days after I let me subscription lapse....

I had the same issue and let my sub lapse after I moved apartments - I like to think some baffled Canadian is still getting my missing back-copies of Viz and is baffled and/or very amused.

idunnosomename

Quote from: badaids on November 29, 2021, 07:07:33 AMThe latest Viz is a weird one. There are quite a few strips that just kind of end, without any punchline and another couple where the writing is just incredibly poor, first draft level. And then there is the Billy the Fish strip which has Star Wars in it - surely you have to licence or get permission to use the name and characters, seems unlikely that Disney would even allow it so will they get sued?

Not seen the latest issue, but you can use intellectal property under the protection of parody. Viz uses film characters all the time (e.g James Bond). If it misleads about whether its officially endorsed, might have a case. But it would be messy and probably not worth their while. I think Viz know what they're doing at this point

gib

Quote from: Morrison Lard on October 26, 2021, 11:04:23 AMI've not received one yet either. My account says it was sent on 14th October.

If you use Dennis Publishing subscription, you can apparently request a missing issue on their website.

I've now contacted them 4 times to request this issue and each time they say they will send another one out but it's still not turned up.

The xmas issue that came out in November has arrived but i've not looked at it yet as i have a tradition of saving it for the festive season.

Sonny_Jim

I like to think that all the people stuck on the cargo ships/planes go through the post they are carrying, seeking out the illicit cargo that is my copy of Viz.  They then liberate it from the thin envelope tomb, spreading joy by leaving it in the bogs for others to read.

iamcoop

Someone posted something on Twitter that looked remarkably Viz-esq but concerned me. It was one of those 'Come to WASP WORLD' type ads they do but focusing on Flat Roof pubs.

The writing was incredibly lazy, peppered with banal observations of the 'haha poor people drink in these sorts of places' type and just generally very unfunny.

I haven't read Viz for a while but whilst it looked exactly like their house style I simply had to come to the conclusion that it couldn't be from them given how shit and repetitive it was.

Can anyone confirm if indeed this is a Viz thing? I've been an avid reader until recently and I can't remember ever seeing it.

The great thing about their parodies of rough-around-the-edges working class culture is they're always bang on the money and done with more than a touch of affection. This just seemed snidey and rubbish.

Blumf

It rings a bell, might have been something else like TV Go Home or Framley Examiner, but could have been Viz. They're not always perfect, e.g. that Gypsy comic they did, and regretted.

Pauline Walnuts

This one?

No idea where its from, but I thought I'd save the time of everyone else looking for it.

idunnosomename

That's definitely from Viz, there's a photo of it in context on the letters page. it's not great but it's not egregiously bad

iamcoop

Well I put my foot through the comic and sent the bill to Mrs B of Essex.

beanheadmcginty

This thread has just reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask for ages: what is the origin of the references to Jack Straw MP having a micropenis that crop up regularly, usually in Profanisaurus?

Cold Meat Platter

I've often wondered myself. Similarly of the allusions to Stephen Pound MP 'packing heat'.

FiremanJim

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on November 30, 2021, 11:25:46 AMThis one?

No idea where its from, but I thought I'd save the time of everyone else looking for it.

As someone who spent a lot of time in such places as a child, I thought that was pretty funny. A bit hamfisted and poorly executed but a lot of the observations rang true. Loved the line about FRP's being burned down for insurance purposes especially

dissolute ocelot

It does have a couple of good lines (I would buy a polar bear cub) but it seems kind of lazy and lacking in real detail, from the names these sort of places have to the sort of characters you find. As though the person writing it hasn't really spent much time there. Whereas someone like Wil Hodgson could do you an hour of material on pub hard-men and nutters, make you laugh and make you cry. Surely there's a better joke to make about Race Nite as well.

Blumf

The pub name, "The Bloodied Fist", is a bit on the nose too.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on December 01, 2021, 10:24:34 AMWil Hodgson could do you an hour of material on pub hard-men and nutters, make you laugh and make you cry.

His routine about Walter the Softy returning to his hometown and ecountering Dennis the Menace as an adult is incredible.

Gulftastic

The J R Hartley spoof short got a big laugh from me.

Pauline Walnuts

That Male online felt very, I don't quite know the word, err.. Guardian Reader.

In the worst possible way. It certainly wasn't funny.

Sebastian Cobb

I liked the Frugal Sharkey one,
Spoiler alert
just for the fact his cousin Kevin turned up with 'The Art School Boys'
[close]

Sebastian Cobb

Quite liked the one about Fall insurance too.

ajsmith2

George Bestial is just too fucking bleak for me.

Jittlebags

Can just see Johnny Morris doing a voice-over for that. Whilst brushing up elephant dung.

idunnosomename

farmer/healey going a bit meta here

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 06, 2022, 09:29:42 PMfarmer/healey going a bit meta here

The absurdity of your man getting stabbed, and your one getting run over

madhair60

I run this little Viz twitter thing and I routinely come across some absolute gold that brings joy into my heart and this Gilbert Ratchet strip is one of them. I think I may have posted it before even, but it's worth it.

Kankurette

Was it Viz that had Benjamin Britten and His Embittered Bittern?

Gurke and Hare

Kankurette

I cackled at that Gilbert Ratchet strip.