Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:14:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ONLINE CHALLENGES ATE MY HAMSTER

Started by touchingcloth, August 05, 2022, 05:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: Kankurette on August 06, 2022, 09:39:06 PMAt least he's at peace now, poor kid.

He's been at peace a good long while, at least he's almost out of the news too.

Kankurette

True. What I meant is that he's not being artificially kept alive.

Alberon

I wouldn't call that even being kept alive.

Zero Gravitas

For all the dry details:

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Archie-Batteresbee-judgment-2-1.pdf
https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Barts-Health-Trust-v-Battersbee-judgment-150722-3.pdf
https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Dance-Battersbee-v-Barts-NHS-Trust-and-another.pdf
https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/FD22P00346-Battersbee-5-August-2022-Judgment-Final-Approved.pdf

The last has a very sorry rundown of what the boy's body was going through:

Quote from: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/FD22P00346-Battersbee-5-August-2022-Judgment-Final-Approved.pdf...set out here because they reveal the reality that every aspect of Archie's bodily function is maintained artificially through ventilatory support, chemical assistance and the physical care provided by the nurses.
This is a remarkable medical achievement but the moral and ethical challenges it creates are obvious. Archie's care requires the following:

• Standard treatment and care practiced in a neuro-intensive care with round the clock care provided by 1:1 and at times 2:1 nursing (heavily dependent)
  • Continuous and invasive monitoring to allow target of haemodynamic parameters (monitoring of blood pressure, heart rate and urine output and treatment targeted to keep them within a standard range known to be safe)
  • Oxygenation and carbon dioxide clearance by the ventilator (breathing machine) as he is unable to breathe for himself
  • Routine neuro-critical care respiratory management (standard patient positioning, turning, clearance of secretions by suctioning and physiotherapy of the chest)
  • Regular turning and care to prevent pressure areas developing and bed sores
  • Regular cleaning and changes to prevent skin breakdown
  • Support of the blood pressure with medications as needed
  • Treatment for chest, blood or other infection with antibiotics as required
  • Continuous Vasopressin administration to control water balance and salt balance within the body based on hourly urine output
  • Fluid boluses due to large uncontrolled urine output despite treatment as needed
  • Feeding via a tube into the stomach to give nutrition as tolerated
  • Loperamide treatment to slow down the passage of food through his gastrointestinal tract due to diarrhoea secondary to gut failure associated with brain failure
  • Administration of glucose to prevent low blood sugars as needed
  • Electrolyte disturbance corrections, particularly potassium, (body salts kept within a safe range by regular replacement)
  • Active warming to prevent the body getting too cold as needed
  • Steroid replacement and thyroid hormone replacement (hormone replacement needed due to brain damage)
  • Prophylactic treatment to prevent deep vein thrombosis (clots forming in blood vessels)

wrec

Can't help thinking about this case where an Irish woman was essentially kept as a cadaveric incubator for a foetus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PP_v._HSE
Both situations were grotesque and utterly inhumane, and the opposite of what anyone would wish for a loved one.

No sympathy for anyone besides the poor kid and the medical staff but the people in the media cynically capitalising on this deserve special contempt.

jobotic

There's huge threads on this on Tattle. Surprisingly sober and sensible. And thoroughly depressing. Cadaver is the word, he'd been dead a long time. Staff being demonised because they were uncomfortable dealing with him, as if it was because they couldn't be arsed.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: jobotic on August 06, 2022, 10:54:45 PMStaff being demonised because they were uncomfortable dealing with him, as if it was because they couldn't be arsed.

All indication is it's because the mother kept screaming about them wanting to harvest his organs and being "murderers". Which is frankly bollocks because his organs were long past usable months ago and if they really, really wanted to proper-kill the poor blighter it'd have happened loooong ago.

jobotic

just written a post but deleted it, it's all too hideous.

imitationleather

Sometimes I wish someone would unplug me.

Quote from: oggyraiding on August 06, 2022, 08:48:35 AM

Got some nice Platinum Jubilee merch, result!

Fucking hell, if that isn't the tackiest thing I've ever seen.

It's the sort of thing we'd make up in the desolation threads for a laugh.

"Your hospital bed is decorated with Union Jack's and bunting after you sleep through the Queen's Jubilee."

idunnosomename

Quote from: wrec on August 06, 2022, 10:45:36 PMcadaveric incubator for a foetus
new band name dropped. that no one would ever use because that's one of the worst things I've ever read

human life is undoubtedly exceptionally important to protect (and why war, austerity and general environmental destruction is bad) but we really need to accept the fact that sometimes people die and there's nothing you can do about it

wrec

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 06, 2022, 11:40:10 PMnew band name dropped. that no one would ever use because that's one of the worst things I've ever read

Humming the Carcass hit Cadaveric Incubator of Endoparasites as I speak!

Quotehuman life is undoubtedly exceptionally important to protect (and why war, austerity and general environmental destruction is bad) but we really need to accept the fact that sometimes people die and there's nothing you can do about it

I think almost everyone instinctively gets that though. My partner watched a younger family member being taken off life support, and while there was no question of recovery, it would have been unthinkable for anyone involved to have insisted on artificially prolonging their suffering (even if they're not conscious). Of course you have to go through the stages of grief but getting stuck in denial isn't usual, and you instinctively want your loved one to be at rest (euphemistic perhaps but describes the intent). A caveman would understand that. Beyond even being judgemental about it that Battersbee situation feels viscerally perverse and wrong, a violent indignity imposed on a person, essentially to maintain absurd religious fantasies and to avoid facing up to loss and grief.

steve98

DOC: That's it I'm afraid.
ALFIE'S MUM: You mean he's?
DOC: Yes, he's bottled it.
ALFIE'S MUM: You mean he?
DOC: Yes, he's quit; he didn't have the heart of a fighter and now he's given up, he's on the canvas, and he isn't getting up again.
ALFIE'S MUM: O Alfie, sweet Alfie..
DOC: Don't blame yourself, he was probably born that way: a quitter.

imitationleather

It's like... I desperately want to joke about the media circus around him, but I don't want to take the piss out of the dead child who is in the middle of it and is, even if he doesn't realise it, spoiling my fun.

Anyone else looking at it like this?

Zero Gravitas

I find it genuinely hard to find much funny, when all there was was those cocky glamour shots maybe, but seeing him as he was at the end it's just a tiny dead child and that'd echo through anything.
Something around his boiled-mince-for-dinner looking parents is hard they're obviously wracked with grief, hideously misinformed and wilfully mislead on top of being pig shit thick.
And any commentary on the universally vile coverage of what should have been a very private horrorshow goes without saying.

Kankurette

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 06, 2022, 10:55:50 PMAll indication is it's because the mother kept screaming about them wanting to harvest his organs and being "murderers". Which is frankly bollocks because his organs were long past usable months ago and if they really, really wanted to proper-kill the poor blighter it'd have happened loooong ago.
I know I should feel sad for her but shit like this makes it hard. Why would they harvest organs that don't work? And because of her, the staff will probably get death threats, all sorts. Because all kinds of thick twats believe doctors and nurses are all like Beverley Allitt.

shoulders

Quote from: oggyraiding on August 06, 2022, 08:48:35 AM

Got some nice Platinum Jubilee merch, result!

Fucking hell, an MP posing with a dead kid. Everything's a fucking photo op.

Quote from: Kankurette on August 07, 2022, 08:02:45 AMI know I should feel sad for her but shit like this makes it hard. Why would they harvest organs that don't work? And because of her, the staff will probably get death threats, all sorts. Because all kinds of thick twats believe doctors and nurses are all like Beverley Allitt.

Nah, I can't be angry. These are classic fundie tropes spouted verbatim by a radicalised victim too wracked with grief and guilt to realise she's being played.

The only people I'm angry with are the cunts that radicalised her and the media who've given her a platform.

kittens

Quote from: imitationleather on August 07, 2022, 03:59:49 AMIt's like... I desperately want to joke about the media circus around him, but I don't want to take the piss out of the dead child who is in the middle of it and is, even if he doesn't realise it, spoiling my fun.

Anyone else looking at it like this?

oh go on. make a joke about the boy. i wont tell a soul

greencalx

Reading that list of things they had to do keep the poor boy alive reminds me of my mum's last few days when they were doing less than a tenth of that. Even at that level it was something of a mercy once nature had taken its course. Again I get that it's different with a child, but most families dealing with the loss of a child do so quietly and privately, and not through the front pages of Britain's shitty press.

BlodwynPig

Quandary corner: which is worse, a nuclear blast obliterating a million faceless souls in a little known region somewhere far far away, or an MP's rictus grin atop the corpse of a dead child, decked with bunting and the picture of an animated corpse, responsible - indirectly - for that nuclear blast.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 07, 2022, 08:21:29 AMNah, I can't be angry. These are classic fundie tropes spouted verbatim by a radicalised victim too wracked with grief and guilt to realise she's being played.

The only people I'm angry with are the cunts that radicalised her and the media who've given her a platform.

Extremely hearty agreement to this.

idunnosomename

Quote from: kittens on August 07, 2022, 08:30:15 AMoh go on. make a joke about the boy. i wont tell a soul
hes just restin

beautiful plumage

elliszeroed

Ugh, that photo makes me ill and super sad to tears. I am looking at a politician smiling next to a dead child. I hope I never see that photo again. Will avoid this thread from now on, probably.

JaDanketies

Impressed by anyone who has been on the internet long enough to be on CaB and is not so jaded that they find the pictures mundane.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: imitationleather on August 06, 2022, 11:03:48 PMSometimes I wish someone would unplug me.

I'm probably the last one not having you on ignore so that's all CaB can offer.

Dex Sawash

Can someone provide an ignore walk through for me?

idunnosomename

Anna Firth tweeted about him again so obviously doesn't regret the photo op

https://twitter.com/Anna_Firth/status/1555949676993646594

Roasted in the qts for being a ghoul. Only 11 likes, one of which is from Caroline Farrow, the pigshit thick fundie Catholic who is friends with J.K. Rowling

God what a fucking mess this country is in

Alberon

Archie's parents are still going.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-62455467

They want an enquiry now to avoid any other parent being "stripped of their rights"

QuoteIn a statement released on Sunday, the family said the pressure of the process had been "unbelievable".

"We want something good to come out of this tragedy and the horrendous experience we have been put through by the system," they added.

"No parent or family must go through this again.

"We have been forced to fight a relentless legal battle by the hospital trust while faced with an unimaginable tragedy.

"We were backed into a corner by the system, stripped of all our rights, and have had to fight for Archie's real 'best interests' and right to live with everything stacked against us.

"This has now happened too often to parents who do not want their critically-ill children to have life-support removed.

"There must be an investigation and inquiry through the proper channels on what has happened to Archie, and we will be calling for change."

From one bereaved parent to another. Fuck right off.

touchingcloth

I want an inquiry into why my gran died of cancer. No family should have to go through this EVER AGAIN