Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,173
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:20:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan's Ongoing Transphobia: "The Father Ted Musical Was My Pension"

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, July 19, 2022, 10:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Shaftoe

ALL comedy writers have (occasional) writers block and a great fear of failure, but most choose to deal with it by either quitting or keeping going but whinging a lot. I think Glinner's just gone off on the deep end because he can't bear criticism and people not liking his episode with a trans woman in it was enough to send him off the deep end.

Alberon

I think what really did Linehan in was his internet addiction (and I appreciate this is very hypocritical coming from a person who hasn't been offline since 1995).

Being a famous person in the early years of Twitter was fatal. He started believing he was important.

Then he became aware of the trans arguments on Twitter and thought he'd spend a few hours correcting the lesser people. Fast forward a few years and here we are.

Kankurette

How is it a smear when it's literally something he wrote?

I don't get the asexual thing either. Hating asexuals because you're a transphobe is like me hating cucumbers because bananas are disgusting.

Elfking

If you're a transphobe chances are you hate anything that isn't "normal" and fits in your very narrow view of the world. Men are men, women are women and one gender dates the other. Anything that doesn't fit into that scares them.

Like... Julie Bindell is just a great example. She wrote that anti-tans piece Daily Mail article after the Lionesses won the Euros saying... Now she is shocked to find out that her transphobe allies are actually mostly also against the LGB parts of the spectrum as well.

https://twitter.com/benwritesthings/status/1555571816437088258

One of the problems these "moderate" (as they try to present themselves) transphobes has is that the people they have to get into bed with certainly aren't moderate. So many of the people they find themselves agreeing with are unabashedly far-right, racist, openly homophobic, etc. They just have enough cognitive dissonance to not put two and two together and realise they've fallen into the same rabbit hole and are now parroting the far-right.

It is not a coincidence that transphobes insult du jour is the same insult levelled at gay people for a long time.

Mister Six

Quote from: Elfking on August 06, 2022, 01:58:41 AMOne of the problems these "moderate" (as they try to present themselves) transphobes has is that the people they have to get into bed with certainly aren't moderate.

Ironic, for a woman who's promoted political lesbianism.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Alberon on August 05, 2022, 11:12:06 PMI think what really did Linehan in was his internet addiction (and I appreciate this is very hypocritical coming from a person who hasn't been offline since 1995).

Being a famous person in the early years of Twitter was fatal. He started believing he was important.

Then he became aware of the trans arguments on Twitter and thought he'd spend a few hours correcting the lesser people. Fast forward a few years and here we are.

Yes and no. I'd liken it more to a double edged sword. If you were an early adopter of Twitter and stayed moderate you could absolutely get a career out of it.

At one point Glinner was hosting HIGNFY and getting opportunities that being a writer alone wouldn't get him.

The problem is he became addicted and didn't just treat it like a career springboard.

A counter example to Glinner would be someone like Rob Delaney (embarrassing talk show stand up bombing aside). He absolutely wouldn't have the career he has if he didn't adopt Twitter early on. The trick is he never drank the undiluted banana milkshake and only used it for his career.

lazyhour

Lia Thomas finishes 8th in 100-yard freestyle, final race of collegiate swimming career

Can't wait to hear Glimmer and co taking about this. Oh wait, they won't, because they can't use somebody coming in 8th as a way to bash trans people.

Pimhole

Quote from: Elfking on August 06, 2022, 01:58:41 AMLike... Julie Bindell is just a great example. She wrote that anti-tans piece Daily Mail article after the Lionesses won the Euros

That was Burchill, not Bindell. Bindell's still a massive hypocrite as you described, though. Palling around with the Heritage Foundation should = STFU forever.

It would be funny how often people get the Julies mixed up if it didn't remind me that we somehow have two of them.

Kankurette

Burchill did experiment with lesbianism for a bit but ultimately she's a homophobe. I don't think she's bothered that her allies don't like the gays.

fancywookiee

Quote from: lazyhour on August 06, 2022, 10:00:12 AMLia Thomas finishes 8th in 100-yard freestyle, final race of collegiate swimming career

Can't wait to hear Glimmer and co taking about this. Oh wait, they won't, because they can't use somebody coming in 8th as a way to bash trans people.

Oh, no they still do. If a trans athlete doesn't "dominate the competition" they're "hiding their true ability" to lull people into a false sense of security so that people will be more accepting of the fairness of them competing.

Again back to the enemy being so strong that they are on the brink of total domination but also so weak that they can't hope to stop the movement of the righteous...

FalknerHinton

It's Brighton Pride this weekend, so expect at least one edgy dickhead to turn up in LGB Alliance gear hoping to be thrown out and then whining when they get exactly what they wanted. Followed by the inevitable SGB post about how Pride is somehow homophobic, written by the straightest man alive.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: FalknerHinton on August 06, 2022, 11:17:39 AMIt's Brighton Pride this weekend, so expect at least one edgy dickhead to turn up in LGB Alliance gear hoping to be thrown out and then whining when they get exactly what they wanted. Followed by the inevitable SGB post about how Pride is somehow homophobic, written by the straightest man alive.

heading out there in a mo! wishing very much for no transphobes

we actually had one of them anti drag story time mobs outside the library this very week. a lavley bunch

FalknerHinton

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on August 06, 2022, 11:33:23 AMheading out there in a mo! wishing very much for no transphobes

we actually had one of them anti drag story time mobs outside the library this very week. a lavley bunch

Have a fantastic time, it certainly looks like you've got the weather for it!

somersetchris

Quote from: FalknerHinton on August 06, 2022, 11:17:39 AMFollowed by the inevitable SGB post about how Pride is somehow homophobic, written by the straightest man alive.

Jordan Peterson's already made a video about 'remember when Pride was a sin' while also bashing trans people, so he can just post that. Save him actually writing anything.

wrec

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on August 06, 2022, 08:54:13 AMAt one point Glinner was hosting HIGNFY and getting opportunities that being a writer alone wouldn't get him.

He never hosted it did he? Correct me if I'm wrong but would surely be way beyond his skill set even then.

It's true though that he did benefit from being seen as a "personality" which also tended to obscure the increasingly mediocre quality of his output.

idunnosomename

Quote from: wrec on August 06, 2022, 12:33:39 PMHe never hosted it did he? Correct me if I'm wrong but would surely be way beyond his skill set even then.

It's true though that he did benefit from being seen as a "personality" which also tended to obscure the increasingly mediocre quality of his output.
no he was on the teams four times in 2011-12, arguably his height of fame as part of the twitterati

Kankurette

Quote from: fancywookiee on August 06, 2022, 10:59:43 AMOh, no they still do. If a trans athlete doesn't "dominate the competition" they're "hiding their true ability" to lull people into a false sense of security so that people will be more accepting of the fairness of them competing.

Again back to the enemy being so strong that they are on the brink of total domination but also so weak that they can't hope to stop the movement of the righteous...
It's Hubbard all over again. If she'd won, they'd have moaned. She came last and they still moaned.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: wrec on August 06, 2022, 12:33:39 PMHe never hosted it did he? Correct me if I'm wrong but would surely be way beyond his skill set even then.

My mistake. He didn't host.

Mindy Simmons

Quote from: DreadedScotsman on August 05, 2022, 09:38:03 PMIt's a bit of a chicken and egg situation, did his inability to write lead to his obsession or did his obsession lead to his inability to write.

Yes.

Really though, I think the Internet obsession came first. He admitted he often had to leave the house for cafes without Internet access (in the days before Wi-Fi) in order to write, and that Arthur Mathews  could write three pages in the time it took him to write a few lines.

mtpromises

The writing block theory is pretty suspect.  I only found out about the mess BC is in because I thought Motherland S2 wasn't funny and realized BC was no longer one of the writers.

He was also directing in America.  He did 3 or 5 episodes of some failed network sitcom and mentioned he was offered an episode of Only Murders in the Building before it was withdrawn because of his bigotry.

If Peter Bonerz and Fred Savage can second career as TV director, BC woulda been set for life.

grainger

Quote from: fancywookiee on August 06, 2022, 10:59:43 AMOh, no they still do. If a trans athlete doesn't "dominate the competition" they're "hiding their true ability" to lull people into a false sense of security so that people will be more accepting of the fairness of them competing.

That's also classic conspiracy theory logic: no matter the outcome of something, it's always more evidence for the conspiracy.

shoulders

It's also further evidence that they don't really care about the sporting arguments (which are in my view the only reasons to debate the matter) or the sport itself, only the worrying prospect that a transperson may develop fame and a sympathetic public profile from it in a similar way a black Muslim illegal immigrant did (Mo Farah, unless that isn't clear).

Kankurette

I've seen a few trans people at Rebellion. It's an accepting kind of festival.

king_tubby

I saw a woman in an 'Adult Human Female' t-shirt at Deer Shed last weekend. She looked like she was having a shit time though.

Now C:\Users\Glinner\Desktop\pointydick is at 14GB he's happy to pull the ladder up behind him